AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
An excellent experience in service to community during a time of crisis
Homeland Security Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHSeptember 23, 2017
My job was self-directed and self-described. My duties included developing a state-wide system of collaboration among emergency responders in response to the terrorist attacks on 9/11/01. Little direction was available from the Americorps staff, but that left me open to utilize my experiences from previous years of service with the federal government and the US Army to develop a program that would work for our state. The most difficult part of the position was navigating the various government networks already in existence and getting them to collaborate their efforts toward a single task.
Pros
Flexible hours, education assistance, good working environment
Cons
lots of travel, lack of direct from supervisory personnel
Volunteer experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMSeptember 22, 2017
I was a AmeriCorpVista volunteer for 2 years and learned a lot about non profit agencies in the San Juan county area. Very valuable experience and agencies were able to get a volunteer placed in their agencies to help with different programs at no cost to them.
Fantastic!
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Perry Point, MDSeptember 21, 2017
I was a volunteer, but I was paid a living stipend, along with a food and travel budget. Health insurance for the entire term of the contract. Housing was covered.

While employed, I was making so many great connections for future opportunities. There is much room for advancement if you choose to stay with this company, but if that's not your goal, you will make contact with at least a dozen other potential employers
Pros
Food budget, travel budget, living stipend, healthcare, connections
Hard work but rewarding
AmeriCorps VISTA (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IASeptember 20, 2017
As an AmeriCorps VISTA with Campus Compact, I'm basically living my job for a year. I have housing provided for me and live on campus in a dorm room as well as a meal plan. The pay as an AmeriCorps VISTA is not lucrative, it is intended to expose you to the poverty rate of your local area. Since I'm saving money in regards to having food and residence provided, my living allowance is more than sufficient.

I'm just starting and have only been working at my site for 1 month out of the 12 month contract. So far, I am extremely busy. There's a lot of effort involved in trying to organize students and community partners but the work is rewarding and never monotonous. My on-site supervisor is great and an extremely helpful mentor. My VISTA leader as well as the Campus Compact organization have also been readily available and supportive.

AmeriCorps is a great way to improve the lives of others in local communities as well as establish a framework that will continue to help others in the future.
Pros
Dynamic, everchanging environment that is emotionally rewarding
Cons
Long hours, little "alone" time, isolation
Productive and competitive work
Elementary Educator/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 19, 2017
The management is amazing but very serious about what they do. I love helping kids so I feel that anyone that want to be in the education field should consider this program
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
Short breaks
Meaningful, yet not worth the effort you put in.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTSeptember 19, 2017
Working for AmeriCorps, specifically for Great Oaks Charter School in Connecticut, was a meaningful experience because of the students I worked with, but it was VERY poorly managed. AmeriCorps members were often undermined, undervalued, and overworked. Extremely poor communication and poor training lead to an overwhelming amount of issues that had an impact on the students. The Great Oaks Charter School as a FOR-PROFIT organization does a shady job distributing it's massive wealth; while new staff were taken on fancy retreats, schools in the poorest of areas throughout New England received poor funding.

AmeriCorps by itself is a great organization, but you certainly won't be doing it for the money. Serving through AmeriCorps is a great opportunity for recent graduates to get out of their comfort zones, and gain critical work experience.
Pros
Have an opportunity to make an impact
Cons
paid at poverty-level, yet doing alot of hard work
Great work place
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  El Cerrito, CASeptember 19, 2017
Just apply it's worth it if you enjoy working with children and in hospitals. Americorps aslo offer part time full time jobs after your first 2 years .
Awesome experience
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJSeptember 19, 2017
AmeriCorps NCCC and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) partnered to create FEMA Corps. This unique program unites individuals who share a passion for service and provides the ultimate professional development experience.
Awesome yet complicated
Literacy Tutor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 19, 2017
AmeriCorps is a great job to work if you love working with children and plan on attending college. The way AmeriCorps is set up, you get paid a stipend, so biweekly you receive a check for the same amount/ A negative thing about this job is that it only last a year, but at the end of that year, you receive a money that can only go towards college. Working with children and receiving money for school is the best job.
Pros
Working with children, the pay
Cons
can only work 2 years
With my most recent Americorp experience Management could have done much better
volunteer, I (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 18, 2017
Even though management sucked. Working with the children was rewarding. They gave you something to look forward to every day. Knowing you where helping a student to achieve a goal in there learning was the most awesome thing. The hardest part of the job was knowing you couldn't reach them all. But if you just got two or more students to achieve and doing better in whatever learning area they were struggling with. You knew you did your job.
Pros
Was seeing students that struggling to learn now learning.
Cons
Getting management to do there part in getting what was needed.
Community building and productive
Summer of Service Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 18, 2017
This position allowed me the opportunity to become familiar with community service programs nationally. The workplace was community-based and residential. The hardest part of the job was being on call 24/7 when working as the Resident Manager. The most enjoyable part was making myself available to over 250 18-24 year old youth.

I had the opportunity to meet people from all over the world who had the same vision in mind which was to serve communities.
Pros
Frequently introduced to community organizations
Cons
New group of Corps Members every 9 mos.
Great experience
Coach (Current Employee) –  Emmett, IDSeptember 18, 2017
I was able to work in a school district before deciding my career change. The work wasn't too hard and I met a lot of great people. The only downside is that it is volunteer work so theres no money in it.
Servicing the community
Member (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 15, 2017
I was stationed out of Denver, Colorado and traveled to New Mexico, Arizona, Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma. Each state had natural disasters that I assisted with the clean up. There were different team leads and very diverse. The hardest part is when we have to pack up our area and drive to another state. I enjoyed meeting different people from all walks of life and swapping life stories. The social gatherings were memorable.
Pros
Seeing smiles on people faces once you help with a project.
Cons
Program is too short.
Great program for young and old college students.
Girl Scout Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSSeptember 15, 2017
AmeriCorps is a great program help pay for college expenses. Working and meeting the different people and learning at the same time was an awesome experience.
we built community
National Service Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNSeptember 14, 2017
AmeriCorps is a national service program with lots of community outreach programs. it was great to make improvements in our surrounding areas located in SE Minnesota.
Pros
Meeting and working w/ volunteers
Cons
end of program
Great first job
VISTA Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 12, 2017
This was my first job straight out of high school working as a VISTA intern. The money is good for someone heading to college, and they typically offer some sort of financial help that can be applied to the following school year.
Intense working/living/ traveling experience with 18-24 year olds
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 12, 2017
I did two years with AmeriCorps NCCC. It was a good opportunity to travel and meet diverse groups of people. It challenges your living skills, communication skills, and stress management skills.
review
Teacher's Aid/After school teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 7, 2017
Amazing company to work for. I loved the environment and everyone that I worked with. The children that I worked with changed my life and opened my eyes to new things.
Addressed health disparities within the community and assisted in the creation of programs.
HPAC Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rootstown, OHSeptember 6, 2017
I would do a lot of my work from home, such as emails, phone calls, and lesson plans. I went out on site a few days a week. I would go to schools and meet with my HPAC students. The meetings are created and setup the way you chose to. I enjoyed having the freedom to approach this position in the way I desired. Each week the students and I would discuss which health disparity they were going to address in their project and how we would go about implementing it. Later in the year I helped the students write grants to request funding for their projects. The students would then put their projects into action. In late April they would present their projects at Scholar's Day. This was a huge event that all the students involved in HPAC would attend. It resembled a science fair. Awards were given at the end for the best projects. I would also spend a good portion of my meetings, with the students, prepping for Scholar's Day. Once Scholar's Day was complete the students and myself would focus on helping within the community. The people I worked with were amazing, supportive, encouraging, and helpful. I learned endless skills from this work, I was exposed to many cultures and learned to conquer all types of new challenges. The most difficult part of this position was jumping into something I knew nothing about and making it work. This was also one of the more rewarding aspects of this position. I came a long way building upon my own skillset and all the while I got to help others. This is was one of the best experiences of my life.
Pros
building skills, confidence and contacts, helping others, teaching children, watching the amazing differences that children make within their community
Cons
It could be overwhelming and very stressful leading up to Scholar's Day.
Enjoyed doing a graphic design job that will be there for years to come.
AmeriCorps Intern (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NMSeptember 5, 2017
Worked on research about the museum to get a good insight of what it was about. I learned about the history which lead me to the design I chose to do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4