Amica Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Amica as a positive workplace is declining
Account Representative I (Former Employee) –  Rhode Island, RIOctober 25, 2016
Job was very busy and I learned A LOT about people, sales, teamwork, and corporate life. I will say that when I started at Amica, it was a great place to work and everyone was treated fairly and benefits were great. In the past 10 years, things have changed dramatically there and their "future leaders" program - hiring younger managers right out of college, does nothing for morale in the branch offices. There are 22 year olds with very little insurance and/or life experience, telling people who have been in the workforce for 30+ years how and what to do. This creates an interesting dynamic for the people who have worked there for years and likely are not in positions to look elsewhere.
Things are changing everywhere and all in all, I really enjoyed my position, my co workers and this job in general.
Strong company culture, "Boys Club" senior leadership
Claims Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 7, 2016
Opportunities: No appetite for risk or process improvements, extremely political, poor salary compensation compared with industry (however excellent benefits), small organization leads to minimal cross-functional job opportunities. No Strategic opportunities.

Strengths: Training, co-workers, strong customer service culture and reputation, excellent benefits and relocation packages. Claims Expertise/Technical Skills.
Good Training
Associate National Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RISeptember 21, 2016
Provided thorough training and licensing. Compensation is good with salary and bonus mixed. Goals and expectations are clearly communicated. There is a minimum of two years required before looking at other internal positions
Great Job
Property & Casualty Adjuster/Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 31, 2016
Great Company to work for. Nice clients.
Hardest part was advising a client that we had to deny coverage
enjoyable part of the day was making clients happy knowing they were calling in and not happy to begin with
Pros
Nice company good benefits
Cons
not able to work remotely
Amica is not the company it used to be
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Would rather not say, currently employedAugust 22, 2016
Amica used to be an exceptional employer and a preferred risk insurer that sought and kept good business. Now it has a grow at any cost mentality that is willing to write poor business, and the front line employee experience of working for Amica has sunk to about the same level as any other garden variety insurance carrier.

Amica used to be well staffed so its employees could provide the exceptional customer service it is known for. Now Amica is jamming more and more work down it's claims employees' throats and trying to use gadgets and technology to bridge the gap. It's policy count is growing, all too often with sub par business, and the claims staffing is not keeping up.

Amica used to be run by claims background CEOs. Now it is run by an Accounting background CEO who apparently just looks at the numbers and not the big picture.

Amica has for years been ranked #1 in customer service. Those days will soon be coming to an end. 2016 may just be the year.

In the past, people stuck around for 30 years or more, even though they were eligible to retire. Now it is common to see front line people retiring after 28, 29 years and not sticking around after that. They are hanging in there and then getting out as soon as they can.

One thing has not changed, Amica is an RI based company where nepotism and buddy deals were practically invented. It sure pays to know somebody to get ahead. Nepotism abounded back in the day and it abounds now, perhaps even more so.

I am near the end of my long run as an employee and glad. It has been a good and steady ride,
  more... but I am about done. It makes me sad as it feels like a bit like a divorce, but in the end it was just a job. I did work and got I got paid. Fair enough, but try as they might to brainwash everyone with platitudes, actions speak louder than words. It is abundantly clear nowadays that Amica's employees are expendable units of production. It was not always that way, and that is too bad.  less
Pros
Good benefits, fair salary
Cons
Workload, quality of business written, rampant nepotism, employees are expendable
Good Place to Work
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEAugust 12, 2016
Good place to work that's fast paced so your day is over before you know it, great benefits, nice, supportive colleagues & comfortable environment. Sales incentives, many extras like company BBQ etc... The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers. The hardest part of the job was "not enough time to do it all"
Pros
Great Colleagues, Great Benefits, Nice & Comfortable Work Envirnoment, Customers Pleasant
Cons
Micro Managed Too Much; Call Center Atmosphere, Pay Below Area Average, Employee Turnover High, Understaffed
learned that im really not into insurance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 26, 2016
I learned that the job I thought I was going to perusing wasn't anything I had imagine beforehand. working and dealing with insurance is beyond harder than I thought.
Pros
fast learning enviornment
Cons
insurance
Great company and work enviorment, however you must dedicate a large amount of your time.
Associate Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXJuly 21, 2016
A typical day at work we involve making calls, meetings with insurers and claimants, conducting negotiations, investigating claims, and a lot of reports. I learned a lot about working with people after a traumatic loss, as well as being their source of hope and comfort at a time when they have absolutely know idea what the next step is going to be. Management for the most part is supportive, however as they rise through the ranks I believe they can lose sight of reality when it comes to the everyday job and work load. Co-workers are supportive and helpful with advice and ideas. You can always call on your co-worker if help is needed. The hardest part of my job was working with unruly insurers or claimants. They most enjoyable part is closing a claim knowing the client is happy and satisfied with the service.
Great work environment
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RIJuly 7, 2016
Company has a great work environment, values work/life balance, and fellow employees treat you very well. Technology and processes could use some improvement.
Co worker
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 5, 2016
Co workers were very friendly and genuine, they make you feel part of the team and you never felt left out, it was a happy workplace and i like the company.
Productive, fun work environment
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, RIJuly 1, 2016
Coworkers were hardworking, friendly, enjoyable individuals
Work environment is laid back and comfortable
Management is caring and listens to employees requests personally
Reasonable balance between breaks/lunches and work time
Cafeteria and vending machines available at every building
Very good pay for a summer job
Pros
long lunch, caring management, friendly people, laid back
Cons
Good place to have your first job
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, RIJune 19, 2016
More than 100 years old company. A lot of legacy habits or working. If something worked for the business for the past 50 years do you want to change it ? They don't seem to understand that best teams are those in which people feel secure enough to express their ideas (they don't need your ideas).

They almost never fire people (except for security issues, severe misconduct, etc). If a job function becomes redundant, they often try to retrain and accommodate them in another area - this is unusual for an American company in the 21st century.

They recruit people straight out of college. This may be a good place to have your first job and move on.

Low salary. Other benefits (like pension, 401k, profit sharing) and job security are expected to compensate for this - they do not if you do the math. There may be situations where one's primary consideration is a secure job.

Workplace and culture are not diverse. This is probably a reflection of where the company is based - Rhode Island - which is not very diverse.

There is very little chance of advancement unless you are in the 'pet' list of your boss, irrespective of the work you do (this is primarily due to their work culture and management style).
Pros
Secure job
Cons
Low salary, no chance of advancement, poor work culture
Huge Caseload and Very Stressful
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Raynham, MAJune 7, 2016
I was happy with my job at Amica for the first few years; however, things grew worse as time went on. Amica's philosophy seems to be to obtain as many new policyholders and the associated premiums as they can, but never hire more claims reps to handle the increased claims that are generated with all those new policyholders. You are expected to be logged into the phones ALL DAY with one half day per week of "diary" time, which is the only time you ever get to do your work uninterrupted by constant phone calls. And because you have way too many claims files to handle, you are expected to do 10 hours of work in a 7.5 hour workday. It can't be done! There are strict time constraints in place. New bookings must be done the same day. Payments must be made within 2 days of receiving the appropriate documentation. And if you don't meet these time requirements, it reflects badly on your reviews. So there's absolutely no way to win! They just keep giving you more and more claims and expect you to get everything done according to their time table, which is impossible! Also, there is definitely favoritism. Some reps are never bothered to go to classes or get their certifications in order to get promoted. Others are required to study (at home, unpaid), take the tests and get their certifications. I was constantly stressed and overworked; underpaid as well. I even cried on my way home from work on numerous occasions! So if you're in the insurance claims business, I would stay away from working at Amica and try to get in somewhere else. Maybe another company's work ethic and treatment of their  more... employees is better.  less
Pros
Employee Cookouts
Cons
All listed in review
Reg. Past Experience
Software Engineer, Cap Gemini Technologies, India (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 2, 2016
, learned lot of things during my 1 year journey ,so i can utilize this skills in my future employment, Introduced with new technologies
great place
Associate Claims Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 9, 2016
Very hectic work load but amazing office employees to help you through the day. Everyone is willing to help you. Always learning new things daily
Friendly, helpful and driven company
Human Resources Representative Intern (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RIApril 22, 2016
Amica strives to provide great customer service to its internal and external customers. The culture is great, and every one is always willing to help one another. Amica is a great place to work.
More like a call center than an agency
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Lisle, ILFebruary 27, 2016
A typical day at work is spent phone bound, expected to handle 20-25 calls daily.
Management opportunities are plentiful, but because of this, it lends itself to frequent turnover in management at the branch locations.
Co-workers are great! I consider my colleagues helpful, generous, patient, and kind.
The hardest part of the job is handling complaint calls, especially if management does not lend its support; frequently "thrown under the bus".
For non-degreed, front line employees, there is little opportunity for advancement. We are all doing the same job essentially.
Pros
Best beneifts package in the industry.
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities.
Renovated legacy website in new content management system with Agile project methodology
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, RIFebruary 2, 2016
Amica has long-standing employees. This can be a true asset or liability. It also has implemented Agile project methodology, which, at times ran the project like clockwork. A great majority of their employees have only worked at Amica, so it is difficult introducing new concepts or methods of doing business.

I learned to work more and harder than ever before. I learned how to work in an Agile environment. I learned new software. I bonded with our team.

The hardest part of the job was change. Amica can be entrenched in certain ways of doing business. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the team was working as a well-oiled machine, with each person equally contributing. It was a great learning environment with truly nice people.
Pros
Open door policy
Cons
Change was tough
Exceptional company
Sr. Consulting Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RIFebruary 1, 2016
Good management, good work/life balance. People tend to stay too ,long in the same position, though, and management is fine with that.
Pros
dedicated people
Cons
remotely located
A thrill to Sale and Service customers
Underwriting Customer Sales/Service (Former Employee) –  Petaluma, CADecember 1, 2015
Taking various calls to assist customers, explain coverage and policies Complete applications with policy holders to bind their policy, Assist with billing issues. Resolve various issues.
Pros
Good pay, Great Benefits, Good Life Work Balance
Cons
In house Company / Management Changes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amica Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Amica Insurance Company Reviews by Location