AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,230 reviews
Productive workplace with great people, however at times felt as if there was no down time
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 21, 2016
In AmeriCorps NCCC, you would go on month to two month long projects where you would work everyday except Friday-Sunday. But even on our days off we still had work to do for every project that we went on. our typical day of work would last roughly ten hours depending on weather, because of being a trail crew if it was raining terribly we would only work maybe eight hours or so .Management was fair at times however, when we would request new supplies or gear they would supply us with out of date or old stuff that needed to be replaced.
Pros
free food, traveled to great places, wonderful experience
Cons
pay was poor, living conditions at times were bad, miscommunication throughout the program from superiors to corps members
wear casual every Friday
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, NYSeptember 18, 2016
Accept, record and deposit paper and electronic payments
Maintain accounts receivable records, initiate and distribute daily reports
Reconcile the day’s receivables to the deposit reports and bank deposit tickets
Verify, identify and photocopy and file all client payments for various agencies
Sent monthly report of department’s progress, to managers and supervisors
Great
AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 16, 2016
Nice place to work I enjoy the people I work with understanding people. Staff is very resourceful and very helpful. I love serving here
Rewarding
Servant Leader Intern (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 15, 2016
I had a rewarding experience. Work days were long. Management was great. Co-workers were like-minded individuals. Hardest part was the energy requirement. Most enjoyable part was the service.
My Time in Americorps NCCC
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 13, 2016
This has been by far the most difficult job I've ever had but also one of the most rewarding. A typical day as a Team Leader in this program does not exist and it would take days to catalog all that i had learned. This position is not for the faint of heart but for anyone who is up to complete the challenge, it will be well worth it.
Pros
Strengthen interpersonal skills
Cons
No personal time
AmeriCorps
Computer Literacy Instructor (Former Employee) –  Northeast Quadrant, DCSeptember 12, 2016
Loved it! Wonderful work environment, wonderful people, and great place to learn. I truly enjoyed my time with Byte Back as they really pushed me toward my professional goals. They allow you to really learn how to make the best use of your time and they give you all the tools needed to perform the job and then some.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Busy work is sometimes necessary
Small residential builder
Controller (Former Employee) –  Newtown, PASeptember 12, 2016
Completed all accounting work. Required multi-tasking and prioritizing of tasks. I learned how the typical construction process is carried out in building a home and also how land development is performed. The hardest part of the job was working for someone who waited until the last minute to meet his deadlines.
Pros
Comfortable work environment
Cons
Too much wasted time by owner
Excellent place for growth
Youth Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 12, 2016
I learned a lot of new skills here and would recommend working here. I learned project management and recruiting skills all in the same workplace. They have an excellent culture and really care about your growth.
Great way to serve your community and gain professional experience
Legal Assistant at Family Law Facilitator's Office (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 12, 2016
Great place to work at. I work in the legal field, and they train you in and out; people at the assigned site are very helpful and understanding. A lot of weekend training shifts where they say the same thing over and over again-- in other words, they like to beat a dead horse, but nevertheless, you still learn a lot. Free lunches during training events too.
Pros
free lunches, hands on experiences, great people to work with
Cons
grants are miniscule
fun place with nice people to work
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NV 89030September 9, 2016
if I wouldn't have moved I would've been working here now. We worked on model homes and structures and obtained the knowledge of basic construction.
Pros
Other skills and certificates
Growing experience
Morrisville - Crew Member (Former Employee) –  variousSeptember 9, 2016
A typical day at work can vary so much, you could be chainsawing, rigging, doing basic trail work, invasive removal, building a bridge. It offers many opportunities and of course the opportunity to grow as an employee and a co worker as live with your co workers day in and day out.
Pros
living arrangements, stipend provided, many experiences
Cons
low pay, temporary
Rewarding, but Sub Poverty Compensation
State and National Program Member (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 8, 2016
First off, AmeriCorps is an amazing, life-changing experience. There is no questioning this fact. Teaching kids to read, meeting people from all over the country, cleaning beaches and holding premie babies... it's wonderful.

You are going to be driving around... a lot. Drive to your main service location, drive to special event locations, drive to third party volunteer locations to supplement yours hours (school literacy hours throughout the school year are fewer than the hours you are required to fulfill in your service year), and the hosting institution is sure to take advantage of you at some time or another with an event of their own. I had to drive from North Miami to one of the Keys for a 12 hour day of basically hard labor for a non-AmeriCorps related art auction. At $188 every two weeks, my car was not in very good shape, so it cut off on me on the way back and nearly flew off a ramp. I still have panic attacks on highways to this day, and it's been over ten years.

AmeriCorps is not possible if you don't live rent free (ie with parents or at least a ton of roommates), don't already have the means to move to the new area, or have any fiscal obligations in general.

The moving allowance is typically less than half of what you would need to secure a place to live in. It's usually $500, but every rental place I've ever lived in requires first and last month's rent, in addition to a security deposit, in advance. A few programs do have dormitories, but not many. You are mostly expected to become roommates with one another. Not really a possibility if you have a spouse,
  more... unless they join the program too, or if you both already live in the service area.

You receive a stipend instead of a paycheck for a couple of practical reasons. If you divide up the hours in your service year with the total stipend, you would actually earn less than minimum wage. It also keeps you from actually being an employee of AmeriCorps, the NCoPS, and establishes you as a volunteer, which gives you fewer rights. You can't claim unemployment, you can't get overtime, you can't get insurance. You may be told a grand, philosophical reason as to why you are paid poverty wages... it's part of the spirit of sacrifice and volunteering, knowing the pains of the people you are serving... Feel free to buy into it if it makes you feel better. It's really just a funding thing. Paying people who help the poor well has never been something the federal government has been very good at, if social workers and teachers are any indication.

You don't pay into any health insurance policies, which is nice, right? It's technically accepted everywhere, but it is up to every doctor's office to decide whether or not they take it. If they've never seen it before, it may weird them out. The health insurance they give you really isn't health insurance, but it does work. It's very odd. It's a company that pays for the care you need, up to an extent (there is something in the way of copay, but I don't remember what it was or if copay was the word they actually used), but the doctor's office has to call them and set up payment. It's kind of like going to a doctor that'll let you put something on the company tab.

You actually qualify for food stamps if you get this job. I suggest you get them, even if you don't think you need them. You're going to need that stipend money for things that come up with your transportation, clothes you're sure to ruin, or materials you may need for your service.

The educational reward at the end is awesome. You just have to know how to use it. It doesn't work the way they claim it does. In theory, it's an amount of money available to you for the purpose of higher education. In practice, it's an amount of money they hold tightly that you can ask for, up to a certain awarded amount, that is extremely hard to use for anything besides tuition.

I desperately needed an Apple computer for design school, and I was told that I couldn't just buy a computer. I had to get a list of specific specs from the school, submit it to AmeriCorps, verify that they deemed it a necessary educational expense, and wait. The entire process would have taken over a whole semester - which defeated the entire purpose. I had to take out a line of credit, when I supposedly had an education voucher.

What you can do is get your school registrar or bursar to add your school expenses to your tuition bill, and then use the voucher to pay the registrar/bursar. The bursar then gives you the actual cash you need to buy your stuff, or puts the credit on your school card to use at the school supply store. Just keep your receipts to prove you only bought educational things you needed, in the event that your voucher redemption comes into question.

TLDR: Life changing and awesome, but you will be poorer than the people you serve during your service. Health benefits are weird. Voucher is tricky. Only do it if you are really young or high energy.
Pros
Experiences, Loan Forbearance, Some Freebies (hat, shirt, etc)
Cons
Sub-Poverty Stipend, Education Voucher Red Tape, Hard to Use Health Benefit
Definitely recommend Americorps ENERGY EXPRESS
Mentor to a group of children ages 7-9 (Former Employee) –  New Manchester, WVSeptember 7, 2016
I had an amazing experience with an astounding supervisor. It taught me self discipline, time management, and life lessons that I believe could never be obtained elsewhere. If you are great with children, and want to help better their lives, then I highly recommend this program. It is great for college students who need something to do over the summer, or a great first work experience for college students.
Pros
Great team bonding, many life lessons
reward yet hard work
Invasive Species Monitor Intern (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 7, 2016
Americorp internships are consuming, hard work with little pay. They are an amazing opportunity to receive training and experience in the environmental field but are difficult to live on in a long term situation.
Pros
lots of training opportunities
Cons
small stipends
Overall good
STEM TUTOR & COACH (Former Employee) –  Danville, VASeptember 6, 2016
I loved working for AmeriCorps. The experience and training you obtain is wonderful for job placement. I support their mission and would recommend it to others.
Productive and challenging place to work at
Program Developer (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VASeptember 6, 2016
I loved every minute of the opportunity I had working here. It was challenging at times and extremely fun at times. It was a complete balance of what my dream job would consist of.
Pros
Flexibility, understanding to life's obstacles, always learning something new
Cons
Not nearly paid enough
Incredible Experience with patients and co-workers from different backgrounds
Community HealthCorps Service Member (Former Employee) –  Greenville, MISeptember 2, 2016
Provide necessary health education in an easily understood way for patients, work closely with various staff members from different departments, assisting patients and community members with connecting local resources.
Domestic Violence
Domestic Violence Counselor (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYAugust 31, 2016
Working with mothers and children whom have been in violent situations trying to help them get help with housing and jobs. Try to get their lives back on track for the greater god.
Educational and Life changing
Administrative & Accounts Payable Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 29, 2016
I had the opportunity to learn so many different things while working with AmeriCorps including office procedure but also field experience in water testing and purification. No day was the same.
Good experience
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 29, 2016
I had lots of fun doing NCCC but it was difficult at times. You live, travel, and work with a team so you have to be able to get along with different types of people. The work was rewarding and you get o work with different non profits.
Pros
meaningful work
Cons
some people you dont get along with but have to live and work with them

4.4