AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Fulfilling fields of community service
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anderson, SCJanuary 3, 2018
AmeriCorps is an excellent community service organization. I enjoyed the multiple facets of service. My program director was wonderful, an amazing organizer and very supportive.
A great place to gain life experience and find a passion for exploring.
Assistant Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 3, 2018
Overall this is the hardest and best thing you can decide to do. You will meet people that will change you and find friends for life. It is incredibly hard to live and work with the same 10 people everyday but it creates a bond like no other. The work you do will not always be something you would have chosen to do but you will hopefully find it enjoyable and refreshing.
Pros
free housing, free food, surrounded by like minded people
Cons
lack of personal space/ time, low pay
Preparing lesson plans and able to teach preschool children each day
Jumpstart Corps Member (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 2, 2018
A typical day at work would be meeting up with a team of 5 people to prepare lesson plans and held classroom activities while working with 16-20 preschool children 3 days a week for 4 hours in the afternoon until evening.
Pros
Great learning and engaging environment, effective teamwork
Cons
Teacher leading example and stature
Arkansas Future Teacher Iniative (Current Employee) –  Monticello, ARJanuary 1, 2018
It’s a amazing place for growth. It allows you to see where’d you like to go after service. My years at AmeriCorps were amazing at building character and allowing me to see what’d I’d like to do in the future.
It was great
literacy tutor and in class mentor (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCDecember 31, 2017
Americorps gives a cool and relaxed work environment with plenty of collaboration opportunities. Employees are well trained in the literacy interventions.
Great job
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 29, 2017
You would do a lot of volunteer service. This job works with collaboration with Cypress Hills. You do get a grant at the end of your volunteer service. You work through rain or shine.
Paid internship, but treated like an employee at service site.
RISE Vista Intern (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CADecember 28, 2017
I was able to be apart of a team to implement a program i enjoy now. The experience I have obtained is useful for my future career. It assisted me to grow as a person, as an employee, and as a volunteer to my community.
Pros
My work site was very helpful when it came to my school schedule.
Cons
It is only a year contract, and there is no job advancement once my contract ends.
"Paid" Volunteer Position
Community Outreach Advocate (Former Employee) –  Harrison, ARDecember 26, 2017
If you love helping people and volunteering, this is a wonderful position. You must be able to pass an FBI background check. You will be working with the community and their Leaders to help those in poverty and impoverished.
Fun, Meaningful
Academic Coach (Current Employee) –  Federal Way, WADecember 22, 2017
This is a great stepping stone to really discover who you are as a person. I'd recommend this service experience to anyone. You get to work with great people, and get used to being out of your comfort zone.
Great Experience to work with a diverse population
VISTA Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CADecember 22, 2017
Great Experience to work with a diverse population. This experience was truly amazing. I would highly recommend it to everyone. IT was the opportunity to work with like minded individuals and be exposed to other sin the community striving to also improve the community in which they live.
Productive and Consistent In Professional Devolopment of Mentors
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CADecember 22, 2017
As an AmeriCorps member and Mentor a typical day at work consisted of learning the material and lesson that was going to be given to students. Once lesson was given the assignment would be given. As a mentor I would prioritize students who were assigned to me or I was assigned to and then would search the room for other students who did not understand the material. I learned that students did not necessarily learn the material in the amount of time the lesson was given. Thus I would review the material with them and make sure they understood the material or one problem. I would then move on to the next student. The work place culture was great although the students in the school site I was assigned to were still developing as students I enjoyed the work culture where there was various people who reinforced the material and the need to have a mentor was great. This allowed me to give my whole effort and do my best without exhausting what needed to be done. The hardest part of the job was starting all over everyday in motivating youth to be involved and do assignment. Most enjoyable part was when they were motivated to do the assignment , understand , and complete the assignment with a thorough understanding and sense of accomplishment.
Pros
working with students.
Cons
students were easily distracted and unmotivated.
Government program, not a job for me
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Vinton, IADecember 22, 2017
Got to travel the country and do work that directly impacted people. Received an education award and had some great experiences. Living and working as a team can be a struggle though.
Pros
Education award, worthwhile work
Cons
Personality clashes, being away from home
Fun, productive and a great team to work with
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 20, 2017
This job was great in a sense that we really got a lot of fulfillment out of the job. Teaching reading and basic phonetic skill to kids who were less fortunate and seeing the successful results was the best part of the job. The hardest part can be summarized in these few words “kids will be kids.”
Each position is diffeent
Success Mentor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 19, 2017
Volunteer based but compensated with a stipend. The work you can do is amazing. You meet wonderful people and you can help so many more. There are permanent positions available, but the volunteer positions may require a second part time job.
Pros
You meet wonderful people and help so many more
Cons
Not a full time employment. Volenteer
Pretty cool
VISTA Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCDecember 19, 2017
I actually enjoyed working with AmeriCorps. My time at my site was a little rocky at first but gradually got better. United Way was the organization hosting the program and they were extremely supportive. However, if you need money that you can actually live off of, I wouldn't apply. I would only apply if you'd like the experience in a professional role.
Pros
Good for experience, education award
Cons
benefits aren't great
AmeriCorps
Family Engagement Specialist/ Durant Tuuri Mott (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIDecember 18, 2017
AmeriCorps is great for the kids and the community but they really suck when it comes to supporting their staff with personal issues. That's about all I have to say about this job and it is less than 150 words. oh yeah they could pay more for the service that we provide too. that would be great.
Great Learning Opportunity
AmeriCorps Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Arlington County, VADecember 15, 2017
The environment was great. I enjoyed working with children and helping them with their school work. I always felt like I was contributing to an amazing team.
Youth On The Move
Youth on The Move Intern at Belmont Elementary (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 15, 2017
AmeriCorps is a great way for people to help the community. There are several opportunities to help children with academics or extracurricular activities such as sports, dance or art.
Pros
Working with students, Great employees, Education Grant at completion of term.
Cons
Low Monthly Pay
the job at americorps was hard
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILDecember 15, 2017
Americorps was to work for, the job was hard at times doing intakes and assisting newly released ex-cons to find housing, jobs, and finding the support that the needed to survive.
Assisted at risk youth in the City School district
Rochester AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 14, 2017
AmeriCorps is something you should join if you want to make a difference in your local community. It is akin to serving in the Peace Corps, only you work with the kids and families who live right around you here in the U.S. I assisted children in grades K-6 at a school on the city limits, and made great strides with their reading and math skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4