AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,530 reviews
Encouraging
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJuly 26, 2017
Serving as an AmeriCorps volunteer encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone and enter into education. As a social work student, I learned that social work is performed in daily duties of supporting others and caring for their needs. Many jobs can involve social workers, and AmeriCorps encouraged me to not only encourage others, but to step forward into service and find a career out of helping and supporting others.
Corps Member
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 25, 2017
A typical day at work was full of some challenges that we had to overcome but we were able to get almost of of our tasks done at the end of the workday. I learned how to work better as a team as well as basic carpentry and how to live with other people. Our team leader was often able to assist us in getting our work done on time and making sure that each team member was feeling alright. Our work place culture was kind of a struggle at first at all of our worksites due to having little to no experience with the tasks at hand. The hardest part of the job for me was working in weather that I wasn't use to such as working in 100+ degree temperatures to temperatures as low as 10 degrees. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing how much your team as done by the end of the day see how much of an impact the team made on the community.
Pros
On the job experience and educational reward grants
Cons
Working in humid environments
Great starting point for recent graduates
Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 25, 2017
My first job after graduating college was through AmeriCorps as an afterschool program instructor. This opportunity gave me the opportunity to break into the education field and provided me with training and coaching to move upward within the agency I partnered with.
Pros
professional development opportunities
Cons
low salary
It's an experience
College Possible Coach (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 25, 2017
In general, you are contracted to work whenever and as much as possible when an AmeriCorp member. You are not compensated more than a small government stipend.
Fun and gainful knowledge of the Education System.
Member/Reading Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wilson, OKJuly 24, 2017
I tutored school age children everyday through reading. Everyday I had to log tutor sessions and time spent serving. I coordinated with teachers and school staff to plan tutor sessions. Through coordination and planning I was able to apply my skills to provide a fun learning environment. I learned to organize, persevere, and teach children to read. This was a great family orientated workplace. The hardest part of my job was to learn how to apply my skills and also learn time management. The most enjoyable part of this job was that I was able to change lives of children who struggled to read.
Pros
Rewarding, Schedule
Cons
No breaks, no healthcare
Being an AmeriCorps member.
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Knox, PAJuly 22, 2017
I learned quite a bit working with Americorps and the Boys and Girls Club. Through my time as a member of AmeriCorps, I learned about patience and seeing things differently then how I would normally see them.
Wow
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 20, 2017
A life changing experience. Had the time of my life with them and nothing can compare to the friends and memory i have made from there.
Great opportunities offered
A fun but productive work place
CorpMember (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 20, 2017
I have learned and grow alot through this program. It is a life changing experience. I. have made good friends in this program. Most of the sponsors are really wonderful people.
Pros
Free breakfast lunch and dinner, Healthcare, Great resources
Cons
Not that much diversity
Big commitment with big outcomes
Resident Services Health Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 18, 2017
Serving as an AmeriCorps VISTA I got the chance to pay off my student loans or use the money towards continuing education. I also got a non-competitive eligibility after serving a full year term which will help me find a job within my degree field after my year of service. Overall it was a great experience, however having a family who depend on my income and only making a living stipend made things difficult and stressful at times.
Amazing culture and wonderful people
Volunteer Resource Manager (Current Employee) –  IndianaJuly 18, 2017
I could not ask for better people to be around. Whether training, serving, or socializing over lunch, this is absolutely the FINEST group of individuals I have ever had the privilege of meeting. If one person has a need, the group is often able to assist in some way, and advice, support, and suggestions are always there. The stipend could be a little better, of course, but it does come fairly close to covering personal expenses related to serving the host organizations or commuting to the office. The stipend is definitely NOT a livable amount, however, so be aware that this cannot be expected to cover living expenses.
Pros
support and advice
Cons
stipend amount is low
Very easy going place to work
Tutor/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 17, 2017
I would definitely recommend to someone who is need for a career start especially any one interested in pursuing education. I also encourage anyone who is need of a gap opportunity while still ttrying to decide your path.
Pros
new friendships, some fun city events holiday pay
Cons
no real days off
Volunteered Service
Family Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 17, 2017
The staff was great and the service provided made a difference. The program ended after the service term because the program wasn't meeting the goals set by higher management.
Buen ambiente
HHA/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRJuly 15, 2017
Me encanto trabajarcon los envejecientes participar en talleresy manualidades
Very good work place.
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Peekskill, NYJuly 14, 2017
This company put you to work and you accomplished a lot of different things during the year. They also put you in places that teach you thing that help further your goals.
Pros
Everything was great
Cons
N/a
Rewarding
Fundamental Services (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 13, 2017
Enables an individual to provide great customer service to individuals who may not receive them typically. However, it is a great organization to work.
Pros
great people
Cons
can be hectic at times
Was a very rewarding experience
Preschool Instructor (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJuly 13, 2017
For the two years that I committed to AmeriCorps it was very helpful in giving me an education award to help pay off my student loans. It was very fulfilling to give back to the community as well.
Americorps Experience
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSJuly 13, 2017
I was really passionate to be of service to the people and the community. And the travel was something I really enjoyed and would love to continue. Meeting different personalities while doing my service year was quite interesting.
Pros
Traveling, Education Award, Meeting New people
Cons
nothing
Poor leadership
Personal Debt Counselor (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, NYJuly 13, 2017
The CEO was a humble person, at least he pretended to be. Poor leadership in middle management. Raises were not good, very strict and not flexible with working hours.
Not what they are selling
FEMA Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 13, 2017
The term is totally not how they sell it, so watch out for that. The travel was cool, and the bonds you make with people are great too. the work is not watch you expect usually, and if it is you are pretty lucky. Just do your research before going into it. Not on their website but from people who have actually done the program. they will give you more insight than anything the Americorps website will ever say.
Pros
bonds with people, travel, paid housing
Cons
long work hours, short breaks, almost no health coverage, very little living stipend, poverty level food budget, poor housing conditions and in typically bad neighborhoods
Americorps TCCC
AmeriCorps Team Member (Former Employee) –  Hoopa, CAJuly 13, 2017
If you like being in a rich culture both with the Native Americans or The environmental specialist who train you. Whether its just cutting grass or going on disaster travel, its pretty much an adventure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4