AmeriCorps Employee Reviews in United States

Showing all 1,189 reviews
Excellent Opportunity
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 17, 2016
I had a great time in this position and treasure the experiences and the people I met along the way. I rated compensation/benefits lower because obviously the pay is minimal and health benefits nonexistent; however, it's an enriching experience that has a lot of nonmonetary benefits.
Pros
Amazing people you will meet who are dedicated to service.
Cons
You might be treated like an intern or less-than by agency staff.
Very nice mission but its employees get the short stick
YMCA Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDNovember 15, 2015
I did Americorps because I wanted to find an excuse to get back into school.

The Ed Segal award is $5700 before taxes and a lot of schools are willing to either give full rides or match the scholarship offer per semester.

That's great, BUT throughout the entire year you really don't know what to expect and connecting with youth was great. More often than not I was displaced and put into situations where I was struggling sometimes on how I was going to get my hours.

Its unfair that sometimes there is work and sometimes there isn't and your schedule is ALWAYS fluctuating.
Pros
You get a grant for school and meet amazing people
Cons
Crazy schedule, VERY LOW PAY and there arent any finance courses offered on how to manage a $1400 salary
Resource Development Coordinator
Resource Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILDecember 21, 2015
Great opportunity in the Americorps program. This was a great experience. When I began working as a VISTA for Habitat for Humanity they did not have any events in place to raise awareness and funds. After 2 years of service I created events that generated additional revenue and extended the awareness in the community.
Pros
Created all agency events
Cons
work enviroment
volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 1, 2016
I was only a volunteer so I cannot provide much about compensation, benefits, hours, etc. but the staff and workers were very friendly and a joy to be around
Great
Fellow (Current Employee) –  Tower Grove ParkMarch 18, 2016
I love this organization. I think they have a great mission as well as a great supporting staff that will help you through every step
Pros
health benefits, school hours
Cons
high need schools
CORE Member
CORE Member (Former Employee) –  Selinsgrove, PAJanuary 25, 2016
Working for AmeriCorps I was able to have a lot of experience with helping the community. Not only my own community, but others as well. It taught me the benefits of helping the community and the importance of gathering together as one whole to help.
Pros
Trips, people we met, etc.
Cons
The pay was too low
Volunteer experience in community initiatives
Volunteer Development Center (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoSeptember 8, 2015
Excellent public relations experience
Project management skills
Experience as member of volunteer comission supervised by first Lady s office.
Activities coordinator experience
The most enjoyable part of the job was developing initiatives as social initiatives in which I could see the real needs of communities. Volunteer experience allowed me to promote social projects and to be more conscious about real life.
Pros
Volunteer experience, grant for studies, federal job experience, the opportunity to learn about non profit organizations
Cons
low salary (stipend), very complicated benefits, no opportunity to have a second job
Playworks Loves Kids and their Employees
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 28, 2015
Typical day at work was to reconstruct every class into a physical learning environment for both students and teachers. And at recess, my job was to make sure that everyone was participating in inclusive play in every activity.

The company itself makes sure that the staff and volunteers are always in a great mood and its like one big family. They support you with anything you need, big or small.

The pay was great, and the benefits for furthering your education are all worth the hard work and play.
Pros
Monthly Meetings held at Great Locations; Education Award
Cons
No Cons
Volunteer In Service To America
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 10, 2015
If you want to make a difference and make things happen, you owe it to yourself to join AmeriCorps. At the end of my term I couldn't have felt any better. I really saw what I was doing as making a difference in my community.
Benefits
Cons
Stipend
All Depends on you Placement
Veteran Success Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, CONovember 4, 2015
Great concept in theory. Depending on placement you have an opportunity to learn a lot and do hands-on training. Benefits/Pay is almost impossible to live off of and some of the things offered initially such as food assistance and health insurance allowance end up not actually being available/ helpful.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
No benefits/ insufficient salary/ lack of support
This is a great opportunity and is recommended for anyone.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cadiz, OhioNovember 3, 2015
I have gained the confidence to work professionally with the public and with fellow members statewide. I have also found the desire to pursue by professional career by enrolling in graduate school.
Pros
Health benefits, Mileage compensation, Flexibility
Cons
Work alone on site
Exciting chance to challenge yourself
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 10, 2016
Long work days
Many opportunities to train your leadership
Management is very supportive
Heavily team based, but keep the goal in mind
Hardest part of the job was trying to get the required amount of hours
Most enjoyable part was the culture of the organization
Pros
Health care, education award, networking
Cons
Long hours, stipend
Great experience, lots of networking and real world opportunities.
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Vinton, IAMarch 3, 2016
I have been in this program for about 8 months and counting. It has been a really great experience. It has helped me mature and see what real world work is like. A typical day at work is working directly with FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) personnel, in an office setting. I have learned a lot of valuable things for my future. My co-workers are the same people I live with on the job. It gets difficult at times because we are never away from each other, but it also helps us to communicate and figure things out. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to travel with people who you have come to know as your second family, and visiting new places in the United States that I have never been to.
Pros
Free food, Room and board paid for, and travel is paid for, awards given at the end of the program.
Cons
Limited healthcare, closeness to strangers.
productive and fun
Teacher's Aide/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 25, 2015
Great people to work with,job security and benefits where not there. I loved working with the children and teachers helping develop young minds,and putting them on the right path.
productive and great place to work
Corps Member / assistant team leader (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSJuly 13, 2016
Typical day at work would be to wake up eat go to work to volunteer for multiple organizations to help better the community.

I learned a lot working there I learned a lot about leadership and how to adapt tot he work place and environment.

Management was amazing they always worked with us and many other volunteers.

my coworkers were made up of 7 diverse other people who were eager to make a difference in multiple communities across the states.

The hardest part about working for AmeriCorps was the different climate changes basically heat and dealing with other personalities from different people.

The most enjoyable part about my job was waking up and putting a smile on someone's face.
Pros
free everything breakfast, lunch, dinner, small styping, travel for free, earnig certifications, awards and money for college, healthcare
Cons
N/A
Normal day working for Americorps
Teen Center Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 7, 2016
A typical day at work is making sure the kids were signed in and ready to go for programming. I learned how to communicate better with kids and getting a better understanding on how they think and react to things. Management was great they always made sure i was prepared for the upcoming events. Co-workers were awesome to be around they helped me mature as a young man. The kids in the community was rough but we had to stay on them and make sure they did the right thing . The hardest part about this job was the attitudes from the kids but eventually i learned there ways and adapted to them. But building those relationships with those kids made me a better person that was the most enjoyable part about the job.
Pros
A vlot of basketball
Cons
no lunch break
Love helping the youth in our community
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 1, 2016
Reviewed the Mentoring Program design and also created as well as updated all WIA ROOTS forms and documents.
Prepared and maintained activity logs to reflect networking meetings, luncheons, and other meetings or trainings.
Recruited and introduced Mentors and Mentees into the program and established a rapport with the program youths in order to gain their trust and understand their needs.
Matched Mentors and Mentees using a data sheet of interest to ensure they have mutual interest that they can relate in order for their mentoring relationship to be successful.
Created marketing materials in order to establish sustainability, solicit donations for mentors/mentees from local businesses to support mentor/mentee meetings.
Pros
Being asn active member of the community and engaging with the youth
Cons
No Funds making it impossible to do things with the students
Great way to serve while getting experience
Family Services Assistant / AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Watsonville, CAJune 21, 2016
A typical day varied-it was always changing. I learned a lot about working in a nonprofit setting and how an emergency shelter is managed. There was a site director and a site supervisor - during my year, the site director quit about a month into the service year which was extremely stressful to not have that management. It made transitioning into the position very difficult.That was definitely the hardest part.
The most enjoyable part - getting to know the families and being fully immersed in the community.
Pros
Basic healthcare, subsidized housing, stipend, loan forebearance, education award
Cons
Low stipend
AmeriCorp
AmeriCorp Summer Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSApril 11, 2016
I enjoyed working for AmeriCorp Vista as a summer associate. My co-workers and I coordinated workshops for kids ages 4-18 about eating healthy and exercising daily. We interacted with the students by doing push ups, sit ups, and jumping jacks contests. We had a few students compete to see who could name the most fruits and vegetables. We went around our community talking to people we knew that grew their own fruits and/or vegetables. They shared with us how growing your own fruits and vegetables were healthier than what you get out of the stores. The hardest part of the job, at first, were finding different farmers that had their own garden. It's not many in our community. The most enjoyable part was being around the kids and interacting with them and talking to them about how important it is to eat healthy and exercise daily.
Great Experience
Project Apple Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bellflower, CAOctober 20, 2015
A great experience where you get to work with children and help them achieve in school. A good experience for people wanting to become teachers!
Pros
good experience, good work environment
Cons
low pay, no benefits

4.4