Amtrak

Amtrak Employer Reviews

Highly productive workplace
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: convenient work locations
Cons: short breaks and lunches
Multitasking position requiring high level of productivity amid a fast paced environment with exceptional coworkers. The hardest part of the job was not being able to implement new, cost-saving procedures that would have been more productive. The most enjoyable part of the job was resolving an unusual, stressful situation to the satisfaction of all parties involved.
This is a very independent position.
Caretaker (Current Employee), Erie, PAJanuary 14, 2015
Keep customer areas clean, keep a watchful eye to any trouble that may occur amongst customers. All sidewalks and tracksides must be shoveled and kept clean at all times. Stay patient waiting for late train arrivals.
You can learn a lot here, it is more than Passenger Rail
Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: rail privledges
Cons: relies on government funds
Very interesting and complex passenger rail entity. I learned a lot while working here. You learn a lot about government relations, infrastructure, and equipment amongst many other things.

Most enjoyable part of the job was learning about and experiencing many aspects of the railroad first hand.

The industry is changing and demanding a "new" workforce as a lot of railroaders are on their way to retirement. I had a good experience here.
Good and a good working enviroment.
Machinist Technician (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: never have to work outside in bad weather conditions.
Cons: little or minimal racial discrimination against minorities
Report on duty on time and clock in by using your punch in card .Attend safety briefing meetings where our supervisors read out daily safe rules and out job assignments for the day.
After the safety briefing all workers are expected to report to their assigned locations and complete their jobs for the day.
You work with your co workers as a team in accomplishing your daily work assignment .
The hardest part of the job is when on rear cases your co workers on the same craft mark off from work leaving you with a lot of work to be done within a required time frame ,as we work on revenue trains.
The most enjoyable part of the job is ,friendly and family environment.
I will be back.. to finish my career
Manager Of Field Opertion System Production (Former Employee), NEC System WideJanuary 6, 2015
7 days a week
Helped me excel in the industry
Still stay connected to every one met over 30 years
Prep Cook (Former Employee), Presque Isle, MEJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, benifits
Cons: workstudy
Work study position through my college, decent environment great work ethic, learned a lot of skills.
Interesting work but insensitive and unsupportive management
Sr. Director Financial Systems (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 21, 2014
Pros: challenging and interesting work. able to learn from experienced people
Cons: limited resources. limited growth opportunities. unsupportive management
Amtrak has changed over the past few years. Major cost cutting actions have resulted in big bonuses for upper management and a severe reduction in benefits for the majority of the work force. Seniority is now viewed as a negative by the management and pressure to retire early is high.
Challanging environment with Fun loving people
Sr. SAP MM / eWM Consultant (Current Employee), Wilmington, DEDecember 13, 2014
Challanging environment
Scope for learning new technology
Only A good place to work if you have no family and no life
Lead Service Attendant-Diner (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 7, 2014
Pros: tips, meeting people
Cons: never can plan your life, won't know your days off
A great job if you really don't have a life, a family and don't want one...
busy
Environmental worker (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 27, 2014
ok job just need more money. umder a contract with a company not Amtrak
Fast past production oriented with advancement.
Trackmen, Machine Operator, Foremen (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 15, 2014
Great job with advancement and growth within the company. Long hours but fun family oriented values.
hard on family
traveling head chef (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 6, 2014
Pros: great money
Cons: no time for family or health
long trips, too many delays on road ,no sick days , you learn a lot about people and stress
Entrepeneurial business developer and sales designer brings life and fun and loyalty to business growth.
Certified Passenger Conductor (Current Employee), Oakland, CANovember 5, 2014
Exhibiting strong leadership in highly competitive and challenging markets is no easy feat in itself but, being able to show significant revenue, product and business growth takes innovation, creativity and learning how to listen to your management, customers and employees. Being involved with your people, and knowing their business and being able to bring them in to a team fold is important.

I learned you need a keen inspectors eye for quality, innovation and team development. I learned that to lead teams of stake holding customers, sales teams and operational professionals takes planning, executing commercial marketing strategies and sales campaigns.

Communication and clear understanding of what is expected and the goals that need to be accomplished. This takes significant team and personal development and a path to organizational improvement. Gaining trust and respect is paramount.

The hardest part of the job is the people. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. This is a paradox that makes me want to get up in the morning and know I am going to have a good time by being able to help, nurture train and just be there for my people for whatever their needs are professionally and maintain an understanding of their personal accomplishments and entanglements. Its the people that drive any business. I know how to motivate and make others feel good about themselves and want to contribute beyond their job description. Having fun at what you are doing is a great motivator.
great company
Material Control Clerk (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 1, 2014
loved working there very recommended
union are always great apply and get the job your going to love it
Was able to travel anywhere in the country i wanted free of charge
Human Resource Director (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 31, 2014
Pros: my family travelled anywhere free of charge
Cons: to see workers get displaced
MY job was very rewarding and the co-workers were extremely lovely to work with
WORKING AS A SECURITY GUARD at Yankee Stadium in New York
Trianee Red Cap Assistant (Former Employee), NJOctober 27, 2014
Pros: free uniforms
Cons: breaks were only 20 minutes.for six hours.
we enter at the game day entrance to swipe our id cards in the data base system. Then we go to the female locker rooms to get dress. using our umiforms which is usually polo & T shirts /Khaki pants. After we WENT to Roll CALL IN OUR SECTION WERE WE ARE POSTED FOR THE SEASON. THE FANS ARRIVE A HALF OF HOUR ONCE WERE POSTED AT THE GATES. WE GET INSTRUCTION FROM OUR SUPERVISOR ON CROWD CONTROL. TO KEEP CALM AT ALL TIMES MAKE SURE THE FANS ARE RELAXED BECAUSE ITS VERY HECTIC UNTIL THE FIRST PITCH.WE ARE ONE TEAM ONE DREAM. TOGETHER WE GET THE JOB DONE. GOING ACCORDING TO THE POLICY & PROCEDURES AT YANKEE STADIUM. WHEN THE GAME STAARTS WE ACTUALLY GET TO WATCH FROM THE 4TH INNING UNTIL THE NINTH INNING. bUT AT THE SAME TIME WE'R OBSERVING THE FANS.
Not an easy job
Lead Service Attendant (LSA) (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2014
Pros: free train travel, great benefits
Cons: no technology
A typical day at Amtrak would be getting up at 2:30am and not returning home till almost midnight. The hardest part of the job is the lack of technology and passengers were the best part of the job. Co-workers were great .
Productive and fun environment
Reservation Sales Agent (Current Employee), philadelphia, PASeptember 23, 2014
Very cheerful office. everyone was nice and helped you if you needed help with anything.
Keep your nose to the grindstone!
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee), Riverside, CASeptember 22, 2014
Pros: great salary, benefits, co-workers
Cons: strict adherance to breaks, clock in/out times, low morale
This is a great place to work, even though a lot of the fun stuff (contests, company picnic, Olympics, holiday party) was discontinued due to budget cuts. This had a HUGE effect on morale (especially since management had their own swanky holiday party).

Management is concerned with your stats only, and you are being monitored at all times. If you do your job as you're trained to do, this is not a problem. If you have to have many bathroom breaks, this may be a problem, as you can only be off the phone so many minutes before it counts against company time.

The salary and benefits are great, and co-workers are the best (both management and rank and file).
Great place to work, I called working with this company a College education.
Ticket Agent (Former Employee), New Orleans, LouisianaSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: short breaks, could not wear sandals.
I worked all positions when I started in 1990. From selling tickets, working in the office for the General Manager, to driving a fork lift.
I had the opportunity to work these position and more not listed, but gained a wealth of knowledge.

1 2 3 4 5

About Amtrak

Amtrak trains connect businesses and communities across the country and move America’s workforce toward the future. Amtrak – Read more