AMF

AMF Employer Reviews

Very entertaining
Program Director/Shift Leader (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VANovember 26, 2014
It was a very entertaining job. Loved the people, loved the atmosphere, and loved the people I worked with. The hours were long but the job was very fulfilling. My family loved that they could come to work and see me plus have fun their selves. This is a job I would consider going back to in the future.
Goldman Sachs AMF was very different
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Fairfield, CTOctober 9, 2014
Pros: ability to move up in the company
Cons: low pay
During my time at AMF, Goldman Sachs owned the company. I started as an assistant going out to solicit businesses for corporate parties. After a few months, I became a front desk employee. After 6 months, I was offered Assistant Manager position. This position allowed me to learn and grow. I stepped down from the position when summer began, and I was – more... ask to work seven days a week without a pay raise. – less
Disorganization
FOOD AND BEVERAGE DIRECTOR/ OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: horrible upper management
Hours sucked. Upper management did not support you unless only to back stab you.
Food and Beverage Manager (Former Employee), Durham, NCSeptember 13, 2014
Greqt place to work, fun environment, but the pay is minimum wage
normal day of work
Desk Clerk - Part Time (Former Employee), Woodside, NYSeptember 11, 2014
If you don't mind standing then its good for you because you do stand alot.but, its a good starting job.
Busy, exciting workplace
Bar Tender (Former Employee), Brooklyn Center, MNSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: meeting all kinds of different people.
Cons: compensation was low
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people every shift.
Outstanding work place
Manager -Compensation & Benefits (Former Employee), White Plains, NYJuly 22, 2014
Excellent opportunity to show-case my skills,and be rewarded through salary increases and promotions. I started as a trainee, and ended up as a director when AMF was acquired and all staff were terminated.
Don't work here!!
Shift Leader (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALFebruary 10, 2014
Cons: poor pay, no future planning, and poor management
Company run by bowlers with little to no business understanding! Very political atmosphere and it's rather you are in or out.
productive.all work
Dump Truck Driver (Former Employee), Port Arthur, TXDecember 11, 2013
Pros: constant work in summer time
Cons: work slow in winter time....
inspecting trucks in the morning before leaving out fueling then driving to the loading dock getting loaded then prepare truck with the tarp and drive to delivery spot unload and repeat process several times a day. just plane hard work which i enjoy to do
Fun place to work
Facility Manager (Former Employee), Midland, TXNovember 4, 2013
A typical day at work starts with getting a call sheet from the day before and correct issues from the day before. Then with that done you would work on preventive maintenance on the machine and fix any building issues that arise.
clean high paced enviroment
beverage server (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 28, 2013
Pros: hour lunch, friendly cowokers
Working for AMF was a fun and loving place.A typical day there would be to make sure all the bowling balls were put in the correct slot holder, cleaning tables, answering phone calls.
Working.
Server (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 17, 2013
I would take and serve orders to the customers. I learned a majority of the skills working at my jobs. the management is okay. my co-workers are there to do their jobs
It used to be great
Former rockstar manager (Former Employee), United StatesSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: paid vacation, 401k, bonuses
Cons: upper management didn't listen to our ideas that really mattered
AMF has filed for bankruptcy twice in 9 years. They failed to focus on growing revenue. Our product was bowling. We sold fun-well we sold bowling, food, and alcohol. Our company devalued our product by giving away too much free bowling. Everyone loves free stuff, I admit that. But when you constantly discount or give away free stuff, you bring out the – more... really cheap people who tear up the place and create problems. We then went to jacking up the prices so that we really upset a lot of our long term dedicated league bowlers. We were all told to "run our business" yet every time upper management came in they gave me NO choice to run with my ideas.

The benefits and perks were pretty good. Plenty of paid time off, discounted bowling, free sodas, food discounts, 401k, etc.

The room for advancement is all too much tied into who you know. Upper management would put out too many initiatives. Each day we had too many items to focus on, and a lot of it was pennies in the big picture.

It was great working with people who came in to have fun. That's what bowling is. AMF used to stand for "Always Means Fun" but that definitely was not the case.

Most employees are paid minimum wage or slightly above. You're not going to find a hard working dedicated worker who wants to stay with the company long term for such low wages and such high expectations. We were directed to move away from hiring those under 18 years of age. High school employees are often looking for a job, and sure it might be their first ever job, but if trained properly they can and will often stick around. Not every teen works out but a lot often do with the right training and direction.

I learned a lot from this company, both good and bad. Ultimately this company was headed into a new direction that I personally did not like. They wanted us to get rid of long term employees who knew the league business and wanted us to start from scratch. Firing a dedicated employee of nearly 30 years who worked very hard every day is not something that I was going to do. He didn't have the "look." He wasn't "attractive" and he was "overweight." Wow. We're not models, but apparently that's what we were looking for. At least upper management wouldn't put that into writing. – less
great place
Line Cook (Current Employee), San Jose, CASeptember 5, 2013
Pros: free bowling
Cons: expensive
learn how to prepare different type of foods. fast pace environment. co workers are great people to work with
Lot of stress on staff
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 25, 2013
Pros: good benefits for management
Cons: work a lot of nights, weekends and all holidays.
Does not leave l lot of opportunity for quality of life. Work all holidays. Mandatory overtime for assistants managers.
Front Desk (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJuly 9, 2013
Pros: great atmosphere, average prices, there's a bar!
Cons: no tattoos allowed to be visible at work!
Pay was amazing for the work you are required to do. Coworkers were awesome to work with and had great teamwork skills. The hardest part of this job, if you're new to the position, is the day shift receptionist. They will have you do receptionist, phone, snack bar, bar and tend to the lanes (pin in lane or need for bumpers). Can be a lot to handle for – more... someone who is not trained properly. – less
great if you like bowling
Asst. General Manager (Current Employee), Kenner, LAJune 11, 2013
ok place to work
long over night hours
and a lot of handling the bowlers
AMF Bowling Center
Food and Beverage Attendant (Former Employee), Aurora, COMay 10, 2013
I worked as a food and beverage attendant/cook at AMF. It was not a very plesant experience. The manager was not very flexible with my schedule. However my co-workers were very great and I enjoyed working with them.
Bowling ally
Desk Attendant, Cook, Bartender (Former Employee), Ocala, FLMarch 6, 2013
Pros: meeting new people, and learning the league bowlers.
Cons: being told to scrub the floors on your hands and knees.
Worked at the front desk and snack bar helping customer in any way possible getting their lane assignments, ringing them up at the cash register, preparing their food and getting them beverages and helping them with any of their other needs.
Great place for being a Corporate company!
Head Bartender (Former Employee), Lewisville, TXJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: great benefits, fun to work with staff!
Cons: distance from my house!
Felt like a mom-pop place, but a corporate structure.
I stocked, cleaned, inventory for the bar.
As a server I would handle all the guests' needs. Created quite a following and people loved coming to say hello and get their next drinks from me. Management was great to work with and worked with my needs as well. I would fill in other positions when needed. – more... I enjoyed every day working there. – less

1 2 3