AMN Healthcare Employee Reviews

Disappointed with my choice in choosing to accept this temp position.
Time Processor (Former Employee) –  Del Mar, CAJuly 1, 2013
This company hires individuals directly as "TEMPS". I was informed at the time I was hired, this would be a long term temp position that could lead to a permanent position. Within 5 weeks, management changed and new individuals were promoted to supervisor positions with no prior experience in our department. They began to make changes and hired new individuals that they wanted to be apart of their new team. I was let go as well as other "temp" employees that were hired on prior to my starting employment there as well as the new supervisors starting. If I would of known this was going to happen, I would of never accepted this position. I had other job offers and thought at the time, I had accepted the right position. Guess I was wrong, and now I am looking for a job again. Only reason given to me was my temporary position had ended. After I worked long hours starting at 5:30 a.m. staying until 6:30 p.m. at times. Goes to show their appreciation.
Pros
cafeteria and starbucks located inside work building along with a workout gym for employees.
Cons
low pay / company hires individuals direct to work as temp employees.
Productive Fast paced environment
Quality Services Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 26, 2014
A typical day at work consisted if the following functions: analyze and process moderate to complex Human Resources (HR) transactions. Gather information and evaluate the information obtained to determine assignment eligibility. Serve as liaison; communicate directly with internal staff, external clients and healthcare contractors to ensure all requirements are completed accurately and in a timely manner.Case management. Monitor and track contractor’s records to ensure all files adhere to all State and facility regulations, standard, policies and procedures.High volume operation environment; managing files and documents that require precise handling in order to meet deadlines Assists with the site credentialing process; including gathering and documenting facility requirements, which can include maintaining I-9’s, updating medical exam records and health screenings.
Great work environment and culture.
Ended up losing money to company
Travel RN (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 15, 2013
Awful. In every way. Lied. About everything: salary, job description, housing, positions. Apartment not ready when I moved in. No furniture for several days (slept on the floor). Moved to city only to find out the position didn't fit my skill set. Was told many things that later I was told, "I never said that. And besides, you don't have it in writing so there is no proof." This seems to be their motto. I do have many things in writing that they are still refusing to honor. I took a job with another company because I found how little AMN paid and with all the dishonesty and trouble I had with them. Months later I started getting hounded about how much money I owed the company. I never did receive my last paycheck. I just want to be free of any association with them. Good thing I have so many things in writing because I may have to get legal counsel involved.
Pros
nothing. i think i lost money working for them.
Cons
dishonest. made up fees and retaliation when choosing another company.
Good travel agency, questionable recruiters
Hematology/Oncology RN (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 6, 2012
Started off being a terrific agency. Then my recruiter left and the recruiter I was assigned to next only returned the phone calls and emails that were convenient. When I was first assigned to her she told me everything I wanted to hear but didn't back anything up. I was in limbo until a week and a half before my assignment ended waiting to hear where I would be going next. It's scary when you aren't for sure if you will be able to find a new assignment when your assignment ends. She told me that she would start looking 2 months ahead of time but didn't start doing anything until 3 weeks, then it was a scramble. She also kept informing me of jobs that were open that I wasn't qualified for. She would tell me things then deny saying them. I'm also questioning where all the money is actually going. A cost breakdown would be nice.
Pros
food stipend, housing, furnishings, utilities
Cons
no paid vacations, some questionable housing, ok benefits
Think twice about the Irving location.
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Irving, TexasNovember 8, 2012
The company since it was bought out has changed. It is not "long time friendly" and lets you know that at any given time, you can be replaced with now young college kids for half the pay. The hours are not family friendly. The commissions don't always apply because there is no set standard and what was worked so hard for, could go to a different department when you had no idea that could be the case. You will be told that your base plus commissions will be great, but you better just be content with about half the commissions they actually tell you, you will make. This company has a reputation for being a "sweat shop"... ask around before you accept a position. The door there is always revolving. Positions are always open. Do your homework on THEM.
Pros
nice benefits, conveniently located
Rollout of new office hit a few bumps in the road
Recruitment Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2014
AMN is a travel nursing giant, so AMN had excellent benefits and a complete training process which was very involved. Unfortunately the location I worked at was a new location and wasn't the office wasn't given the direction needed from the corporate headquarters. In essence leaving the manager of the office with out any real authority to direct the office toward the goals set forth from corporate.

Be ready for lots of conference calls and expect to work on at least 7 different systems. Hopefully they will streamline the databases, otherwise I would expect for their to eventually be billing problems with clients, etc...

Overall AMN was a reputable company experiencing the kinks of opening a new office.
Pros
nice benefit package
Cons
office was new

Comment – September 24, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We value all of our team members and understand how each individual is important to the Company’s mission. To that end we are proud to offer a multitude of training programs and comprehensive benefit options, and I am glad you found these beneficial. In regards to our databases, I am very happy to report we are in the midst of a company-wide technology overhaul that will result in upgraded and streamlined operating systems, software and machines. This is a multi-year project and team members are encouraged to take an active role in this transformation. I would love to speak to you more about your recommendations. I hope you will contact me by calling AMN at any time.

Great Company to Advance a Career
Marketing Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 9, 2015
As someone in a corporate support role, I've been exposed to more than a sales or someone in a recruiting position. The corporate office does just enough to support the companies it owns. There is a lot of politics to work through as well, making it difficult at times to get a project pushed through to completion.

There is a disjointed cooperation arrangement in that the various roles within the marketing department are not clearly defined except a few and even then, each person has different and at times, overlapping duties to the various companies.

If you're an aggressive sales professional or have a solid recruiting background, I'm sure it's a good place to work.
Cons
Odd management structure, political work environment
Enjoyable company culture
Housing Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 29, 2013
While AMN is filled with fun and cordial employee's the jobs that are available are lacking room for growth. The pay is DECENT for a start but you will soon take on much more responsibility than you are compensated for and worked longer hours than is originally implied without much in the way of compensation. While it is true that the company promotes interdepartmental movement, it is often to a lower pay grade and even starting at an entry level position. A young fun company to work for but because of its large size employees often become a number rather than a valued team member.
Pros
health insurance discounts with health assessments
Cons
short breaks, quite low medical/dental expense assistance
Good Place to Learn Business, But Don't Expect Great Pay
Operations (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 14, 2012
The thing I like the most about AMN is the ability to connect internally. I have met a lot of people since I've been here and the relationship connections have proven to be very, very valuable. I have met people from all over the country and some very prestigious universities.

Fun work environment and the social aspect is incredible.

If you're looking for a start in your career and an opportunity to look in on how a business runs AMN would be a good company to get a start with. The people that run this organization are level-headed and they're always looking for new ways to make business better.
Pros
gym/cafe/company activities (so much to get involved in!!)
Cons
workload, pay
Overall good
Time Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 17, 2015
Pros- Great culture. Leader in healthcare staffing. Encourages professional and personal growth. Job shadowing for any position of interest is encouraged/ approved. Work life balance with flexible scheduling. Great partnerships with other departments to improve processes. Onsite Cafe that has better than usual office food. Onsite gym. Company sponsored runs such as Susan G Komen. Great recognition program.

Cons- Growing too fast that there is a lot of work, overtime, and insufficient training. Pay is pretty low considering the amount of work that is given and expected. Some departments like to play the blame game and don't establish "better" practices or solutions.
Production Support Specialist I, TSG
Production Support Specialist I, TSG (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 14, 2014
Supply PC hardware and software support to end user. Provide first level assistance for defined problems and escalate tickets as necessary. Install PC and related peripheral equipment for IT customers (both internal and external) with a high degree of customer service, technical expertise and timeliness. Maintain statistical reports and documentation, including troubleshooting and departmental effectiveness within issue tracking software. Set up user accounts. Process move, transfer and user change forms. Help maintain inventory control for AMN IT assets. Set up for meetings along with other special requests.
Associate Vendor Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego,CAOctober 1, 2014
-Worked with high end hospitals to get Nurses compliant to work by reviewing their documents for compliance.
-Management was available and helpful.
-Coworkers were always willing to help out. I was a remote employee so help via phone or email was welcome from employees at the Corporate office.
-Being remote was hard to receive timely answers if needed.
-Not fighting traffic and no office gossip was the best part of being remote and being a independent worker was the most enjoyable part of my work.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
being remote sometimes you did not get included in meetings that could have been needed.
Great place to work at.
Accounting Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego CAMay 14, 2012
Work with the File Support Department maintain the Accounting File room. Provide Supervisor weekly updates of filing and invoice mailing procedures and patient’s information. Responds to questions or problems raised by an AMN associate in a timely manner. Perform daily File Support functions such as: Completing critical processes on time. File all assigned accounting, patient documentation alphabetically in a timely manner. Maintain traveler files, vendor files, housing files, hospital files, patient files and time card files, etc.
Great place to start your career
Senior Recruiter (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 15, 2015
AMN is a bit behind the times with their technology and employee benefits. I know a lot of companies who are more flexible with their hours, PTO and compensation. The healthcare industry is continuing to rise so job security is great. Management and co-workers are great, it's a just a public company which makes the work environment a little more strict. The job alone requires you to work with other departments and your commission depends on the support of these departments in order to do your job correctly.
Pros
Cafe, location, co-workers
Cons
Cold Calls, cubicle
Worked with wonderful people, however AMN healthcare very unorganized.
Licensed Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 9, 2015
Review Medical History and causes of pain with Clients.
Educate clients about massage and how it will benefit them in the long run.
Apply finger and elbow pressure on appropriate trigger points to decrease pain and increase Range of Motion.
Massage and press muscles and soft tissues of the body to give treatment for medical conditions, injuries or wellness maintenance.
Recommend stretching and other techniques for at home care.
Charted SOAP Notes
Pros
pick own schedule
Cons
very unorganized
Very Fun and Enjoyable Workplace
Hospital Account Coordinator- Managed Services (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2014
The AMN culture is rich and encouraging. The atmosphere is phenomenal and from the administrators, to management down to the regular employees everyone is treated with equality. The HR team is wonderful and I have nothing but great things to say. AMN makes sure each employee is provided with more than enough adequate training to successfully complete their job. All departments work together dynamically to keep a fun environment.
Pros
excellent cafe, beautiful location, great admin team
Wonderful work enviorment.
Clerical/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCAugust 28, 2013
Great company, team players very well organized. I work as a Document Imaging Specialist. My job duties were to upload medical information on our travel nurses and other important information into the computer system. I also scanned and retrieved the information when it was needed. I filed Medical Records, I also did SSN verifications, I was also required to make sure all of our travel nurses had every document sent in and checked all authenticity of all credentials needed to be employed through the company.
Pros
bonuses
Do not walk away from this company - RUN
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego CaliforniaJanuary 2, 2013
AMN should have stuck with its original brand, travel nursing. They didn't and chose to acquire several companies and have gone through so much reorganizing that most employees get lost in the mix of the company trying to catch up with its poor choices. Beautiful building? Yes. Fake Rah-rah sessions to keep you going? Maybe. Pay and good career/opportunity for advancement. NO WAY. Need a paycheck? Maybe, but get out ASAP.
Pros
none that make up for the poor work environment.
Cons
overworked/unhappy employees.
Fast pace work place
Time Processor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 13, 2015
During my time at AMN I have learned a lot about the Healthcare industry especially when it comes to the employees that help runt he different facilities. I have to work very efficiently, carefully and quickly in order to process about 3,000 Clinicians that AMN employs. Half of my week requires me to input time that is done on Cardiff and People Soft. The second half of the week requires me to handle all discrepancies, corrections and communications with the facilities.
Pros
4/10 work schedule
Cons
long hours, high stress
Committed to finding RN's the" right" travel assignment
Agency Travel Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 11, 2013
Patient care, patient care, patient care is my typical day at work...I have learned that nursing is my God given gift in life and I will never stop nursing. My travel agency team has treated me with undeniable respect and support. Although the most enjoyable part of my job is the traveling the hardest part of my job is leaving the hospital and staff I have worked with for the duration of my assignment.
Pros
going new places
Cons
leaving new friends