Amsted Rail Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun workplace.
Horse Operator (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILMay 5, 2016
A typical day at Amstad Rail is fun and exciting. I learn something new everyday. Management is fun to work with. My co-workers are also fun to work with. Everyone gets along great. The hardest part of my job is lunchtime, mainly cause it's only 30minutes. The most enjoyable part of my job is completing my assigned task.
Great experience
Safety Intern (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 28, 2016
A very great company that really cares about each of its employee's. The upper management for this company constantly strived to improved its work culture.
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHFebruary 23, 2016
Poor work / life balance but very secure employer. Good retirement plan. Medical and dental plan is poor. They are pretty bad to employees and experience a ton of turnover.
brenco atleast its some where to work
brenco (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAFebruary 21, 2016
brenco do not get paid that much compared to what they want you to do they do layoffs every couples year no job security would not recommend unless really just need the money
Productive place to work at.
Processing Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALOctober 12, 2015
Can be a fun place to work at. But, requires lots of overtime and at times not be family friendly. Offers good benefits and an excellent retirement.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Lots of Overtime
great summer internship
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILAugust 18, 2015
Wonderful internship opportunity, open text and SAP experience was gained quickly. Accountants working through the temp agencies are treated largely as permanent employees. As an accountant, there are constant e-mail and phone requests on top of regular invoice processing. Self motivated individuals with strong drive and good note taking skills and communication are definitely necessary. However, the senior accountants and managers are fantastic resources when you need the extra help.
Pros
flexible meal times, overtime opportunities
Cons
constant requests can get stressful
Challenging enough to help you grow/learn
Brenco, Supply Chain Intern (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJuly 28, 2015
Great internship program. Happy to have been a part of it. I was given many projects with a look at each part of the supply chain. The people are super nice. It was very much the learning experience.
Do not work here
Staff Accountant/Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Granite CityJune 18, 2015
I started here as temp in general accounting. I liked it there, but they wouldn't hire me because I was a female with children (that's what the director told me). I moved to accounts payable still as a temp. I figured I would learn all I could while I was there. I did processing for a month, and then was moved to working the phones. I handled over 45 phone calls per day and hundreds of emails. I also had to sort and deliver mail as well as log wayward checks and cash. I was worked to the death and reasonably struggled to keep up. I finally got a job elsewhere. I gave a two week notice, but I was cut short. The AP manager told the temp agency I was behind on my work and didn't care when in fact I did care and was doing my best to keep up with a job meant for two to three people while training a new person. The AP department has been behind for a long time. I didn't single handedly destroy the department as the manager claimed. Stay away. They will lure you in with the promise of a contract to hire job. They just use temps to throw under the bus for management's own short comings and inadequacies. The discrimination is in that place is viral, but nobody cares. I faced gender discrimination as well as religious discrimination. A supervisor made comments that I didn't look Aryan enough to have a German last name. The reason I don't look Aryan is because I am Jewish. Take my advice. Go work for a better company that has professionals and operates in the 21st century.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Low Pay, Discrimination, No Benefits
Production
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Granite ILJune 16, 2015
We are to process 150 invoice daily and anwers emails daily from vendors and Buyers. Answer phones calls daily. Heavey interact in SAP system.
Pros
no micro management
Cons
keep up with own data-hard to take breaks
Productive all work no play
INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMay 7, 2015
Complete 100% visual inspections on railroad parts. Help the assembly line finish their work. Report any discrepancies in production to supervisors.
Hard work
Class B Chipper (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILApril 28, 2015
very dirty environment. very hard work, supervisors allow senior employees to do less and make new employees do most of the work. They will work you ten hour days six days a week then lay you off only to call you back over a year later.
Pros
having a job
Cons
most everything
Great work place
Assembly/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJanuary 14, 2015
great work place, easy hours,. I learned how to assemble bearing for a train, the bearing go across the world to other countries.It is good for there benefits.Some days they are organized and prepared and some days they arent
Pros
company lunch, health benefits
Cons
short breaks
Not good but not bad environment
Furnace Operator (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALJanuary 2, 2015
Taught me how to operate an furnace, how to lay bricks in a furnace. how to drive a forklift, bobcat, and JCB.
Best place i ever worked
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAOctober 15, 2014
Made parts for freight trains i was like a kid all over again started as a CNC operator then promoted to a shift supervisor.
Face pace production
BEHAVIOR SAFETY COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Bessemer, ALSeptember 30, 2014
Make sure all employees are using correct safe practices. I also make sure that the plant is operating safely and that issues that employees might have are addressed and dealt with properly.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
hot environment
Good benefits and fast paced job
Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 9, 2014
Typical day at Amsted is keep everything running. Must have good troubleshooting skills. This job is in a hot environment and you have to not mind getting really dirty.
Pros
being a self starter
Cons
to much running to the manger for this and that
Old and poorly managed
Environmental (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMay 14, 2014
Many issues and poor management in charge.....................
Very challenging atmosphere.
Welding Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 9, 2014
Manage all aspects of continuous improvements in the welding areas throughout the plant.
Union Assembly Line
Welder/ arc air (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 25, 2014
There I was at the front of the line, setting the speed and production quality for the line. I was looking forward to being promoted however the corporated atmosphere at the time made a change more beneficial at that time.
Pros
enjoyed the speed and being responsible for making the line run smoothly.
Cons
some office politics was less than productive.
fun with long hours
Crane operator (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 19, 2014
This job could be fun to work however long hours could take a toll as I would work 70 hours per week. The upside to that is I made very good money and was able to take care of my family very well. They also provided great benefits, such as medical and dental and life. Over all this was a great place to work.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
not alot of home time with the family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amsted Rail. Our community is ready to answer.