AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

review
Teacher's Aid/After school teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 7, 2017
Amazing company to work for. I loved the environment and everyone that I worked with. The children that I worked with changed my life and opened my eyes to new things.
Addressed health disparities within the community and assisted in the creation of programs.
HPAC Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rootstown, OHSeptember 6, 2017
I would do a lot of my work from home, such as emails, phone calls, and lesson plans. I went out on site a few days a week. I would go to schools and meet with my HPAC students. The meetings are created and setup the way you chose to. I enjoyed having the freedom to approach this position in the way I desired. Each week the students and I would discuss which health disparity they were going to address in their project and how we would go about implementing it. Later in the year I helped the students write grants to request funding for their projects. The students would then put their projects into action. In late April they would present their projects at Scholar's Day. This was a huge event that all the students involved in HPAC would attend. It resembled a science fair. Awards were given at the end for the best projects. I would also spend a good portion of my meetings, with the students, prepping for Scholar's Day. Once Scholar's Day was complete the students and myself would focus on helping within the community. The people I worked with were amazing, supportive, encouraging, and helpful. I learned endless skills from this work, I was exposed to many cultures and learned to conquer all types of new challenges. The most difficult part of this position was jumping into something I knew nothing about and making it work. This was also one of the more rewarding aspects of this position. I came a long way building upon my own skillset and all the while I got to help others. This is was one of the best experiences of my life.
Pros
building skills, confidence and contacts, helping others, teaching children, watching the amazing differences that children make within their community
Cons
It could be overwhelming and very stressful leading up to Scholar's Day.
Enjoyed doing a graphic design job that will be there for years to come.
AmeriCorps Intern (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NMSeptember 5, 2017
Worked on research about the museum to get a good insight of what it was about. I learned about the history which lead me to the design I chose to do.
Great Community Exposure
Digital Literacy Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 5, 2017
I really enjoyed my time with Americorps. The organization definitely allowed me to offer assistance to the community and help families and individuals in need. I would always look forward to the next day and see how the progress was for each program the organization had created.
Good for work-study
Assistant Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJSeptember 5, 2017
Good experience for your resume, good for students due to the low hours, a generally fun job if you like kids. Job gives real teaching experience and excellent training.
Fun Workplace
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 1, 2017
AmeriCorps was very fun while working with children. Many children have increased their reading scores and school grades have increased. AmeriCorps allows you to meet knew people.
Changing Lives
Tutor and Mentor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 31, 2017
I appreciated working for Americorps because I was able to touch the lives of many children. These children confided in me with personal issue or concerns.
Pros
educational stipend
Cons
overcrowded classrooms
Productive place of work
Relief Operator (Former Employee) –  ColoradoAugust 30, 2017
I have learned to give back to the community, in certain situations.The hardest part of the job is to witness all the struggling lives in this unfortunate situation.
Cons
I couldent give my full time to help out because of school
Loved the environment and people
Non-Profit Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Indianola, MSAugust 30, 2017
Great environment to learn new things as well as teach ways to help children. Doing things that you love to do is not considered work but a privilege. The most enjoyable part was being able to put myself and what I have learned and gathered in knowledge back into my community and less fortunate communities. The hardest part was having to say good bye to the people that I worked with.
Pros
Learning new techniques to get children involved with learning
Cons
non participation from some of the community
americorps vulenteer
AmeriCorps Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 29, 2017
When I was working with the AmeriCorps I liked it ,my experience it was fun. the people were nice it was different. leaning about people background and there culture it was great. that's what I honestly enjoyed about the job and seeing the people come in bored and leave satisfied and entertain. The food was good too. the managements really works with you to understand you and to push you to do better. There good people and good at what they do. I can say. the hardest part of my job I would say it be occupied from when the people didn't need my help. Also dealing with them bad kids. There mouths are crazy. but what I enjoy most about this job is being part of something new and learning something new everyday learning to work with people and building the skills I need to go further in life . You learn a lot about yourself and other people getting out there and experiencing it. What I have learned on the job for working with AmeriCorps was how they really treat you at a job because I didn't ever really work this was my first job experience ever! I learned how to do a resume and I learned how to make cute arts and craft, and to understand people and look at life in a different perspective. Be more caring for other people needs and situations.
Pros
free lunches . the food pantry
Cons
the rude remarks people would make
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 28, 2017
It was a lifelong learning experience that enabled me to tap into my passion for teaching. The WNY Service Collaborative hasn't been recognized enough for their contribution to the lives, and the education they have provided to the community.
Pros
Met wonderful people with same compassion for service and life.
Cons
Only two year max employ ability with grant funding
Best job I've ever had, but the pay is virtually non-existent
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZAugust 28, 2017
This is likely one of the most interesting volunteer work one can perform. You'll be given the opportunity to travel all around the country and learn about trailwork and conservation practices.

It's a great eye-opener if you're looking for a way into the field, and personally I believe everyone should perform this kind of job once.

Not for the faint of heart. Will be
Serving the community
HealthCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 27, 2017
If you enjoy serving the community then this is for you, however the pay is extremely low for the hours you put in. Especially in order to be awarded the education award.
Pros
Resume builder
Cons
Little pay, many hours, no benefits
Taught kids soccer, ping pong table, pool table and place volunteers to help students with homework.
Volunteer Coordinator (AmeriCorps member) (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEAugust 25, 2017
I play soccer with the kids and taught the kids soccer, ping pong, basketball, pool table. I tutored the kids in my site and also placed volunteers to help students with their homework etc.
I loved making a difference in the Americorps Take Ten program.
Take Ten, site volunteer (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INAugust 25, 2017
I learned how to facilitate difficult conversations at three different sites (intermediate level, elementary level, and at the homeless shelter). Americorps enabled me to design lesson plans, structure curriculum, and build relationships among students and staff.
Unique place to work with lifelong benefits
College Completion Coach (Former Employee) –  Zanesville, OHAugust 25, 2017
AmeriCorps is a great program to serve with to satisfy your individual need of serving your community, while still receiving wages. A specific number of hours are required for direct service, community service, and professional development.
I was a liaison at Catlettsburg Elementary School for Americorps
Liaison (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYAugust 24, 2017
My day to day work responsibilities included mentoring students of the ages of 6-12 on their reading, writing and comprehension abilities. I also organized and executed several programs within my daily duties for the children as incentives to learning their content.
Vista
VISTA Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cascade, IDAugust 24, 2017
I enjoyed the work but the manager that I had did not know boundaries with the VISTA program. She thought I was to be used as an filler for any kind of job and not those that related to the scope of work that AmeriCorps had. She also didn't respect that there was no OT so it was paid out in comp time. I worked 50-60 hours a week for a stipend.
AmeriCorps
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 23, 2017
It was a great experience to work with different people knowing you're making a difference for people in need. You learn a lot of valuable life lessons and skills that'll never be forgotten.
I love it
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Saint Louis, ILAugust 23, 2017
working with AmeriCorps East St Louis opened other doors within the company for me and I also made connections with people that worked with different companies
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
I would always appreciate more money

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4