Amtrak Employee Reviews in United States

Safe and Fun place to work
C&S Helper (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 29, 2015
A typical day at Amtrak consisted of daily job and safety briefings. Safety, of course, is paramount to any job. In my time there, I've learned that it's a very safety conscious environment who doesn't take any shortcuts. If it meant that a task was put off until it was safe to proceed, that measure was taken.
Management delegated through their foremen to get the jobs completed. They seldom attended or observed us while working on the tracks. My co-workers were very entertaining and a joy to work with. We all molded very well in accomplishing tasks at hand. the most difficult part of the job was the manual digging of railroad ballast. It was very challenging penetrating the surface and getting to a desired depth. It was, however, a very desirable environment with terrific benefits and a family friendly work schedule.
Pros
Schedule and pace
Cons
Manual trenching and digging
Great Work Place
Train/Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 26, 2015
Just after 6 plus years looking to be home to spend more family time. Amtrak is a super cool job and you get to meet and work with super cool co-worker
Pros
Get to see the world
Cons
Too much time away from home, less travel
Amtrak has the most stability I have seen in any company I have been with
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Berlin, CTOctober 15, 2015
Amtrak is funded annually through subsidies. This makes their planning and scheduling process limited. Amtrak needs to have more accountability within their employees and their management.
Great place to learn
Locomotive Engineer, Chicago Union Station (Former Employee) –  CHICAGO ILLINOISOctober 14, 2015
Wonderful people that you meet and work with and job security you will go home safe every day wonderful place amtrak.........................................
Pros
PAY
Cons
NONE
Union
Lead Accounting Disbursement Clerk (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 7, 2015
Did not like working for a Union. Pay was exceptional but not always worth the stress and hard work. Union protects the good and the bad.
benefits
Cons
union
Too much travel required
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 6, 2015
Too much travel is required in harsh cold weather conditions and in spite of low compensation, there is no job security.
Pros and Cons
OBS - Service Attendant/Train Attendant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2015
Amazing way to earn a living but could provide more employee oversight by management. The rail system is a beautiful way to travel and many passengers have been long time riders.
Pros
The pay is great.
Cons
Long stays away from home.
Excellent
Customer Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 4, 2015
Not Applicable. I do not wish to submit a public review for the company that I am currently employed with.

I enjoy my job, I enjoy working with my team, and I enjoy contributing to make Amtrak better each day.

Thank you for your consideration.
Working as a railroad carman
Carman - Railroad Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2015
Working at Amtrak has been a pleasant experience. The work hours are good, if you win the bid. You have to remember with the railroad, everything is union. You have to bid on jobs (you still have a job, just determines which shift and days off you will receive). Depending on the location, the management is helpful
Pros
Pay, build senority as the company hires
Cons
days off. have to work there for many years to get weekends off
Good employees----
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 4, 2015
Great company, good salary and benefits.I enjoy working and getting trains from point A to B without unnecessary delays.

Thanks
Pros
Managers can be real managers
Great Benefits for Low Experience, Horrid Management
Usher (Current Employee) –  NortheastAugust 26, 2015
The benefits and pay of a union job here are exceptional for the experience level required. However, the corporate leadership is way out of touch with the everyday employees and almost all the station level managers are biased against the union employees, play favorites, and do whatever it takes to please their immediate superior without fighting for their employees rights and well-being.
Great pay and benefits
Train Attendant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 24, 2015
Amtrak is a great place to start off and see where you want to go from there. It pays very well and the benefits are very competitive. I do have to say though that you will be working LONG hours. Especially if you are on-board services. I've worked as long as 24-25 hour shifts and slept as little as 1 hour in between days. Its rough and definitely not for anyone but a great stepping stone towards greater things.
Pros
Great pay. Good benefits.
Cons
LONG work hours, on call, terrible management.
productive efforts, maintenance and great benefits
Coach Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 18, 2015
Learned about HIPPA and safety guidelines. Loved the experience, operations of trains and the functions of the railroad life.
Pros
great employees and staff members
Cons
hazardous at night time on the train tracks.
ok
Lead Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 13, 2015
- Tracked / maintained inventory, shipping, receiving, and disbursement of parts and supplies
- Food / beverage service in café to dining car passengers
- Managed all monies
Organization which provides a service to the people of America
Chief Development Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, dcAugust 7, 2015
Good company with a mission to provide inter-city railroad service. It has a number of technology initiatives which are transformative.
Pros
work/life balance. free train rides on the regional.
Cons
silo'd mentality, career-pathing
Great Job With Great People
Assistant Train Conductor (Former Employee) –  Seattle WAAugust 5, 2015
Two Sides to the Conductor job, the "road" and the "yard". On the road you will be traveling a lot and spending layovers in various hotels. Your job is to ensure passenger safety collect fares, and many other task that go hand-in-hand such as opening doors and helping with baggage or assigning seats. In the yard you will be doing a lot of hands on type work, hitting the switches, connecting hoses, being on, around and under the trains. Hardest part of the job is keeping organized with all of your paper work, mainly the rule books you carry and the constant updates of rules, regulations and things such as environment hazards. Another Hard part of the job is the schedule. This job is seniority based so you could be on-call for a long time or be stuck with bad schedules which are not permanent, but that also means if you get a good schedule, that it too is not permanent.
Pros
Great pay, benefits and work environment.
Cons
Not a great job if you want lots of time with family and loved ones.
A great place to make money
Engineering department trainee (Former Employee) –  Linden, NJJuly 27, 2015
If I didn't have a family crisis I would deffinitely still be there. A week without over time was real good , pay wise, but I usually worked 70-80 hour weeks, lots of overtime. My social and family life suffered but I made some serious money.....
Pros
Alot of overtime
Cons
No free time
ok
ET Lineman (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2015
secure job good people great medical dental plans excellent training
programs high on safety must be aware of all conditions
Pros
lunch
Cons
Interesting and challenging company, diverse workforce
Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 21, 2015
Typical day - General accounting requirements.
What I learned - Many accounting transactions specific to the Rail Road industry,
Management - A lot of turnover, seems to be stable now.
Co-workers - Very committed and knowledgeable.
Hardest part of job - Many changing priorities.
Most Enjoyable - Working with other employees in other departments.
Pros
Free train travel.
Cons
Increasing workload
Great money
Train Conductor, Safety Board Instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 16, 2015
Great place to work.Management at local level is awful, however you can find a supervisor that really cares. Always fearful that the company will close

4.2