Amherst College Employee Reviews

great people, changing role and expectations
Resident Counselor (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAApril 9, 2017
fellow staff members are fantastic, but the overall department is in constant flux from personnel to job titles and job exceptions, which can lead to confusion and chaos
Light hearted, comfortable job.
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAApril 4, 2017
You typically come to the lower floor of the technology building to work your shift, either taking phone calls, handling tickets, solving hardware problems for people who have left their laptops in your care, provide software or small hardwares to those who require them, or any other miscellaneous information technology activity. I learned how to calm stressed phone callers by expressing genuine enthusiasm regarding their concerns. The management was more like senior specialists who handled jobs you didn't know how to handle, and the workplace in general was relaxed and trusting of your ability to do your job. The hardest part of the job was the disappointment I felt upon not successfully helping a caller I'd been trying to help for a good while, due to the call dropping or just an elusive problem. The best part of the job would be the hilarious shift reports left by other IT specialists.
Pros
Flexible hours, competent laid back management.
Cons
Snowy weather.
Great place!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 27, 2017
Great place and great benefits. Opportunities to advance. Benefits include 401k, discounted meal, access to gym. Summer hours are convenient.
Great Place
Events Manager (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 12, 2017
Amherst is a great place for student employment, I've been working there most of my time as a student. All the jobs I've had at the college have taught me a great deal. It's a great place for professors too.
Friendly Enviroment
Pre-Health Mentor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MASeptember 26, 2016
Great balance of being a student as well as working for the school. School has a variety of available jobs students can work at. All the supervisors are very understanding of the students schedules.
Great learning environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MASeptember 1, 2016
Teachers care about their students and make sure to foster a wonderful environment in which to learn. Research is secondary to teaching, though research labs are used to teach students the basics of academic research.
Was a decent job.
Junior System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MADecember 6, 2015
Day to day operations where slow due to everything being automated. It was more a wait for something to break job.Other than that a relaxed environment.
Productive and challenging work place
Receptionist/ Health Professions Secretary (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 1, 2015
My role as a Biology Technician included working independently and as a team member. Communication skills expanded to include a broad spectrum of individuals and companies who I worked closely with to support the functions of the research and teaching labs. There was tremendous opportunity to develop lab methods, and administrative skills to increase productivity and accountability. I was encouraged to expand my knowledge of the confocal microscope so much so that I became the facility manager.
Pros
Great lunches and a beautiful campus and buildings
Lots of staff turnover.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 10, 2014
Since Amherst College doesn't have a union, job security depends on what kind of boss you have.
Pros
Good benefits for this area.
Struggling to stay current
IT (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 5, 2014
Group is struggling to keep with run-the-business activities as they are constantly in react mode.
Pros
Beautiful campus.
Cons
Difficult political structure.
Intern Experience
Intern - Beneski Museum of Natural History (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 2, 2014
• Reported to the Museum Educator
• Revise/created a 3rd – 5th grade Study Guide ://www.amherst.edu/museums/naturalhistory/fieldguides
• Created an Information Sheet to be used by instructors to preparing students for their visit to the museum
• Set up and ran Children’s Activities Tent at outdoor special event for the community
• Filled in as Museum Monitor at main desk. Greeted visitors, answered phone, answered questions, handed out information, etc.
Pros
Excellent experience/museum, In my field of study
Cons
No position available - hire students only
Fast paced, challenging, and sometimes fun work enviroment.
Plumber (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAJuly 12, 2013
In my opinion, Amherst College was a fair and great opportunity for myself.

I would show up at 7 am every weekday and complete work orders as assigned. Also, respond to emergencies via radios promptly.

Although I was a plumber, I was more than happy to help out fellow employees with anything from electrical to masonry. Which they were very grateful and thankful which they would relay to either me or my supervisor, and sometimes both.

If I had to choose the most difficult part of the job. I, like most of the employees there would most likely agree with me on is, Learning all the buildings, names and locations. I was able to retain all of these very quickly.

Great Experience
Dining Server (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MADecember 25, 2012
Good people, good times, good team work. Never had a bad moment moment. Always look forward to go into work and interact with professors, students and faculty. A great way to interact and network.
excellent work place
second cook-catering (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAOctober 14, 2012
management is outstanding.long hours but fully worth it in long run.very professional establishment.