Summary of Duties:
The Manager Business Analysis manages a team of Business Analysts to provide business analysis and requirements management support and leadership to Amtrak IT projects and programs. Works closely with business stakeholders and IT teams within the Shared Services Group, Business Solutions Offices (BSO), Chief Business Office (CBO), Chief Development Office (CDO), Chief Business Strategy Office (CSO) to implement best practices, governance, resource management and asset management. The Manager Business Analysis is accountable for and grows the Business Analysis Center of Excellence (BA COE) to develop business analysis
expertise and to grow the skills of business analysts whose focus will be on elicitation, analysis, documentation, review, and management of the requirements and artifacts throughout the project life cycle. Standardizes all deliverables, creating templates, guidelines, and quality checklists to help ensure the Business Analysts meets Amtrak IT standards.
The Manager, Business Analysis and Requirements Management will focus on Amtrak IT’s customers and to meet or exceed their expectations. This person will closely partner with Amtrak IT’s senior business stakeholders, customers and partners to ensure that their business goals and requirements are clearly documented, confirmed and verified throughout a project’s lifecycle, to develop processes to help them further define their business goals and product roadmaps, and to develop key performance indicators (KPIs) and surveys to measure the customer’s satisfaction. The Manager, Business Analysis and Requirements Management will also be a member of the PMO Council and will partner with the IT Project Management Office leader to review and approve all requirements documents and artifacts during all Requirements Quality Gate sessions.
- Manage a team of Business Analysts whose responsibility is to become thoroughly familiar with the business or operational processes of a business line, channel or business unit office, so that these can be translated into thorough business requirements for existing or new applications.
- Participate in the planning or project meetings in which the application development process is in early stages of defining business requirements. Ensure that the requirements of the business stakeholders, customers and partners are thoroughly and completely represented.
- Lead and facilitate the Requirements Review Board (RRB) that will be comprised of senior level business analysts that represents various business lines, to review project functional requirements and artifacts, and provide recommendations and feedback in order to improve the overall quality of the documents.
- Partner with the IT Project Management Office (PMO) to review and approve all requirements documents and artifacts during all Requirements Quality Gate sessions.
- Work closely with Quality Assurance (QA) and IT Project Management Office (PMO) to develop requirements traceability matrices and reports that will be used for audits and review gates.
- Ensure that the process of business requirement definition is high quality, is documented, and is consistent with corporate standards of internal controls and auditability.
- Develop guidelines and best practices to ensure that Business Requirements documents and artifacts are Testable Requirements and that sufficient amount of test cases can be created from them.
- Work closely with the Quality Control Director and Managers to define acceptance or entrance criteria for testing, and processes to verify that a requirement has been broken down to a level where it is precise, unambiguous, and not be divisible into lower levels.
- Conduct or oversee the development of detailed business definition and requirement development and their documentation for multiple applications.
- Work closely with Project Managers and Business Solutions Officers to review project resource needs, review skills, tools and domain experience, and assign the appropriate Business Analyst at the start of the project.
- Plan, document, manage, and evaluate the performance of subordinate staff. Provide professional/ technical development opportunities through assignments, mentoring, and training opportunities.
- Responsible for defining a business analyst’s career path, writing job descriptions, defining essential skills, and establishing a training curriculum for professional development.
- Coordinate with Project Managers, QA Leads, QC Leads and Development Leads during application development, testing, user acceptance testing and production to ensure that business requirements are consistently represented and satisfied.
- Provide governance for building, improving and leveraging business analysis best practices.
- Provide recommendations on productivity tools such as modeling tools and requirements collaboration or management tools.
- Primary resource and support for Business Analysts when they need guidance and when they want to ensure they are using a tool, template, or process correctly.
- Work closely with the Application Training team in the development of user manuals and assigns Business Analysts to assist in user training.
- Establish an infrastructure for tracking the deliverables and creating a mechanism whereby Business Analysts can research what assets exist and whether they could be useful for a new project.
- Maintaining the Enterprise Requirements Library and ensures that all completed requirements documents and artifacts are stored in the library.
- Facilitate and conduct annual Requirements Review sessions with both IT and Business Stakeholders to promote information sharing, transparency, and education for Amtrak IT’s newest systems, applications and solutions.
- Develop a Business Analysis skills, tools, industry experience and domain knowledge database in order to effectively assign the right Business Analyst to a project.
- Work with business stakeholders to find efficiencies in improving business processes, reduce waste, remove redundant and outdated processes, and improve overall customer satisfaction scores
- Streamline and redesign the Business Analysis Templates in order to reduce requirements management costs, increase quality and improve business stakeholder confidence and trust.
- Maintain the Business Analysis Team’s Resource Forecasting and Planning tool to proactively assign Business Analysts to projects.
- Maintain the Business Analysis and Requirements Management SharePoint site by ensuring all processes, training guides and templates are current, updating team calendars, updating issues and risks logs, and ensuring communications and reports are generated and published.
- Own various Business Analysis KPIs and performs solution planning and analysis and measure how many of the business objectives were achieved (Solution & Planning KPIs) and conduct independent peer reviews of the scope statements and assess a numerical score using predefined criteria. Finally, to implement other performance KPIs such as management and report performance on Stakeholder engagement (Stakeholder Engagement KPIs), Achieving business case benefits KPIs, Business process optimization KPIs, and Requirements Quality KPIs.
- Establish measurable individual and team objectives that are aligned with business and organization goals.
- Document and present performance assessments. Recognize and reward associates commensurate with performance.
- Implement organizational practices for staffing, EEO, diversity, performance management,
development, reward and recognition and retention.
- Bachelors degree in a technical discipline such as Computer Science, Information Technology, Systems Engineering, a related field, or specialized training or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrated related experience, including hands-on experience in building a Business Analysis Team or
building a Business Analysis Center of Excellence (BA COE).
- Expert knowledge of requirements elicitation, analysis and documentation.
- Expert knowledge of business analysis, quality assurance, and workflow tools and/or practices.
- Expert knowledge of business case development and presentation.
- Expert knowledge of technology solution assessment and validation.
- Effective professional relationship building skills.
- Ability to lead, design, and facilitate multiple concurrent workshops and deliver effective presentations that are valued by the client.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn existing business processes and combine knowledge from multiple disciplines in order to produce an optimal business solution.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and\or participate in multiple projects\assignments with medium to high degree of complexity.
- Possess the skills to initiate, evaluate, develop and influence users on adoption of solid, actionable recommendations.
- Understanding of the components of running a fiscally successful project.
- Understands technical design specifications. Assesses client needs utilizing a structured requirements process (gathering, analyzing, documenting, and managing changes) to assist in identifying business priorities and advises on options
- Excellent presentation and written communication skills.
- Ability to ensure compliance to guidelines, controls, policies, and procedures.
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills
- Effective negotiation and conflict management skills.
Preferred Work Experience:
- Business Analysis certifications such as the Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) are highly recommended.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification.
- Experience in the travel, hotel or airline industry.
- Demonstrated experience on managing team of Business Analysts that support a Travel Reservation System from airlines and hotels such as Apollo or Sabre.
- Demonstrated experience on managing team of Business Analysts that support IVR/VRU telephony systems, online booking or travel reservation websites, mobile device and smart phones
- Demonstrated experience on managing team of Business Analysts that support enterprise applications such as SAP, Ariba, IBM Maximo, Point of Sale (POS) Systems, Websphere, Java, Oracle, and .NET
- Demonstrated experience working with business owners to understand current processes and to document and prioritize functional requirements specifications, use cases, business processes and recommendations.
- Demonstrated experience assisting in the collection and consolidation of required information and data.
- Extensive years of relevant technical or business work experience.
- Demonstrated years of experience with HP Quality Center’s Requirements Module or similar requirements management tool.
- Extensive years of experience working with project managers to plan business analysis and highlight risks and issues.
- Extensive years of experience working with business users to define accurate, meaningful and measurable business cases, functional requirements, technical requirements, and use cases.
- Extensive years of experience working with the business owners to define acceptance criteria.
- Extensive years of experience partnering with business owners to ensure expectations and requirements are met and managed.
Amtrak is committed to equal employment opportunity for all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other protected characteristic.
Indeed - 15 months ago
copy to clipboard
Amtrak trains connect businesses and communities across the country and move America’s workforce toward the future. Amtrak employs...