Amgen Employee Reviews

Innovative, fun, worthwhile work
Administrative Coordinator/Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 11, 2016
I was blessed to work at Amgen's Washington sites. The group of people there, not only in my group/department, but across all functions at the site were the best of the best. Everyone was dedicated to the mission. My immediate manager was truly someone unique and special to work for. She absolutely made sure that her reports had a strong work/life balance (even if she didn't adhere to that for herself). My immediate group of co-workers is what I loved the most and what I miss the most now that AWA has been closed down.
Pros
Terrific benefits, great compensation
Cons
Uncertainty since 2007, never knew when the next outsourcing or lay-offs would occur
Good Corporate style company
Procurement Analyst / Sr Sourcing Associate (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAMarch 14, 2016
I worked and analyst and it is a great place to work in with many benefits and perks to the employees. Very corporate goal oriented and offer training and education to their employees.
Pros
Benefits offered at workplace and perks
Cons
Grand projects driven and unexpected layoffs and outsourcing
Great people, great science, constant reorgs
Sr. Associate Scientist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 17, 2016
Amgen is a fast paced place to work. Being at the cutting edge of science is extraordinary with access to many gifted minds and resources. What detracted from the work at hand was the constant re-organizations and shuffling of teams.
Pros
great people, fantastic resources, great benefits package
Cons
lack of decision making, constant change for the sake of change
Great Company
Senior Manager Supplier Quality Management (Current Employee) –  Municipio de Juncos, PRMarch 2, 2016
Great Company, good benefits, excellent work life balance. The patient is first and it is a science based company for decision making.
Excellent Company
Senior Biopharmaceutical Representative (Current Employee) –  Washington DC NorthFebruary 2, 2016
This is an amazing company to work for - the work/life balance is spot on, the benefits are without peer, and the products are well supported and enthusiastically received by the customers.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Juncos, PRFebruary 16, 2016
Quality and safety oriented. Team work oriented. Good benefits package. Very organized preventive and maintenance program.
Good hands on the job training.
A very demanding workplace where you can grow and acquire diverse experiences
Senior Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  PRSeptember 23, 2015
A very demanding workplace where you can grow and acquire diverse experiences. Very complex and regulated as expected for the biggest biotechnology company of he world. Compensation and benefits are very good. I enjoyed very much working with my peers, teaching, and learning from them. There's a good opportunity for professional growth and to work in many challenging projects.
Pros
Performance Bonus, Shares, Parties
Cons
poor work life balance
Amgen in the business of making the executives wealthy, not serving the patients
Project manager (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAOctober 8, 2015
Select your friends wisely. Choose the principal scientists and executive to protect your back. Be their own eyes in the departments and report every little details about your coworkers. You know they need you specially with few of them have no knowledge of science to begin with
Pros
benefits, 14 days additional vacation and gym
Cons
the whole culture of a big corporate. unstable, in two years 3000 FTEs laid off
Decent benefits but very political
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CASeptember 25, 2016
The culture at Amgen is very competitive, with favoritism shown to those who buddy up to management. Individuals who do well in office politics are given more opportunity for advancement than those who master their jobs, particularly in the scientific roles. Medical benefits are above average, as are savings plans for retirement. Many layoffs have occurred over the last ten years, with staff being replaced by contractors. Some benefits have declined in recent years, such as tuition reimbursement, which went from 100% to a flat $5K per year. Child day care is available but is very expensive. Cost-cutting since the 2008 economic crisis has negatively impacted the working environment and the company culture.
Pros
Medical benefits are above average
Cons
Competitive, sometimes cut-throat culture
Don't believe the hype
Category Manager - Global Technology (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJuly 14, 2016
Amgen worker productivity seems to be diminished, and its culture appears to be conditioned by constant large-scale initiatives driven top-down. Teams' ability to execute is impacted by a culture of job-protectiveness, and even excellent and essential ideas are delayed for years waiting for various reorganizations. In a nutshell, Amgen does not foster ideation, invention, creativity; further, the company seems to reward passive-aggressive behavior.

Amgen's headquarters are isolated in Ventura County, CA, and while the benefits are great, I do not recommend relocating simply for Amgen. It frequently pays relocation benefits to new hires, but moving here could geographically block enriching opportunities from coming to you.
Pros
Good benefits, lovely campus, cheap cafeteria
Cons
Culture and ability to execute

Want to know more about Amgen?

Ask a question
Dynamic environment, learning opportunities, professional growth
Sr. Specialist Production Planner (Former Employee) –  Juncos, PRSeptember 11, 2015
Very dynamic environment since have a lot of new product introductions. It is very challenging to manage the amount of changes required but yet rewarding. A lot of learning and professional growth opportunities related to the new product introductions and the launches to new markets.
Pros
Good benefits (medical plan, vacations, compensation, etc.)
Cons
Hard to keep work/life balance
Great benefits, but Senior Mgmt lacking vision
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 16, 2015
Benefits were great. Generous vacation time plus Christmas and 4th of July week off.Senior Management seemed to be lacking vision for the future, but nice, bright and respectful employees and a good work environment overall.
Micro managed company at it's worst.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAJune 13, 2016
Contracted in the Woburn, MA facility for two nightmarish months. I was told they had an open ear and welcome new ideas. Not even close. The safety dbag watched over everything you did just to tell you to do it different. Hardcore FDA regulated. Employees are told to fill out reports and "dime-drop" on others if they see you do something wrong. You'll be better off joining the army. It's run just like that. Big turnover and a lot of firings. Stay far away from this asylum.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Close minded management. Micro managed environment.
Great place to build a career. Diverse opportunities for growth.
Associate Director - Oncology (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CASeptember 9, 2015
Great place to work for 10 years. Exciting opportunities for growth. I enjoyed working with smart, creative, hard working teams. The company recognized talent and rewarded with special stock grants award trips and promotions as appropriate.
Pros
Great benefits, healthcare
Cons
Long work days, lots of travel
Disorganized launch
Senior Biopharmaceutical Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAApril 10, 2016
Disappointing launch of Corlanor. Fortunate enough to do well with the products however, the way leadership treated my counterparts who were not so fortunate with Corlanor after the messy launch is shameful. Not a place I would encourage for the faint of heart. Dog eat dog culture. The launch of Repatha was even worse and they should have this specialty pharmacy game down to a science since they are not new to the biologics game. Work life balance is non existent if you do not want to be on a list for not making your weekly numbers. I am fortunate enough to have a great manager, however, nationally, my counterparts are miserable and get harassed every day regarding their numbers. Our team is frightened of what will happen when our manager gets promoted and we get the tried and true Amgen manager that runs their teams on fear and intimidation.
Pros
great company car. two week shut down.
Cons
disorganized launch into cardiovascular universe. dog eat dog culture.
Mainly field work in private and governmental hospitals visiting oncologists in the UAE
Professional Medical Representative (UAE) (Former Employee) –  United StatesApril 8, 2016
A typical day at work is to arrange appointments with oncologists and visit them for me to disseminate medical knowledge , clinical trials and new updates.
I learned to be able to do segmentation , targeting and positioning
I learned to be able to handle the physicians objections
I learned to conduct medical presentations and time management
we all work as a part of a team all my co-workers are co-operative and motivational
the hardest part of the job is to actualy be able to set up an appointment with the oncology physician due to his tight schedule and responsibilities
the most enjoyable part is communicating with different people from nurses to pharmacy technicians , pharmacists, purchasers and physician in different hospital settings
Pros
Flexible working hours, cycle meetings, travelling and rewarding salary
Cons
managing appointments with key opinion leaders of the oncologists
Diverse and unlimited learning
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJune 3, 2016
The day starts with heavy calendar, email and mailbox maintenance and cross functional interactions and wearing many hats throughout the day. Learning management system allowednfor unlimited and frequent task and role educationnfor growth. Teamwork and cross functional interaction was a plus.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Hourlymand needing to work overtime due to heavy periods of workload without ability
I owe everything in my career to my opportunity at Amgen
Cell Culture, Pilot Plant Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  Newbury Park, CAMarch 1, 2016
I came into Amgen with nothing but an Associates degree, worked as a temporary employee, learned Fermentation, Purification, and Cell Culture processes from beginning to the end. I learned the ins and outs of the entire process. I got into the process development department and really excelled from that point forward. Working with top of the field engineers and scientist really boosted my knowledge and skill set.
Pros
Cons
Too many layoffs
Good place to work at if you are a regular
Quality Associate (Former Employee) –  Juncos, Puerto RicoAugust 12, 2015
It's a great place to work if you are a regular and they have great benefits. Temps don't get treated as well though. The shifts are crazy and the constant switching makes organizing your life difficult. Management tends to either micromanage or not be aware of anything at all. Could use better leaders in that regard.
Outstanding Company
Manager Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COJanuary 18, 2015
I was a production manager for the cell culture group, managing and performing operations in a cGMP clean room environment at their EPO plant. I learned valuable skills in teamwork, science-based/fact-based decision-making, leadership, the CHO manufacturing process including scale-up/fermentation, and the value of hard work and determination. My co-workers exemplified the values that the company strives for, and were an all-around talented group of people. The most difficult part of the job was the long hours and off-shift work at times, but personal preference was frequently awarded and always considered. The best part of the job is hard to narrow down: the people, the company benefits, and the intrinsically rewarding work, were all at the top of the list.
Pros
top-shelf benefits, outstanding pay, performance-driven managers, rewarding career
Cons
off-hours work at times