Amtrak

Amtrak Employee Reviews

Hard Core Railroading and I LOVE it.
Assistant Division Engineer (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 30, 2015
Pros: Great Employees
Cons: None
Lay Track/ Run Trains-That's what we do. Fast Paced, Get the Job Done safely and with pride in our work. 100+ Employee's under my direction with and annual budget of over $100 million dollars.
Always on the train going somewhere
ARASA Temporary Supervisor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 26, 2015
Pros: Healthcare is good
Cons: Finding personal time when you can first year
Time management is something you really need to have down packed here with the railroad and also to be ready for a change and adapt to it really quickly inorder to get the job done. Part of the culture here is to get on the job training with good customer service, being away from family memebers days at time while on the road, and how to react during a derailment. Working with the co-workers here as a team as we are able to get the job done and learning how to do other jobs within the company.Traveling is the BEST part of the job being able to see different parts of the USA and being able to stay in other cities and enjoying the view that it has to offer also going across the US and seeing how beautiful it really is.
cultural environment
Reservation Sales Agent (Current Employee), riverside caJune 26, 2015
I really enjoy working for Amtrak its a great job to have. I love being around different people and cultures. If your a people person this job is definitely for you.
SAP
SAP Systems Developer (Former Employee), Washington DCJune 17, 2015
Was a part of the support team for SAP HR/Payroll and time management. I was also able to gain valuable knowledge on the ESS/MSS portal and with recruitment, training and events, and BI/BW.
Could be better managed.
Lead Service Attendent/Chef (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 14, 2015
Pros: free travel
Cons: If you miss your call period you lose you guranteed hours
The people are ok but management could use a lot of work, a whole lot. Working here is ok if your full time and have a spot, but if your on the extra board with 50 other people it not good. You never know where your going if your on the extra board. The hardest part for me is not being home. The most enjoyable ,some of the co workers and once again free travel.
A great work experience even though I was a contractor. Very eager and driven to please the public. Extremely dedicated employees which I respected.
Transaction Specialist - Recruiting (Contractor) (Former Employee), Wilmington, DEJune 14, 2015
Pros: Dedicated and productive employees
Cons: I have none.
Amtrak was a delightful place to work because everyone was truly dedicated to their job and did their utmost to perform to their fullest. The employees were productive and yet the atmosphere was still pleasant.
Amtrak "Chicago"
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 12, 2015
Pros: Pay
Cons: Management can be difficult to communicate with it.
Management and employee are not on the same page. Makes for a tough work environment. Once that bridge is remove, this could be a lovely place to work
Flexible work/job balance but environment is unstable
Project Manager/ Scheduler/Change Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 10, 2015
Job/Work Life Balance is awesome! Compensation/Benefits have been significantly trimmed down over the last few years. As a result, there is a high turnover rate. There is a lack of job security and the company has undergone numerous layoffs with both contractors and full time employees.
Over worked and micro managed.
LEAD SERVICE ATTENDANT (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 7, 2015
Upon signing agreement to work with company, I promised the leniency to work when available, thus making time to pursue my career as a filmmaker. I was punished financially when attempting to do so.
Not paid for off hours shift, even though still onboard train, hundreds of miles away from home.
fun to work , positive, productive,and great teamplayers
Electrician (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 3, 2015
Amtrak is not just a job but an adventure. Working here at Amtrak,safety is our goal and we can applied on our everyday life.Co-workers,Supervisors, and Management are great to work with.
Goal oriented work place is great.
locomotive engineer (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILMay 27, 2015
Great company for advancement if willing to travel. The company also is willing to teach employeesfor new career tasks.
Amtrak
Train Dispatcher (Current Employee), Wilmington, DEMay 18, 2015
Pros: PAY
Cons: Shiftwork
High Paced work life that has some great opportunities. A normal day is greeted by everyone. Shift work can be very challenging for a lot of people.
Excellent training and Fun Job
On Board Lead (Former Employee), new york, nyMay 17, 2015
Pros: salary benefits and tips were great. Along with traveling
Cons: unable to go decline a position once accepted, basically forced to stay in a
I loved working here. Exploring the country, meeting people who were new to traveling by trains and meeting train buffs ( those who knew much of trains) , they were all eager and happy, even in the worst of reasons for their travel. Making their experience an enjoyable one was much to my satisfaction.
Golden Handcuffs
On Board Services Attendant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 15, 2015
Pros: Job security (past probation); good work/life balance once you can hold a regular job.
Cons: Rampant nepotism (i.e. discrimination), incompetent management, accelerated budget cuts.
A good job if you have no prior work experience or secondary education. Unfortunately, the company is so mismanaged due to a preponderance of managers/supervisors who have no business sense, training or education. Also, the top half has no idea what the bottom half is doing or what we have to contend with.
Not to mention that Amtrak has been at the mercy of the Federal government since its inception because the company is not profitable. Amtrak has been hemorrhaging tax dollars for years.
However, if you can tolerate and accept the 'status quo' at this company and adapt to the lifestyle (odd hours & days, travel, etc.) then this could be a secure means of earning a living with decent benefits.
Productive fun work place
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 7, 2015
This company had many perks. If I could go back, I would. Management and co-workers were kind and respectful. There was upward mobility within the company. I learned geography, train status, how to drive a forklift, customer service and patience.
Stability and Great Benefits
Reservation Sales Agent/Payroll Timekeeper (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 5, 2015
Pros: Stable Company and Great Benefits.
Cons: Hours Not Flexible
I worked for Amtrak for over 10 years and worked to positions. It was a pleasant work atmosphere and great pay, but the hours were not flexible and I had two babies and needed a more flexible position after 10 years. I assisted customers with travel plans. In payroll I handled all time cards for the West Coast. I dealth with any payroll issues and inputted all the time cards. My duties also included filing, answering inquiries and accounting.
Excellent pay,health care, and retirement benefit
Electrician (Current Employee), Miami, FLMay 1, 2015
Pros: awards for perfect attendance, gym, and pay
Cons: finding where cars are supposed to be when not in my designated area
When the train assigned to me is on time it makes the rest of the day productive. I get along well with my co-workers. The hardest part is when its raining or too hot. I work under the pit and water splashes on my face and when its too hot ....its uncomfortable being expose to high temperature outside. I do love that they provided employees with a gym we can use.
Positive work experience
Manager of Operations (Customer Service) (Former Employee), PhiladelphiaApril 23, 2015
My work experiences at AMTRAK were all very positive. There were many opportunities for advancement in all functional areas. Salary was a little low for the expectations however the experiences I gained out weighed the salary deficit..
great company to work for.
COACH CLEANER (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYApril 15, 2015
Amtrak is an Excellent company to work for,Safety comes first,great service,the co-worker are very reaible and hard workers and Team players.
Good not Great
Director, Industry Alliances (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 14, 2015
Pros: Great work/life balance
Cons: Stubborn work atmosphere, not forward thinking
You have an opportunity to grow, but Senior Management is often treated like royalty and it is not encouraged to disagree. Dealing with HQ is often a case of the emperor has no clothes, particularly with the Executive Team

1 2 3 4 5

About Amtrak

Amtrak trains connect businesses and communities across the country and move America’s workforce toward the future. Amtrak – Read more

Amtrak Salaries