Amtrak Employee Reviews

Excellent compensation/ benefits
Signal Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 23, 2016
EXCELLENT COMPANY TO WORK FOR......Subpurb training and mentoring of needed craft they give you Instructions that Govern the Maintenance , operation and testing of all Signal Systems and Apparatus Maintained by Amtrak Forces.....5 star Rating compensation and Benefits
Pros
GAIN PLENTY OF WORK EXPERIENCE
Brand new product never been built
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIJanuary 19, 2016
The team was small and all worked as a unit.
The most enjoyable was that we allowed an ADA citizen to board a railway car as easily as a normal citizen.
A typical day was developing and verify and test.
All co-workers where veteran engineers in their particular field.
Pros
Open design
Cons
Hard dead lines
Great Company
Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 13, 2016
VXI is a cool company, alot of growth, Easy to move up in company. very reliable company. does not require a degree. Very good at training work on how to succeed.
Pros
tons of overtime
Cons
strict on time
Supportive Work Environment
Claims & Counsel Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 29, 2015
Encouraging co-workers and supportive work environment. They are concerned with the advancement of their younger employees and are determined to help them climb the ranks into management. All that I have encountered have been incredibly helpful, invested, and pleasant.
Making and changing reservations for customers.
Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Riverside, caDecember 8, 2015
Amtrak is a very fast paced work place. Learning about travel on a train was fascinating. Usually no time in between customer calls. I enjoyed talking to new people and learning the travel industry.
Amtrak A Higher Standard
General Foreman (Current Employee) –  usDecember 7, 2015
Some parts of the company seem to have Managers who have been promoted beyond their ability. Amtrak has the potential to be a great company! The leadership should hold their leaders to a higher standard.
Pros
Travel Priviledges
Cons
Embattled Management
Great Company to work for
Process Engineer Co-op (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 1, 2015
The work atmosphere is very supportive and productive. The engineering department is best. It is very progressive with most skilled people around.
Porductive Work collegues
Train Director (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 1, 2015
On a regular day im directing & governing traon traffic for local & long distance train commuters. But Within a quick instant i have to make ardous decisions based on the most safe & effective route in relations to weather emergencies, equipment problems etc. Daily when working with a good group of people we've fostered a trust on how to interact with each other in a positive environment. Ive been faced with many adverse moments but none ive found to be hard, But when im faced with those moments it becomes enjoyable for when i can make a decison & it turns out beneficial.
Amtrak
Customer Sevice/ Sales Represitive (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 30, 2015
Well organized and prestigious company with great benefits and health services for employees. There was constant scrutiny on a daily basis and lots of pressure, but employees endured due to great pay and benefits.
Pros
Great P
Cons
High Pressure
Stressful work environment with non-skilled people in high level positions
Sr. Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 16, 2015
Stressful work environment with non-skilled people in high level positions. You must know someone in senior level positions to be promoted and be willing to become demoralized.
exciting occupation...
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 16, 2015
excitement and travel... great benefits and retirement. Met and work with some great men and women during my 41 years with Amtrak.
Pros
travel
Cons
away from family
ok company to work for
Reservation Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 15, 2015
The pay rate is good. I ve been working with Fortis for almost a year now and I could not be happier. The management is great with helping you turn your weaknesses into strengths and helping you grow within the company. The company culture is awesome. I moved here knowing no one and this office is my family, we have team nights every week. I love coming into work everyday; everyone is so motivated with a strong work ethic
Good job, nice pay. Unfair Management
Assistant Conductor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2015
The overall job was fun with all the traveling I got to do. My coworkers were good people to work with. The management was unfair and biased. Typical work day was fun, getting on the train to go different places. I learned how to run a train and the laws of the railroad. The hardest part was remembering all the laws.
Pros
Pay, co-workers.
Twilight Train
LEAD SERVICE ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Union StationNovember 5, 2015
I enjoy travelling, I really enjoy travelling while being paid. I appreciate providing great customer service to those who appreciate great customer service. I dislike working for an employer where the work culture is suspect. Working at Amtrak voided and illusions of grandeur. I wish to be respectful of my former work peers and those within Amtrak who provided guidance, however, the hardest part of the job was adjusting to train culture, being overworked, and accountable for things out of my total control. I apply the one year grace period to my departure from Amtrak.

I can say in all honesty, the personal challenges I was encountering at the time, and the work stressors, assisted me my pursuit for true happiness.
Pros
Great selection in travel hotels, Pay and Healthcare Benefits
Cons
Limited Personal time, lack of company support with career growth, weak union, egoism with management
High tempo Fast paced environment
Manager Mechanical Department (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2015
Fantastic company for long term benefits. Biggest down fall of working for Amtrak in any capacity is lack of stability. One day you would be assigned to a morning shift, and then two days later you are assigned third shift. It takes a toll, especially if you have a young family as do I.
Fun work place
Lead Service Attendant (LSA) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 1, 2015
it's a great place to work at, A employee can travel to see different places in the states. Mangers are very helpful and they lend helping hands when its ever needed. There are plenty of oppurtunites to have growth in the company.
Safe and Fun place to work
C&S Helper (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 29, 2015
A typical day at Amtrak consisted of daily job and safety briefings. Safety, of course, is paramount to any job. In my time there, I've learned that it's a very safety conscious environment who doesn't take any shortcuts. If it meant that a task was put off until it was safe to proceed, that measure was taken.
Management delegated through their foremen to get the jobs completed. They seldom attended or observed us while working on the tracks. My co-workers were very entertaining and a joy to work with. We all molded very well in accomplishing tasks at hand. the most difficult part of the job was the manual digging of railroad ballast. It was very challenging penetrating the surface and getting to a desired depth. It was, however, a very desirable environment with terrific benefits and a family friendly work schedule.
Pros
Schedule and pace
Cons
Manual trenching and digging
Great Work Place
Train/Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 26, 2015
Just after 6 plus years looking to be home to spend more family time. Amtrak is a super cool job and you get to meet and work with super cool co-worker
Pros
Get to see the world
Cons
Too much time away from home, less travel
Amtrak has the most stability I have seen in any company I have been with
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Berlin, CTOctober 15, 2015
Amtrak is funded annually through subsidies. This makes their planning and scheduling process limited. Amtrak needs to have more accountability within their employees and their management.
GREAT PLACE TO LEARN
Locomotive Engineer, Chicago Union Station (Former Employee) –  CHICAGO ILLINOISOctober 14, 2015
WONDERFUL PEOPLE THAT YOU MEET AND WORK WITH AND JOB SECURITY YOU WILL GO HOME SAFE EVERY DAY WONDERFUL PLACE AMTRAK.........................................
Pros
PAY
Cons
NONE