Amsted Rail Employee Reviews

Senior Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILDecember 26, 2017
Amsted rail is a leading manufacture of steel railroad castings. Have good benefits including ESOP, 401K and Medical insurance, Dental insurance and Paid vacation
Number driven culture, zero regard for employee safety
Multicraft Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INDecember 13, 2017
ncompetent upper management structure drove a large a large divide between departments, which caused a lot of inter-departmental discourse. Plant manager will sacrifice the jobs of those with a much longer company tenure than himself if it means meeting his bonus structure. 40% work force reduction within 2 year timeframe. Stated OHSA and EPA violations are disregarded by HSE manager. Pay is top tier, but isn't worth the stress.
Pros
Maintenance Manager easy to work for and with, but hands are tied
Cons
Cons Cut throat upper management, stressful environment, number driven culture supersedes safety and well being of hourly employees
Amsted Rail
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILOctober 18, 2017
I was there to support the office. I was there as a temp. A typical day was working with the employees with their rates and hours. It was a small office but very professional.
Pros
Very quiet
Cons
Employee questions
a great place to work with great people to work with. the company was great in recognizing the team accomplishments with different perts .
Melt Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, AL 35020October 12, 2017
- great production
- whats involved in making rail wheels
- fair managers
- great environment
- keeping everyone safe
- the people and a productive day
Pros
very rewarding
Cons
spend lots of hours away from home
Got along good with most of the Employees encouraged employee interactions
Chipper/Grinder (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILAugust 21, 2017
Amsted has been good to me in the beginning but as the marriage grew we kinda parted ways. I wish that Amsted didn't get rid of its employees so much maybe they will switch the employment basis in the future for the better.
Pros
Welders get treated well
Cons
Dirty place, too many lay offs
A great opportunity
Fifty Foot Heater Operator (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INJuly 3, 2017
find out the assignment job set up the unit wait for the program and wait for material to start the job run a sample make sure it is good and have it inspector
Pros
a good 401k
Cons
had to work in a hot environment
Excellent place to work
Assemblymen A - Production (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAJune 13, 2017
Awesome opportunity

Great working environment

Great staff. My Supervisor was easy to work for.

Work life balance.

Overall I enjoyed my experience at Amsted Rail in Camp Hill, PA
It's a great job to get started at in my field
Repair & Maintenance Machinist (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILJune 8, 2017
I really don't have much to say here. Its my job and I go to it every day and don't complain because it's what puts food on the table for my family. However, I do appreciate the challenges involved with what I do and look forward to using that to move ahead elsewhere.
Very well maintained weld shop that supplied all necessary tools.
Steel Welder (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 31, 2017
Amsted Rail is a manufacturer of freight train brakes. I really enjoyed my time there. I worked in the steel shop MIG welding. I was responsible for 10 different jobs/parts to weld. Some took only a few minutes, others up to 30-40 minutes. I worked in a private weld cell and was responsible for moving the supplies I needed on the fork lift, keeping track of my production numbers, and quality control paper work. I worked night shift for two years and day shift for about four months. I was laid off in October 2016 and called back a few months later. When I returned I was told it was for a 3 month contract. After three months I was told they were not hiring welders at the moment and I could go to the assembly department. I was not interested in doing that so I decided to look for a new job. I got along with all my bosses and coworkers.
Pros
Great schedule, well maintained weld machines, freindly atmosphere.
Cons
Job security
Doggedly Stressful
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHApril 9, 2017
Expectations and goals were lacking, seldom were goals and plans for the days work communicated. Good Pay, Long hours of mandatory overtime. Not conducive to team environment. Projects were not planned in advance and there was a lot of last minute changes. One supervisor would tell you one thing and another would say something else. There was the freedom to contribute your ideas, or at least communicate them, to management. The dirt and dust in the plant were really hard to take. Training and work standards were spotty at best with job training sorely lacking which led to different standards for different shifts.
Pros
Pay was good with all the O/T.
Cons
Very Dirty
Great Experience, learned a lot
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILApril 5, 2017
Too many hours to work when the company is at its busy times. Then constant fear of lay offs when the work begins to slow. There was great pay and opportunity for advancement.
Pros
pay, opportunity
Cons
hours, slow downs
Family Oriented Enviorment, Nice Place to work
Quality control (Inspector) (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAApril 4, 2017
Great Company and they value their employees. The hardest part of the job was working 12 hours a shift. I learned a lot about quality and what to look for in products to pass our specifications.
Pros
Annual bonus
Cons
12 hour shifts
Process improvement gold mine
Controls Engineer (Current Employee) –  Groveport, OHMarch 8, 2017
30+year old plant that has recently begun a technology upgrade. We melt scrap steel and make train wheels. With multiple plants in the US and Canada there is a wealth of knowledge for anyone in the technological fields.
Pros
Lots of work to keep you busy.
Cons
Not a lot of time to do it in.
Productive workplace
Mechanic, Maintenance Machinist (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 1, 2017
I enjoy and appreciate my job at Amsted Rail. The only bad thing i could possibly say about the company is that they have too many layoffs.
Pros
Fun, friendly work environment. Good pay
Cons
Dirty foundry environment. Frequent layoffs
Productive workplace
Chipper (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILFebruary 22, 2017
Working with the grinders really did a toll on your hands after a while. The money was great. I had enough to pay my bills and take care of my family.
Great company to work for.
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2017
Amsted Rail is an incredible company. The people there are so nice and helpful. The office is very professional and clean while also being in a great location.
Fun and positive place to work
Burner (Former Employee) –  Granite City IllinoisJanuary 30, 2017
Really good place to work for the only downfall is they lay off a lot it sounds like they lay off about a year and they have a big turnover rate
Great job
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALJanuary 9, 2017
Great place to work and the pay was good. The long hours and days we had to work made it hard sometimes but you had to have a good work ethic. Supervision was OK.
Pros
Good pay good hours
Cons
Supervision
Very demanding job,but overall great place to work.
Sand Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 6, 2017
I would still be there if they hadn't,shut down.I wish we would have been given more notice about it.However,i was given the opportunity to move with the company,but couldn't just uproot my family to Kansas City.
Pros
Appreciation dinners were always given.
Cons
Sometimes would work 9 days or so before i get a off day.
It was somewhat a good work environment
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALDecember 29, 2016
It was a fun place to work at. Always stayed active at work. As long as you keep yourself busy those 12 hours went by fast. It was good money though. Working 12 hours six days a week was tiring. Some of the managers had a bad attitudes and didn't care to be there. Also some of them was rude and didn't want to hear what you had to
Pros
Health benefits and a good environment
Cons
Managers didn't really care to be there