Amsted Rail

Amsted Rail Employee Reviews

Do not work here
Staff Accountant/Accounts Payable (Former Employee), Granite CityJune 18, 2015
Pros: Coworkers
Cons: Low Pay, Discrimination, No Benefits
I started here as temp in general accounting. I liked it there, but they wouldn't hire me because I was a female with children (that's what the director told me). I moved to accounts payable still as a temp. I figured I would learn all I could while I was there. I did processing for a month, and then was moved to working the phones. I handled over 45 phone calls per day and hundreds of emails. I also had to sort and deliver mail as well as log wayward checks and cash. I was worked to the death and reasonably struggled to keep up. I finally got a job elsewhere. I gave a two week notice, but I was cut short. The AP manager told the temp agency I was behind on my work and didn't care when in fact I did care and was doing my best to keep up with a job meant for two to three people while training a new person. The AP department has been behind for a long time. I didn't single handedly destroy the department as the manager claimed. Stay away. They will lure you in with the promise of a contract to hire job. They just use temps to throw under the bus for management's own short comings and inadequacies. The discrimination is in that place is viral, but nobody cares. I faced gender discrimination as well as religious discrimination. A supervisor made comments that I didn't look Aryan enough to have a German last name. The reason I don't look Aryan is because I am Jewish. Take my advice. Go work for a better company that has professionals and operates in the 21st century.
Production
Accounting (Former Employee), Granite ILJune 16, 2015
Pros: no micro management
Cons: keep up with own data-hard to take breaks
We are to process 150 invoice daily and anwers emails daily from vendors and Buyers. Answer phones calls daily. Heavey interact in SAP system.
Productive all work no play
INSPECTOR (Former Employee), Granite City, ILMay 7, 2015
Complete 100% visual inspections on railroad parts. Help the assembly line finish their work. Report any discrepancies in production to supervisors.
Hard work
Class B Chipper (Former Employee), Granite City, ILApril 28, 2015
Pros: having a job
Cons: most everything
very dirty environment. very hard work, supervisors allow senior employees to do less and make new employees do most of the work. They will work you ten hour days six days a week then lay you off only to call you back over a year later.
Great work place
Assembly/Machine Operator (Former Employee), Petersburg, VAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: company lunch, health benefits
Cons: short breaks
great work place, easy hours,. I learned how to assemble bearing for a train, the bearing go across the world to other countries.It is good for there benefits.Some days they are organized and prepared and some days they arent
Not good but not bad environment
Furnace Operator (Former Employee), Bessemer, ALJanuary 2, 2015
Taught me how to operate an furnace, how to lay bricks in a furnace. how to drive a forklift, bobcat, and JCB.
Best place i ever worked
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Camp Hill, PAOctober 15, 2014
Made parts for freight trains i was like a kid all over again started as a CNC operator then promoted to a shift supervisor.
Face pace production
BEHAVIOR SAFETY COORDINATOR (Current Employee), Bessemer, ALSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: hot environment
Make sure all employees are using correct safe practices. I also make sure that the plant is operating safely and that issues that employees might have are addressed and dealt with properly.
Good benefits and fast paced job
Electrical Technician (Current Employee), Petersburg, VAAugust 9, 2014
Pros: being a self starter
Cons: to much running to the manger for this and that
Typical day at Amsted is keep everything running. Must have good troubleshooting skills. This job is in a hot environment and you have to not mind getting really dirty.
Old and poorly managed
Environmental (Former Employee), Petersburg, VAMay 14, 2014
Many issues and poor management in charge.....................
Very challenging atmosphere.
Welding Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee), Greenville, SCApril 9, 2014
Manage all aspects of continuous improvements in the welding areas throughout the plant.
Union Assembly Line
Welder/ arc air (Former Employee), Granite City, ILMarch 25, 2014
Pros: enjoyed the speed and being responsible for making the line run smoothly.
Cons: some office politics was less than productive.
There I was at the front of the line, setting the speed and production quality for the line. I was looking forward to being promoted however the corporated atmosphere at the time made a change more beneficial at that time.
fun with long hours
Crane operator (Former Employee), Granite City, ILMarch 19, 2014
Pros: lots of overtime
Cons: not alot of home time with the family
This job could be fun to work however long hours could take a toll as I would work 70 hours per week. The upside to that is I made very good money and was able to take care of my family very well. They also provided great benefits, such as medical and dental and life. Over all this was a great place to work.
Fun place to work.
Assistant Pattern Maker (Former Employee), Granite City ILMarch 12, 2014
Learned many different tools. Knew what hours I was going to work.Very good atmosphere.
Chipper (Former Employee), Granite cityJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: pay insurance
Cons: hot temps dangerous
Neat place to work my coworkers were great great pay but not a secure job you never know when or if you will get laid off if you can handle the extreme temps then its for you
productive
Quality Inspector (Former Employee), Petersburg, VAJanuary 13, 2014
pushing product in a efficiency manner to make sure all customers were satisfied.
A lot of good people
Sample Prep Tech (Former Employee), Petersburg, VAJanuary 10, 2014
Working at Amsted Rail was a great experience. Learned a lot things and had great people helping me. I was upset when I lost that job because it was very easy and laid back
great place to work
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee), Hammond, INDecember 18, 2013
Pros: free meal if theres no injuries for the month
Cons: short breaks, bad health insurance
i dont have a problem with the work,i learn alot,the management stinks,co-workers are nice,the hardest part of my job is when the shift before you doesn't do their part...6-7 days a week,,,no personal life,no incentives,no match with 401k
Learn great work ethic.
Welder Inspector (Former Employee), Granite City, ILDecember 9, 2013
Pros: great work experience and health care
Cons: bad overhead
I worked on a assembly line as a welder welding train parts. We inspected and welded all deficiencies. I also cut all access scrap metal off with a torch. We used electric hoist to flip parts from side to side for inspection. I learned how to work fast and efficiently with team members. This job was union job, and was very typical that some people would work and others would not. I proved myself to everyone right away and earned a spot on the insensitive work line. We made extra money on or production and we were very successful.The hardest part was being able to deal with the extreme heat and dangers of sparks and burning torches around you.I enjoyed the satisfaction of hitting are production numbers as a team, and earning are extra bonus day in and day out.
Overall a great place to worrk
Inspector (Former Employee), Granite City, ILOctober 24, 2013
A typical day would start off with a meeting with managers then the safety gear and off the production line, to deal with the many different co workers, with different attitudes and the possible extreme weather.

Amsted Rail Salaries