Ameristar Casinos, Inc.

Ameristar Casinos, Inc. Employer Reviews

Great Coworkers; Awful Beverage Mangement
Beverage Server (Former Employee), Vicksburg, MSMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Great People to work with
Cons: Beverage management is terrible
I loved my job. Meeting new people and being helpful made me feel wonderful and gave me job satisfaction. I worked with wonderful people and had friends in almost every department. Most upper management is great and makes you feel like you are important. However, beverage management leaves something to be desired. One manager in particular was bad about favouritism. Picking on one employee for something but allowing others to go unchecked for the same thing and worse. If this manager didn't like you she would make it her mission to make your work life miserable. Managers should be someone to look up to and emulate but they have to earn it. She didn't. She was fake and and ugly person on the inside. By all means, work for Ameristar in Vicksburg, MS. Just not the beverage department.
Good company to work for
Casino Services Representative (Current Employee), Vicksburg, MSMarch 25, 2015
The staff is friendly. Having the proper knowledge about the promotions and other events throughout the casino. Great customer service.
Ok company, better before buyout
Casino Management (Current Employee), USAMarch 22, 2015
Advancement opportunities are great front line team members but are limited when moving up. Pay is great for some areas but lacking for others. Benefits are good compared to other companies but worse than before buyout.

The culture of the company is good and departments work well together. This is a fast paced work environment and is enjoyable. Work hours are flexible being a 24/7 operation, but expect to work most weekends and holidays.
Terrible
Cook (Former Employee), East Chicago, INMarch 4, 2015
Pros: rate of pay
Cons: unclean
They have an unclean and mismanaged work environment.

Unprofessional through-out the kitchen, the typical day began with me finishing the prior days tasks before I could begin my own.

Poor organization lead to poor performance and overall
job dissatisfaction.

Management allowed the employees to fail
Great advancement opportunities
Food and Beverage Manager (Current Employee), Vicksburg, MSFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: family work enviroment.
Cons: 24-7, 365.
Ameristar is a great place for someone in the hospitality industry to learn and continue to get more and more advancement opportunities.
Such a great envirnoment
Slot Supervisor (Former Employee), Saint Charles, MOFebruary 18, 2015
I really enjoyed the casino life because it's like no other. Interacting with so many people each day definitely kept things interesting.
Enjoyed meeting new people
Waiter/Server (Former Employee), Vicksburg, MSFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: fun job
Cons: night shift
I enjoyed serving beverages to our customers. I met a lot of people from all walks of life. I enjoyed the entertainment and the fun of working with my co-workers.
Customer service oriented, fast paced environment
Casino Operations Technical Manager (Former Employee), Council Bluffs, IAFebruary 10, 2015
I am thankful for the opportunities I received to develop more leadership skills. I was able to be lead some large scale projects that required coordination with other departments and outside vendors. I learned a lot about the importance of establishing clear expectations for teams and communication.
great starting casino
Banker (Current Employee), Jackpot, NVJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: cheap lunches for staff / great benefits
Cons: long drive to work
this is a great place to learn a carrier in a casino then move up to a bigger one.. its a great place to work staff are all friendly but te turn over rate is high most people get the experiance and then move to vegas or bigger casino
Its fun to make someone bad day into a great day love meeting new people everyday
Server/Bartender/Trainer (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 25, 2015
In the beginning this place was great and fun it change hand three times since I been there I learn a lot in taking care of customers needs my co-workers were great to work with management some are great some of them favoritism was a big issue the hardest part of this job was I watch my fellow team members that we been there more than 10 yrs were getting rig off one by one and you go there everyday nervous when was your turn ex boss admitted they were trying to get rid of full time people been there long they can hire new ones less money that was the stress part of time there the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and its a place you feel like you self employee the harder you work the more you make the more customers who loves to come in and ask for you and that was the fun part I I miss lots of friends I made there during 14 yrs of service for a new management to come in and thinks youre not good enough
Enjoyable place to work
Engineer II /Maintenance (Former Employee), Kansas City Mo.January 21, 2015
Pros: work experience
Cons: short staffed for the amount of work
Working in the hotel environment, Very fast pace. Helping guest was rewarding. Very challenging to keep up with request and maintenance issues. Short staffed Most difficult part was getting called of a project to do service calls, then pick up where you left off. Meeting new people was the best part of the job.
Fun workplace
Poker room cashier (Former Employee), blackhawk, coJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: commute
It's a casino, who doesn't have fun there?! Learning new games at the casino, helping customers with their needs.
Fun and exciting place to work with many opportunities to advance
Slot Service Specialist (Current Employee), East ChicagoJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: free lunch among other suprise benefits
Cons: the guests can be a bit rude at times
I would strongly recommend this job to anyone. The culture is great. They give you many opportunities to advance to higher positions or change departments. They have on-the-job training. The job overall is fairly easy to perform. Everyone is a team player and is eager to help if you were to ever have any questions. The job has decent pay and some very good benefits. This was one of my favorite jobs I've had the pleasure of working.
Fast paced and fun
GSA - Coaching Partner (Current Employee), Black Hawk, CODecember 29, 2014
Pros: great people, management willing to teach me anything i want to learn
Cons: no holiday pay. long commute.
On a normal day we have about 250-400 arrivals and take over 500 calls in our call center. I either work the front desk checking guests in and out, dealing with minor billing issues or service related issues, or I work in the call center, taking calls that could be making a reservation, editing/canceling a reservation, or dealing with more complex billing related issues.
My co-workers are very supportive and helpful.
The hardest part of my job is the commute during winter conditions.
The most enjoyable part of my job is multi-tasking. When I'm in the call center I tend to get extra side work, auditing reports for example. I also build reservations from our partner sites while taking calls. It gets very exciting.
Fast-paced gaming environment
Risk & Safety Manager (Former Employee), Vicksburg, MSDecember 29, 2014
Pros: fun place to work
Cons: no work life balance
Operates in a 24/7 environment. An exciting place to work but can be very demanding.
Uplifting and fun place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee), Blackhawk, ColoradoDecember 22, 2014
A typical day at Ameristar Casino, as a security officer, included checking in and out a large amount of money for the table games. It also included escorting individuals out of the casino when they had to much to drink, walking the floor to ensure there were no underage individuals gambling, and confronting them if they were. Learning every aspect of the position was enjoyable, including dispatching, and some management roles when needed, such as report writing. Some days the position required being the first person on the scene of a medical emergency and the ability to stay calm in every situation. This position was enjoyable because of the constant change of duties for the day, however similar enough to learn them all over time.
Great place to work.
Table Games Dealer (Current Employee), Saint Charles, MODecember 19, 2014
Pros: great people, family atmosphere
Cons: part time health coverage is a no-go.
Fantastic Crew, great people, very organized. A lot of fun to learn the games, though you do start to get bored after a while. Management is fantastic, they are very willing to work with you. The people that you work with make it easy to be there, and it's a very caring place. It feels like a big family.

The hardest part of the job is the consistent negativity from the guests. I understand that it sucks to lose money, but some people can be flat out mean!

Overall, I wouldn't trade in my experience for anything.
Enjoyable, nice environment, enjoyed meeting people.
Buffet Bus Person (Former Employee), East Chicago, INDecember 15, 2014
Pros: free lunches, meeting people
Cons: the fast paced and overwhelming days
In this job I worked as sort of a waiter, but did not take any orders. The restaurant was buffet style and I was mostly responsible for cleaning tables and making sure the guests had their silverware, drinks and were very comfortable.
I enjoyed this job because of the variety of people that I met. Because it was located in the casino, the environment was fast paced and could get overwhelming sometimes, especially during the holidays.
Good Work Environment
Housekeeping- Service rooms, Guest attendant (Former Employee), Saint Charles, MODecember 9, 2014
I Enjoyed Working At The Ameristar, I Like To Clean So That Really Helped Me A Lot With That. It Was A Fun Yet Stable Workplace. A Typical Day For Me Was Steady And Easy. I Learned Different Techniques To Clean, My Coworkers Were Really Fun To Work With, And Easy To Get Along With. The Hardest Part Of My Job Was Cleaning Other People Sections, And The Most Enjoyable Part Was Seeing That Wonderful Smile On The Guest Face When They Walked Into A Nice Clean Room.
Fun Place to Work
Guest Service Agent / Coaching Partner (Current Employee), Saint Charles, MONovember 28, 2014
Ameristar is a fun place to work at. Everyone is extremely nice. It is easy to move up in the company or transfer to a different position. The management is caring and fair. Overall, a great place to work at. It can be stressful dealing with difficult guest but we learn how to handle difficult situations.

1 2 3 4 5

About Ameristar Casinos, Inc.

When you wish upon Ameristar, you can hit the jackpot on land or on boat. Ameristar Casinos owns six casino hotels and two casinos. – Read more

Ameristar Casinos, Inc. Photos