AmeriCorps Employee Reviews in United States

Showing all 1,209 reviews
productive and fast paced
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 24, 2016
Well being in a volunteer program I definitely helped a lot of people. I learned to be selfless and also built leadership skills. Responsible, reliable, flexible and accountable are the big key words in the program and have picked up on all of this qualities.
Pros
great resume builder
Cons
low pay
One of the best but challenging experiences you will have
Field Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Vinton, IAAugust 22, 2016
This is not a job for someone looking to make money, but if your focus is to help people and travel this is it. It is a government position so that comes with a lot of rules and regulations. The work itself could be anything from disaster relief to doing taxes to running a summer camp.
Productive and fun, but also very proffesional
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Vinton, IAAugust 20, 2016
A typical day at work in AmeriaCorps is different for every team due to the fact that each team travels to a different state to a different sponsor. Personally for me it involved hands on work in construction for the first month, cleaning, maintenance, and working with the developmentally disabled for the next two months and the last month I was in AmeriCorps before resigning, I was air sealing and insulating attics. I learned many new skills such as, using proper Personal Protective Equipment and tools for cutting specific wood a certain way. The hardest part of the job was waking up early and constantly living with the same people you worked with 24/7, but it also made it very enjoyable.
I enjoyed helping others
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2016
I enjoyed helping others. My coworkers were a pleasure to work with and I learned a lot of new and interesting things. I really enjoyed working with the elderly population, because they are very knowledgeable.
good place to learn
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIAugust 18, 2016
this was a good learning opportunity for me though you live at a poverty level stipend while you volunteer. It felt good to help members of my community save their homes and be able to sustain financially.
Enjoyable place to work from start to finish lots of opportunities for growth.
Options Parent Partner (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAAugust 13, 2016
Wonderful work experience, very encouraging people to work with. Some lack of understanding about family dynamics and lots of opportunities to grow and learn both personally and professionally. I truly enjoyed my experience working with Americorps and feeling like I was part of something bigger.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Some Lack of understanding of family situations.
Productive and fun
VISTA Member (Former Employee) –  Green River, WYAugust 12, 2016
The job was fun and productive but the job was only part time and the pay wasn't the greatest. The best part was just the work experience and job reference.
Pros
Friendly coworkers and great experience
Cons
The pay
Engaging and Prodocutive
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 11, 2016
A typical day at work included student accessibility in education.
I learned about management in classroom settings with 30+ students.
Pros
Support student involvement
Cons
Limited locations
Meeting new people and learning to handle different cimcumstances.
Ramp Assiant (Former Employee) –  FlorenceAugust 9, 2016
Answering phone and updating clients information , updating building log.Going out to sites and writing the article for the paper.
Awesome experience working with kids and planning educational lessons
Member (Current Employee) –  Knox, PAAugust 8, 2016
It was my frist summer working with children and it turned out to be an amazing experience. I enjoyed planning lessons and getting the children involved in learning but also spending time outside being active. The balance was enough on both sides and it allowed me to get to know the kids better because of it.
One of the best experience you will ever have
Corps Member and Assistant Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 8, 2016
AmeriCorps NCCC is a team based group that serves across the United States. Your team is deployed into four unique areas over a span of 10 months. The first month or two you'll participate in training, team building exercises, and also receiving First Aid,CPR, AED, Shelter/Disaster relief certifications. You will be stationed in one of the five regions that AmeriCorps covers for that ten months.The range of work that you'll be doing can go for working with Habitat for Humanity to working in state parks or even being able to teach 8th graders about astrology at a science camp. The age requirements are 18 to 24.
Pros
Traveling, Positive environment, Excellent training, Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Free lodging
Cons
healthcare
Positive outlook on children and the community
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INAugust 5, 2016
My typical day at work is interacting with the children of the Boy's and Girls Club. I created activities to teach children how to live a healthy lifestyle and become responsible citizens. While working at AmeriCorps I developed communication skills with my students, their parents, and my supervisor. I worked with my co-workers on a low level and engaged with my supervisor for weekly meetings and student behavior reports. My most challenging part of working here was giving the equal amount of attention to each child. The most enjoyable part was being able to help children meet there short-term goals and building a relationship with their parents. I also enjoyed seeing the children in the community and the positive changes I have helped them made.
Amazing group of people out to change the world for the better
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 5, 2016
It was amazing to get great training from the start, to work with like minded professionals, to get to know your peers and extend help with the problem solving sessions.
The school I worked at was amazing and I think the hardest part was that I was so sad at the end of the contract that I had to go back and look for another job, the kids were amazing, the staff at the school were amazing.
Working in the college and career center helping homeless high schoolers look for employment, apply for colleges, and apply for job corps and the military was interesting, fun, challenging, and overall a fantastic experience.
Management was great, coworkers were great, the students of course were great.
The most enjoyable part of my job was getting an invitation to a college graduation a couple of years later and seeing how the hard work that the student pored into his life ended up with him being a huge success and being able to help support his family.
Pros
Students, staff, managers, coworkers, learning something every day
Cons
the living stipend was minimal
Great experience for young adults
Assistant team leader (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 3, 2016
As a member of AmeriCorps NCCC, you will do a variety of things. I served in the Southwest region. I spent time in Kansas demolishing decaying houses and painting buildings, New Mexico constructing a volunteer house, working with a day care center and Boys and Girls Club and in Oklahoma maintaining baseball fields and working a Boys and Girls Club summer camp. There is a very clear chain of command starting with the region director at the top and the corps members at the bottom. It is great to live and work with a team of people that are your age and also have a passion to help make this country a better place. This could also be the most difficult part of the job. However, the pros outweigh the cons, it is a great program. My favorite part was traveling the country and getting to spend time in different communities.
Pros
Housing, food and transportation included
Cons
Rustic living situations
Rewarding
Volunteer Coordinator at D.M. Therrell H.S. (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 28, 2016
I really enjoyed working with all kinds of people. We helped different people at different locations and we had different programs for the students. It was very nice when we took the student up to the mountains, they really enjoyed that. the management team was really nice and understanding, and so were my co-workers. It was through Hands On Atlanta that I got the job with Atlanta Public Schools. I really like being AmeriCorps.
Pros
Going to differnt sites.
Great company to gain work experience and network
Children's Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 28, 2016
Wonderful internship program. Service oriented, and team oriented. Opportunity to learn about different non profits and manage serious projects. Focuses on capacity building.
Pros
Child care assistance, flexible schedule.
Cons
Lots of paper work depending of non- profit.
Work with a team to strengthen communities through service
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 28, 2016
My service term with AmeriCorps was a great experience. I had to live and work with my coworkers. I was able to travel the southwest region of the country and provide support to communities in need. I would not change a thing about my year of service.
Pros
experience working with diverse groups of people
Cons
being away from family and friends
Government volunteer program
Corp Member (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 28, 2016
AmeriCorps NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps) strengthens communities and develops leaders through direct, team-based national and community service. In partnership with non-profits—secular and faith based—local municipalities, state governments, federal government, national and state parks, Indian tribes, and schools, members complete service projects throughout the region they are assigned.

AmeriCorps NCCC is a full-time, team-based residential program for men and women age 18-24. Members are assigned to one of five campuses — Denver, CO; Sacramento, CA; Baltimore, MD; Vicksburg, MS; and Vinton, IA.

Drawn from the successful models of the Civilian Conservation Corps of the 1930s and the U.S. military, AmeriCorps NCCC is built on the belief that civic responsibility is an inherent duty of all citizens and that national service programs work effectively with local communities to address pressing needs.
Children and Community Service in One
Member committed (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2016
Americorps is an amazing program that combines the creative culture of an after school program to community service. It was an enjoyable experience to meet other staff from other after school programs and help those in need. It was a great way to get the parents and children involved in the community service during after school.
Pros
Useful training, great pay, funds for college
Volunteer program to get you out there
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 25, 2016
This was a 10 month volunteer program. It enables people to step out of their comfort zone, travel and help local communities around the states.
Pros
free hosuing and board
Cons
mentally and physcially challenging

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4