AmTrust North America Employee Reviews

Growing Company with room to improve
Commercial Insurance Company - Claims Adjuster III (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 31, 2017
It's a good place to work, but management needs to focus on reducing adjuster workloads so that the company can live up to its claims of work/life balance.
Ok place to work
Office Manager/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 25, 2017
The company is a growing company, fast paced, productive, and modern. They have various offices across the country, and many positions available to qualified applicants.
A little stressful at times, but can be handled
Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 7, 2017
Spending all day staring at a screen is not for everyone, but I don't mind it at all. My favorite part of this job is working in teams and being able to communicate with people about many different things, whether it's to gain a better understanding of something or to help solve a problem. Sometimes I have to deal with some difficult people on the phone, but I am a person who is able to keep calm and assist well. I am good at diffusing tense situations and leaving the claimant or whoever is calling us feeling relieved of their issue or concern without causing any more problems.
Management is awful
Legal and Compliance Licensing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 5, 2016
The company pays well. Manager in the Legal and Compliance is awful. She is immature and be little's her staff. I have never worked in a dept so short staffed. My opinion is for people to stay away from this department.
Amtrust is definitely a work in progress
Business Analyst/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 14, 2016
My coworkers were amazing, management not so much. I am grateful for the experience, I certainly learned a great deal. its a great entry level company, you can learn a lot. the average person stays maybe 6-12 months.
Pros
good health insurance options and generous PTO & holiday
Cons
inexperience
Great work place
Insurance Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 12, 2016
This is a great job to have. It definitely teaches you things you might have never known about the insurance world. I've been here 14+ years.
Pros
Benefits, Pay
Cons
N/A
Great hours and time off.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  New York StateAugust 31, 2016
I worked for this company for a few years. Although I liked working there the office manager is very difficult to work with. The rest is the staff was great including the owner/president of the office. If the office manager didn't like you she made it very hard on you on a daily basis. The insurance was very expensive for a family with high copays.
Pros
Convenient location
Cons
Expensive Health Care, unfriendly office manager
Management, Supervisors and Leads lack knowledge for their job
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Bedford, TXAugust 21, 2016
Management supervisors and leads lack knowledge for their job lead. People are usually placed in lead or supervisory positions just for having tolerated all the BS long enough and not have quit or gotten fired, but they know nothing about business management or business ethics or being diplomatic in leading a person they know nothing about offering constructive criticism. You can ask two different supervisors the same question and you will get two totally different answers. How does one learn and grow and be productive in their positions when the resources that are in place to assist you don't even have the correct answer, they don't care about finding out the correct answer, and they say anything off the top of their head and will tell you to get the customer off the phone and move on to the next customer that you are expected to race off the phone. I don't handle my calls this way I have longer calls because I try for a one-call resolution and offering quality customer service but I'll probably be fired sooner or later for that fact.
Pros
Decent PTO, health benefits
Cons
Bad supervision, not allowed to use PTO then if it's carried over to the next year, you lose some of it.
Great learning experience
Underwriting Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 10, 2016
Processing endorsements, quotes and BOLs at a fast pace. Constantly learning something new in regards to the insurance industry. Management is helpful. Great co-workers.
Pros
Peers
Cons
Healthcare
Company that's buying small insurance companies, with very little knowledge of the company that they are buying.
Underwriting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAMay 30, 2016
I worked as an Underwriting Assistant at the Concord, Ca office. I absolutely loved my job, but management really sucks! Lack of communication, training, I quit my position because management woyld make prejudice comments to me as if it was normal. They thought that they were above you.

The company is owned by a young millionaire that is buying out small insurances and combining them under his company AmTrust. The overall moral is not very positive, high turnover, especially in their claims department. Overall, the benefits are excellent, great place to capture a little experience and then move on. No room for growth!
Pros
Free parking, great benefits
Cons
Poor management, high turnover, especially in their claims department.
Could Be Better
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 23, 2016
The work environment could definitely be a lot better than it currently is. The management likes to micro-manage you, which tends to stifle you. Don't really seem to have room for you to grow with company. If you need a job, it's a good place to get a start, but if you want to build a future it's best to move on.
great place to work for the last 7 month
Claims Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAApril 20, 2016
I was a great job but it was only temp. assignment. Sad to leave I'm look for full time work. Working at AmTrust I have leaned at like working in the insurance deparment
Nice short-term, entry level work. Negative Work environment.
Software Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 20, 2016
Benefits:
The number of vacation days and paid time of comes to approximately 1 month of paid time off per year. Other benefits seems to be average such as health insurance, 401k, etc.

Work Environment:
You have the opportunity to wear a lot of different hats and try a lot of different things within your job function. Training is pretty much non-existent. Everyone considers themselves to be competent developers and they consider almost everyone else to be completely incompetent leading to a negative work environment.

Compensation:
Entry level pay that is a little below the industry average. Ability to negotiate to some degree.

Job Security:
Getting fired here is nearly impossible. The only way to get fired is to be so rude to the people you are working with that everyone you work with complains to both your manager and your manager's manager, and their manager's manager.

Management:
Managers seem to be in their positions just because they have been there longer than anyone else. Managers tend to ignore employees unless they have to answer a question or resolve a specific issue. I don't get the feeling that I have any chance of moving into a management role or that I would have any power or support if I did receive such a role. No one is held accountable for any of their actions (e.g. watching movies at work, showing up late regularly, taking long lunches, etc.).
Pros
Amount of Vacation, Freedom to try new things
Cons
Lack of Training, Negative attitude about fellow employees, No opportunity to move up.
Very Productive, professional place to work
Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHNovember 9, 2015
great work.life balance. Professional. Fun. Busy.
Co-workers are amazing people to work with, everyone helps everyone.
Pros
felxibility
Cons
n/a
Na
Underwriting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 1, 2015
Great place to work! I've learned everything about workers compensation in the past 10 years working here. The atmosphere is relaxed and management promotes a balance between work and family.
Working in Administrative-Data Entry
Claims Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAOctober 22, 2015
A typical day at work is? a happy day at work
What you learned? how to present myself professionally and maintain a positive outlook
Management? I understand Management and have respect for them
Your Co-workers? Diverse and the world is a classroom. We learn every day about each other. They are wonderful.
The hardest part of your job? The diversity! Sometimes it gets in the way of people's behavior, and when the environment changes too much to soon.
The most enjoyable part of the job? Motivation and happiness of just having a job that defines who you are and who you want to be.
Pros
Cons
Was too far from where I lived
Cons outweigh Pros
Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 8, 2015
No structure is in place whatsoever. The executives, managers, and supervisors form their own cult and only worry about themselves. Provide no direction or advancement opportunities. Culture makes you feel insignificant and undervalued.
Don't work here
Lead Claims Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2015
This company is horrible. Stay away!!! Management is the worst. They let go of a great manager and brought in somebody who barely speaks to anybody in the office, except the white people. This company is racist, moral is super low. Once they changes managers this company went down hill.
Pros
Cons
everything they don't even give you 15 minute breaks for working an 8 hour shift
Great work enviornment
Financial Clerk (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAAugust 27, 2015
The work load is heavy you will definetly be busy all day long. I have learned a lot about banking and check printing processes. Co-workers are great. The company continues to grow and therefore the managing is not doing so great.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
long drive from home
Clique's ran the office
Worker's compensation adjuster (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NJAugust 13, 2015
I worked in the NJ office for a few days before management realized that I didn't fit into the "clique" and advised the placement company not to have me come back.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Dysfunctional Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AmTrust North America. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8