AmeriCorps Employee Reviews in United States

Showing all 1,189 reviews
Great opportunity working with students in the school system.
Graduation Coach (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJuly 21, 2016
Worked with students in academics, behavioral situations, and attendance. I learned that youth have a lot on their plate in today's society. The hardest part was dealing with the students personal problems and being one of the people at the school they could talk to.The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I created with,not only the students, but the staff.
Productive,educationl and travel experience
Free money for food
Living stipend
long workdays
extra activities
Pros
free food, travel
Cons
unorganized
Varies
VISTA (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 21, 2016
My experience as a VISTA was different. I worked for 2 different supervisors during my year, both had very different work styles. During the transition between the 2 supervisor, my program was ran and oversaw by me for 2 months, which was dificult and but great experience. I also learned that what I enjoy doing and what I want to do for the rest of my life.
Great job for those starting out!
Ohio History Service Corps (Current Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHJuly 20, 2016
AmeriCorps provided me incredible opportunities to gain experience right out of school. My site was amazing and I really enjoyed working with my co-workers. The management was helpful and guided me, especially when I first stared. The pay, which is a living stipend, is very hard to live on, and the temporary nature of the job is daunting, but overall I loved my work and would recommend it to anyone trying to get their foot in the door in a particular profession!
Pros
Great experience, scholarship money
Cons
Low pay, temporary work
Meaningful year of service in federally qualified clinics
MCPN Community HealthCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 19, 2016
Serving in a refugee clinic day in and day out was the most rewarding and gratifying experience. Many people say they wish they could travel the world. In my case, the world came to my office every day. Each day I educated refugee families on how to fill out medical admission forms, patient rights and responsibilities, as well as utilized US medical systems. Another of my larger tasks was providing walk-in assistance for refugee patients with issues regarding billing, Medicaid, housing, and other needs.

Ignorance is bliss for many people. But when trying to connect with patients who have been through more than I could ever imagine, it's better to show compassion towards what they have left behind as well as their newfound lives. Over my year of service, I learned how to be culturally sensitive, competent in what I was teaching and explaining, and so many more things.

The hardest part of my service was learning how to advocate whole-heartedly for my patients. After becoming a patient navigator, I finally understood the importance of standing up for those who cannot do it for themselves - not because they aren't incompetent, but because the system is too complex and complicated to automatically know how to navigate through it, let alone in a different language.

The most enjoyable part of my service was getting to build rapport with individual patients and their families. Knowing that I was able to relieve any bit of stress and frustration from these people was the most rewarding experience I could have ever asked for this year.
Becoming an AmeriCorps member was the best career decision I've made
Family Literacy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sunset Park, NYJuly 13, 2016
AmeriCorps gives you vital job skills, connections to potential employers, and experience. It was great to work with like-minded people who wanted to provide service to others. It put me on the right path to pursue a career in social service.
Pros
Everything else
Cons
Stipend is tough to live on
productive and great place to work
Corps Member / assistant team leader (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSJuly 13, 2016
Typical day at work would be to wake up eat go to work to volunteer for multiple organizations to help better the community.

I learned a lot working there I learned a lot about leadership and how to adapt tot he work place and environment.

Management was amazing they always worked with us and many other volunteers.

my coworkers were made up of 7 diverse other people who were eager to make a difference in multiple communities across the states.

The hardest part about working for AmeriCorps was the different climate changes basically heat and dealing with other personalities from different people.

The most enjoyable part about my job was waking up and putting a smile on someone's face.
Pros
free everything breakfast, lunch, dinner, small styping, travel for free, earnig certifications, awards and money for college, healthcare
Cons
N/A
Loved AmeriCorps
AmeriCorps Volunteer In Service To America (Former Employee) –  Follansbee, WVJuly 9, 2016
I loved AmeriCorps VISTA. Everyone should experience what I experienced in one way or another. Make a difference in a persons life changed me in such a big positive way.
Pros
Changing peoples lives
Cons
My director was terrible and in turn made everyone around her miserable
Americorps -UCO Volunteer Center
U.S. Government Volunteer Program (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKJuly 9, 2016
This was a government funded year, similar to the Peace Corps. I worked in UCO Volunteer Center, creating Ads to recruit volunteers.
Help put together the volunteer programs for the University. I learned valuable ways to recruit volunteers and how to interact with multicultural students and co-workers

At times it was hard to deal with a certain co-worker.

The most enjoyable was our trip to New Mexico, we got to fly first class.
Pros
Free coffees, Free Lunches, Airplane trips to New Mexico
Non-Profit Experience
City Year Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 8, 2016
Working with AmeriCorp in a non-profit setting was a great learning experience on how to work efficiently within a constrained budget and be able to help my direct community of underprivileged children.
Stronger and better
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 6, 2016
Working at Mission BBQ was both fun and exhausting. A typical work day consisted of interacting with customers and running in the back to brew sweet and unsweet tea, while making sure dirty trays did not pile up in the dining room. Also, i took the trash out throughout the day and bussed the tables as well. When the day was over, I took the trash out for the last time that night and put the dishes through the dishwasher and swept and mopped the dining room. Though this job was strenuous, the environment was enjoyable and pleasant to work in.
Love helping the youth in our community
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 1, 2016
Reviewed the Mentoring Program design and also created as well as updated all WIA ROOTS forms and documents.
Prepared and maintained activity logs to reflect networking meetings, luncheons, and other meetings or trainings.
Recruited and introduced Mentors and Mentees into the program and established a rapport with the program youths in order to gain their trust and understand their needs.
Matched Mentors and Mentees using a data sheet of interest to ensure they have mutual interest that they can relate in order for their mentoring relationship to be successful.
Created marketing materials in order to establish sustainability, solicit donations for mentors/mentees from local businesses to support mentor/mentee meetings.
Pros
Being asn active member of the community and engaging with the youth
Cons
No Funds making it impossible to do things with the students
Professional Development
ServiceWorks Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2016
Great experience and opportunity for professional development. Learned a lot of skills that pertain to working with low income individuals and also non-profits.
team member
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Vinton, IAJune 30, 2016
Americorps NCCC is one the most best things that has happend to me. I was able to travel to parts of the country that have not been to yet. the people were nice as well.
Meaningful Career and Changing Lives
Reading Tutor (Current Employee) –  Bartow, FLJune 29, 2016
Working with Children and help mold them. Working with them to help better themselves and build their self esteem. Teaching them problem solving skills while working with other team members to reach a 100% success rate of students graduating the program.
Pros
Working with children each day, Making your own Schedule.
Cons
Considered a Volunteer, Pay wasn't what it should have been for the hours
college job
Vista Team Member (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 29, 2016
This is a great why to work your way into the non profit sector.
Also you get to work with the urban community city wide. I was able to learn how to write grants as well as volunteer for those in need.
Awesome Oppurtunity
Porter Leath (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 28, 2016
This is a great program it allows you to get into the early childhood field and work with some blessed children. I had the chance of working with some awesome women.
Pros
education award
Cons
pay
Rewarding Gap Year
College Completion Coach (Current Employee) –  Parma, OHJune 25, 2016
Rewarding to help students realize their goals and potential throughout the semester. Great leadership opportunities available throughout the program year.
Great way to serve while getting experience
Family Services Assistant / AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Watsonville, CAJune 21, 2016
A typical day varied-it was always changing. I learned a lot about working in a nonprofit setting and how an emergency shelter is managed. There was a site director and a site supervisor - during my year, the site director quit about a month into the service year which was extremely stressful to not have that management. It made transitioning into the position very difficult.That was definitely the hardest part.
The most enjoyable part - getting to know the families and being fully immersed in the community.
Pros
Basic healthcare, subsidized housing, stipend, loan forebearance, education award
Cons
Low stipend
Great place to work.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 21, 2016
You can gain so much experience and make so many friends. It is a life changing experience. Having the ability to impact people and their lives is a great feeling.

4.4