Amica Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Fast paced and Stressfull at times
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COSeptember 20, 2017
A typical day at work was answering calls from insureds or claimants that were in an automobile accident and had damage to their vehicle or property. We would have to set up the claims and be understanding and empathetic to their needs and wants. The hardest part of the job was when we would have to tell them that there wasn't any coverage for the claim due to lapse in coverage or because they simply didn't didn't have that kind of insurance.
Pros
you get to meet all kinds of different people
Cons
very stressfull job
Productive and Multi-tasking job
Word Processor/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTSeptember 20, 2017
Started there in Word Processing right out high school and from 1980 to 2003 worked in word processing, working my way up to supervisor. After that, they moved Word Process Dept. to our home office in Providence, so I was moved to Administrative Assistant. Very challenging; receptionist work, reports for claims manager, attendance records, maintaining records for all office machinery/computers, tech work for office systems, mail room, coordinate parties, cook-outs for office functions, etc.. very much a multi-tasking job.
Relaxed Atmosphere
National Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RISeptember 14, 2017
I work in the Service Center Operations.
There is no room for advancement.
The take young college kids who are willing to be moved around the country and cannot do the job and give them advancements instead of seasoned reps who have families and cannot moves around the country on a whim.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
No place to move up
Excellent Company with Excellent Benefits
Helpdesk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RISeptember 6, 2017
Amica is a great company to work for. They have one of the best benefits package. It's clean, friendly, and secure. The only downfall would be, depending on your department, the competitiveness and the work hours.
Pros
clean, friendly, benefits
Cons
work hours, competitiveness
Awesome place
Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairport, NYAugust 10, 2017
Great place to work. Enjoy working here the company is very supportive. We had a baby and they sent us a few gifts. Very stable job people are friendly to work with.
Provides a career with plenty of room for advancement
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXAugust 5, 2017
Having retired from this company has provided me with the choices I have today in life. This is a wonderful company to work for with excellent benefits. Enjoyed all of my co-workers and supervisors. Cannot say enough positive words regarding Amica.
Benefits
Cons
some parts of the work year are more stressful than others
Horrible stay away
Stay away (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, RIAugust 1, 2017
Horrible company , management sucks! No one knows what they are doing half the time. You get promised one thing and never happens.Employees will throw you under for recognition. They like to keep Alcoholics employed . Stay away beware !!!
Pros
Cons
Pay sucks, bosses don't know how to manage, HR employs alcoholics
Nice place to work
Sales and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 1, 2017
Amica is a nice place to work but the pay is low. They work hard to be diverse and inclusive. The people are friendly and the work is enjoyable. The only issues is outdated systems and the compensation is a bit low.
Great place
Associate Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Westborough, MAJuly 12, 2017
Its a great place to work. The people you work with every day are the best and the friendliest people. I love going to work and seeing my co-workers every day
Close knit office enviroment
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Concord, NH 03301July 1, 2017
Working here at Amica I can say that this job is a completely unique experience. The training seems a bit long on paper but it feels ridiculously short in practice. I wish the transition between training and being on a full team was a bit gentler. You have a lot of fun here and it feels really close knit (depending on what side claims or sales and client services).

The balance between work and life is actually excellent compared to other employers. my rating was more towards my experience.

The pay is not that amazing where the industry standard is the same or maybe a dollar less. The raises happen every once in a while. The benefits package is lovely.

Job security is kind of a wavy subject. You have around 6 months of training and you have a review of your progress during that time. You have to pass the licensing test (which is understandable). If you can do your job and perform with good numbers your job security will be okay. If you don't significantly increase your work volume after those 6 training months then you may run into issues. not that your job is threatened but you will feel like an ignorant fool for not knowing something. If you mess up too frequently and you have attendance problems you will feel you are on shaky ground.

At the year mark there is another employee review.

Take in mind this job is a phone job. There is no way around it. Its not 100% call center but it is still an on the phone job. Customer service burn out can happen and adding in the amount of content you have to learn it just compounds it.

As for advancement I would say it
  more... is about standard. During your 1 year review they will look at possibly promoting you. Don't expect to become a manager. The managers go through a special program ( and the program requires you have a degree) where they are reassigned every 2-3 years. Reassigned as in to a completely different state. You don't get to choose where they move you.

Management is kind. The branch manager is very friendly. The managers are friendly as well. Each one has a different style so the inconsistency there is sometime a little difficult. The divide between claims and Sales and Client services is big. There is a whole different section to what each department does. Add in the fact that there is a national call center for both sales and service separately makes it difficult. Having 4 different departments you could be dealing with is strange and I'm sure the customers feel the disconnect.

Overall the job culture is good. You feel connected to your office and your customers. This is a moderately stressful job so I would not suggest this job to someone brand new to call center / heavy customer service jobs.

This is a place where people make careers. It shouldn't be treated as just a job. Come in with a personal expectation of making this your career and you will thrive.
fun and productive
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WAJune 28, 2017
it was an excellent company to work for. the enviroment was friendly and comfortable. the only thing that was hard was the hours and the compensation for sales.
Steady Job- may not be the advancement you're looking for
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 11, 2017
This is not the job for free spirits or creative thinkers. Upper management truly does want you to be successful, but is very limited in how they feel you can achieve it. Very old school company who is facing a lot of challenges attracting the millennial generation. Coming out of college you get a lot of authority, however it takes a lot of time before you can more into an upper management position. I would say if you are someone who is task oriented and doesn't mind taking on the day to day bs of small office life- stick with the company, the benefits are awesome. I just couldn't do it.
Amica Review
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INJune 7, 2017
Great office with great people. Hours are not flexible at all, always hiring for night shift but not days.
Required to sell and sol insurance as well as service policies.
Ok job overall.
Not much room for advancement
Associate National Life Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RIMay 30, 2017
While a great company, there is not much room for growth for those looking for advancement opportunities within the company. Depending on your position, it could be a great opportunity.
Low pay, High expectations
Claims Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXMay 29, 2017
Amica offers relatively poor pay by industry standards. However, the work hours and benefits were good. Unrealistic expectations from management. They provide excellent service to customers though.
Amica Insurance
Technical Assistant-Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, RIMay 24, 2017
Amica is a great place to work. However, the pay scale is a little low. Management is wonderful and very helpful, communicates well and supports their employees fully.
Pros
great work life balance
Cons
pay rate low
Fast paced environment and a great place to work
Supervising Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, RIMay 22, 2017
Supervising claims rep, rapid environment, fast paced and never a dull moment. Working in the claims department in my opinion was the best. Work load is heavy and if you needed help you could always count on your coworkers. The pay may not be the best but well worth it due to the pension plans given to the employees. This is a burnout job but overall the best place I have ever worked! To this day I still miss working there.
Pros
Benefits, vacation and sick time, always busy, coworker are amazing
Cons
The work overload which is stressful and will burn you out
Amica review
Student Help (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, RIMay 16, 2017
Amica was a great company to work with. I was there as an intern during the summer and school year. Everyone was welcoming, kind and hard working. I would definitely recommend working at Amica.
Professional Workplace
Intern- Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RIMay 9, 2017
Amica Mutual Insurance Company is a great workplace. They are marked as best customer given to their customers. Great workplace. I had a great experience.
Too many politics
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 2, 2017
This company will rope you in (for the Adjuster or Account Manager positions) However, this is all a marketing tactic. Be mindful of what you want long-term, not just what the company thinks is best for you.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Pay is on the lower end compared to the industry. Little work life balance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amica Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.