AmeriCorps Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,379 reviews
Foster Children
Mentor/Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAJanuary 20, 2017
I decided to work for this company because I wanted to give back being as through this company worked with foster children, However my experience with the Children and also teaching the children I loved. However the job itself was that the children we just a number and that is something that didn't sit well with me. I became emotionally invested which i knew I would. And my bosses didn't like that. However I still tried and put my best effort into the job. eventually I had to move on. However I am still grateful that I did pursue the job.
Pros
Wanted to work with foster children
Cons
Children should have been treated better.
Fun Experience
Literacy Tutor (Former Employee) –  Austin, MNJanuary 19, 2017
A typical day at work would be getting greeted at the door by many students, tutoring sessions on average about 15 minutes depending on where you are placed, and overall every day is fun and exciting because of the wonderful environment you work in.
I learned how to manage my time wisely and how to handle difficult situations.
The hardest part of the job for me was to put in enough hours because I at the time, I was a full time mom and student, getting volunteering hours was beyond difficult.
I enjoyed everyone I worked with, the good and bad, I would highly recommend this to anyone interested in the education of elementary students.
Pros
Great trainers, excellent support, and help
Cons
Short breaks
Stimulated me to work hard
Trail Worker, National Park Service Partner (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJanuary 19, 2017
This program laid down high expectations right from the beginning. Everyone was expected to give 100% from dusk until dawn, and this did not just entail trail work. At the campsite, everyone was assigned tasks in setting up and tearing down the site, making food, and cleaning for the group. This was an excellent opportunity to build a strong work ethic and work as a team.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 19, 2017
I really learned a lot about grant writing and was able to work with people who cared about my development. I would recommend this job to everyone who is interested in learning grant writing.
Great environment and i learned a lot
Volunteer group supervisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 18, 2017
I learned a lot while with AmeriCorps , I was young and it was my first job in childcare. I took away a lot of important things I would need in my future career.
Americorps, Service you will not forget
Administrative Aide and Support (Former Employee) –  East Saint Louis, ILJanuary 18, 2017
I had a blast working for AmeriCorps. I really liked by Supervisors, my Instructors, my secretaries, and my Principles. I was an Administrative assistant/ Teacher Assistant. Each day I was responsible for assisting with their daily task, with a big part being, assisting with classroom and child management. In liberal terms, meaning behavior, which was very helpful, concerning that about 80 percent of the staff was female. In adding, it brought its challenges. However, I had a team of parents, co-workers, friends, and colleagues, where we made it all happen, and we had fun doing so. The most memorable part about this opportunity was the time we assisted with the devastation after Hurricane Katrina. Alongside of my director and group of members of my AmeriCorps team, we headed en route to something more challenging.
Pros
Eduction Award
Cons
NOTHING
A year in Service
Marketing & Outreach Speciliast (VISTA) (Former Employee) –  JAG AzJanuary 17, 2017
This job was challenging but rewarding seeing the difference I made in the community I served in. It's challenging to live off of the stipend provided by the AmeriCorps program. It was a very meaningful experience for me and I would recommended it to anyone.
Pros
Education Stipend
Cons
Low monthly stipends
Not for me
Community Parks Team Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2017
I felt cheated in a way because I only had the chance to get one interview for one worksite which was Partnerships for Parks. Partnerships for Parks is a great organization but only for those who really love parks or don't mind working in any environment. However, Partnerships for Parks was only my assigned work site. In my opinion, Americorps/NYC Civic Corps need a lot of changes. They need to better assess the worksites that they assign their participants to. The government should also raise the stipend that is given to individuals. It is not possible to live in NYC off the little bit of money that they give people.

Overall, I would say it is still good to try if you truly wish to volunteer. Just make sure you are comfortable with the site that you are assigned to.
Pros
Free Metro Card
n/a
Mentor/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAJanuary 17, 2017
a great place to work. The only it was here to live in Washington state on the stipend they gave us. The cost of living was very expensive to live in washington state
job Americorps Opass
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 16, 2017
good flexible hours/ scheduled
pay is ok but not enough.
enjoyable part of job is working with the students.
management is alright, but could improve.
Best Experience of My Life
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  McClellan, CA 95652January 15, 2017
AmeriCorps NCCC- FEMA Corps was the best experience! I rated compensation/benefits low because of the small living stipend. However, this program isn't about getting paid. It's about national service and helping those in the community. Also, you do get an Education award for a little over $5,000 when you graduate the program. If you're in FEMA Corps it may be a little harder to balance your work and social life if deployed on a disaster. Sometimes you're working 12 hours shifts on a disaster and I do admit that it gets tough. However, the benefits and experience completely outweigh the toughness of long hours and sometimes little sleep. In ten months, I have lived in 4 different states, traveled in 14 others and met some of the most amazing people who are forever a part of my family. I've worked in many federal facilities, partnered with voluntary agencies and networked with many people. I've experienced Easter in New Orleans, LA, Memorial Day in Austin, TX, and Fourth of July in Dallas, TX. I've seen places that I never thought I could afford to see nor did I think I'd ever want to go to. If you love to travel for free ( they pay for you airfare to your campus, gas, housing, food) and helping people, consider being a part of the AmeriFam and proudly wear that A!
Pros
paid travel, food, housing, uniforms. CPR/First Aid/AED trained. FEMA trainings, networking, memories and a family for life
Cons
overall review
Economic Empowerment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYJanuary 13, 2017
Gained really good insight on developing finances and really enjoyed helping women get back on their feet through fiscal responsibility.

Teaching financial lit classes to women
Productive work environment
Project YES! Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2017
Great program and learned a lot from working here. This volunteer experience led me to my full-time at the school I currently work at.
Pros
stipend for living and education award for student loans
Cons
long work hours
A fun and challenging job.
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAJanuary 13, 2017
I worked with under served youth ages 13-17 through The Multicultural Family Center. We spent every day at a community garden learning about the importance of health and caring for our environment. On Fridays, I lead the youth with community service trips. I found it challenging to work with the youth and develop relationships, but by the end of the summer we were working together.
Incredible development program
Team Leader, North Shore Elementary School (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 11, 2017
Work 50+ hours per week with students and developing young professionals in DTO schools.
Received various job-skill training to best serve our students, AmeriCorps members, and communities.
great learning experience
trail ranger (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 11, 2017
This job showed me how to work with others not just my coworkers but the public as well,i became a leader and a great follower, that broke me out of my shell and i became out going instead of being shy.
Pros
company trips
Cons
Great opportunity to help build capacity in non profit sector.
Work-Based Learning Coordinator (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 8, 2017
Had many opportunities to build capacity in the schools in Detroit. Students were our main focus and we were able to implement programing to sustain success for many years to come.
Pros
Team building, networking and fun
Cons
No full time career placement
I got an oppurtunity to give back to the community
Literacy Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 7, 2017
I enjoyed learning new skills and making a positive impact. I lived a life filled with service everyday by being a positive influence. You complete a year of community service in a community or communities that are less fortunate.
Pros
I got an oppurtunity to reach out to people of different backgrounds
Overall good place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INJanuary 6, 2017
My review does not directly describe my AmeriCorps experience. It also describes my service site experience. The two did not line up. AmeriCorps was amazing. My service site was not.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Service Site
The pay and money were great, but the job was not as advertised
Mathematics Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 6, 2017
The salary and the benefits included were spectacular, well above what I would expect from an equivalent job elsewhere. This being said, the expectations were higher than advertised. When I was first hired, I was assured that this job would not interfere with my school schedule. I was fine as long as I was finishing the expected deliverables. After working for about a month, many various mandatory meetings and travel trips kept coming up, the worst of these being in the middle of finals week.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmeriCorps. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4