Ameriprise Financial Employee Reviews in United States

Company asks a lot but rewards can be great
Director (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 29, 2016
Ameriprise Financial has much opportunity for a person who wants to work hard to succeed. Employees are intelligent, educated and motivated. Most leaders have earned their positions through hard work rather than who they know. The company is an industry leader with good returns.

As any big company, they are less committed to you than you are to them and workforce reductions aren't uncommon. But severance is generous.
Pros
Growth opportunities, good benefits
Cons
High expectations, workforce reductions
was a good place to work at the beginging
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIJanuary 30, 2016
I worked for Ameriprise Auto and Home Insurance for almost 10 years. It went from a small customer based insurance company that cared about it's customers as individuals to a larger customer based insurance company that did not look at the customer as much as a person but as a number and it's employees much the same. Growth changed the company and made it a hard place to work and feel valued, or feel like I was making a difference for my customers.
Pros
vacation time, co-worders, work enviroment, salary
Cons
not customer focused only number driven, management, company moral, company initiatives
Challenging environment (fun for problem solvers like me) but lack of focus on work life balance
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 4, 2015
This review applies to field environment only - I do not work at corporate office so not very sure what it is like there.

A very challenging work place where we deal with time sensitive deadlines on a daily basis. There is never a dull moment as we all say it, you are always on your toes. You wear multiple hats everyday from doing administrative work, to analyst work and client service interactions. The job requires a good balance of people skill and analytic skill.

However, work life balance is something hard to find. The franchise workplace offer bare bone benefits since they are all small business owners, so don't get your hopes up there. For the same reason, advancement is very limited, so it is best suited for people who like a static positions that are, for the most part, more secure than average.
Pros
constantly learning something new
Cons
poor benefits, poor advancement
Overall Good
Sr. Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 29, 2016
Good work life balance
Culture wise good
Fair Benefits
No bad things about Amerprise Financial
Overall decent company with good benefits
Financial Planning Assistant - P2 Field Advisor Office
Financial Planning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 13, 2016
Ameriprise has decent support programs to facilitate P2 field advisors, however, their home office support is not in line with industry standards. As an employee of a P2 Ameriprise advisor, the work environment and job duties were much at the discretion of the advisor I supported, rather than Ameriprise's corporate culture.

I mostly used Ameriprise systems to run reports, log client correspondence, and assist in the creation of financial plans for clients. Growth opportunities were limited in my particular office based on continuous office turnover and lack of concrete business plan.
Amazing company to work for
Client Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 11, 2016
the company is amazing and cares about its employees
They care about their Clients
They care about the community
You work hard but it pays off
Good compensation
Great hours
Great corporate office employees
Awesome work life balance
Team Leader (Analyst) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 3, 2016
You will love working here if you are looking for satisfying work and personal life balance. Lot of opportunity to showcase performance and to advance in your career. Great employee retention plans and policies. You can think of a very long term career here.
Pros
Great work life balance
advisor
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 19, 2016
The more you work, the more money you make. Management is helpful. They paid for my series 7, 63 and insurance license. Job security can be trouble if you cant make sales
Great corporate culture
Registered Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 15, 2016
Wonderful company to work for. Great place to grow career wise. Management extremely flexible if you have family issues and need to tend to personal business.
A nice work environment who cares about the safety and well being of their employees
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNSeptember 8, 2015
I worked for Ameriprise financial for 13years. I love my job and I love working for Ameriprise because they have exceptional management, great benefits and incentives for all their employees. I would have continued working for them while I still go to school to pursue my career in nursing. Unfortunately, my job got outsourced but I loved and enjoyed the time I worked for Ameriprise Financial.
Great benefits and work atmosphere
Licensing, Compensation and Client Transitions (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 5, 2016
I Have worked for a few different leaders in this company. This company has great benefits package, including competitive paid time off, 401k match and pays 75% of your group benefits.
Good company to make your start
Ameriprise Financial Services (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 12, 2016
Ameriprise is a great company to start. The pay does not reflect the additional skills and experience you gain thru your career. The people are great. I loved the environment and will miss my co-workers.
Pros
People, Culture
Cons
Pay is not that well
Loyal workforce and steady company
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 25, 2016
Ameriprise is what you make it. If you can manage your time and work properly you can achieve a great work/life balance. Good benefits and people stay at the company.
Busy, challenging, fun environment
Vice President, Mutual Fund Operations (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 18, 2015
The most enjoyable part of working at Ameriprise is definitely the people - I worked with some really smart people who were always focused on collaborating and working as a team to accomplish a goal. It was a very busy environment and senior management didn't seem to care much about the hours worked, but they also reward you very well if you work hard and add value to projects/goals. There is definitely a connection between your performance and your compensation.

The technology is good. Employee development is also very good. Time off is probably average.
Pros
great people, interesting projects, good compensation
Cons
Without Costco contract no job stability
Sales Agent/ Client Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 26, 2015
Pro's and Con's speaks for itself. Progressive started underwriting their own home insurance. Progressive and Costco were paying the majority of bills for the Auto & Home Ins. department. Without Progressive expect drawbacks. Costco's contract is for 3 more years (5 year contract). Ameriprise Auto & Home has borrowed money from Ameriprise Financial to keep the lights on due to losing business partners. Received 1 check in the month of February and second check 2nd week in March. Do not file a grievance against another employee even with proof or witnesses, you are an at-will employee within this company. Employee retention is noticeable within weeks of hire, so keep a resume handy.
Pros
Free Coffee, Medical Benefits start first date of emploement
Cons
Pay, Checks are distributed late, Advancement, Job placement, Mandatory overtime, Sick Pay, Favortisim, Stability
Decent company; but would avoid working in certain areas.
Medical Subrogation Specialist (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIJuly 28, 2016
I worked in the auto and home division. Most areas were fantastic; but other areas were ran very poorly with poor management. The work is not gratifying; and managers do not do a very good job in showing gratitude to employees. If you achieve certain levels; the questions then come out as to why you can't do more; versus congratulating you on what you achieved. Also a very HUGE culture of favoritism.
Pros
Decent pay, great benefits.
Cons
Management culture is one in which they have you work in fear, versus showing you gratitude for great work.
Fun workplace and nice people to work with.
Site Administrator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 10, 2016
In all my years of working at Ameriprise Financial Services, I had a great working relationship with all the managers and staff. It was like a family and since they knew I was conscientious about doing a good job, they let me do my job and if I had any issues I was comfortable enough with everyone that I could get assistance from them.
Pros
Excellent benefits including a 401K and retirement plan along with stock ownership of the company.
Cons
Auto Claims Representative II - Simply just 'OK'
Auto Claims Representative II (Current Employee) –  De Pere, WIJune 28, 2016
Not a bad place to work - decent PTO/sick time, can progress through the company with hardwood and good performance. But, the job seemed a lot better on paper than it really is. Have you use your PTO for national holidays, work/life balance is awful, extremely difficult to obtain days you actually want off work, work load is unapproachable, you will always work more than 8 hours a day, training is too classroom-oriented and not hands on enough.
Pros
Stability, coaching
Cons
PTO, PTO requests, work/life balance, work load
Not a very good experience
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 29, 2015
Long hours and little respect. The management team does not respect employees or their needs. With headquarters in MN, they are not aware of the Boston culture or rates. Employees in Boston are hired for the lowest rate and not the best value making projects very hard to deliver.
Pros
Cons
Just not a good enviornment
Very GoodPlace to work
Java Developer/Tech Lead (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 31, 2016
My Experience with Ameriprise Financial is very Good.
Worklife balance is there.It's a caring culture, with good work / life balance, leaders who are flexible and have real expectations of employees and they act with high integrity.