Amtrak Employee Reviews in United States

Very good
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 12, 2016
VERY GOOD COMPANY

• Duties also included configuring and upgrading the workstations to Service Pack 3 for local and regional offices throughout the New England area.
• Troubleshooting and triage of various proprietary and non-AETNA applications to users and providers nationwide.
• Provided network administration functions like mapping network drives, pinging workstations and servers, troubleshooting using various TCP/IP commands.
Great Company-- Be flexible
Customer Service Lead Agent (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 14, 2016
If you're working in one of the two call centers you'll notice that there are always opportunities to advance. Your first year will be doing reservations and sales but as soon as you've done your time, new opportunities will open up.

There will be bad days, sometimes the customers just aren't in a good mood and there are accidents that occur. However, your coworkers are there to support you. Most of the supervisors are great. Upper management is working on making themselves more visible but you will very rarely see them around the office.

Overall a great company. Being part of the union is helpful. If you have the desire to move within the company, you'll find it here.
Pros
Frequent incentives, great coworkers, strong benefits
Cons
Angry customers, holidays based on seniority, frequent understaffing
A wonderfuly balanced place to work
Motor Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMarch 1, 2016
It was a wonderfully balanced place to work. The other employees were great. Some of the Foremen were good., The benefits package was excellent. The pay was great and the chance for advancement was there for the taking. I was young and dumb and didn't realize what I had when I had to it.
Pros
A Great Place to work
Cons
Some management doesnt like the unions
Productive and friendly place to work.
Reservations Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 17, 2016
Amtrak Is a Great Company To work for. Safety Is First everything else is second. #1 Train Company in the USA. A Lot of room for advancement. Great Reputation for accommodating Passengers and fulfilling all of there Traveling needs.
Pros
Good Pay, Good Health Benefits, room for advancement
Cons
short breaks, fast pace.
Great place to work with Benefits and Incintives
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 23, 2016
Productive fast paced environment that was very well kept. Newly remolded kitchen two large sized break rooms with Tv's and an outside patio area. Amtrak also had a nice sized workout room
Pros
Good benefits and being part of the Union
Cons
short breaks over hundreads of calls
Excellent compensation/ benefits
Signal Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 23, 2016
EXCELLENT COMPANY TO WORK FOR......Subpurb training and mentoring of needed craft they give you Instructions that Govern the Maintenance , operation and testing of all Signal Systems and Apparatus Maintained by Amtrak Forces.....5 star Rating compensation and Benefits
Pros
GAIN PLENTY OF WORK EXPERIENCE
Brand new product never been built
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIJanuary 19, 2016
The team was small and all worked as a unit.
The most enjoyable was that we allowed an ADA citizen to board a railway car as easily as a normal citizen.
A typical day was developing and verify and test.
All co-workers where veteran engineers in their particular field.
Pros
Open design
Cons
Hard dead lines
Porductive Work collegues
Train Director (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 1, 2015
On a regular day im directing & governing traon traffic for local & long distance train commuters. But Within a quick instant i have to make ardous decisions based on the most safe & effective route in relations to weather emergencies, equipment problems etc. Daily when working with a good group of people we've fostered a trust on how to interact with each other in a positive environment. Ive been faced with many adverse moments but none ive found to be hard, But when im faced with those moments it becomes enjoyable for when i can make a decison & it turns out beneficial.
Good office to work. Culture was easy fit.
Grants Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 9, 2016
Overall good experience. Acquired additional skills to use in current job.
Flexible hours and travel to New York quarterly. Learned info regarding federal contract (FRA)
Pros
New learning experiences, good supervision
job security
Coach Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 13, 2016
Amtrak has good job security but the management is lacking in communications with the employees on the floor. you clean 3 to 4 trains a day. Co-workers are good to work with. There is no hard part to this job, and the most enjoyable part is job security.
Maintain, troubleshoot and repair.
Signal and Communication Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 31, 2016
My job was to maintain trouble shoot and repair a section of railroad called and interlocking. The interlocking is a section about 1 mile long with circuits, switches and signals.
Pros
I enjoyed the work.
ok company to work for
Reservation Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 15, 2015
The pay rate is good. I ve been working with Fortis for almost a year now and I could not be happier. The management is great with helping you turn your weaknesses into strengths and helping you grow within the company. The company culture is awesome. I moved here knowing no one and this office is my family, we have team nights every week. I love coming into work everyday; everyone is so motivated with a strong work ethic
Lazy employees/ Lazy management
Foreman II (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 17, 2016
Lazy employees/ Lazy management.
Very few good hardworking employees, but those few carry the rest.
Hardest part of job is getting employees to work. The job is very easy, but management has allowed employees to become lazy.
Supportive Work Environment
Claims & Counsel Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 29, 2015
Encouraging co-workers and supportive work environment. They are concerned with the advancement of their younger employees and are determined to help them climb the ranks into management. All that I have encountered have been incredibly helpful, invested, and pleasant.
Good job, nice pay. Unfair Management
Assistant Conductor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2015
The overall job was fun with all the traveling I got to do. My coworkers were good people to work with. The management was unfair and biased. Typical work day was fun, getting on the train to go different places. I learned how to run a train and the laws of the railroad. The hardest part was remembering all the laws.
Pros
Pay, co-workers.
Fun and productive
Coach Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 2, 2016
I was employed here for five years. Personal reasons are what forced me to quit. It is a great place to work, but does have its downfalls when it come to advancement.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
impossible to advance to another craft
Productive and Professional Work Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 14, 2016
Great company for people of all ages to work for. Worked for almost 29 years and grew tired and weary of commuting and also became too fast paced for me.
Pros
Great Salary, Incentives, Heatlth/Dental Care
Cons
Lunches
shift work was hard
Electrical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 28, 2016
Learned a lot about railroads and rolling stock. It was very interesting working with the very old and new equipment. Advancement was very slow.
Pros
Learning new equipment
Cons
shift work
Safe and Fun place to work
C&S Helper (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 29, 2015
A typical day at Amtrak consisted of daily job and safety briefings. Safety, of course, is paramount to any job. In my time there, I've learned that it's a very safety conscious environment who doesn't take any shortcuts. If it meant that a task was put off until it was safe to proceed, that measure was taken.
Management delegated through their foremen to get the jobs completed. They seldom attended or observed us while working on the tracks. My co-workers were very entertaining and a joy to work with. We all molded very well in accomplishing tasks at hand. the most difficult part of the job was the manual digging of railroad ballast. It was very challenging penetrating the surface and getting to a desired depth. It was, however, a very desirable environment with terrific benefits and a family friendly work schedule.
Pros
Schedule and pace
Cons
Manual trenching and digging
Twilight Train
LEAD SERVICE ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Union StationNovember 5, 2015
I enjoy travelling, I really enjoy travelling while being paid. I appreciate providing great customer service to those who appreciate great customer service. I dislike working for an employer where the work culture is suspect. Working at Amtrak voided and illusions of grandeur. I wish to be respectful of my former work peers and those within Amtrak who provided guidance, however, the hardest part of the job was adjusting to train culture, being overworked, and accountable for things out of my total control. I apply the one year grace period to my departure from Amtrak.

I can say in all honesty, the personal challenges I was encountering at the time, and the work stressors, assisted me my pursuit for true happiness.
Pros
Great selection in travel hotels, Pay and Healthcare Benefits
Cons
Limited Personal time, lack of company support with career growth, weak union, egoism with management