Ameriprise Financial

Ameriprise Financial Employee Reviews

Great job
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 13, 2016
This was my favorite job. I learned so many different things that only advanced me. Management needs some help with communicating. I was there for a year and half and at my 6 month review I was told I was doing great, at my year review I was told I was doing great and at my 1 1/2 year review I was told the same thing. Only to be laid off in October because in their eyes I didn't "own my position". If I wasn't meeting their expectations or needed improvement in areas there was plenty of time to be told to do so. The hardest part of the job was working on events when tasked with scheduling conference rooms for over 20 advisors, buying all office supplies, stocking the kitchen, scheduling appointments, and basically anything that needed to be done. I loved this job and the company. Great pay, great benefits, great atmosphere.
Pros
Benefits, co-workers were friendly, Monday-Friday job
Cons
Not being able to leave for lunch, lack of communication
Setup to fail
Claims Rep 2 (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 18, 2017
The company's number one stated core value is integrity, however, the management above the supervisor position has rarely shown any. Anything promised or eluded to should be taken with a grain of salt.

Your workload is artificially made to look low because they do not track transfered files/ work. So while on paper you receive 70 to 80 files, you're really getting 100 to 120. Management will not back you on any decisions you make. If a customer complains, it will be your fault and you will be written up. Forced through by the upper management. Your supervisor will have no power to help you no matter how much they want to. I was not a supervisor.

Pay is for 40 hours a week salary, but are known to need 50-60 per week to catch up within reasonable levels.

In Phoenix you will be considered garbage by the high and mighty DePere, Wi. Office. (Corporate headquarters)
Pros
Covered parking
Cons
Un reasonable expectations, uncaring upper management, toxic work environment, poor benefits package, very high turnover
Normal small office atmosphere
Client Service Coordinator, Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIDecember 13, 2016
Most days were the same. Normally days included the same tasks as previous day. Became somewhat redundant. Management was good. No training. Advancement was limited. Co workers were stand offish and there wasn't much of a team atmosphere. Firm was sold to another inside of company.
Pros
compensation, work life balance
Cons
no healthcare, no advancement
Sr. QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 18, 2016
Good work-life balance / integration
Large company pros - good benefits, lots of areas for future career moves, training, learning from and with smart colleagues, some interesting projects
Pros
Good work-life balance / integration" .Company has integrity, good people and good benefits"
Cons
"Awful work life balance the work load is very extensive"
Solid company that invests in employees
VICE PRESIDENT (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 2, 2016
I spent most of my career to date with Ameriprise and have nothing but good things to say about the company- and anything that might not have been optimal I'm sure I could say about any group of people/company. Excellent opportunities for advancement, strong commitment to employee training and growth. Challenging assignments. Excellent benefits. Solid Pay.
Pros
Great place to grow
Cons
Normal culture issues existing in any company
Decent company; but would avoid working in certain areas.
Medical Subrogation Specialist (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIJuly 28, 2016
I worked in the auto and home division. Most areas were fantastic; but other areas were ran very poorly with poor management. The work is not gratifying; and managers do not do a very good job in showing gratitude to employees. If you achieve certain levels; the questions then come out as to why you can't do more; versus congratulating you on what you achieved. Also a very HUGE culture of favoritism.
Pros
Decent pay, great benefits.
Cons
Management culture is one in which they have you work in fear, versus showing you gratitude for great work.
Low end to middle
Clearing Service Professional II (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 6, 2016
Ameriprise Financial I enjoyed worked for, however they were doing a lot of outsourcing to India and we were loosing portions of our job duties and not gaining anything in addition.
loved my co-workers, but management did not listen to us, as far as suggestions. There was a lot of turnover of management.
the hardest part of my job was to let go of certain job duties to be outsourced.
most enjoyable was the duties I was able to keep and have them completed with 100% accuracy. Loved to cross train and learn new roles in the department.
Pros
nice benefits
Cons
to much outsourcing
Productive and fun place to work - ping pong table at Service Center
Business Management, Planning and Administration (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 6, 2017
Energetic and results-driven company committed to meeting goals and providing excellent customer service. Solid employee networks to create a positive and productive workplace. Eye on strengthening employee engagement and communities.
Pros
Benefits, Development, Culture
Unprofessional
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  OhioNovember 30, 2016
The office I was in was uncomfortable due to inappropriate comments that were made. The job I was offered was not at all that was presented to me.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No benefits
Productive and high intensive work place
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Blythewood, SCSeptember 25, 2016
A typical day at work consists of me preparing for the various licenses I have to obtain to be able to become an advisor along with helping with writing financial plans for clients and constructing financial profiles. Furthermore, I worked in Morningstar and NaviPlan daily to prep for client meetings and would sit in on meetings with clients. I learned how to build relationships with clients the proper way and how to best serve them to keep them satisfied during tough financial times. I learned the companies proprietary software on financial planning and daily business operations. My co-workers are great and very supportive and have great attitudes. The hardest part of the job is calming nerves of clients during stressful financial times when they want to move their money and we have to assure them that where we have them is what is best suitable for them. Another difficult aspect of the job is that there is no true training program; it is a lot of self-teaching and figuring things out as you go and is hard to find guidance because the senior advisor is very busy constantly. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interactions with clients and building relationships and helping them achieving their financial dreams.
Pros
Building relationships that can prosper and grow and working with people
Cons
No benefits, unprofessional environment.
Was enjoyable working with the clients coming in for their appointments with the Advisors
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Glencoe, MNJuly 10, 2016
Greeting clients when coming in for appointments. Enjoyed following up on the appointment by doing notes and entering data. Filing was also a daily task.The Advisor was great to work with.
Pros
Daytime hours and being able to leave for lunch
Cons
No benefits except vacation
Great- depending on the advisor you work for
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 28, 2016
I had alot of fun working with Ameriprise, although, there is alot of downfalls to this job.
-No bonus
-Barely any paid sick time/vacation days (5 in TOTAL together)
-Not much room for advancement
-No benefits of any kind
Company asks a lot but rewards can be great
Director (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 29, 2016
Ameriprise Financial has much opportunity for a person who wants to work hard to succeed. Employees are intelligent, educated and motivated. Most leaders have earned their positions through hard work rather than who they know. The company is an industry leader with good returns.

As any big company, they are less committed to you than you are to them and workforce reductions aren't uncommon. But severance is generous.
Pros
Growth opportunities, good benefits
Cons
High expectations, workforce reductions
Good place to work, Strong Benefits
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIMay 25, 2016
I really liked working for Ameriprise as a company. They had great benefits and a good culture, however I could not keep up with company goals and was not enjoying my job
Pros
Great Pay, Great Benefits
Cons
Continuing increase of job requirements
Great Experience
Financial Planning Associate (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLOctober 13, 2016
A typical day at work included doing special projects for my employers. When clients would come in I would greet them, ask them if they wanted a beverage, and if they had any questions I would answer them.

I learned how a financial services practice is run, and how to interact with clients. I would sit in on client meetings, so I could be able to do this in the future. They prepared me in every way possible to be a financial advisor.

Management and co-workers were great. They helped me whenever they could, and answer questions I had about the business or a specific project I was working at.

The hardest part of the job was taking the tests to be licensed and become a financial advisor. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting hands on experience and learning from my employers.
was a good place to work at the beginging
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIJanuary 30, 2016
I worked for Ameriprise Auto and Home Insurance for almost 10 years. It went from a small customer based insurance company that cared about it's customers as individuals to a larger customer based insurance company that did not look at the customer as much as a person but as a number and it's employees much the same. Growth changed the company and made it a hard place to work and feel valued, or feel like I was making a difference for my customers.
Pros
vacation time, co-worders, work enviroment, salary
Cons
not customer focused only number driven, management, company moral, company initiatives
Challenging environment (fun for problem solvers like me) but lack of focus on work life balance
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 4, 2015
This review applies to field environment only - I do not work at corporate office so not very sure what it is like there.

A very challenging work place where we deal with time sensitive deadlines on a daily basis. There is never a dull moment as we all say it, you are always on your toes. You wear multiple hats everyday from doing administrative work, to analyst work and client service interactions. The job requires a good balance of people skill and analytic skill.

However, work life balance is something hard to find. The franchise workplace offer bare bone benefits since they are all small business owners, so don't get your hopes up there. For the same reason, advancement is very limited, so it is best suited for people who like a static positions that are, for the most part, more secure than average.
Pros
constantly learning something new
Cons
poor benefits, poor advancement
Productive and fun workplace with many opportunities for learning.
Planning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 7, 2016
A typical day at work includes client outreach (setting appointments, checking in, preparing mailing for clients, and assisting with any client questions via email or telephone), data entry, and meeting preparation. I have learned and mastered many skills during my four years at Ameriprise such as data entry, customer service, microsoft office, meeting prep, multitasking, meeting deadlines, etc. I have found the work environment to be pleasant and my co-workers encouraging. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I helped lessen the burden of a client's financial situation.
Productive place to work
Executive Assistant & Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 20, 2016
My typical day consists of various administrative support duties such as: scheduling, answering phones, wiring money to clients, investing cash into a portfolio, planning upcoming client/prospect events, securing venues and negotiating contracts for the events, following up with prospects that attended our event to convert into a new High Valued Client.

The hardest part of my job is trying to advance within the company.

The most enjoyable part of my job is helping and witnessing a practice grow from my event/marketing expertise (acquiring new clients/assets)
Auto Claims Representative II - Simply just 'OK'
Auto Claims Representative II (Current Employee) –  De Pere, WIJune 28, 2016
Not a bad place to work - decent PTO/sick time, can progress through the company with hardwood and good performance. But, the job seemed a lot better on paper than it really is. Have you use your PTO for national holidays, work/life balance is awful, extremely difficult to obtain days you actually want off work, work load is unapproachable, you will always work more than 8 hours a day, training is too classroom-oriented and not hands on enough.
Pros
Stability, coaching
Cons
PTO, PTO requests, work/life balance, work load

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ameriprise Financial. Our community is ready to answer.