Amscot Employee Reviews

Excellent for experience but terrible work/life balance
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 5, 2016
Amscot is quick to promote especially if you're motivated and intelligent. I'm grateful for the skills I've learned from hands on experience running a business and as a branch manager learn how to do everything short of payroll. While I am grateful that I've learned so much, the largest downside to the company is that as management, most of my time is spent in the branch. Hours are extremely long and every first week of the month I can expect to work 65 to 70 hours with no time take a bathroom break, let alone take a lunch break. Unfortunately my values and Amscots began to differ over time and I decided that my family was more important than living at work.
Pros
great experience, good pay, job security
Cons
13+ hour days, short breaks if any, unreliable schedules that change from day to day
Highs and Lows
Assistant Leader (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 4, 2016
Good company to work for with a strong core of diligent workers and
good job security.

Work hours are not the greatest and alot of needless training at times.
Pros
Overtime at times
Cons
Schedules, no breaks
Not the greatest place
financial services representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 27, 2015
I am typically a happy persona\ and this job was quite depressing. I moved to 3 different locations in less than 4 months. Managers are always mad and stressed. Veteran employees are not always as helpful as they should be. I am a firm believer in pulling employees aside and speaking to them about what they should do better and instead I was yelled at multiple times in front of customers. I also believe in giving the best customer service to the customer. Amscot is more about speed if service rather than quality of service. Hours vary from 4 hours a day to 13 hours a day.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Everything else.
Great attitude from Management
Financial service associate (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, FLDecember 1, 2015
A typical day at Amscot is as follows. I will come into work and dive right into cash handling. Opening my drawer for the day is consistent and I enjoy that. Customer service is a must with that comes having a great attitude for the job. I have learned how to handle Western Union, how to spot when a customer is being scammed through Western Union. I have learned to spot stolen and counterfeit checks.
My management is really good. They are willing to work and teach you when you need it. Co-workers are very nice. Although some get way to personal about their life outside work and notice they bring problems to work. Hardest part of the job is the schedule. I am flexible but you can not plan anything unless it's a month away or even longer. I have not been able to see my daughter as much being here. Most enjoyable is learning and knowing if I want I am able to move up in the company
Pros
Salary, incentives, and room for advancement
Cons
schedule and not being able to have a life outside the company
Claustrophobic place with awful managment
Financial Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 30, 2015
Excellent coworkers but management want you to be a robot, cant leave the building and you work life balance going to be destroyed.
Pros
Salary
Cons
productive and fun work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLNovember 17, 2015
fast paced, customer service environment
must be knowledgeable about all compliance laws
fun atmosphere
extremely busy first of every month
Pros
knowledgeable work associates
Cons
locked behind glass until you clock out, opened 365 days
Horrible Job Stay Away!
FSA (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 14, 2015
This is simply the worst job! No BREAKS No LUNCHES! You cannot leave the building other than to take out the trash at certain times. Employees are rude to customers always screaming at them to come up to a window, treating them like it is a cattle call. Amscot wants customers to wait at a window rather than have a sit in the lobby. You have to help more than one customer at a time or you get yelled at for making them 'wait'. More errors happen that way and when you drawer is not balanced you have to explain why.They have bad polices like counting the money three times and also you have to keep track of audits on your drawer in two different forms which is dumb because they can just pull a report. They always preach about saving time yet do things that waste time. The owner has been in trouble with the law for fraud, not sure how he has managed to stay in business. Gives cash advances to old people on social security who will never pay their way out of debt because of their fixed income and they lend money to mentally ill people. Yet they claim that the lend out responsibly. Recently started using government scare tactics to have people sign up for a petition that would limit their use of cash advances by telling them 'the government will take away your cash advances' which isn't true. You are not entitled to a raise unless your branch performs really well. Even though you have no control what so ever on who comes in and who doesn't. They refuse to give time off of any kind, you must be there one year before you can take any time off - and you have to take it all at once. No  more... sick days either so if you are sick, you have to come in to work. Also you must have a car because of the way they open and close, if you do not they will not hire you. You have to clean at the end of the night in 15 minutes, which is nasty because customers clean out their cars in the little tiny trash bins Amscot provides, also must mop, sweep, take out the trash. clean spit off windows etc. They have a music CD that plays on repeat 24/7 enough you drive you mad. Customers are low class angry people, but I guess if I was in debt and couldn't get a bank account and got cash advances every week then I would be angry too. Long hours required at Amscot, you will work 11-15 hours in one day! Yup - standing all day getting a hard time from customers, with no break or lunch. The schedule is all over the place you will open then the next day close or close late and open early. You will not get two days off in a row, usually one weekend and one week day, you never feel refreshed because you are always drained from the stress of this job. The job description, recruiter, trainer none of them tell you how it REALLY is here. This is not a typical retail job. You have to go through class room training for a week (must pass all the test or they fire you) then you go to a branch for a week to train then on the last day they surprise you on your 'home branch'. Moving up is worthless you only get 50 cents when you 'move up' and you get a ton more responsibility. You will work every holiday even Christmas because low lives need their cash advances even on Christmas Day.  less
Pros
Cons
Every thing listed above
nice
Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami Gardens, FLNovember 13, 2015
it was nice something different. meet a lot of different people. amscot don't give you time to have a life. long hours, everyone is nice and fun to work with. you learn new things every day.
Pros
pays really good
Cons
no life working there
Amscot
FSA (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 6, 2015
Amscot is a good Job but not a career. Company does not like to keep people long term. They believe in doing more with less workers which results in being over worked. Benefits are bad no paid sick time.
Decent company, little consistancy between branches
Co-leader (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 1, 2015
Amscot as a whole is a decent company but unless you want to be a branch leader and stay in the branches indefinitely then you need to have a goal of where you want to end up, such as the corporate offices in Tampa, a training location, or in maintenance or tech support. In theory Amscot does hire from within for all of these positions.

Each branch is unique. Each branch manager dictates what the atmosphere of the branch. Some managers are easy going and allow for more open communication between the employees and about mistakes being made, while others are more strict and very precise about what they want and expect.

There is no leadership or communication training at the corporate level as far as I can tell. Many managers achieved their current position by getting into the good graces of the manager who they worked with the longest, for that reason they seem to automatically inherit their former mangers general style of leadership (strict or relaxed)

Advancement can be rapid early on but there is a choke point once you reach the Co-leader position (Assistant Branch Manager). This is because of the large number of Co-leaders and the small number of openings to become a Branch Manager. Further advancement can be sought in the corporate office located in Tampa or at a training location if you ware willing to relocate.

Early advancement is easy if you listen to what your manager says, display some minimal competencies by keeping the number of mistakes you make low, and showing that you want to learn and move to the next position. This you are likely to get
  more... promoted quickly. I was promoted from Financial Services Associate To Assistant Leader in 60 days and to Co-Leader in less than a year. To help make this happen you should expect to work holidays and since Amscot is open 365 days a year there will be plenty to work on.  less
Pros
rapid advancement for those who want it, decent hourly wage, guaranteed full time
Cons
non standard shift hours, poor work balance, no consistency in management, open 365 days a year (even christmas)
Lots of testing
Financial Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa FloridaOctober 23, 2015
They are very strict. Don't make a honest mistake on writing your schedule down no tolerance will terminate. The Financial Sales Associate has to sweep mop wash windows and wipe down all the stations and clean restroom at the end of the day. You learn a lot I mean a lot. The female Leads well there females. It full time you may work six hours one day and fifteen the next. And that fifteen hours IS mandatory.
Pros
It's full time.
Cons
You are the Janitor at the close of business, has to be clean in 15 minutes.
the vast majoritie of the associate are amazing
fsa (Former Employee) –  bradenton floridaOctober 15, 2015
great pay out of high school, restricts your life greatly, raises are not promised, i had fun working with 99% of the people at this company
Pros
the majority of workers are amazing and fun rob is the best branch leader
Cons
little to no lunch breaks schedules are not set
No life
Financial Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 12, 2015
unstable changing schedules
only 15 min breaks for 11 hour shift
people only stay there because of the pay
needs culture change from the top.
managers are not happy.
Pros
alright starting pay.
Cons
everything else
Financial Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FL.October 8, 2015
Fair Enviornment, Treated Fairly. Provides positive feed back to help improve. Management truly cares about their employees and needs
A good fun learning environment.
Financial Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 6, 2015
A good place to work to learn a lot about the financial world. For Banking and laws about Money. Management is good when teaching you and guiding you to become the fast speedy service for this decade. This job keeps you on your toes and you learn a lot.
Pros
Great step in to a financial stetting to learn.
Cons
Do as i say not as i do.
I DID NOT EVEN START WORKING, ONLY TRAINING
trainee (Former Employee) –  miami, flSeptember 30, 2015
I was terminated from the training class. I passed all my test with an average of 90%. I was terminated because I did not flip the money over when counting to the computer. If I was not counting the cash correctly, I can quite understand their reasoning. After all you were going to the branch to train for another 2 weeks, where you would learn the actual hands on training. I have been working in the bank for 10 years and had no cash differences or losses.Maria was very nasty and said " we don't hire cashiers, we hire leaders" What is she doing there then, she is definately not a leader.I think that the President should look into some of the people they have hired to manage their company.
Pros
have not seen it yet
Cons
not very professional
It Ok
Branch Leader assistant (Former Employee) –  Margate, FLSeptember 24, 2015
It a ok job the pay is ok for what you do the only bad thing was the district manager she loved to humiliate people but I guess the company approve of it because she is still their
Pros
Start Job for regular pay
Cons
No time for social life
The most stressful job I have had!
Financial Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 3, 2015
To weed out the people who are right for this job, on the first day of training they tell you that once you get behind the glass, you cannot leave it for any reason. Not even if you are sick. They start you at a pretty decent pay scale, so you figure that you can handle it. Something like this sounds minor...until it happens. I started having chest pains towards the end of my shift. There was no compassion from management. I could not leave without having someone to relieve me. After working there for a couple of months, you would start to dread the first of the month. Based on their "window system" it is difficult to keep up with who is next once it gets very busy. The customers will bang on the glass, spit on the glass, and throw things. The only motivation to continue working for this company is the pay. You then begin to think that the pay isn't worth your sanity. Stay away from this place if you can!
Pros
pay
Cons
long hours, extreme busyness, being locked in the cage
Good company
Financial Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 2, 2015
Great benefits and pay but work hours are long. Can not leave for lunch so you feel trapped. Overall, a good company if you are single and willing to work extremely long hours.
Honest review
Co leader (Former Employee) –  brevard countyAugust 29, 2015
I worked for Amscot for just under six years, and one day I just couldn't take it anymore. The pay is good and I moved up quickly; I was a Coleader in less than a year. Amscot rules with what we called a culture of fear. You were constantly afraid of getting fired. They also required you to do things that I felt was unethical. Every morning you were required to call banks of customers that had not paid their cash advances. You would then enter their account number and use the social to pretend to be them and check their balance. As an employee you were required to lie to customers and tell them that you shred their paperwork when they requested it back, when really we would keep it on file. We were also required to make copies of military IDs which I thought was against the law. One time my district leader had another Coleader take 3 customer's personal checks and take them in her personal vehicle over to another branch and then home for the night. No harassment policy was a joke. They left two people alone many of times and most branches didn't have cameras in the back; there were many things that went on that as a women you would feel very uncomfortable. I really enjoyed working with the customers and the actual job itself was good. The fear was terrible and the belittling that you endured from your district leader and branch leader. The schedule was what I hated most you were never allowed to request to change it at all. Often the branch leaders would call other employees on there days off and "get on to them" if they made any type of mistake like not signing a contract.  more... When I worked at the Palm Bay road location the branch leader would keep tally marks of how many times each person used the restroom. Overall the job is good for the pay and the actual job itself. I meat a lot of good people and I learned many things, but you have to weigh the quality of life compared to money.  less
Pros
Pay, overtime
Cons
no breaks, fear, poor treatment