Amtrak Employee Reviews

Excellent employer
Statistical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Beech Grove, INFebruary 17, 2017
Excellent benefits and salary. Very good place to work. Not much mobility opportunities. Lots of jobs with company posted in other locations but not many here in Indianapolis.
cool place
Coach Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 8, 2017
a lot of down time not enough work managers where ok not the greatest work was not hard but finding something to keep you busy was,the best thing I liked was being able to ride for free
Great benefits
Electric Traction Substation Employee Trainee (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAFebruary 7, 2017
Employees aren't friendly. Very slow paced and time consuming traveling from worksite to worksite. Poor communication between managment and work staff.
great place
Supervisor Commuter Operations (Current Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FL 33064February 6, 2017
I manage freight trains, Amtrak, and employees daily to meet Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) regulations. Also create logistical routes to ensure safe and efficient movement of trains. Communicate with numerous sources in the nation to assure the timely movement of train departures and arrivals.
Great opportunities in all fields
On Board Services, Lead Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 2, 2017
Amtrak was a great company to work for and helped me advance in my life as well as my career. There are many opportunities for advancements. You can work from anywhere in the country and your seniority carries with you.
Benefits
Productive and very exciting work environment
HR Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2017
Its very exciting working with people that takes your best interest to heart. It is an exceptional work environment and the people are awesome.
My typical day at work would be interacting with different people. Some new to the job and some that already works in the job but is moving forward with their careers. I've learned how to manage setting up interview sessions, how to conduct a helpful environment to potential candidates or those who are already employed. I do my job very well.
The hardest part of the job is having an answer for every candidate that call and does not receive a call back for the job that they have applied for. The most enjoyable part is being able to manage time and to have the ability to work with very important people. Such as: Conductors, Assistant Conductors, Managers etc.
Great source of transportation if you have time to sight see.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 30, 2017
Working with the public is a reward in it self. The work is not difficult it's pretty repetitive. These are union jobs and pay well. Employees in the company are in it for the long term. What makes the job challenging is the lack of team work, lack of communication between managers and employees, and lack of trust from managers towards the employees. This contributes to low moral and productivity. On the other hand one of the hardest part of the job is work with employees that are negative, some not all. For example you can go the extra mile for a customer and next to you is a co-worker being rude and demeaning towards a customer. Those actions alone would cause a hostile work environment. When passengers take the time to write a letter of commendation or sincerely thank you for the service, that is gratifying. Over all the company is as good as its own employees.
Strong working relationships
Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2017
Being on the road and working with various crews, you develop a family mentality. Your with your crew sometime more than your family.
Pros
See the country, meet interesting people, work with good people.
Cons
A lot of time spent away from home
room for growth , family like setting in the work place , benefits , concern for employees with programs to help ,
bridges and building mechanic (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2017
A typical day at Amtrak for an agreement employee looked like clock in at 7 . Foreman and supervisor give a extensive briefing on the work load for the day and safety hazards and rules for the day.
After briefing employees would check tools and job location to reassure safety rules were complied with. Once on the job location for the day the foreman in charge would then again give a safety briefing for that specific area of work and location. Lunch was given to the men at the 4 th hour for one half hour . After lunch work would resume until around 2:30 pm where at that time the work place would be cleaned up and tools would be put away in a timely and safe manner. Once job site was cleaned and left like it was found we would proceed back to base and wash up and clock out at 3:00 pm to make our departure home to our families.
Pros
safe work environment, family like setting, pay, hours, room for growth, encouragement on making it home safe to your family, team building skills, healthcare, overtime opportunities
Cons
management
the best railroad company in the USA
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Beech Grove, INJanuary 25, 2017
it was a joy to have been a part of Amtrak it great building the trains and boxcars and being able to travel for free was nice seeing the finished product offered a great sense of pride.
Pros
great pay and free travel
Cons
sometime dangerous had to watch out for others
Great dedicated people
Senior Solution Architect (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 20, 2017
I helped Amtrak migrate 13 applications from Solaris to Linux in over just 2 years. Everyone worked hard and diligently to make the project a success.
great career 100 percent travel
onboard services (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2017
great company, consumes a lot of time at home. Great opportunities, but lots and lots of sacrifice of personal time away from home and childeren.
amtrak
Master Plumber/Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 9, 2017
Typical day staff would service 3 to 4 trains, we learned how to test trains braking systems using 120 psi plant air and gauges to simulate train breaking. Worst and most incompetent management I've ever worked with new nothing about job. Co-workers where not mechanics most just laborers working as mechanics, the hardest part about the job was communicating with management, best part was going home
Pros
got paid every week at first
Cons
vary easy place to get killed, lots of incompetent employees
wonderful company
Carman Helper (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 4, 2017
able to take great pride in continuing the stellar reputation of amtrak. wonderful atmosphere, good training, fair supervision, I enjoyed working with amtrak
n/a
Coach Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2017
Working at Amtrak I learned the importance of safety and what it means to work with a great company. I always learned new things on a typical work day. Working with management and co-workers were a great experience for me.
Fun Place to work
Carmen/Car Inspector (Current Employee) –  Astoria, NYDecember 28, 2016
Interesting place to work there is never a dull moment. Love it and I really enjoy my time there. I would recommend this job to another person looking to have a company provide a good living for u
Welcoming company for an internship
Geometry Engineer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 27, 2016
Worked with a small group of engineers to plan construction work. Group was tight knit and welcoming. Great intern experience.
Pros
Educational, entry level, tight knit
Cons
Work force comprised mostly of 40+ y/o, very few new employees
interesting people
welder fabricator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 27, 2016
Amtrak is a steady job with room for advancement, the only thing they want out of employees is good work ethics, attendance,and don't get hurt. other than that its a good place to work.
Pros
alot of opportunies to learn
Cons
most people you work with are negative
Knowing your role is very easy
Trackman (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 23, 2016
Briefings are held at the beginning of the shift, then the teams head out into the field to perform the work. Dangerous if all safety requirements are not met.
What can I say about Amtrak
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 19, 2016
I started out at the Reservations Center in Riverside, aka "Payton Place". It was a place full of drama and I had my fair share. The pay was decent and the job was fairly easy. Management was completely horrible. There were a lot of people that needed to be retrained immediately. Lawsuits were a common practice there. I eventually moved to the Station in L.A. and became a Forklift Driver and Dock worker There was a little bit of drama there as well but it was reasonable. The pay was exceptional and the OT was awesome. I worked a lot of hours there but because of the fast paced job I was in, it felt like nothing. I then became a Linen Driver and in this capacity I had a truck that I drove back and forth from the station to the warehouse. It was a solo job so that was cool. Even though I didnt want to, I took a buyout from the company because it was in my best interest.
Pros
Good Pay, good hours room for advancement
Cons
Company outsourced a department so jobs were taken away.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amtrak. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval