AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,524 reviews
Wow
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 20, 2017
A life changing experience. Had the time of my life with them and nothing can compare to the friends and memory i have made from there.
Great opportunities offered
A fun but productive work place
CorpMember (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 20, 2017
I have learned and grow alot through this program. It is a life changing experience. I. have made good friends in this program. Most of the sponsors are really wonderful people.
Pros
Free breakfast lunch and dinner, Healthcare, Great resources
Cons
Not that much diversity
Big commitment with big outcomes
Resident Services Health Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 18, 2017
Serving as an AmeriCorps VISTA I got the chance to pay off my student loans or use the money towards continuing education. I also got a non-competitive eligibility after serving a full year term which will help me find a job within my degree field after my year of service. Overall it was a great experience, however having a family who depend on my income and only making a living stipend made things difficult and stressful at times.
Amazing culture and wonderful people
Volunteer Resource Manager (Current Employee) –  IndianaJuly 18, 2017
I could not ask for better people to be around. Whether training, serving, or socializing over lunch, this is absolutely the FINEST group of individuals I have ever had the privilege of meeting. If one person has a need, the group is often able to assist in some way, and advice, support, and suggestions are always there. The stipend could be a little better, of course, but it does come fairly close to covering personal expenses related to serving the host organizations or commuting to the office. The stipend is definitely NOT a livable amount, however, so be aware that this cannot be expected to cover living expenses.
Pros
support and advice
Cons
stipend amount is low
Very easy going place to work
Tutor/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 17, 2017
I would definitely recommend to someone who is need for a career start especially any one interested in pursuing education. I also encourage anyone who is need of a gap opportunity while still ttrying to decide your path.
Pros
new friendships, some fun city events holiday pay
Cons
no real days off
Volunteered Service
Family Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 17, 2017
The staff was great and the service provided made a difference. The program ended after the service term because the program wasn't meeting the goals set by higher management.
Buen ambiente
HHA/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRJuly 15, 2017
Me encanto trabajarcon los envejecientes participar en talleresy manualidades
Very good work place.
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Peekskill, NYJuly 14, 2017
This company put you to work and you accomplished a lot of different things during the year. They also put you in places that teach you thing that help further your goals.
Pros
Everything was great
Cons
N/a
Rewarding
Fundamental Services (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 13, 2017
Enables an individual to provide great customer service to individuals who may not receive them typically. However, it is a great organization to work.
Pros
great people
Cons
can be hectic at times
Was a very rewarding experience
Preschool Instructor (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJuly 13, 2017
For the two years that I committed to AmeriCorps it was very helpful in giving me an education award to help pay off my student loans. It was very fulfilling to give back to the community as well.

Want to know more about AmeriCorps?

Ask a question
Americorps Experience
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSJuly 13, 2017
I was really passionate to be of service to the people and the community. And the travel was something I really enjoyed and would love to continue. Meeting different personalities while doing my service year was quite interesting.
Pros
Traveling, Education Award, Meeting New people
Cons
nothing
Poor leadership
Personal Debt Counselor (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, NYJuly 13, 2017
The CEO was a humble person, at least he pretended to be. Poor leadership in middle management. Raises were not good, very strict and not flexible with working hours.
Not what they are selling
FEMA Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 13, 2017
The term is totally not how they sell it, so watch out for that. The travel was cool, and the bonds you make with people are great too. the work is not watch you expect usually, and if it is you are pretty lucky. Just do your research before going into it. Not on their website but from people who have actually done the program. they will give you more insight than anything the Americorps website will ever say.
Pros
bonds with people, travel, paid housing
Cons
long work hours, short breaks, almost no health coverage, very little living stipend, poverty level food budget, poor housing conditions and in typically bad neighborhoods
Americorps TCCC
AmeriCorps Team Member (Former Employee) –  Hoopa, CAJuly 13, 2017
If you like being in a rich culture both with the Native Americans or The environmental specialist who train you. Whether its just cutting grass or going on disaster travel, its pretty much an adventure.
The best ever
Member (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 12, 2017
If you are looking for a great job than you will not do any better going anywhere else than AmeriCorps. It's a very homey feeling safety net organization.
Americorps
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJuly 12, 2017
Great opportunity to get started working for a government agency and I enjoyed working outdoors at a variety of national parks. The work was very tough and pay was basically a small stipend. 10 hour days were worked often.
Mixed bag
Stewardship Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Nevada City, CAJuly 11, 2017
While you can gain invaluable job experience, your program and your job position dictate your overall opinion of the AmeriCorps Program rather than the program itself.
Great to do right after high school or taking a year off from college.
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 11, 2017
Extremely challenging and rewarding experience. Extremely big on culture. You learn a lot of patience and develop skills you didn't know you had. The most enjoyable part of the job is the small moments you have with your students, that let you your work is not in vain.
Good
Minnesota GreenCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 9, 2017
Americorps provides great opportunities to individuals looking to further develop their working skills. Americorps also provides help with finding jobs afterwards.
its alright
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Vinton, IAJuly 8, 2017
has its up and downs. whether you enjoy it really just depends on your team, your team leader, and the projects that you get assigned to. its a lot of work so prepare yourself

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4