Amtrak

Amtrak Employer Reviews

Keep your nose to the grindstone!
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee), Riverside, CASeptember 22, 2014
Pros: great salary, benefits, co-workers
Cons: strict adherance to breaks, clock in/out times, low morale
This is a great place to work, even though a lot of the fun stuff (contests, company picnic, Olympics, holiday party) was discontinued due to budget cuts. This had a HUGE effect on morale (especially since management had their own swanky holiday party).

Management is concerned with your stats only, and you are being monitored at all times. If you do – more... your job as you're trained to do, this is not a problem. If you have to have many bathroom breaks, this may be a problem, as you can only be off the phone so many minutes before it counts against company time.

The salary and benefits are great, and co-workers are the best (both management and rank and file). – less
Great place to work, I called working with this company a College education.
Ticket Agent (Former Employee), New Orleans, LouisianaSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: short breaks, could not wear sandals.
I worked all positions when I started in 1990. From selling tickets, working in the office for the General Manager, to driving a fork lift.
I had the opportunity to work these position and more not listed, but gained a wealth of knowledge.
Good Pay
Ticket Agent (Former Employee), VariousSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: wages, free travel
Cons: union enviroment, poor management, reactive not proactive
The company mentality is; keep your mouth shut, eyes closed and collect your great hourly wages. Being MEDIOCRE is the goal of this employer and yes while it is very true the average compensation is far higher than any other in a similiar industry it comes at a price in which involves sacrificing your integrity. The union is a joke and practically useless. – more... Management is filled with a bunch of individuals who have made it a career kissing rear ends which has landed them in remarkable positions of power and is ultimately abused. – less
Outstanding Company
Station Accounting Clerk (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 9, 2014
Pleasant place to create new relationships with customers and co-workers... Excellent benefits and 401K
Typical Large Corporation
Machinist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 23, 2014
Pros: great workers in the shops.
Cons: management
Front line workers, are what make the company, but management
has their own agenda. And there is constant conflict between
the workers, and management. On The Job Injury, means Termination, unless you file a lawsuit.
boarding customer
Loader Operator forklift (Former Employee), Seattle, WAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: free food travel
Cons: bad weather and upset customers
Boarding and detraining customer at there stops meeting people form all over the place,taking food orders helping prople.
Subject to change
Sr Director (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 16, 2014
Pros: free train rides for you and your family, and a very real ability to have a 40-hour a week job (or close to it).
Cons: the salaries are generally under market, and you are working at a company that is subject to the political winds.
With the mix of 30-year railroad veterans and people who were just hired in the new wave of management, your experience at Amtrak is a complete roll of the dice. You could ride out a career effecting very little change, or you could make your own job and blaze your own trail.
very interesting place to work in the outside in almost every weather condition .
Trackman and Machine Operator (Former Employee), New Haven, CTAugust 12, 2014
Pros: all bennifits from vaction to medical
Cons: again there was nothing bad to say about a railroad .
Look over what had to be done, getting instructions from your foreman , and seeing the final results . All my co-worker's were learning the same thing you were so we all realized we had to be friends and work as a team . To see that train come speeding down the track and knowing you were the cause of that was such a great feeling . The hardest part – more... of the job was it was always 10 - 20 degrees hotter on the track than it was just a few feet away off of the tracks . Learned more about safety than I think you can learn any wheres and it was strictly followed by everyone . – less
If you love you travel its great.
Assist passengers when getting (Former Employee), Miami, FLAugust 10, 2014
If your single and love to travel and make good money then this job is perfect.
Friendly Work Environment
LSA Lead Service Attendant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 6, 2014
Pros: great scenery working on the train
Cons: short breaks on some routes
Upon working learned alot about their system and Familial Comraderie. Great People to Work with Management and Employees are very eager to help and implement guidelines and tasks efficiently.
Learning about Time Management is a plus and you will recieve quite a hands on experience . Co Workers that you meet are friendly, Management is amiable and nice. – more... Enjoyable part is the many places you see and people you meet . Hardest part being away from family for more than 2 days. All in all grateful for the opportunity to work for a stellar company . Just realized it wasnt for me. . – less
Great company to work for!
Manager (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAAugust 1, 2014
Pros: travel extensively, great coworkers/employees
Cons: union/manager issues
My day is a combination of administrative responsibilities and briefing crew members before they start out on a trip. I also travel with the crews from time to time to oversee their safety and service delivery while they assist passengers. As with any job, there are good and bad employees both in rank and as coworkers. I try to understand people as – more... individuals, rather than assume all in a group are the same. This has helped me be successful in my position. The hardest part of my job is the balance of all of my responsibilities. I tend to take on extra tasks even when I know there are time constraints. I just want to see the company succeed in its goals. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing passengers greet their family members when they get off the train. In all these years, it is the most rewarding when we succeed in connecting people. – less
Friendly work environment/ Helpful
Travel Services Specialist to present (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 1, 2014
Pros: networking
Cons: uncertainty about the ability to advance in the company
A typical day at work consists of minimal supervision, responding to emails, phone calls, walk-ins and other requests.
I work in an office space with mostly cubilcles and surrounding personal offices. The employees tend to speak with one another to help ease any stresses that prevent them from achieving their tasks. I make the best out of any job; therefore – more... my typical work day seems pretty simple even when it's demanding.
Management could be a little more proactive but overall, the management is alright.
The hardest part of the job is trying to get people to understand the policies which I follow. I didn't realize that many people don't like to read or do research before telling someone No. Many of our policies allow those requests but some people would rather just say No over providing an accurate answer. Those escalations usually come to me and I have to try to find a way to relay the correct response to someone without making them feel incompetent.
I get job out of knowing that I helped someone. Many people tend to dump their responsibilities on my department when they are uncertain. I know it can be a bit frustrating as a customer to be constantly thrown around and feeling like you haven't gotten any results. I try to make my desk be the last call for them. If the issue can be resolved and the customer seems happy...that's where my job resides. – less
i am very extol to work with this company.
SQL Developer /DBA (Current Employee), Silver Spring, MDJuly 24, 2014
very good company to work,i am very extol to work with this company.
The yard job was the best position at AMTRAK.
Conductor (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJuly 23, 2014
Pros: the benefits n the pay.
Cons: didn't get 2 retire there.
There is a lot of good people at AMTRAK. The yard job wasn't hard even thought it was a 12hr. shift. Working the yard was like putting a puzzle together everyday. I loved the team i worked with. A great bunch of guys. Total professional who loved there job.
productive
Payroll Entitlement Clerk (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 23, 2014
Pros: ride for free
Cons: only could ride for free on the amtrak if the days fell in that bracket
busy, productive, manager was great, co-workers very helpful.
current employee oakland yard
mechcanincal (Current Employee), oakland caJuly 20, 2014
Pros: easy job, good retirement, benefits
Cons: typical union politics, management and median pay
Amtrak is full of old rail road workers who haven't had to work a hard day in the past 20 years. they have been severely underpaid for years (in the oakland ca yard for ca rates; that are dictated by cross country rates) leaving them completely unenthusiastic about their jobs and most just show up for a pay check like a high school teacher. To get new – more... blood in the yard they promise you the world, but fail to deliver, leaving you as jaded as the mindless worker drones that have been there for 20 plus years.
What it breaks down to is the good and bad

Good: you will be there for 8 hours but usually do about 4 hours of work.
Most everyone on the yard who have been there for years get along and like each other, MOST! If your of moderately more intelligence some people may start to talk about you to bring you down and bolster their own insecurities.
Holiday pay is 2.5 times pay
medical for now is 200 for 1 person or 100, co pay is $20 for doc visit to aetna $35 for specialist and prescription cost can vary. I guess thats good for todays standards.
The yard is union and all the tools and supplies are readily available for free in fact you are discouraged from bringing in your own amtrak un approved tools.
The job is easy, plain and simple, the hardest part is getting there on time.
The cons are management will throw you under the bus to save their own hyde's
Almost None of management comes from a management background so they can be very unprofessional and do not posses the skills for conflict resolution or how to properly delegate.
Your gonna work 3rd shift 11pm-7am no matter what when you start with no pay differential. Oh yeah the pay is $27.83 a big pay cut for me.
you won't get weekends off either not until a few years in. Then your hours will be changed or can be changed from week to week when do have a set schedule that you have to bid on and win, that can be abolished by management at anytime or you can have that job taken from you by a more senior person if there job was abolished or they came back form an injury.
And then theres the insecure guy who isn't smart enough to advance or just is to lazy to try and doesn't like the fact you are and making him look bad so he will talk bad about you, you know the typical lazy union slob. – less
supportive and fun work place
RSO Agent (Former Employee), Riverside, CAJuly 4, 2014
Pros: clean bathrooms and great break room inside and outside
Cons: part time only
Our trainers were amazing and had plenty of experience in the work place. They would always encourage us and would make it fun and educational during our nesting training. The desk and chairs are very comfortable. Safe to Safer teach us on how to uses them appropriately and is constantly checking that we are using our computer monitor, chair and desk – more... appropriately. They also have Red Block 8 and they are Union. – less
greatly understaffed, limited room for growth, lack of accountability
Machinist Mechanic (Current Employee), Miami, FLJuly 4, 2014
Pros: amtrak is a veteran friendly job
Cons: there is no orm safety, shift
When you come with a certian type of work ethic you can become easily burnt out. I am always determined in getting the job done in a timely manner and safely which has had a negative impact with older empoyees and some management as they may have friendships through working together over time. I don't mind their friendships but work and personal should – more... be seperated and we all must be held to the same standard of getting the job done.
The hardest part of the job is the days and shift, the crazy shift schedule makes it hard for family time
There is no ORM safety, you are working on trains, Management will have you take a class during the day and still expect you to work you shift into the night which is not safe when you working on trains until 4 am. You are not just putting your life at risk it, thousands of others. – less
Productive organization
Locomotive Electrician/Journeyman (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 1, 2014
I learned to work closely in a team environment. The most enjoyable thing about my job was working to ensure the safety of passengers.
BEST PLACE I HAVE EVER WORKED
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Wilmington, DEJune 28, 2014
The life of the rails is no joke. Safety is number 1. No one understands a railroader like another railroader. You will see your co-workers more than your family at times but you can always take the family on a great vacation. Moving up the ladder/rails is always an option and you will always have support from Management to encourage you. Beaware of – more... co-workers that feel like you are progressing more than they are....they will sabbotage you! – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Amtrak

Amtrak trains connect businesses and communities across the country and move America’s workforce toward the future. Amtrak – Read more