AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,458 reviews
Difficult but rewarding
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSApril 28, 2017
A perfect experience for anyone interested in working for FEMA. Spent 10 months in a team of ten traveling across the country in area affected by disasters.
Productive workplace
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 28, 2017
Nice workplace culture and the children are enjoyable. I do not have a bad work experience. The pay is ok but it is expected. The management is great.
Great resume building opportunity
Program Manager/Member (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 27, 2017
If you want to give back in your community and gain professional development as well this is the job for you. Its government funded so you do receive a living stipend and you make your own schedule.
Loved it
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 26, 2017
I loved working for AmeriCorps Black Child Development. I hate that I had to leave due to relocating to a different school district. It was a lot of work however, I loved it. The only thing I did not like was the pay.
Pros
Great people
Cons
pay
Not an equal exchange of work and benefits
corps member (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 25, 2017
There is really no time off in AmeriCorps NCCC; you live with the people you work with. You get three personal days for the whole year. You receive 4.75 a day for food. It's a cool organization, but you will give way more to AmeriCorps than AmeriCorps will give to you
Pros
paid housing
Cons
your personal life is always on the backburner
Rewarding but Stressful Experience
Corp Member (Former Employee) –  Willimantic, CTApril 24, 2017
If you're thinking about working with kids, give Jumpstart a try. Jumpstart is a branch of Americorps. It was a lot of fun but it took up a lot of time, including take home work. They weren't very understanding when it came to missing work for family emergencies or serious illnesses.
Pros
Kids were amazing, Very rewarding experience
Cons
A bit overwhelming
Productive and enjoyable work environment
FEMA Corps- Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSApril 23, 2017
Energized typical day at work'
I've learned networking skills as well as ways to enhance my professional development
The most enjoyable part of the day is knowing you are making an impact in someone's life.
Cons
HealthCare Benefits
A good community service program
Employment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 20, 2017
Day to day help people to find employment and learning how to better assisted individuals with job placement has been a great learning experience. Sometimes it can be the hardest when trying to find what someone wants something other then what they qualify for.
I truly enjoy working for this company. The environment and the people are easy to get along with and make helping children a joy.
AmeriCorps Team Member (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 20, 2017
When you are able to have a flexible schedule, great working environment and get to help kids, everyday is a pleasure. Coworkers and the students we help make it easy to get through fun activities and lessons. Serving for AmeriCorps is a true honor and pleasure:
Every situation is different
Parent Organizer/ Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2017
the persons experience will depend on their work site. Granted no job is easy, but in all honesty it depends on the woke site your in. If you're lucky you will have a great work site if not then good luck. I however thank them for the position and opportunity as well as the experience i gained.
learning opportunity
Internship (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 18, 2017
I enjoy providing services for the financially disadvantaged. I know that giving back is a huge part of being successful and inspiring future generations.
Amazing job for those who love children
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Waynesville, MOApril 18, 2017
Americorps is a very good program for the children and they community. They help within the community with different projects. They help children achieved their goals and make sure they understand and retain the knowledge they are being taught.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Many hours with little pay
team based traveling volunteer program
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 17, 2017
Working alongside 11 other members throughout the country proved to be both extremely challenging and rewarding. Our team started training together in October in Sacramento and began our volunteer work in early November in northern California. In Middletown, CA we worked alongside a faith based non-profit, Hope City, helping to rebuild houses that had been destroyed in the Valley Fire in 2015. We stayed in Middletown for 6 weeks, then headed back to Sacramento where we trained for a few weeks and then departed for our second project along the Oregon Coast. In Oregon we worked alongside the Oregon State Parks doing environmental restoration work for 9 weeks. In Oregon we did invasive species removal, tree planting and maintenance, marine debris clean up, and general park maintenance. We were then sent to Moab, Utah where we worked at an outdoor environmental education camp doing infrastructure improvement and program assistance.
thought's on company
Mentor/Tutor (Former Employee) –  East Saint Louis, ILApril 16, 2017
Great place to work, helping the customers, I learned many things about this business that can help me in the long hall. management was down to earth and very understanding. the hardest part of this job was picking the slack up for you co-workers. the most enjoyable part of my job was being able to helping others.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
Picking up the slack for other workers
Great learning experience
Washington Reading Corps Early Learning (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAApril 13, 2017
Great learning experience, good connections made, wonderful managers and co-worker, making a difference, Interact with the local community, Meet other like-minded people
Typical Day
Elementary School Summer Associate (Former Employee) –  Center, COApril 13, 2017
Each AmeriCorps job is unique so my experience may not be similar to others but I worked at an elementary school. Each day I would help with summer school during the day and then put on after school programs in the afternoon.
It was a fun job
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 12, 2017
I taught kinder to 7th grade computer programs and music. At an after school program, It was a great learning experience for me as well as the children.
Okay but not the best
Youth Education and Community Advocate (Current Employee) –  Paterson, NJApril 11, 2017
Great for experience, not the best for growth or financial stability. If you want to do this position you really have to commit and be aware of everything you are sacrificing.
I was a good school to work with...
AmeriCorps Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNApril 11, 2017
You will have to ask me in person if you really want my opinion about it was like to work there........................................................
Great Learning Experience
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 10, 2017
The AmeriCorps' City Year program allowed me to experience first hand what a classroom and instructions should look like from an educator's perspective. This resulted in me obtaining a temporary teaching certificate to later on have my own classroom to deliver instructions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4