Amsted Rail Employee Reviews

Great Experience, learned a lot
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILApril 5, 2017
Too many hours to work when the company is at its busy times. Then constant fear of lay offs when the work begins to slow. There was great pay and opportunity for advancement.
Pros
pay, opportunity
Cons
hours, slow downs
Family Oriented Enviorment, Nice Place to work
Quality control (Inspector) (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAApril 4, 2017
Great Company and they value their employees. The hardest part of the job was working 12 hours a shift. I learned a lot about quality and what to look for in products to pass our specifications.
Pros
Annual bonus
Cons
12 hour shifts
Process improvement gold mine
Controls Engineer (Current Employee) –  Groveport, OHMarch 8, 2017
30+year old plant that has recently begun a technology upgrade. We melt scrap steel and make train wheels. With multiple plants in the US and Canada there is a wealth of knowledge for anyone in the technological fields.
Pros
Lots of work to keep you busy.
Cons
Not a lot of time to do it in.
Productive workplace
Mechanic, Maintenance Machinist (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 1, 2017
I enjoy and appreciate my job at Amsted Rail. The only bad thing i could possibly say about the company is that they have too many layoffs.
Pros
Fun, friendly work environment. Good pay
Cons
Dirty foundry environment. Frequent layoffs
Productive workplace
Chipper (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILFebruary 22, 2017
Working with the grinders really did a toll on your hands after a while. The money was great. I had enough to pay my bills and take care of my family.
Great company to work for.
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2017
Amsted Rail is an incredible company. The people there are so nice and helpful. The office is very professional and clean while also being in a great location.
Fun and positive place to work
Burner (Former Employee) –  Granite City IllinoisJanuary 30, 2017
Really good place to work for the only downfall is they lay off a lot it sounds like they lay off about a year and they have a big turnover rate
Great job
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALJanuary 9, 2017
Great place to work and the pay was good. The long hours and days we had to work made it hard sometimes but you had to have a good work ethic. Supervision was OK.
Pros
Good pay good hours
Cons
Supervision
Very demanding job,but overall great place to work.
Sand Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 6, 2017
I would still be there if they hadn't,shut down.I wish we would have been given more notice about it.However,i was given the opportunity to move with the company,but couldn't just uproot my family to Kansas City.
Pros
Appreciation dinners were always given.
Cons
Sometimes would work 9 days or so before i get a off day.
It was somewhat a good work environment
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALDecember 29, 2016
It was a fun place to work at. Always stayed active at work. As long as you keep yourself busy those 12 hours went by fast. It was good money though. Working 12 hours six days a week was tiring. Some of the managers had a bad attitudes and didn't care to be there. Also some of them was rude and didn't want to hear what you had to
Pros
Health benefits and a good environment
Cons
Managers didn't really care to be there

Want to know more about Amsted Rail?

Ask a question
N/a
Chipper/Grinder (Former Employee) –  Granted city ILDecember 22, 2016
Chip and grind train parts, drive forklift ,make sure mwtal is gindided down properly. Also drive pallet jack, make sure equipment going down assembly line probably.
productive workplace.
Laborer.Machine Operator. tester. (Former Employee) –  Highland, INSeptember 12, 2016
a typical day at work was a consistent productive 8 hour shift. very smooth days. learned a lot about operating machines and safety. management was great. co-workers were very friendly and informative about every job I learned.
Pros
free drinks
Nothing to say
Electrician/Multi Craft (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALAugust 31, 2016
I have nothing to say concerning my employment with this company. This company shutdown and put a lot of people out of a job and no one seen it coming. So therefore I will say nothing of my time working at this company.
Good place to work met a lot of new friends and good pay
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INAugust 21, 2016
Work a ten hour shift do my inspections and test coil springs. Do visual checks. Learned how to use equipment for testing coil springs. Met new friends. Hardest part of the job was learning inspection. Once I learned the job then it was easy.
Productive environment with great benefits.
MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALAugust 17, 2016
Typical work day starts with morning meeting at 6:45am. Review health concerns and questions. Learned a lot at this particular job. Learned how to deal and work with a large number of different individual. Management team would do their best to meet our needs as employees. Toughest things about this job other than it being a very hot/cold environment was alooking one of the best things about the job: OVERTIME. Which equals a lot time spent at work rather than at home with family. But also a lot more compensation when working mandatory overtime.
Pros
Growth opportunities/good pay and benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Intern's reveiw
Environmental Intern (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJuly 11, 2016
Great place to work. Great people. Only have to get around the old way of thinking to get people to be aware of new laws. Had a good time working with my boss.
Good benefits, Market drives the workplace, lots of work or no work
Senior Lead Inspector (Current Employee) –  Bessemer, ALJune 14, 2016
The day to day operations were not predictable. Often times working 7 days a week 12 hours per day to keep up with Market demand. When the market is down working very minimal hours.
Worked with lots of great people who I will continue to keep in touch with.
The hardest part of the job was when equipment was down and not getting enough production.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Plant shutting down to idle for 6 months or longer
Great Place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMay 10, 2016
I certification through ASF Keystone Inc. My primary responsibilities include welds on couplers and knuckles that connect rail cars together. I also assist with coupler assembly and help prepare them for shipping.
Productive and fun workplace.
Horse Operator (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILMay 5, 2016
A typical day at Amstad Rail is fun and exciting. I learn something new everyday. Management is fun to work with. My co-workers are also fun to work with. Everyone gets along great. The hardest part of my job is lunchtime, mainly cause it's only 30minutes. The most enjoyable part of my job is completing my assigned task.
Great experience
Safety Intern (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 28, 2016
A very great company that really cares about each of its employee's. The upper management for this company constantly strived to improved its work culture.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amsted Rail. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval