AMICK FARMS Employee Reviews

low wage no advancement
Line leader maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Batesburg, SCNovember 29, 2015
Work hours have decreased no room for employee advancement low wages benefits are average. Hardwork and dedicated employees are not rewarded
Pros
it's a job
Cons
short breaks
Good job
Trimmer (Former Employee) –  Batesburg, SCNovember 15, 2015
great place to work. management was nice and I received a lot of experience in a fast paced environment. Coworkers all got along well and worked together. Enjoyed everything about the job
productive and fun work experience
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Batesburg-Leesville, SCSeptember 24, 2015
My day would start out collecting product for testing and doing temperature checks on fresh product. Amick farms was a really fun place to work with a lot of hard working employees and supervisors that actually cared and took pride in putting out the best product possible
Pros
excellent work environment
Cons
extremely cold tempertures
Upper management was top notch & very knowledgeable
Processing Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Batesburg SCJune 29, 2015
This plant ran flawless. I would go to work everyday to process like a sowing machine. My coworkers will very helpful. My managers were very knowledgeable of the process which made it very easy to work at this facility. The USDA personnel was the hardest issue to deal with at this facility.
Pros
Strong management knowledge
Cons
USDA issues
Nice place to work but very hard to advance
Scale operator (Former Employee) –  Batesburg, SCJune 17, 2015
A typical day at work involves weighing tubs of chicken breast on scales to be processed for shipping. I learned how foods are processed, packaged, and shipped. Management is confusing at times and I think they like it that way. The hardest part about this job was tolerating freezing temperatures. The enjoyable part of the job is learning new things to add to your experience.
Pros
payed holidays, overtime, fairly repertitious work.
Cons
short breaks and not knowing what time your getting off that day
My Amick Farms Review
Thigh Deboning (Former Employee) –  Hurlock, MDJune 3, 2015
You get one training day being an unexperienced employee. And not even a day. More like an hour or two. Breaks and lunch are way too short. There is no type of eating establishment there. You arent hired for the position and shifts you apply for even if you express the need for a certain shift. I can not work in extremely cold conditons due to a health condition and that was blantantly disregarded as I was still placed in a freezer for 8+ hours. However, if you must find a job. They are the place to go if you are looking for that type of work. I personally can not say that I would go back.
Pros
Immediate hire
Cons
Does not meet applicants needs
A job that one could advance in ,with along wait and dedication.
production worker (Former Employee) –  Batesburg-Leesville, SCMay 29, 2015
Standing eight hours,on a assembly line cutting chickens.How to have discipline.Management was on average okay at times could be hard to deal with.Coworkers were mainly there cause it was a job,some put forth the extra effort,to try and bring life to the job.Was not having my full break to be prepared for the work i was doing.And getting a quick restart.Was when i saw my product did with A+ effort leaving the production line.
Pros
401K, Health insurance, and a chance to grow with the company
Cons
need some more structure, to better assist with employess
they are making the plant bigger which will mean more jobs
Debone Line Leader (Former Employee) –  Hurlock, MDApril 20, 2015
working in a Poultry plant is not for everyone so if you feel you can do something different you should try.I worked there for almost three years and was told this job just isn't for you what more can i say . i was at work almost everyday for three years and 8 months and none of that matter in the end.
Pros
there were no pros
Cons
short breaks and if in management you hardly got a break not even to go to the bathroom
Poultry Processing Company
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Batesburg, SCApril 10, 2015
The job in itself was a good job but the company has no benefits. Learn the basic aspects of working in a poultry processing plant. Management was okay but could make some changes. Co-workers done well and there was no hard part to this job. The most enjoyable part of this job was learning about working with poultry.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
fast paced n cold
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Batesburg, SCJanuary 17, 2015
Don't really have much to say about Amick Farm. I really didnt have any problems there. It was cold but thats expected from a chicken poultry farm. There are some disrespectful people there but thats every where you go. The pay is 8.00-8.50 so it could be better considering that you in the cold and standing up all day. Other than that it's a job.
Pros
a job
Cons
cold
its a good place to work
Deboner (Former Employee) –  Batesburg-Leesville, SCSeptember 2, 2014
its a good place to be and the people are nice and they dont be on your back like others
not a good job
Cone Line Hanger (Former Employee) –  Batesburg, SCAugust 25, 2014
I had to hang raw chicken on a cone on the end of an assembly line.
maintenance perspective only.
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Batesburg, SCJuly 2, 2014
We only have 7 people in our maintenance department that I work for. There are over 1,600 employees at Amick Farms. I have no idea what it's like to be a regular staff worker. However I can tell you that the pay is not on par for the course in maintenance. We only hire green. no experience necessary. If you do have experience, you probably won't work for $12/hr. I do know that maintenance supervisors have been fighting for a long time to get better wages for us. to keep your job, show up on time, do your job, don't miss days, and don't start fights. common sense isn't that common.
Pros
great benefits, some good people, and you will get full time.
Cons
schedule is sketchy. work every saturday, and sometimes days off. i have worked 2 months straight.
Its an ok job besides the management
wiztrim (Former Employee) –  Batesburg, SCFebruary 5, 2014
Most enjoyable part was my co-workers.

Standing up cutting chicken all day pretty much...
amick farms is a hard working company and requires you to work hard
Floorman (Former Employee) –  Batesburg, SCJanuary 31, 2014
i liked my job at amick farms but i did not like some of the people i worked around because there was no team work
Pros
i was able to work overtime and make extra money
Cons
you only get a couple of holidays off a year
Production
Cutter (Former Employee) –  Saluda, SCJanuary 27, 2014
deboning the thigh bone out of a piece of chicken. Placing the cut meat in the correct hole to be checked by inspectors.
very stressful and hostile workplace
Evisceration Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hurlock, MDDecember 27, 2013
This is not a place I would recommend for anyone. I've worked management and on the line and have watched this plant deteriorate. The supervisors (at least the ones in my department) were treated and spoken to like children and were chastised in front of the employees. You are made to feel that if you don't have feathers you don't matter. The employees are very hard working and try hard but upper management makes it very hard for the supervisors to put them at ease and feel comfortable in their jobs. I loved meeting the people I worked with but it's hard to manage when you're being micromanaged and degraded at every turn. No supervisor should be cursed at or called out of their name for any reason. A training program should be put in place to train all levels of management how to do their job. Knowing how to run a plant is good but you also need to know how to treat your employees. Your employees can make or break you.
Pros
early hours
Cons
no contract to negotiate issues and expectations for all concerned parties
Awful Production
Breast Puller/Tender Clipper (Former Employee) –  Saluda, SCDecember 2, 2013
The worse place I could ever work. The care nothing about you all they care about is your work. The building is very unsanitary and is not handled they way they suppose to be. If you get hurt or a simple accident instead of them seeing what wrong they immediately send you to take a drug test.
Not a good place to work
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Batesburg-Leesville, SCNovember 22, 2013
Worked on a assembly line with 7 other people stacking pallets with 100 pound tubs of chicken. Management was rarely around and didn't listen to employee complaints about supervisors and other co workers. Hardest part of the job was keeping supplies from tearing up due to the work you had to do, and i most enjoyed the lifting of the weight because it gave you a good workout.
great place to learn leadership skills , short distance from home
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Batesburg-Leesville, SCNovember 21, 2013
great place to work and learn leadership skills didnt take me loing to get to work(about 15 minutes)
Pros
christmas bonus, payed vacation and birthdays
Cons
never know what time you might get off from work