AmeriCorps Employee Reviews in United States

Showing all 1,209 reviews
Excellent
AmeriCorps Team Leader (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 4, 2016
Very helpful and flexible. Always willing to help and teach individuals to their full potential. excellent trainings and lots of community involvement
Great Place to work
Homeless Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pewaukee, WIApril 1, 2016
Very professional place to work and friendly environment. The hardest part of my job was knowing where to start and how to help people inside and outside my office environment.
AmeriCorps is not considered employment, it is considered a service.
Member (Current Employee) –  Oswego, NYApril 1, 2016
AmeriCorps is not considered employment, it considered a volunteered service.

We provide a service to various communities in all areas as are needed, much like Peace Corps, but on a National Level.
Pros
We receive a stipend of a livable wage.
Cons
AmeriCorps is not employment.
volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 1, 2016
I was only a volunteer so I cannot provide much about compensation, benefits, hours, etc. but the staff and workers were very friendly and a joy to be around
Great experience
VetCorps Navigator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 31, 2016
- Serving student veteran on a campus environment. Assist, mentor and refer students veteran to appropriate person.
- Providing training and support to college faculty, staff and administration to increase awareness of student veterans’ needs;
- Providing a peer connection for veterans new to higher education;
- Helping the college to meet the needs of student veterans; and
Greatest learning experience doing miserable work
Service Member (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 28, 2016
Service Members in AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC) lived together in teams of 8-10 people, travelling to do non-profit and service work as needed. Sometimes we built houses, sometimes we planted trees, sometimes we scrubbed floors, and sometimes we worked a front desk.

One of the greatest learning experiences was finding your own work-life balance, even when you live with your colleagues and sleep on the floor. You have one team leader on the team, and in this way you learn to be responsible for yourself and your own happiness while working independently but also building team skills. Communication is key and you learn the importance of professional relationships pretty quickly.

Almost monthly a team member would have the opportunity to be selected as Assistant Team Leader, which means they were quickly trained to help take over management duties and even become acting team leader in case of emergency or absence. In this way, each member got the chance to learn leadership skills.

The hardest part of the job was that it was a lot of labor, but also getting along with your colleagues while living with them; however one of the most rewarding experiences was finding common ground with your teammates, and building an almost family-type relationship with each other and learning to depend on one another. You never know just how important your coworkers will be to your job.
Pros
Plethora of experiences, travelling, honest work, great community, great service
Cons
living stipend below minimum wage, tough living conditions, high stress, isolation
Nice organization to work with, a lot great opportunity.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 28, 2016
My typical days was from Monday to Friday and it was very flexible.I learned a lot of training about good communication with Patient. My supervisor was the best one ever had, I missed her so much, and I also had a very nice group of people that I worked with.
Pros
pay lunch
Cons
one hour lunch
Engaging workplace with upbeat coworkers and mission driven activity
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Huntington, INMarch 25, 2016
A typical day at work consists of creating documents, recognizing volunteers, organizing and recording data.

I've learned that you have to set boundaries for your work and stick to them.
Earn tuition $$ while serving your community and having fun!
Mentor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COMarch 23, 2016
Americorps is like the Peacecorps in that you are in service locally rather than abroad. You are compensated by a low stipend but you also get substantial tuition money to school when you are through with your commitment. You meet a lot of people and serve at non-profits and participate in community events which are covered by the media. It's a pleasure to serve and is very rewarding. The term limits are two and I would kept going if I could have!
Pros
rewards from different non-profits in kind, high energy and fun
Cons
So many rewards to count!
Amazing experience with youth in a scholastic environment.
AmeriCorps CTEP (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 23, 2016
I work 7 AM to 3 PM with some of the most dynamic and incredibly resilient kids I have ever met. They make each day a learning and growing process, and I consider it a huge honor to be a part of all of their lives.
Productive and fun place to work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Radford, VAMarch 23, 2016
The working atmosphere is wonderful. Great people, great clients. It gives you a great feeling to know that you are able to provide food and clothing for people who are in desperate need.
Tremendous experience getting to help children advance in their education
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMarch 22, 2016
8-5
Summer Program
Reading time
Movie time
Teaching activity
lunch
Silent reading
Outdoor/Indoor free time (park, field trips, watch movies)
AmeriCorps is a great way to serve our country!
Housing Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 21, 2016
I have had the pleasure to serve as an AmeriCorps Vista going on 2 years now. I have learned so much about how a community really works, and the importance of working with a team.
Pros
Service satisfies the heart and soul.
Cons
There are none
Great
Fellow (Current Employee) –  Tower Grove ParkMarch 18, 2016
I love this organization. I think they have a great mission as well as a great supporting staff that will help you through every step
Pros
health benefits, school hours
Cons
high need schools
Adventurous place to work
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 17, 2016
NCCC was fun , I got to travel to places I've never been before. It was truly amazing and I would do it all over again. I got to meet people from all across the world, I got to connect with them and build relationships with them.
Productive workplace
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMarch 15, 2016
Good place to start out with work. It can be very fun working with the different students and creating new activities. It can get very stressful at times but it is worth the learning experience.
Pros
The pay is good compared to minimum wage jobs, the loan/scholarship money at end
Cons
Not being able take off really. Having to make 40hrs a week regardless
Fun Job!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 13, 2016
I enjoyed seeing the little kids that I worked with on a daily basis. There was never a dull moment working with the little ones. I saw how they progress from not knowing how to write their names in the beginning of the school year. To knowing how to write their name by the end of first quarter or by the end of the school year. The most enjoyable part of the job was that everyday was never the same. Although, you had a daily routine with the children, they always seemed to surprise you on what they know or what they'll say.
Americorps Member
Idaho AmeriCorps, AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Ketchum, IDMarch 11, 2016
An excellent growing experience, but super tough, If you can survive this then you can survive anything!! The environmental education outreach was very enriching
Excellent work environment and training
Americorps Vista Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Swink, OKMarch 9, 2016
Worked with students in the reading program. Student interaction was enjoyable. I found it rewarding to see children succeed in reading. My co-workers were pleasant and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was the development of the Reading Counts reward program.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low pay
Very Educational
Volunteer Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2016
Americorp is a good work job experience for recent College graduates that have no previous corporate work experience in corporate workforce.
Pros
provides work experience
Cons
Pay

4.4