Amscot

Amscot Employee Reviews

Financial Service Associate (Current Employee), Miami, FLApril 20, 2015
Pros: friendly staff
Cons: nothing bad
There is from to grew in the company. The staff always wants to help. They management helps in every way. They have the schedules.
awful place to work
fsa (Current Employee), floridaApril 5, 2015
Pros: you make between 12-15 an hour
Cons: all the above
No lunch breaks you are lucky if you get to go to the bathroom. Long hours...No respect from the district leader. she is always complaining that we aren't doing our job fast enough. When you are working 10 plus hours a day you tend to run down. She is always why are you moving so slow. One of her branches she has had 2 branch leaders quit within a month, what does that tell you. Can't ask for days off, sometimes you have to work from 6:15 am until 10:45 pm. Also they have you close then open the next day No life outside of Amscot. They tell you in training at the Corp office they the co workers bosses aren't suppose to treat you like a jerk, so false. They don't care there are other people willing to work there until they see how it works. Just enough people to work there is no wiggle room.
is good but no emplyers considerations
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Orlando, FLApril 4, 2015
I like the company but no raise if the company is in loses but they are always like that. well that is what they say, you can have a perfect review and still do not get raise. was seeing this for two years not fair and got disapoinned.
Great Company
Assistant Branch Leader (Current Employee), Miami, FLMarch 28, 2015
This company was my dream job but letting eveyone get into my head i left and how I wish I was still there. The people who I work with was great people, the patients just bring life into the office.
Decent pay, lots of training, aweful schedule, no incentives, terrible management.
Co-Leader (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 15, 2015
Pros: pay, overtime, training, secure work area, advancement, 401k
Cons: awful schedule, long hours, little break, personal sacrifices, no incentive, no sick/personal day, mediocre benefits, expensive insurance, little vacation.
BENEFITS

EASY WORK
The concepts that you learn are easy to grasp and a lot of what you do will be routine: counting money, cashing check, give loans and sign contracts, pay bills, send/receive Western Union, fax, notary, and other clerical duties. If you have decent math skills, focus on your work and follow compliance policies, you will do well.

STARTING PAY
Amscot starting pay for Financial Service Associate or FSA is $12-$15, which is pretty good and slightly higher than most banks, especially for needing only a High School diploma and some Customer Service and Cash Handling experience. However, you only get $.50 raise as you move up in each management position in the branch: Assistant Leader, Co Leader, and Branch Leader, respectively. The overtime pay is what allows the Branch Leader to make 50-60K a year.

OVERTIME
You get paid 1.5x the rate after your regular 40 hours. You can easily find overtime at Amscot as each branch is staffed just enough to not hire any part-time employee. The first week of the month is the busiest as customers need to borrow money and pay bills; therefore, you will find yourself scheduled for 8-10 extra hours during that week. On average, the associates are scheduled for this amount of hours: FSA - 43, AL - 46, CL - 50, BL - 65. If another branch needs coverage, you may pick up that shift on your day off. You may also pick up an extra shift at your own branch if your co-worker calls out.

SECURE WORK AREA
Amscot bullet proof glass makes it a safe working environment. You are locked behind bullet proof glass with only a small opening to slide – more... documents through. Their security system helps you in getting in and out of the store safely during night times. Once you Clock-In, you are not permitted to leave the secure area until you Clock-Out, unless there’s an emergency. Only authorized personnels are permitted to enter the working area.

ADVANCEMENT
There are lot of opportunities for advancement because the company has a high turn-over rate, which is why it’s constantly hiring. Amscot uses the same system at all of its stores so you can apply to move up in any store. There have been associates who moved up as soon as 3 months to an Assistant Leader and within 2 years as a Branch Leader. Unfortunately, advancement opportunities become scarce the higher you move up.

401K
Amscot has a 401K plan that helps you save for retirement. It matches up to a certain percentage of your contribution. Although Amscot’s matching contribution isn’t nearly as much as banks or other financial institutions, it is still a plus to have a 401K.

CONS

NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE
Unfortunately, Amscot’s schedule makes it impossible to have a work and life balance. Most stores are open 7AM - 11PM, 365 days a year. 1/4 of its stores are opened 24hours. You are expected to be available from 6:15AM to 1AM. There are NO set schedules and NO two-day weekends. You are given ONE Week day and ONE Weekend day OFF. You CAN and WILL be scheduled for 10 - 16hrs on any day, for many days. You CAN and WILL be scheduled to close and then open back-to-back, leaving the store at 11PM one night, and then coming back at 6:15AM the following morning. If an associate calls out, you may have to work beyond your scheduled shift. Of course, you will be compensated with over-time pay. But for those with families and significant others, this put more stress on them as their family and personal time are shortened.

LONG SHIFT/LITTLE BREAK
Depending on which store you work at, you may or may not get a decent break. If customers enter the store, you are expected to “Beat Them to the Window” and ready to help. The first week of the month is the busiest and often customers trickle through out the day. Often, customers will enter the store during your lunch break, and depending on your staffing that day, you will be expected to stop eating and help them. Many associates have gone through their shift without taking a break because there are too many customers and managers have gone through 10+ hour shifts without eating lunch because they feel the pressure to be on duty at all times. The only upside to this is that you get paid for all the time that you’re there, even when you do take a break.

PERSONAL SACRIFICES
Without a work/life balance, you will have to make some sacrifices to stay on top of the schedule. There have been managers who missed out on their children growing up because they have to work 60 hours a week, associates who saw their partners only a few hours a day because of their long shift, and managers who lost sleep because one of their associates called out. Amscot does NOT permit you to be in school or have a second job. They are very vocal from the beginning that you must have NO SCHEDULE RESTRICTION as your personal and family life must be scheduled around the company’s.

LITTLE INCENTIVES
The company used to have more perks and rewards 10 years ago- which was partly why it was named One of Tampa Bay’s “Best Places to Work”. Employees used to enjoy getting Publix's Gift Cards year round for meeting branch goals and auditing compliance. Unfortunately, those days are over. The only reward program the company has today is the Perfect Performer Program. At the end of every quarter, associates may earn an extra 10% of their last pay and 8 hrs PTO to be used within the next 6 months. If you have no tardy, no customer complaints, no training issues, no infraction of any kind in the previous quarter, you may be eligible for this reward. Often, this program is really “carrot of a stick”, as the company will count everything to disqualify you. Also, if your branch meet collection goals, each associate will receive a $20-$25 restaurant gift card. This goal is achieved once in a blue moon.

NO SICK OR PERSONAL DAY
There are NO Sick or Personal Day at Amscot. You are expected to be at work even if you are slightly sick, as your absence is frowned upon and will result in extra stress being placed on other associates. Besides the Perfect Performer Program, the only true PTO that you have is your Vacation. Entry level associates will earn 1 week vacation ONLY after their 1st full fiscal year (beginning in May). 2 - 4 years associates will earn 2 weeks vacation. Only after 5 years of employment will you earn 3 weeks vacation. Most bank employees enjoy 2 - 3 weeks PTO in the FIRST year.

WORKING ON HOLIDAYS
Amscot has only 6 Paid Holidays. However, it is opened during ALL Holidays, which means you will be scheduled to work on a Holiday and 8 extra hours will be added to your week (without over-time pay). The only Holidays in which most associates get to be off are Christmas and Thanksgiving where only ONE associate will work. If you are an Assistant Leader or a Co-Leader, you will have to work during Christmas or Thanksgiving getting paid 2X your pay rate, plus 8 hours Holiday Pay. Most bank employees enjoy at least 10 Paid Holidays, in which their stores are closed and the employees actually get paid for it.

BENEFIT IS MEDIOCRE
Health insurance is expensive at Amscot, even the lowest premium plan has an expensive copay. Most banks and credit unions offer the same or slightly better benefits. At Amscot, there are No Tuition Reimbursement, No Commuter Benefits, No Scholarship for Family Members. There are some Discounts & Savings perks that rarely anyone use. Overall, the benefits package at Amscot is very basic and limited.

LACK OF TRUST
The company discourages employees from socializing outside of work due to fear of employees planning to plot against it. Employees are threatened with termination if found associating with each other outside of work. Their every move is being monitored by the company. There are no company social, no parties, no company wide celebration, no holiday celebration. The only celebration they do are held at Home Office for promotions of Co-Leaders, Branch Leaders, and other Corporate Office employees. You get to read about it later in the newsletter.

MANAGEMENT DOESN’T CARE ABOUT YOU
The bottom line is management doesn’t care about you. Most of the benefits you get of working at Amscot what you can do for the company while going above and beyond. When it come to your personal life, it matters little. The company expect you to be available when it needs you and compensate you with a slightly higher starting pay. But in the long run, you will make lots of sacrifices for this company. You are not a human being with needs and priorities beyond work. You are a replaceable worker, who’s given an extra dollar to be put on a leash. – less
worst job i have ever had ; (
Financial Service Associate (Former Employee), Miami, FLMarch 10, 2015
Pros: meet new people
Cons: no lunch, not able to sit
good ethics but be prepared never to sit down nor have a lunch break! They allow you 10 mins to eat then bother you to come back to the floor!!
Horrible place no life
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 1, 2015
Pros: money was good
Cons: district manager did not care about the employees
I hated working at Amscot. I had no life the job messed with my personal life because I would have no free time with my family. The only reason why I work there for such a long time is because I had a family to support.
Long hours with decent pay
Co-Leader (Former Employee), Sanford, FLJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: payed well, get overtime, safe enviroment
Cons: no breaks, have to work christmas
Amscot is a company that you work long hours but get paid decent for it. You do not get lunch breaks and once you come to work you are not allowed to leave til your shift is over. The hardest part of your job is doing what the company wants but when a customer complains or gets angry over company policy you get blamed. T
Fast paced customer service oriented that allow you opportunities to grow.
Assistant Leader (Former Employee), Kissimmee, FLJanuary 27, 2015
A typical day at work would be running back and forth handling customers and taking care of their needs. I learned about responsibility and leadership. I appreciated my management because they allowed me the opportunity to grow and become a manager myself. My co-workers were a wonderful team that works well with communication and got things done. The hardest part of the job was to learn that I cannot be perfect at everything and that things take time. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know everyone and building a strong relationship with my customers.
Ecelent
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 14, 2015
Excellent job, nice opportunity, a typical work, excellent work environment
Don't do it if you want or have a life
fsa (Former Employee), OrlandoJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: everything else
Only thing good is pay
Schedule is awful
No flexibility on time off. Huge problem if you call out for any reason
Benefits are not good. Medical insurance expensive for mediocre insurance
Management not helpful or supportive
It's all about the bottom line. They don't care about their employees
not a good workplace
Fsa (Former Employee), Miami, FlDecember 13, 2014
Cons: not good
I thought Amscot was a good company to work for I was so exciting to start my training. On the 4th day of training my car wouldn't start so I got a ride to training I didn't think that was a problem that been responsible & one of the person I was training with ask me if I can take her home & I said yes not thinking that was a problem. Well it was a big problem. They called me inside the office telling me that I can't have anybody to drop me off nor I can't give any associate a ride home & you can't have a personal relationship with the others associates telling me if I can't drive myself I need to inform my leader so they can put a note in my file & because of that they let me go. That's not a good company to work for!!!!!
fun workplace
Financial Services Associate (Former Employee), Pompano Beach, FLNovember 14, 2014
Pros: paid lunch time
value customers and management and co worker were hands on with training
seasonal job
Tax Preparer (seasonal) (Former Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 18, 2014
• Prepare federal income tax for individuals
• Educate customers on requirements and documentation
• Paper filing and markets services to previous customers
Wonderful Experience overall
Tax Preparer Seasonal (Former Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 23, 2014
I've enhanced my customer service skills working at Amscot, with the interviewing process, I was able to meet many different types of individuals. I enjoyed my job at Amscot.
Tough Job
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee), Bartow, FLSeptember 20, 2014
Long hours with Little to no breaks. Company will take customers side no matter what the situation is even if what their saying false. Good co workers that support in any way posible.
A fast paced work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLSeptember 20, 2014
Amscot is a good company to work for. They have great incentives.
Absolutley NO social life outside of Work
Assistant Leader (Former Employee), Rockledge, FLAugust 27, 2014
IF you like feeling like big brother is always watching, this is the job for you. There is always fear whenever the district manager is around. You are locked in the building your entire shift, so if you work 8, 10, 16 hrs, you are there all day! You work all the time, so you have no social life.
Great pay with a lot of sacrifices
Financial Service Assistant (Current Employee), Sanford, FLJuly 18, 2014
Amscot is all about Amscot. They are very vocal from the beginning that you have to be flexible with your schedule, in other words, means you have to revolve your life around your schedule at Amscot. They make up a little bit with their beginning pay being between $12-$15/hour, which is really nice, but the horrible hours and lack of request days off can get over-bearing.
It's a very easy job as far as you know what you're getting into each day, and if you like being in a fast pace environment this is the job for you. The people you work with are very nice, but Amscot requests you dont become friends outside of work with anyone who works with you, so they can protect themselves from any possible conflict of interests or possible group robbery.

Apply for this job if you are single and want to make money, If you have a family and want to have time for them weekly, this isnt the job.
Unreasonable Schedules
Financial Services Associate (Former Employee), Orlando, FLApril 14, 2014
Pros: pay was ok
Cons: schedules are horrible, amscot does not care about your personal life
Was barely off. Couldn't request days off. Never missed a day but was laid off due to a customer complaint and to this day I do not know what the complaint was.

About Amscot

In need of cash in a flash? Through a branch network, Amscot Financial offers financial services such as check cashing, money – Read more