AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Enjoyable work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 20, 2017
I enjoyed waking up every morning to go to work. It felt so good to give back to my community and help those that needed it. I've learned to never complain and be thankful because there are people who have it worse than you. I also learned that team work makes the dream work. It was kind of difficult getting adjusted to the different attitudes and personalities. Overall, it was a great experience and I feel that I was somewhat a mentor to some of the kids I came across.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Healthcare, child care assistance
Amazing Experience
Assistant Team Leader and Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 20, 2017
You get to travel for 10 months with a group of people all over your assigned region and do service! You get awarded an education award at the end to help you pay for school. It tough work and not for everyone, but it'll change you world perspective and your life. Its work the sweat, blood and tears.
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 19, 2017
great experience with kids teaching them mentoring them and knowing who they are as people. Meeting new people and their personalities was great and got me out my comfort zone
Company offers good placement based on wants/needs
VISTA Volunteer Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHOctober 19, 2017
Working for Americorps was easy and fun. It provides you the opportunity to work with others from all backgrounds in communities that need your help. They also provide you with other things such as being able to work multiply jobs and receive a stipend to further your education
Productive and well run organization
Member (Former Employee) –  Oswego, NYOctober 19, 2017
I enjoyed being a member of AmeriCorps. The structure, pace, and employees are very enjoyable to work with. I worked as a fitness and nutrition educator, teaching youth how to live a healthy lifestyle. The job is very rewarding.
Americorps NCCC
Corps member (Former Employee) –  McClellan Air Force Base, CAOctober 18, 2017
It is an interesting program. It will give you a lots of random work experience. It gives you the ability to explore the nation. Even though when I joined it was all over California and one time in Utah. This program is really good for someone who is young and want figure out what they want to be in life. I wanted to be teacher. I was lucky enough get to be assign into that field. What I learned from that experience is that I like kids, I like teaching, but I do not like teaching kids. I do not regret the opportunity for it. I wanted to be a teacher and I experience being a teacher. I realize I do not want to be a teacher. I also did many other random jobs as example I help build a literal turkey mountain and climb it afterwards because the next day I had to give the people the turkey for thanksgiving. This program is really good for being introduce to life is like for a young adult. I truly recommend this program to anyone.
Pros
Free lunch, Travel the nation, lots of random work experience
Cons
Lots of traveling
Productive place to work
Customer service (Current Employee) –  FloridaOctober 17, 2017
Some days are really busy . Members are really understanding and nice. Learned a lot about people with disability and their possibility to work out here. Team player ambiance
Cons
no benefits and on a stipend
Enjoyable place with farm life and children.
Chef (Former Employee) –  Shelby, MSOctober 16, 2017
The typical workday included cleaning, gardening, feeding the livestock, food pick up and delivery, and cooking. It was very fun to cook and serve the children of the community.
Pros
Free lunch, flexibility, and fufillment
Cons
Working in the hot sun
Hostile environment
College and Career Coach (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 15, 2017
Respect is gained based on height, race, and gender. There are small amount of individuals whom are supportive about AmeriCorps while many individuals are malice.

I learned the school has a habit of sweeping things under the carpet.
Pros
Segal Education Award
Cons
30 minute Lunch
Great experience
College Completion Coach (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 13, 2017
So far I have ad a humbling and enjoyable experience with my year of service with AmeriCorps. The biggest downfall is the stipend payment is really hard to live off of, especially in a city like Austin where it's getting more and more expensive to live.
Good
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 10, 2017
was a good experience. would highly recommend to anyone wanting to go into the non-profit sector. You gain many skills throughout your training and experience.
Raise the stipend to motivate members
Volunteer and Intern Coordination (Former Employee) –  Regionally in USAOctober 8, 2017
I am very, very happy I completed two years of AmerCorps service. This program does incredible things for people's careers, skill building, emotional and professional maturity, and creating opportunities to meet and engage with others volunteers and professionals with similar interests. I truly love and appreciate AmeriCorps. However, the stipend is unrealistically low. It must change. I understand that federal program budgeting is a tricky thing to navigate but I know many former AmeriCorps members who regret their experience based on the extremely low stipend and how adversely it effected their financial well-being in the long-term. With all that said, the Eli Segal Education Award is amazing and I've definitely found some spectacular opportunities to grow my career using it creatively. An education award just cannot compete with fair monetary compensation for work performed.
Pros
Professional skill building and exposure.
Cons
Living stipend
Great Opportunity
Visitor Services and Interpretative Ranger (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHOctober 4, 2017
Immediately after graduating college I accepted an AmeriCorps position and it was a great opportunity. Learned more about my desired field while being provided with housing and numerous learning opportunities.
Depends on where you are.
VISTA Member (Current Employee) –  Gallatin, TNOctober 4, 2017
My experience has been a weird one. It is not what I expected and I basically do the job of a work study. It is very frustrating. The pay is not what it should be for the hours I work.
Pros
Some Downtime
Cons
Money, feels like a work study position, long hours with little compensation
A day in the life of a VISTA
School Resource Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAOctober 3, 2017
A typical day at work means not knowing what to do and my supervisor not being around for the necessary guidance. Working here means dealing with disrespectful students and non-involved parents.
Cons
long hours, low pay, stressful environment
Experience by the day
Park Naturalist (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 3, 2017
Every day you will be learning something new. The pay is low but the knowledge gaining is high. It also provides you with the introduction of state departments, partners, and managers from different districts that can guide you to building your future. Exposure to mentors is very high and I highly recommend any college graduate to do at least a year of AmeriCorps as it will give you a lot of leverage and help you with your transition into adulthood.
Pros
A lot of Experience
Cons
Low pay
Give back to your community
Health Educator (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAOctober 2, 2017
Amazing job, great people, and you get to help others. You should look into AmeriCorps if you want to find a way to give back to your community. So happy to be apart of this team.
Interesting Experience
Government Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 1, 2017
I didn't do my homework and ended up volunteering with a company that wasn't doing the work I wanted to be volunteering for or experienced with. It was actually very disorganized and it didn't feel like I had very defined responsibilities from day to day.
Fun,
MoCAN Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 30, 2017
Flexible work schedule as long as you get your 40 hours per week done. Required weekly reports. Friendly and helpful co-workers. Paid a living allowance.
The program
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Vinton, IASeptember 30, 2017
1 month of training
On a team with 5 to 10 divers individuals
traveling in a 15 passenger van
personal growth
stipend every 2 weeks
Opportunities
Pros
Housing, food, uniforms, health coverage, Educational award, travleling

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4