Amtrak Employee Reviews

Welcoming company for an internship
Geometry Engineer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 27, 2016
Worked with a small group of engineers to plan construction work. Group was tight knit and welcoming. Great intern experience.
Pros
Educational, entry level, tight knit
Cons
Work force comprised mostly of 40+ y/o, very few new employees
interesting people
welder fabricator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 27, 2016
Amtrak is a steady job with room for advancement, the only thing they want out of employees is good work ethics, attendance,and don't get hurt. other than that its a good place to work.
Pros
alot of opportunies to learn
Cons
most people you work with are negative
Knowing your role is very easy
Trackman (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 23, 2016
Briefings are held at the beginning of the shift, then the teams head out into the field to perform the work. Dangerous if all safety requirements are not met.
What can I say about Amtrak
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 19, 2016
I started out at the Reservations Center in Riverside, aka "Payton Place". It was a place full of drama and I had my fair share. The pay was decent and the job was fairly easy. Management was completely horrible. There were a lot of people that needed to be retrained immediately. Lawsuits were a common practice there. I eventually moved to the Station in L.A. and became a Forklift Driver and Dock worker There was a little bit of drama there as well but it was reasonable. The pay was exceptional and the OT was awesome. I worked a lot of hours there but because of the fast paced job I was in, it felt like nothing. I then became a Linen Driver and in this capacity I had a truck that I drove back and forth from the station to the warehouse. It was a solo job so that was cool. Even though I didnt want to, I took a buyout from the company because it was in my best interest.
Pros
Good Pay, good hours room for advancement
Cons
Company outsourced a department so jobs were taken away.
Love working at Amtrak. Great company great passengers.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  USADecember 18, 2016
Great place to work. So many opportunities. Hard work pays off here. Bennifit a and railroad retirement are worth the time you will invest and sacrifices you will make to work here.
Not a great place to work
Payroll Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 14, 2016
This is a company that minimizes it's staff to increasingly overwhelm the remaining employees. This company does not care about the people. Departments work in silos and constantly waste government dollars.
Railroad retirement
Journeyman Electrician/Locomotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 12, 2016
RRB - Railroad retirment board is quite a great benefit. Amtrak is ripe for improvement, were progressive pro-labor management willing to work towards teamwork. Furthermore, at least 25% of the regular workforce take advantage of the poor management and opt to do barely enough work to not get fired. It has great potential, however.
benefits
Cons
work ethic
Absolutely first rate place to work and to serve with those co-workers.
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2016
Fasted paced work environment, interacting with different people and cultures. Competent leaders, outstanding co-workers and feeling of accomplishment.
Pros
working with the newest and innovative equipment
Cons
inherent dangers of working in a metropolitan environment
Best Kept Secret in America
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 28, 2016
Working for Amtrak is truly a life changing opportunity. The work schedule can be unpredictable but in reality is very predictable most of the time. The training program is tough and not everyone makes it through. Your ability to learn and retain large amounts of information in a short period of time will be challenged. Once you've complete the training, you'll feel a huge sense of accomplishment and be on your way to a very long and rewarding career. You will be compensated for your hard work. Locomotive engineers make above average pay.
Pros
Pay and working environment
Cons
Hours and fatigue.
Overall a good company to work in.
Train conductor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC, Baltimore MDNovember 15, 2016
I enjoy the people, and the work environment. The company offers good benefits. There is room for growth if you so desire. There are many different career choices as well.
Pros
Good benefits, union, room to move around and grow.
Cons
Long hours away from home.
Train Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 10, 2016
We work to get people across the east coast in the safest manner. Trains are mostly on time and the ride is one of the best. Getting people to there jobs or location is number one.
great job
Machinist/Inspector (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2016
great workplace good people good pay can be demanding at times the railroad is at tuff life . the rest day are the hardest but if you can get past that its a great job
Pros
can be demanding
Cons
great people to work with
locomotive Technician
Locomotive Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 8, 2016
Responsible for inspection ,testing and maintenance of electrical ,electronic and HVAC systems on Locomotives and rolling stock equipment in accordance with FRA and Amtrak standards and guidelines. Preformed electrical modifications and repairs or replace components as necessary.Troubleshoot equipment to determine corrective actions and causes of equipment failures.
Decent place to work, could be improved with better leadership
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 2, 2016
Management at Amtrak is very bureaucratic and makes it difficult for people who have skills and capabilities to advance. Lots of senior employees without college degrees.

The benefits are decent, including free rail travel.

Workload is reasonable and not too taxing, but management is very inflexible about telework, flexible hours, etc.

New CEO that just started is excellent, but it will take a while for his management style to trickle down through the company and undo years of increasing bureaucracy.
Amazing job to have, if you dont mind never being home.
On Board Service (Former Employee) –  Lorton, VAOctober 15, 2016
The pay, the workers, and the job itself were great. I couldn't possibly complain about the job itself, but the lifestyle of being on the train for roughly 2-3 days or more and being home for one was rough to say the very least for me. It completely removed most of my social life, but I didnt have a single problem with paying my bills.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Time away from home
A safe place to learn .
Railroad : Lineman / HRO (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 13, 2016
One has the ability to learn grow and achieve working this employer . Fortunately for myself although ; may had been slow at periods and "woke-up" then gained as result .
Pros
An education with people and of other fields in work life . Drug free .
Cons
The weather .
A unique environment unlike the Corporate World
Human Capital Representative (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEOctober 10, 2016
Amtrak is a very different culture than one might be used to. I have been able to adjust well and learn alot about the railroad. There is opportunity if one is interested.
Pros
Free train travel for yourself and family
Cons
Benefits are expensive
Great work inviorment
Lead Station Agent / Customer service Rep (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 9, 2016
Working for Amtrak has given me the opportunity to learn different potions that will apply in my future career such as accounting, customer service, management, office, and teaching me how to work with the public.
Pros
great pay
Cons
hours
great experience just no moving up like i intended too
Coach Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2016
I would say I enjoyed Amtrak I mean I was there 8 years. Just could not see myself moving up as I intended. union means way harder to move up then I thought.
Good co-workers Career advancement oppertunyies
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GASeptember 15, 2016
Create positive customer support experience and build strong relationships through deep problem understanding, ensuring timely resolution or escalation, communicate promptly on progress, and handling customers with a consummately professional attitude.
Travel
Good money
Great benefits
Great vacation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amtrak. Our community is ready to answer.