Amerigroup Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent work environment
Customer Service Technician I/BH Dept (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA 23466April 3, 2016
Busy, in a good way. A call center environment. I learned that nothing stays the same. Management is cohesive.Co-workers are dependable. The hardest part of the job is computer issues, not working, Having input data in manually. I loved talking to consumers and providers. They became like family. Overall, I enjoyed working for this company.
Pros
Good health care benefits, advancement, employee recognition
Cons
Breaks, abstances monitored on a point system, Vacation pay and sick time not separated
Productive Fun work place
SQL BI developer (SSAS/SSIS/T-SQL) (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 31, 2016
Fast phase work atmosphere Mangers are the best. they identify the responsibility
Able to perform all tasks related to the day-to-day operations including managing users, creating and maintaining custom objects and fields, handling data migration, maintenance and installation and support of AppExchange applications
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Long Hours
Good place to work depending on the management
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 24, 2016
Isn't it always the case that a manager can make or break a department, the job culture, the company.
In my case it began wonderful, great manager, great attitude, loved coming to work. With Amerigroup/Wellpoint/Anthem (went through the name changes all in one year), changes did happen, people moving around, up, down, sideways. Changes are good right? It means opportunities, growth. Yet, how about young managers, inexperienced managers moving up to positions. They may be a know the company well, but do not know how to manage and don't talk about training, There isn't any real training for associates, never mind the managers. They try to do it through one on ones, which end up being more about smoke breaks, gossip, etc.
Next another reorg. When is this going to stop? Another shift in management. It's the luck of the draw. I've seen people reassigned to a new position, new work, without even asking you. You are just an asset to move around.
So you must be someone who can bend, yet stand strong, but most of all know when it's time to jump ship if you are unluckily reorg'd into one of the few, but large, departments ruled by unscrupulous management.
Pros
Gym on site, tennis court, basket ball. Very nice campus.
Cons
Some great managers and directors, some just unscrupulous.
Pretty good place to work, great people
Investigator I (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 1, 2016
I worked there for 15 years. It was a pretty good place to work with a lot of really great people. It was a better place to work when it was a smaller company because it had a lot of growing pains back in the day. I had several positions during my tenure there and was pretty happy working there.
Nice place to work
Performance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 24, 2016
I work as a performance engineer here. The environment is good and people are friendly. I enjoy being a team member here.
Good mission, they are still in the beginning stages of developing protocals, processes and procedures. Communitcation needs to improve.
LTSS Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 18, 2016
Excellent team of co-workers. Expectations are constantly changing. Really enjoyed working with the members. Typical day includes completing face to face assessments with members; completing required forms and documents for KanCare; completing authorizations for services; sending authorizations and documents to providers, uploading information to AGP system.
Pros
Good team to work with.
Cons
High caseloads, timeline turnaround is a short window with large amounts of documentation, implementation time frames short.
Working for Manage Care Organization
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 16, 2016
Work at Amerigoup, was an amazing place, before being acquired by a larger company. The core values were present and everyone was happy with employment. However, management has changed and the core values do not shine as before. There is no room for advancement; managers keep leaving while encouraging associates to leave also. There is no way you are going to advance in the company. Several managers show blatant bias and favoritism; in addition, director of call center is rumored to employ several current employees signification others in her other businesses which lead to ethic complains being filed by other employees. Which is now causing agents to feel devalued with no want to change the negativity.
A typical workday includes taken back-to-back calls, on a strict adherence schedule. You will encounter all different types of cultures, and ethnic groups from all over the United States, keep in mind you will be communicating with the general Medicaid population, which includes, but not limited to elderly, young soon to be mothers, individuals living with mental and emotional challenges. Depending on which position you are in will determine what information you will provided.
What I have learned working here, is you have to be knowledgeable about a little of everything, and make the personal effort to be better at your position without recognition. You have to have the personal drive to come and do your job, learned not to stand out. There are negative connotations to people who want to improve and do better.
Management is a buddy, buddy system. If one manager does not care
  more... for you, all the managers will know. There are no leaders, among them; they actually sit around talking among themselves. The manager style has really changed, from being hands on and personal to unavailable and condescending.
Co-workings can be nice, and very supportive, and good-natured, everyone wants to be the best and encouraging, and we all face the same adversity. Everyone is always ready for a potluck and eating seems to bring the agents together.
The hardest part of my job is not being valued for the work we do, and not being appreciated. To expected to perform the task of my position with very little resources that actually work. The best part of my day is the end when I had completed my tasks and put fourth my best effort to complete my work.
Pros
Relocate to other states
Cons
Short Lunches, blacking out can not take time off, no sick time.
Executive leadership is very punitive
Manager of Utilization Management (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 13, 2016
I always wondered how some of the leaders got their positions, but it was more than likely WHO they knew, not WHAT they knew.
Stressful and Favoritism
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 2, 2016
I enjoyed working from home. But out of sight out of mind. They believe that remote employees can do twice as many visits and jobs as a traditional office person.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
large case loads and High amounts of paperwork
Fun place to work
Supervisor for Long Term Care Department (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 2, 2016
I really enjoyed the extra provider training going city to city. I was a trainer I enjoyed training all my new hire employees.
Pros
Training classes
Cons
Mangement weak
Great Place to work
CREDENTILING MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 31, 2016
Growth and learning on a daily basis, enjoy everyone and supervisors I work for and with. Lots of room for personal and professional growth. I would recommend Amerigroup to be a wonderful fulfilling place of employment.
Exciting place to work.
Social Worker/Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2016
I currently work from home. A typical day for me consist of coordinating discharges, conference calls, advocating for members, home visits etc.

Over the years I have learned to take advantage of every opportunity and not to take anything personal.

My most re-warding part of my job is sharing the excitement of a member re-locating home.

The hardest part of my job is not always having the tools to complete the work assigned.

Example: ITT issues.
Pros
Telework
Cons
When ITT issues occur
Productive and fun place
IT Application Analyst (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 20, 2015
It was a good project the environment and work place very nice.It was fun working with amerigroup.Everybody was very helpful and nice up there.
Love the place
Benefit Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXDecember 13, 2015
A typical day her was just getting our benefits for patients and insurance verified for a specific drug which was recently FDA approved. I learned so much about Health Insurance from companies to the types of insurances there are.
Pros
So much to learn
provider/member advocate
Provider/ Member Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 12, 2015
advised member benefits
changed pcp's
scheduled transportation
explained eob to providers and members
xferred members to nurses
Pros
loved my department and the people i worked with
Cons
lots of changes in management
fun pace to work
Precertfication (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 6, 2015
My supervisor is excellent she is patient and helpful. It was a fun place to work for. The staff there is awesome and the co-worker are pleasant. Everyone gets along and the co-worker helps one another it is a good place to work for. It can be a little stressful at times but all in all it a good job.
Good environment until purchased by Wellpoint/Anthem
Pharmacy Account Management Director (Former Employee) –  Off Premise WorkerNovember 13, 2015
Environment changed upon purchase by Wellpoint/Anthem. I worked from home full time, so that was a plus.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make decisions based on my experience and knowledge.
Outpatient UM
Utilization Review RN (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 10, 2015
Great place to work! Immediate management are great to work with and they do not micro manage.

Work at home jobs available
Pros
stress free
Cons
low place
Job
Senior Claim Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 4, 2015
My co-workers were wonderful to work with everyday and company as a whole was nice position and place to work. Job Work/Life Balance
Amerigroup use to be good before becoming Anthem.
Claims Representative II (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 25, 2015
Amerigroup use to be a awesome place to work before it became Anthem. I wouldn't advise my worst enemy if I had one to work there now. There is no advancement or room for you to grow at all now.. They have a bunch of morons in upper management that make rules but are clueless to what it takes to be successful in the department of the associates that actually do the work.. They have unrealistic goals for you and when you ask questions they duck and dodge around your question without ever giving you a straight answer. The majority of the staff is on PIP's or Corrective Actions. And these are associates who for years have worked for Amerigroup and were great modeled associates. Now all of a sudden they are not meeting the goals and are on write-ups. You don't get credit for all of your work. And according to upper management "its factored in".. Its just horrible there. You can feel the tension in the air because everyone is so stressed and unhappy. People who were "Off premises workers" for years , are now slowly but surely being dragged back in to the office to work because they are according to Anthem not meeting the standards and have to work in the office now. There is a over abundance of mandatory overtime every week. People are burnt out and are expected to complete 7-10 hours every week, and people have families and are just tired. Its awful.. There is no morale at all! Stay away!!!
Pros
Flex start of your shift 6am -9am.
Cons
No growth, no morale, unrelatistic expectations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amerigroup Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Amerigroup Corporation Reviews by Location