AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,234 reviews
youth mentor, family advocate, site supervisor
LEAD YOUTH STAFF (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 28, 2016
Enjoy my term as an AmeriCorps leader, however, I did not care for the sites in which I was assigned to. Particularly dealing with co-workers/staff that that did not uphold the integrity and morale that the organization encompasses (mission statement).
Pros
great if you enjoy uplifting and rebuilding your community
Cons
this is not something you do if you're looking simply for a paycheck (you don't get paid), but you're rewareded by the work you put into your projects.
Definitely recommend Americorps ENERGY EXPRESS
Mentor to a group of children ages 7-9 (Former Employee) –  New Manchester, WVSeptember 7, 2016
I had an amazing experience with an astounding supervisor. It taught me self discipline, time management, and life lessons that I believe could never be obtained elsewhere. If you are great with children, and want to help better their lives, then I highly recommend this program. It is great for college students who need something to do over the summer, or a great first work experience for college students.
Pros
Great team bonding, many life lessons
Great way to serve your community and gain professional experience
Legal Assistant at Family Law Facilitator's Office (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 12, 2016
Great place to work at. I work in the legal field, and they train you in and out; people at the assigned site are very helpful and understanding. A lot of weekend training shifts where they say the same thing over and over again-- in other words, they like to beat a dead horse, but nevertheless, you still learn a lot. Free lunches during training events too.
Pros
free lunches, hands on experiences, great people to work with
Cons
grants are miniscule
Urban Youth Fellowship
Tutor Corp V Service Member (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 28, 2016
My year of service was an excellent experience. But it was also a learning experience. Being an AmeriCorps member takes the typical community service idea to another level. Serving a community outside of my own was pretty enlightening and rewarding. I was a tutor at a charter school for 11 months. It was probably the most thankless(on the behalf of the children), but rewarding job. My day typically started at 5:15 am, I had to be to work at 7am, I would return home by 6pm, if not later, and still had work to complete after hours. Despite the long days and other issues that arose, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I would recommend giving a year of service to everyone.
Pros
Impacting the lives of children
Cons
Long days
Productive and fun, but also very proffesional
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Vinton, IAAugust 20, 2016
A typical day at work in AmeriaCorps is different for every team due to the fact that each team travels to a different state to a different sponsor. Personally for me it involved hands on work in construction for the first month, cleaning, maintenance, and working with the developmentally disabled for the next two months and the last month I was in AmeriCorps before resigning, I was air sealing and insulating attics. I learned many new skills such as, using proper Personal Protective Equipment and tools for cutting specific wood a certain way. The hardest part of the job was waking up early and constantly living with the same people you worked with 24/7, but it also made it very enjoyable.
Enjoyable place to work from start to finish lots of opportunities for growth.
Options Parent Partner (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAAugust 13, 2016
Wonderful work experience, very encouraging people to work with. Some lack of understanding about family dynamics and lots of opportunities to grow and learn both personally and professionally. I truly enjoyed my experience working with Americorps and feeling like I was part of something bigger.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Some Lack of understanding of family situations.
Rewarding
Volunteer Coordinator at D.M. Therrell H.S. (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 28, 2016
I really enjoyed working with all kinds of people. We helped different people at different locations and we had different programs for the students. It was very nice when we took the student up to the mountains, they really enjoyed that. the management team was really nice and understanding, and so were my co-workers. It was through Hands On Atlanta that I got the job with Atlanta Public Schools. I really like being AmeriCorps.
Pros
Going to differnt sites.
productive and unique eqperience
Private Sector Specialist for External Affairs (Current Employee) –  McClellan, CASeptember 28, 2016
FEMA Corps was a a great eye opener and a good way for me to understand the world, I enjoyed my time immersing myself in different cultures, and learning about different areas within external affairs. The experience was not always easy and there definitely was a lot of miscommunications/ disorganization. However it was an experience like no other
wear casual every Friday
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, NYSeptember 18, 2016
Accept, record and deposit paper and electronic payments
Maintain accounts receivable records, initiate and distribute daily reports
Reconcile the day’s receivables to the deposit reports and bank deposit tickets
Verify, identify and photocopy and file all client payments for various agencies
Sent monthly report of department’s progress, to managers and supervisors
Great job for those starting out!
Ohio History Service Corps (Current Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHJuly 20, 2016
AmeriCorps provided me incredible opportunities to gain experience right out of school. My site was amazing and I really enjoyed working with my co-workers. The management was helpful and guided me, especially when I first stared. The pay, which is a living stipend, is very hard to live on, and the temporary nature of the job is daunting, but overall I loved my work and would recommend it to anyone trying to get their foot in the door in a particular profession!
Pros
Great experience, scholarship money
Cons
Low pay, temporary work
Productive workplace with great people, however at times felt as if there was no down time
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 21, 2016
In AmeriCorps NCCC, you would go on month to two month long projects where you would work everyday except Friday-Sunday. But even on our days off we still had work to do for every project that we went on. our typical day of work would last roughly ten hours depending on weather, because of being a trail crew if it was raining terribly we would only work maybe eight hours or so .Management was fair at times however, when we would request new supplies or gear they would supply us with out of date or old stuff that needed to be replaced.
Pros
free food, traveled to great places, wonderful experience
Cons
pay was poor, living conditions at times were bad, miscommunication throughout the program from superiors to corps members
One of the best experience you will ever have
Corps Member and Assistant Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 8, 2016
AmeriCorps NCCC is a team based group that serves across the United States. Your team is deployed into four unique areas over a span of 10 months. The first month or two you'll participate in training, team building exercises, and also receiving First Aid,CPR, AED, Shelter/Disaster relief certifications. You will be stationed in one of the five regions that AmeriCorps covers for that ten months.The range of work that you'll be doing can go for working with Habitat for Humanity to working in state parks or even being able to teach 8th graders about astrology at a science camp. The age requirements are 18 to 24.
Pros
Traveling, Positive environment, Excellent training, Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Free lodging
Cons
healthcare
Great opportunity working with students in the school system.
Graduation Coach (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJuly 21, 2016
Worked with students in academics, behavioral situations, and attendance. I learned that youth have a lot on their plate in today's society. The hardest part was dealing with the students personal problems and being one of the people at the school they could talk to.The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I created with,not only the students, but the staff.
Small residential builder
Controller (Former Employee) –  Newtown, PASeptember 12, 2016
Completed all accounting work. Required multi-tasking and prioritizing of tasks. I learned how the typical construction process is carried out in building a home and also how land development is performed. The hardest part of the job was working for someone who waited until the last minute to meet his deadlines.
Pros
Comfortable work environment
Cons
Too much wasted time by owner
Children and Community Service in One
Member committed (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2016
Americorps is an amazing program that combines the creative culture of an after school program to community service. It was an enjoyable experience to meet other staff from other after school programs and help those in need. It was a great way to get the parents and children involved in the community service during after school.
Pros
Useful training, great pay, funds for college
Americorps -UCO Volunteer Center
U.S. Government Volunteer Program (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKJuly 9, 2016
This was a government funded year, similar to the Peace Corps. I worked in UCO Volunteer Center, creating Ads to recruit volunteers.
Help put together the volunteer programs for the University. I learned valuable ways to recruit volunteers and how to interact with multicultural students and co-workers

At times it was hard to deal with a certain co-worker.

The most enjoyable was our trip to New Mexico, we got to fly first class.
Pros
Free coffees, Free Lunches, Airplane trips to New Mexico
Positive outlook on children and the community
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INAugust 5, 2016
My typical day at work is interacting with the children of the Boy's and Girls Club. I created activities to teach children how to live a healthy lifestyle and become responsible citizens. While working at AmeriCorps I developed communication skills with my students, their parents, and my supervisor. I worked with my co-workers on a low level and engaged with my supervisor for weekly meetings and student behavior reports. My most challenging part of working here was giving the equal amount of attention to each child. The most enjoyable part was being able to help children meet there short-term goals and building a relationship with their parents. I also enjoyed seeing the children in the community and the positive changes I have helped them made.
Stronger and better
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 6, 2016
Working at Mission BBQ was both fun and exhausting. A typical work day consisted of interacting with customers and running in the back to brew sweet and unsweet tea, while making sure dirty trays did not pile up in the dining room. Also, i took the trash out throughout the day and bussed the tables as well. When the day was over, I took the trash out for the last time that night and put the dishes through the dishwasher and swept and mopped the dining room. Though this job was strenuous, the environment was enjoyable and pleasant to work in.
AmeriCorps
Computer Literacy Instructor (Former Employee) –  Northeast Quadrant, DCSeptember 12, 2016
Loved it! Wonderful work environment, wonderful people, and great place to learn. I truly enjoyed my time with Byte Back as they really pushed me toward my professional goals. They allow you to really learn how to make the best use of your time and they give you all the tools needed to perform the job and then some.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Busy work is sometimes necessary
My Time in Americorps NCCC
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 13, 2016
This has been by far the most difficult job I've ever had but also one of the most rewarding. A typical day as a Team Leader in this program does not exist and it would take days to catalog all that i had learned. This position is not for the faint of heart but for anyone who is up to complete the challenge, it will be well worth it.
Pros
Strengthen interpersonal skills
Cons
No personal time

4.4