Amherst College Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and challenging work place
Receptionist/ Health Professions Secretary (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 1, 2015
My role as a Biology Technician included working independently and as a team member. Communication skills expanded to include a broad spectrum of individuals and companies who I worked closely with to support the functions of the research and teaching labs. There was tremendous opportunity to develop lab methods, and administrative skills to increase productivity and accountability. I was encouraged to expand my knowledge of the confocal microscope so much so that I became the facility manager.
Pros
great lunches and a beautiful campus and buildings
Intern Experience
Intern - Beneski Museum of Natural History (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 2, 2014
• Reported to the Museum Educator
• Revise/created a 3rd – 5th grade Study Guide ://www.amherst.edu/museums/naturalhistory/fieldguides
• Created an Information Sheet to be used by instructors to preparing students for their visit to the museum
• Set up and ran Children’s Activities Tent at outdoor special event for the community
• Filled in as Museum Monitor at main desk. Greeted visitors, answered phone, answered questions, handed out information, etc.
Pros
excellent experience/museum, in my field of study
Cons
no position available - hire students only
Fast paced, challenging, and sometimes fun work enviroment.
Plumber (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAJuly 12, 2013
In my opinion, Amherst College was a fair and great opportunity for myself.

I would show up at 7 am every weekday and complete work orders as assigned. Also, respond to emergencies via radios promptly.

Although I was a plumber, I was more than happy to help out fellow employees with anything from electrical to masonry. Which they were very grateful and thankful which they would relay to either me or my supervisor, and sometimes both.

If I had to choose the most difficult part of the job. I, like most of the employees there would most likely agree with me on is, Learning all the buildings, names and locations. I was able to retain all of these very quickly.
Great Experience
Dining Server (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MADecember 25, 2012
Good people, good times, good team work. Never had a bad moment moment. Always look forward to go into work and interact with professors, students and faculty. A great way to interact and network.
Lots of staff turnover.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 10, 2014
Since Amherst College doesn't have a union, job security depends on what kind of boss you have.
Pros
good benefits for this area.
Struggling to stay current
IT (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 5, 2014
Group is struggling to keep with run-the-business activities as they are constantly in react mode.
Pros
beautiful campus.
Cons
difficult political structure.
excellent work place
second cook-catering (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAOctober 14, 2012
management is outstanding.long hours but fully worth it in long run.very professional establishment.