Amtrak Employee Reviews

Diverse, productive and learning enviroment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 9, 2017
Very diverse and hardworking culture. Management is in constant change and improvement, creating opportunities for new generations. The most enjoyable part of the job, being exposed to the different challenges in learning the IT operations and management's leadership.
Productive and fun place to work
Lead Vendor Specialists (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 25, 2017
A typical day is busy. I enjoy what I do. My goal at the end of the day is to make sure my customers are satisfied and have the ability to do their job.
Pros
Travel

Comment – April 27, 2017

Additional Pros working for Amtrak is the excellent benefits on top of the travel. The people are good to work with and for. I enjoy my job and working with my customers both internal and external.

Assignment Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2017
I take pride ensuring all vacancies are filled. Amtrak is a 24 hour operations, everyone doing their job to the best of their ability is essential to the company operating. Amtrak is a public service and the customer needs to be satisfied by all means. Making sure I do my part makes me proud.
Pros
Ride the train for free
Cons
Sometime not enough bodies to fill the jobs and they have to be filled with OT.
Great job
E.T. Dept Lineman (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 20, 2017
Pay is great and the job is very intense at times but learning experience and work environment is great. you get out of the job of what you put into it.
Pros
great pay
The pay is decent
Lead Technical Trainer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2017
The Train and Engine department of the company does not do well with work life balancing. However, if you're able to dedicate your time and you don't have small children it is undoubtedly a great income
If you like long train rides.
On Board Service (Former Employee) –  Lorton, VAApril 18, 2017
I have no complaints about this job. Nothing about it is typical from its 3-4 week training class to the outstanding pay rate you receive. This job is perfect for you if you dont mind being on a train for 2 days.
Working for Amtrak
TRAIN ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 17, 2017
Working on the train can be fun and also helpful. It is a great experience and this job has helped me a lot in communication and customer service. I have learned to keep calm in stressful situations and with the proper training that Amtrak has given me, I know that I can address any problem confidently. I know that this company takes care of their employees and not once have I felt any sense of unprofessionalism from management. Amtrak is 100% about acceptance and diversity of their employees and has no tolerance for bullying. The health benefits and retirement pans that come with this company is something to be thankful and expenses wise; affordable. Amtrak is a great company.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Away from family and "on call" schedualing.
Great place
Carmen (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2017
Join AMTRAK today. Very rewarding career. Great people to work with. Easy work, and your co-workers make the day fly by with jokes. A great place to retire from
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
excellent job security fun workplace
Western Reservation Sales Office (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 6, 2017
I really enjoyed the work place. Amtrak is a great place to work. If you wanted to move around in the company you have the ability to if the position was available.
Pros
lots of room to advance and move around in the company
Cons
health care
Great company to work for
Lineman (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAApril 2, 2017
Safety first environment... the hardest part of the job is waking up to go there... the environment is laid back. As a lineman we maintain and Repair over head catenary wires in our Mid-Atlantic North

Want to know more about Amtrak?

Ask a question
Good job with good benefits
Assistant Conductor (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAMarch 31, 2017
A typical day at work for Amtrak would start off with the proper paperwork that the conductor, assistant conductor and engineer would read, then there would be a job briefing shortly after discussing the things that would affect the train's route. During the trip as the assistant conductor I would check the passengers tickets and assist any of them with their luggage and see them to their seat's. At the end of the train's trip I would assist the passengers off the train and answer any of their question's to the best of my knowledge. I would then walk the train to make sure there were no more passengers on the train and securing the train by applying the hand brakes and putting chalks behind the rails.
Pros
Great benefits and good pay
Cons
Long days, random hours and no breaks
Good Place To Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2017
I enjoy the work, it's challenging but it gives me a chance to use my skills. It's a nice quiet office where I work at. The people give you positive feedback for the work you do.
Ok
Carmen Helper (Former Employee) –  Sunnyside Yard New YorkMarch 27, 2017
Amtrak is a great place to work if you have family that already works for the company. Especially if they are in management. If you a person with a trade then it's a good place to start.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no room for growth
Good company
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 23, 2017
Making reservation for travelers and learning how to make traveling a great experience for customers. The company is strict on safety which is a good thing. Training to me need to be longer and should be assessed more to help the worker daily.
Pros
benefits are great
Cons
part time to start
Safety first and great room for advancement
Coach Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Boston South Hampton Yard Maintenance Facility...March 8, 2017
Productive, Safe environment where everyone does there job and safety is a must... On the job training, also offer free classes and a great opportunities with a chance to move up...
Pros
Free train rides throughout the US, Great Benifits and the Retirement benifits
Cons
Must accumilate time off..
Management practices are unreliable at the Atlanta location
Incident Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 8, 2017
Amtrak uses a company called DISYS to staff their NOC and Service Desk

DISYS pays very poorly therefore the talent in these areas is severely lacking
Pros
If you are FTE the pay is pretty good and retirement benefits are awesom
Cons
Lack of talent, too dependant upon Vendors
Excellent benefits and great pay.
Passenger Conductor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 7, 2017
Good place to start a career. Multifaceted organization that will allow growth depending on your desire. Jobs can be one hundred percent travel or no travel at all.
Loved working with my Manager
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 28, 2017
I had a great team that I worked with and loved the Executive that I supported.

I would have stayed there if they could have found me work in Sacramento due to a medical reasons I needed a job locally. I was commuting to Oakland.
Pros
Great Management team
Cons
Long commute
Great place with basketball goal.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 27, 2017
Fast pace
Keep up
Complete the task
Stay on your feet

Excellent employer
Statistical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Beech Grove, INFebruary 17, 2017
Excellent benefits and salary. Very good place to work. Not much mobility opportunities. Lots of jobs with company posted in other locations but not many here in Indianapolis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amtrak. Our community is ready to answer.