Amtrak Employee Reviews in United States

Twilight Train
LEAD SERVICE ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Union StationNovember 5, 2015
I enjoy travelling, I really enjoy travelling while being paid. I appreciate providing great customer service to those who appreciate great customer service. I dislike working for an employer where the work culture is suspect. Working at Amtrak voided and illusions of grandeur. I wish to be respectful of my former work peers and those within Amtrak who provided guidance, however, the hardest part of the job was adjusting to train culture, being overworked, and accountable for things out of my total control. I apply the one year grace period to my departure from Amtrak.

I can say in all honesty, the personal challenges I was encountering at the time, and the work stressors, assisted me my pursuit for true happiness.
Pros
Great selection in travel hotels, Pay and Healthcare Benefits
Cons
Limited Personal time, lack of company support with career growth, weak union, egoism with management
A wonderfuly balanced place to work
Motor Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMarch 1, 2016
It was a wonderfully balanced place to work. The other employees were great. Some of the Foremen were good., The benefits package was excellent. The pay was great and the chance for advancement was there for the taking. I was young and dumb and didn't realize what I had when I had to it.
Pros
A Great Place to work
Cons
Some management doesnt like the unions
Productive and friendly place to work.
Reservations Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 17, 2016
Amtrak Is a Great Company To work for. Safety Is First everything else is second. #1 Train Company in the USA. A Lot of room for advancement. Great Reputation for accommodating Passengers and fulfilling all of there Traveling needs.
Pros
Good Pay, Good Health Benefits, room for advancement
Cons
short breaks, fast pace.
Safe and Fun place to work
C&S Helper (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 29, 2015
A typical day at Amtrak consisted of daily job and safety briefings. Safety, of course, is paramount to any job. In my time there, I've learned that it's a very safety conscious environment who doesn't take any shortcuts. If it meant that a task was put off until it was safe to proceed, that measure was taken.
Management delegated through their foremen to get the jobs completed. They seldom attended or observed us while working on the tracks. My co-workers were very entertaining and a joy to work with. We all molded very well in accomplishing tasks at hand. the most difficult part of the job was the manual digging of railroad ballast. It was very challenging penetrating the surface and getting to a desired depth. It was, however, a very desirable environment with terrific benefits and a family friendly work schedule.
Pros
Schedule and pace
Cons
Manual trenching and digging
Fun and productive
Coach Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 2, 2016
I was employed here for five years. Personal reasons are what forced me to quit. It is a great place to work, but does have its downfalls when it come to advancement.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
impossible to advance to another craft
Good Work / Life Balance
Senior Director, Payment Cards (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 2, 2016
Good work / life balance and fair compensation. Company trying to operate more like a business and less like a government entity.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Politics
Great pay and benefits
Train Attendant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 24, 2015
Amtrak is a great place to start off and see where you want to go from there. It pays very well and the benefits are very competitive. I do have to say though that you will be working LONG hours. Especially if you are on-board services. I've worked as long as 24-25 hour shifts and slept as little as 1 hour in between days. Its rough and definitely not for anyone but a great stepping stone towards greater things.
Pros
Great pay. Good benefits.
Cons
LONG work hours, on call, terrible management.
ok company to work for
Reservation Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 15, 2015
The pay rate is good. I ve been working with Fortis for almost a year now and I could not be happier. The management is great with helping you turn your weaknesses into strengths and helping you grow within the company. The company culture is awesome. I moved here knowing no one and this office is my family, we have team nights every week. I love coming into work everyday; everyone is so motivated with a strong work ethic
Supportive Work Environment
Claims & Counsel Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 29, 2015
Encouraging co-workers and supportive work environment. They are concerned with the advancement of their younger employees and are determined to help them climb the ranks into management. All that I have encountered have been incredibly helpful, invested, and pleasant.
Golden Handcuffs
On Board Services Attendant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2015
A good job if you have no prior work experience or secondary education. Unfortunately, the company is so mismanaged due to a preponderance of managers/supervisors who have no business sense, training or education. Also, the top half has no idea what the bottom half is doing or what we have to contend with.
Not to mention that Amtrak has been at the mercy of the Federal government since its inception because the company is not profitable. Amtrak has been hemorrhaging tax dollars for years.
However, if you can tolerate and accept the 'status quo' at this company and adapt to the lifestyle (odd hours & days, travel, etc.) then this could be a secure means of earning a living with decent benefits.
Pros
Job security (past probation); good work/life balance once you can hold a regular job.
Cons
Rampant nepotism (i.e. discrimination), incompetent management, accelerated budget cuts.
Uptempo workplace dealing with travelers from around the world
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 25, 2016
Arrive at work, make sure my appearance is positive and presentable. Swipe my I.D card to punch in. Great my co-workers. See my manager to get updates on whats happening at the station. Stand at my post and start my work day helping passengers down the steps to the trains if I'm doing customer service. If I'm assigned Red Cap then i will help passengers with their luggage. The most difficult part of the job is the long periods of standing which can occur during disruptions. The most positive part of the job is the interaction with the customers and co workers.
Pros
Friendly environment, long breaks, overtime
Cons
not enough overtime
Great Company-- Be flexible
Customer Service Lead Agent (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 14, 2016
If you're working in one of the two call centers you'll notice that there are always opportunities to advance. Your first year will be doing reservations and sales but as soon as you've done your time, new opportunities will open up.

There will be bad days, sometimes the customers just aren't in a good mood and there are accidents that occur. However, your coworkers are there to support you. Most of the supervisors are great. Upper management is working on making themselves more visible but you will very rarely see them around the office.

Overall a great company. Being part of the union is helpful. If you have the desire to move within the company, you'll find it here.
Pros
Frequent incentives, great coworkers, strong benefits
Cons
Angry customers, holidays based on seniority, frequent understaffing
First 6 months
Lead Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  AtlantaFebruary 11, 2016
Very great company to work for. Enjoy the benefits and the work environment. Again...great company to work for. I plan for lots of longevity within the company.
Lazy employees/ Lazy management
Foreman II (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 17, 2016
Lazy employees/ Lazy management.
Very few good hardworking employees, but those few carry the rest.
Hardest part of job is getting employees to work. The job is very easy, but management has allowed employees to become lazy.
Excellent compensation/ benefits
Signal Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 23, 2016
EXCELLENT COMPANY TO WORK FOR......Subpurb training and mentoring of needed craft they give you Instructions that Govern the Maintenance , operation and testing of all Signal Systems and Apparatus Maintained by Amtrak Forces.....5 star Rating compensation and Benefits
Pros
GAIN PLENTY OF WORK EXPERIENCE
Always on the train going somewhere
ARASA Temporary Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2015
Time management is something you really need to have down packed here with the railroad and also to be ready for a change and adapt to it really quickly inorder to get the job done. Part of the culture here is to get on the job training with good customer service, being away from family memebers days at time while on the road, and how to react during a derailment. Working with the co-workers here as a team as we are able to get the job done and learning how to do other jobs within the company.Traveling is the BEST part of the job being able to see different parts of the USA and being able to stay in other cities and enjoying the view that it has to offer also going across the US and seeing how beautiful it really is.
Pros
Healthcare is good
Cons
Finding personal time when you can first year
shift work was hard
Electrical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 28, 2016
Learned a lot about railroads and rolling stock. It was very interesting working with the very old and new equipment. Advancement was very slow.
Pros
Learning new equipment
Cons
shift work
Productive and Professional Work Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 14, 2016
Great company for people of all ages to work for. Worked for almost 29 years and grew tired and weary of commuting and also became too fast paced for me.
Pros
Great Salary, Incentives, Heatlth/Dental Care
Cons
Lunches
Very good
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 12, 2016
VERY GOOD COMPANY

• Duties also included configuring and upgrading the workstations to Service Pack 3 for local and regional offices throughout the New England area.
• Troubleshooting and triage of various proprietary and non-AETNA applications to users and providers nationwide.
• Provided network administration functions like mapping network drives, pinging workstations and servers, troubleshooting using various TCP/IP commands.
Flexible work/job balance but environment is unstable
Project Manager/ Scheduler/Change Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 10, 2015
Job/Work Life Balance is awesome! Compensation/Benefits have been significantly trimmed down over the last few years. As a result, there is a high turnover rate. There is a lack of job security and the company has undergone numerous layoffs with both contractors and full time employees.

4.2