Amtrak

Amtrak Employee Reviews

Excellent training and Fun Job
On Board Lead (Former Employee), new york, nyMay 17, 2015
Pros: salary benefits and tips were great. Along with traveling
Cons: unable to go decline a position once accepted, basically forced to stay in a
I loved working here. Exploring the country, meeting people who were new to traveling by trains and meeting train buffs ( those who knew much of trains) , they were all eager and happy, even in the worst of reasons for their travel. Making their experience an enjoyable one was much to my satisfaction.
Golden Handcuffs
On Board Services Attendant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 15, 2015
Pros: Job security (past probation); good work/life balance once you can hold a regular job.
Cons: Rampant nepotism (i.e. discrimination), incompetent management, accelerated budget cuts.
A good job if you have no prior work experience or secondary education. Unfortunately, the company is so mismanaged due to a preponderance of managers/supervisors who have no business sense, training or education. Also, the top half has no idea what the bottom half is doing or what we have to contend with.
Not to mention that Amtrak has been at the mercy of the Federal government since its inception because the company is not profitable. Amtrak has been hemorrhaging tax dollars for years.
However, if you can tolerate and accept the 'status quo' at this company and adapt to the lifestyle (odd hours & days, travel, etc.) then this could be a secure means of earning a living with decent benefits.
Productive fun work place
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 7, 2015
This company had many perks. If I could go back, I would. Management and co-workers were kind and respectful. There was upward mobility within the company. I learned geography, train status, how to drive a forklift, customer service and patience.
Stability and Great Benefits
Reservation Sales Agent/Payroll Timekeeper (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 5, 2015
Pros: Stable Company and Great Benefits.
Cons: Hours Not Flexible
I worked for Amtrak for over 10 years and worked to positions. It was a pleasant work atmosphere and great pay, but the hours were not flexible and I had two babies and needed a more flexible position after 10 years. I assisted customers with travel plans. In payroll I handled all time cards for the West Coast. I dealth with any payroll issues and inputted all the time cards. My duties also included filing, answering inquiries and accounting.
Excellent pay,health care, and retirement benefit
Electrician (Current Employee), Miami, FLMay 1, 2015
Pros: awards for perfect attendance, gym, and pay
Cons: finding where cars are supposed to be when not in my designated area
When the train assigned to me is on time it makes the rest of the day productive. I get along well with my co-workers. The hardest part is when its raining or too hot. I work under the pit and water splashes on my face and when its too hot ....its uncomfortable being expose to high temperature outside. I do love that they provided employees with a gym we can use.
Positive work experience
Manager of Operations (Customer Service) (Former Employee), PhiladelphiaApril 23, 2015
My work experiences at AMTRAK were all very positive. There were many opportunities for advancement in all functional areas. Salary was a little low for the expectations however the experiences I gained out weighed the salary deficit..
great company to work for.
COACH CLEANER (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYApril 15, 2015
Amtrak is an Excellent company to work for,Safety comes first,great service,the co-worker are very reaible and hard workers and Team players.
Good not Great
Director, Industry Alliances (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 14, 2015
Pros: Great work/life balance
Cons: Stubborn work atmosphere, not forward thinking
You have an opportunity to grow, but Senior Management is often treated like royalty and it is not encouraged to disagree. Dealing with HQ is often a case of the emperor has no clothes, particularly with the Executive Team
Typicial work place
Mail Bagggage and Express Foreman (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 12, 2015
Pros: Great pay.
Its a job were you must follow order, and every department supervisor is you boss. Long hours and must be very productive.
no advancement options in pittsburgh pa
Electrician (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 17, 2015
good work place, loved the work, worked 12am-8am, overtime good.
co workers all men, giving to others without looking for personal gain. safety protocols
Fun work place
Sunnyside Yard, N.Y. ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee), 39-29 Honeywell street, Long Island city, NY 11101March 12, 2015
Pros: benefits, retirement pensions, 401k plan avail.
Cons: 20 minute lunch, no use of phones on property
Changing out of florescent bulbs and ballast of all types , which include lighting fixtures. all experience learned where all tied into the electrical field in the railroad business. team effort.THE hardest part , all replacement parts required to complete daily tasks are located in a separate facility, which takes 3 hours to deliver.
Great
Electric Traction Line Foreman (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 24, 2015
Great place to get established. and to support your family, as well as set your life goals... made a lot of my dreams come true
Challenging environment.
Safety Manager and Coach Cleaner (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: learned adaptive, protective, and survival techniques.
Cons: dark and negative enivronment.
Union environment bred conflict, animosity, and distrust. Poor ergonomics, labor, and time management. High level of risk exposure with poor implementation of relevant corrective processes. Operations run with small percentage of success. Operations making a profit would be a surprise. I learned to be an agent of change and used my voice to minimize safety hazards, risks of injury, and misuse or damage of equipment and resources. I accomplished this by aligning myself with other employees of similar vision and attitude. The mechanism of unionized environments are special and make slow determinations of advancement opportunities.
very good company but hard to advance not that much on the job training.
MD (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: graet company
Cons: more one on one with staff to see the operation.
wish mangement would talk with staff more to see how the operations is going need more training on variours jobs.
SAFE AND PLEASURABLE EXPERIENCE FOR THE PASSENGERS IS ALWAYS THE GOAL.
LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER PASSENGER (Former Employee), TOLEDO,OHIOJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: excellent pay and benefits
Cons: must work weekends, holidays, nights and snowstorms.
OPERATED PASSENGER EQUIPMENT TOL TO CHI AND RETURN 3 TIMES PER WEEK.....NO DAY WAS EVER BORING !
THIS WAS A FUN, REWARDING AND CHALLENGING JOB AS A LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER.
Very challenging job, it was an honor to have it.
Environmental Coordinator (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FloridaJanuary 28, 2015
Never a dull day, many challenges and opportunities to excel and learn.
Great experience to work with productive and innovative people.
QA Analyst/Tester (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2015
A typical day starts with a quick stand up meeting with developers followed by the quick QA team meeting to provide the update and gather the feedback which followed by the work on requirement review or Test case writing, or execution depends on which phase of SDLC we are in. Time was never enough, and that was the most challenging part to get an approval from business; even though, few times we succeeded to get an approval, most of the time we (QA team, developers team, Business analyst, PM etc) all had to work as one group to find a solution to deliver the project on time, and when we met the dead line that is the most enjoyable part of the job. It works like a fuel for the next project. It gives me confidence as well as more energy to accept new challenges and accomplice the next project.
Highly productive workplace
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: convenient work locations
Cons: short breaks and lunches
Multitasking position requiring high level of productivity amid a fast paced environment with exceptional coworkers. The hardest part of the job was not being able to implement new, cost-saving procedures that would have been more productive. The most enjoyable part of the job was resolving an unusual, stressful situation to the satisfaction of all parties involved.
This is a very independent position.
Caretaker (Current Employee), Erie, PAJanuary 14, 2015
Keep customer areas clean, keep a watchful eye to any trouble that may occur amongst customers. All sidewalks and tracksides must be shoveled and kept clean at all times. Stay patient waiting for late train arrivals.
You can learn a lot here, it is more than Passenger Rail
Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: rail privledges
Cons: relies on government funds
Very interesting and complex passenger rail entity. I learned a lot while working here. You learn a lot about government relations, infrastructure, and equipment amongst many other things.

Most enjoyable part of the job was learning about and experiencing many aspects of the railroad first hand.

The industry is changing and demanding a "new" workforce as a lot of railroaders are on their way to retirement. I had a good experience here.

1 2 3 4 5

About Amtrak

Amtrak trains connect businesses and communities across the country and move America’s workforce toward the future. Amtrak – Read more

Amtrak Salaries