Ames True Temper Employee Reviews

Too much work for too little pay
Painter (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAApril 6, 2014
This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. They start you off at $10.50 a hour. After 2 months you earn $11.50 a hour. A man that has been there for 9 years earns $11.97 a hour. Seriously?!? How can anybody say with a straight face that this is a good paying job. I have to do so much work, Im lucky to be able to drink water twice a day, and that is a true fact. Between 1400-2000 shovels in 7 & 1/2 hours is the amount of work you will be expected to do. Your lunch is paid, which is nice, except for your not allowed to leave the property, so forget about going to get something at lunch. Plus if you smoke, prepare yourself to go 8 hours without a smoke. Management does not care about you, its their way or the highway, even though some of the things they do goes completely against common sense. Most places try to work smarter, not harder. This place thinks the exact opposite way. They will not listen to your ideas, because their pride wont allow them to see through a foolish way of doing things and the awful pay is the reason this company has a huge turnover rate. No one and I repeat no one in this company in 2014 should make under $14 per hour. Period. If you think differently, then I feel bad for your self esteem.
Pros
hmm...well...i guess a paid lunch is nice
Cons
low pay, management with too much pride, out dated machines that break down all the time
Physical labor, great benefits, friendly employees, but dangerous
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PASeptember 4, 2012
Ames True Temper was a good place to work if you don't mind the physical labor. The work week was 5 8-hour days and guaranteed 40 hours a week; occasional overtime. The benefits offered through True Temper were very accommodating and fair. Mostly everyone who I managed to meet while working there was friendly, even if it didn't appear that way on the outside. Depending on what job you may be doing on a certain day, the work varied in danger levels. It is a warehouse environment with many forklifts operating on the floor, as well as heavy hydraulic machines constantly in operation. It can also be very loud, but ear protection is required so that isn't really an issue. As long as you follow the safety guidelines and keep alert at all times, it is fairly easy to avoid serious injury.
Pros
great benefits, coworkers, hours, and supervisors
Cons
can be dangerous
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PAMarch 26, 2014
Despite what everyone else on here is saying, it is an awesome job. You can really tell that the people that are complaining about the work are the ones who come in and mess around the entire shift. If you come in and do your job the right way then it's really not that hard, most nights people surpass 100% production rate if they run the machines and assemble the product as they were trained. The only downside is the short lunches, but can't really complain there because the lunches are paid! Management may have their panties in a bunch some nights, but they are dealing with employees that complain all day and night and don't want to work. If you are a hard worker and really have value in looking back at the night and seeing what you accomplished, this job is perfect for you.
Pros
easy fast paced work, great co workers
Cons
none that come to mind
An enjoyable place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJune 5, 2015
Fast pace office. Screened calls for CEO/President, CFO and Vice President, Operations. Made travel arrangements, interacted with Board of Directors, copy and distributed monthly financial package. Management kept and open line of communication. I made many great friends at Ames True Temper and am still friends with several. The most difficult part of my job was keeping track of my boss as he was so busy that he would just walk out of his office and forget to tell me where he was going. The most enjoyable part of my job was doing the powerpoint presentations for meetings.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No scheduled breaks except for lunch
productive high energy work enviorment.
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAApril 15, 2015
During my time at Ames True Temper, I had the opprotuntiy to meet people from all walks of life, I was able to learn new skills that I had not been familiar with before. I was pleased with management and my co-workers, almost everyone worked well together and was treated fairly. I had a great experience with human resources they were always helpful. the most difficult part of working at Ames True Temper was the physical work at that fast pace for that length of time. But not long following I got the hang of it. Most enjoyable part of this job was me entertaining co-workers!
Be careful
Forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 15, 2012
Compared to what's out there it's a job to pay the bills. However, management is very disorganized yet demanding, employs intimidation and outright deception and requests employees to compromise one another on a regular basis. There is little if no opportunity for advance. High turn over rate regardless tenure or spotless record and will find ways to terminate employees should they dare speak up. The best if not only policy while working here is to do the job, agree to whatever and try to stay under the radar.
Pros
vacation time (2 weeks)
Cons
difficult to relate to or please management. no lasting job security
Hard Work- No Reward
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 27, 2012
You'll put in a hard day here, which is fine and to be expected. But do not anticipate advancement, appreciation, loyalty nor should you in any way be led to believe in their 'open door policy.' This is a ruse to weed out those whose ideas or observations might conflict with management's often awkward structuring. In short, just do your best and stay under the radar, even if requested to suggestion.
Pros
two weeks vacation, although this will be burned up during slow season (june thru november)
Cons
heavy handed management. lack of mangerial / departmental communication.
Good paying high paced distribution center.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PAJune 25, 2013
Functioned as team leader while coordinating with a production team of roughly 150 people in a fast-paced environment.
Tracked inventory, attendance, quality control, and safety data while managing troubleshooting issues with team members.
Exceeded established production quotas and safety goals while maintaining: implementation of process improvement, creation of training tools and procedures, associate processes, team building, and safety certifications.
Operations Assistant, Carlisle, PA (former employee)
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PAFebruary 16, 2014
Try to avoid this company!!!!! Favoritism rules the air... The seniors still stuck in the 20th century will do anything to make you unwelcome. Unless your tolerance level is thru the roof, please stay away from this company. The drama and junior high will enter you life at the speed of sound.
Pros
good job security and wages
Cons
slim chances for advancement, bad culture of the office, management not willing to listen or make positive changes, understaffed in the busy season
face pace work enviornment
Warehouse employee (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAJuly 22, 2014
making lawn tools and putting them in boxes for storage or shipment I learned how to build lawn tools from scratch and also was a good experience to learn something out of my league you really didn't interact with nobody because it was a job were u work by yourself hardest part was when I first started out trying to get use to the fast pace but then the job was so enjoyable once you learned to do it correct
Pros
good pay
Very nice place to work
IT Intern (deskside technician) (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAMay 5, 2012
Check the ticket system for anything that was given to me.
Check in the back up tapes returning to site.
Work on projects I was assigned to.

The management was very easy to work with and helpful on projects.

Hardest part of the job was allof the walking. No elevator and the building layour took a while to understand.

I enjoyed all parts of this job
Pros
very polite staff, and comfortable place to work
fast pace working environment, pleasant experience
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAMay 29, 2012
This was a pretty tough job. Learned alot about press machines and assembly line work. Also learned to drive forklift. The c0-workers were all great individuals. Hardest part of the job was getting caught up on a machine that was backed up with product.The most enjoable part of the job was driving forklift.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
the management was not so great.
productive
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAOctober 13, 2014
- typical day at work was going to my station and getting everything organized to make garden tools
- management sucked... the day i started the manager introduced himself and showed me where i was going to be working.... that was it. he didn't say anything else to me until 2 days later when we had a meeting.
- i learned that team work is absolutely everything
Pros
helpful co-workers
Cons
management wasnt the best
Overall Ames True temper is a good place to work. They are a growth oriented company always looking for bright employees to join their team.
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 14, 2013
ATT was a great stepping stone in my business career. They gave me the opportunity to grow my overall business knowledge in the retail world. They offer competitive salaries and are highly respected in the industry.
Assemble Garden Tools
Manufacturing Assembler (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PANovember 13, 2013
Typical day at work my team and I make anywhere from 1200 to 2500 shovels a day. Employees learn how to make the garden tools and machines to make the tool. Along with how to fix the machines we use.
Pros
job stability
Cons
one 30 minute lunch break, mandatory overtime, sometimes have to work 7 days a week, minimal advancement, dangerous
Hard work
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 7, 2012
This job allows opportunties to learn new task as the need becomes available. This is very hard work in a fast paced enviroment. Job security is not much since this is a competitive manufacturing job. Management is easy to get along with but complain as much as the workers do.
Pros
learning, constant moving
Cons
no real job security, high risk for injuries
very stressful place to work
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJanuary 30, 2014
the management has just bit by bit taken every thing that was for the employee away. the only thing they care about is that all products are run no matter how little employees they have and that puts stress on a lot of people
Pros
insuurance
Cons
the management does not care about the operators the way they should
Work shack
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lewistown, PAJune 25, 2013
You come in and put your time cards. You then go see what cell your assigned to for your shift. Replenish what you need for the job and begin to assemble shovels, or rakes. You get 1 10 min brake, 1 20 minute lunch and then work till your shift is over. There was no time to converse with others. It is very hot in the building.
Cons
short breaks and short lunch
Fun place to work, Nice coworkers
Assembly Operator (Former Employee) –  Lewistown, PAJanuary 25, 2014
I learned to make shovels, it was a fast past enviroment I got along with the co workers. The hardest part of the job wasn't really to hard after i was there and learned the ropes but at first the hardest part was keeping the fast paste. The people and and working period.
Pros
the pay
Cons
short breaks
very fun and productive
Warehouse picking and packing tools (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 24, 2015
fun what i learned how to drive a forklift management was a very nice guy and my co-workers very good people the hardest part of the job was how to make orders and the most enjoyable part of the job was learned how to use the forklift
Pros
the i work 4 days for 10 hours