AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,376 reviews
A fun and challenging job.
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAJanuary 13, 2017
I worked with under served youth ages 13-17 through The Multicultural Family Center. We spent every day at a community garden learning about the importance of health and caring for our environment. On Fridays, I lead the youth with community service trips. I found it challenging to work with the youth and develop relationships, but by the end of the summer we were working together.
helped students in preschool with their literacy skills
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAOctober 13, 2016
was done through the school i was attending at the time. enjoyed it very much. met in a preschool in compton, ca 2 times a week and worked with a specific group of children to help build their literacy skills and get them ready for kindergarten. hardest part of the job was understanding these students don't get a lot of attention at home and still haven't mastered sitting still and structure in a classroom. it was so rewarding to be able to hopefully impact these students lives for the few months we were there.
A fulfilling fun place to work
Home Visitor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 29, 2016
Working one on one with high risk family, helping implement the nurturing parenting program to prevent child abuse in America. Maintaining a high case load, time management is key, working with low supervision. Having a desire to serve the families in my community.
Pros
community Avocate
Cons
stress
good volunteer opportunity with lots of experience
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Vinton, IADecember 13, 2016
you will learn a lot and see lots of new places. prepare to be in very close quarters with your team for the whole service term. not a lot of downtime, so if you dont like the work the year may be hard for you. you dont get to pick your campus or your teammates, so flexibility is a must
Pros
good experience, lots of travel
Cons
no downtime, close quarters
Great Experience
City Year Corps Member - Greater Philadelphia (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 27, 2017
A typical day of work would probably begin at 7:30. During the school hours one acts as a quasi-assistant teacher. The real fun and interaction with the students occurs afterschool in programs that you create. Good for recent college graduates.
Pros
Rewarding Work
Cons
Pay is not even minimum wage (better get SNAP and cheap rent)
Children and Community Service in One
Member committed (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2016
Americorps is an amazing program that combines the creative culture of an after school program to community service. It was an enjoyable experience to meet other staff from other after school programs and help those in need. It was a great way to get the parents and children involved in the community service during after school.
Pros
Useful training, great pay, funds for college
Pretty much no money for the jobs required.
Reading and Literacy Tutor (Former Employee) –  MNNovember 16, 2016
You will need a second job in order to live with the so called "living stipend" they pay. The problem is that the hours required to do this job leave you with either working very early or very late in the day to supplement your income. Working with kids is great, but they seem to be more interested in getting data entered for their funding.
Pros
no nights or weekends
Cons
Terrible pay
Productive and Fun Workplace
Educational Advocate (Former Employee) –  East Saint Louis, ILMarch 15, 2017
Working for AmeriCorps is absolutely unpredictable. Everyday there's something different. The atmosphere is amazing. The hardest part would probably be going through all the training, but it is worth it. I love the fact that it's something new everyday.
Cons
Becoming an AmeriCorps member was the best career decision I've made
Family Literacy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sunset Park, NYJuly 13, 2016
AmeriCorps gives you vital job skills, connections to potential employers, and experience. It was great to work with like-minded people who wanted to provide service to others. It put me on the right path to pursue a career in social service.
Pros
Everything else
Cons
Stipend is tough to live on
Great opportunity to learn about the operations of an non-profit organization.
administrative assistance (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSNovember 25, 2016
* Typical day is filled with joy by providing clients the help they need.
* I learned how to become a better team player on this job and how
to deal with varieties of characteristics.
* The hardest part of the job was being unable to assist clients with
much needed services.
Pros
Working throughout the local community
Cons
Inability to provide service
Collaborative and meaningful
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 14, 2017
AmeriCorps was critical to my professional development and for the years I served I found likeminded fellows who inspired me to chase my dreams, develop my sense of personal identity, and establish my current character. I am proud to have been an AmeriCorps member and would highly recommend it to anyone.
Putting smiles on families faces with a new built home
Housing Counselor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Riviera Beach, FLDecember 26, 2016
1. Helped with the process of building homes in the disaster areas of USA
2. Assisted in home ownership counseling classes
3. Assisted prospective home owner in rebuilding their credit
4. Spearheaded a community trash cleanup for the neighborhoods
Pros
traveling to states to help people in need of assistant
Rewarding
Servant Leader Intern (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 15, 2016
I had a rewarding experience. Work days were long. Management was great. Co-workers were like-minded individuals. Hardest part was the energy requirement. Most enjoyable part was the service.
active solving problem as well as fun games to keep us motivated to stay ahead of one another
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  palo verde magnetDecember 3, 2016
AmeriCorps was a fun day because I had a game that day and I met new people who were motivated to make a difference , hardest part was letting everyone get a chance to volunteer , at sometimes I felt like doing it all by myself.
Pros
helped fix a room
Cons
didnt get to finish
I got an oppurtunity to give back to the community
Literacy Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 7, 2017
I enjoyed learning new skills and making a positive impact. I lived a life filled with service everyday by being a positive influence. You complete a year of community service in a community or communities that are less fortunate.
Pros
I got an oppurtunity to reach out to people of different backgrounds
Exciting chance to challenge yourself
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 10, 2016
Long work days
Many opportunities to train your leadership
Management is very supportive
Heavily team based, but keep the goal in mind
Hardest part of the job was trying to get the required amount of hours
Most enjoyable part was the culture of the organization
Pros
Health care, education award, networking
Cons
Long hours, stipend
Great people and a great cause
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MODecember 28, 2016
I have very much enjoyed my 4 years working with Americorps. I work with the Jumpstart program specifically and it has been awesome to see the organization's impact on the city of Columbia, MO. I would highly recommend Jumpstart to anyone who loves working with children and has a desire to better the community they live in.
great work place.
Americorp Leader/ YMCA Bike Instructor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAMarch 1, 2017
what i learned from working at americorps is spirit. having the spirit to motivate people including yourself. the hardest part of this job is icebreakers with different people.
Pros
stipend checks as pay.
Cons
traveling and getting dirty.
A year in Service
Marketing & Outreach Speciliast (VISTA) (Former Employee) –  JAG AzJanuary 17, 2017
This job was challenging but rewarding seeing the difference I made in the community I served in. It's challenging to live off of the stipend provided by the AmeriCorps program. It was a very meaningful experience for me and I would recommended it to anyone.
Pros
Education Stipend
Cons
Low monthly stipends
Productive and fun, but also very proffesional
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Vinton, IAAugust 20, 2016
A typical day at work in AmeriaCorps is different for every team due to the fact that each team travels to a different state to a different sponsor. Personally for me it involved hands on work in construction for the first month, cleaning, maintenance, and working with the developmentally disabled for the next two months and the last month I was in AmeriCorps before resigning, I was air sealing and insulating attics. I learned many new skills such as, using proper Personal Protective Equipment and tools for cutting specific wood a certain way. The hardest part of the job was waking up early and constantly living with the same people you worked with 24/7, but it also made it very enjoyable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4