Amylin Pharmaceuticals Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and supportive place to work
Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 27, 2015
Working at Amylin has been the best professional experience I have had so far. The upper level management/directors are amazingly supportive and brilliant. There was a lot of job flexibility, while still maintaining a high level of productivity. I would recommend working with people from this company to anyone.
Great Company
Manager of Real Estate and Planning (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 27, 2015
This was a great company to work for during my ten years of service. It was an innovative, fast-paced environment full of exciting challenges. I loved the variety of different projects I got to be a part of as well as the fantastic and talented people I collaborated with each day.
A great company.
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 17, 2015
A great company that was commited to improving the lives of diabetics. Bought and sold twice and moved to the East Coast.
Clinical Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 28, 2014
A great place to work and grow, great management, wonderful co-workers
Great place to work! The focus was all about the patient and disease state education.
Senior Diabetes Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 29, 2014
Small Biotech company that went BIG!!! Great products and never lost the focus of putting the patient first!
Very talented people. Management good.
Quality Control Analyst, Bioassay Group (Contract) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 17, 2014
The staff at Amylin are very experienced. The management is professional.
Pros
management good
Cons
no advancement
Good company with good people
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 9, 2014
I was a temporary administrative assistant while there, but I enjoyed working there. I assisted the Marketing department and was able to learn new skills while I was there. Although the job was temporary I learned a lot there and it helped me with my next position.
Pros
good company
Cons
n/a
Hard work, autonomy and a lot of fun.
Senior Diabetes Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  MEMarch 6, 2014
The only thing negative is they were sold to BMS ,one of the worst companies ever.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
being bought out
Executive Administration
Sr Admin Assist for V.P. Corporate Ops and Eng (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 4, 2013
Great job development opportunities and training. Operational Excellent program was top notch and extremely useful.
State nof the art facility
Production Lead (Former Employee) –  West Chester, OHSeptember 27, 2013
Amylin was a great opportunity for me to showcase my abilities within a start up facility.
Productive and Supportive Management, Staff, and Environment
Contract Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 27, 2013
A typical day at work included solo medical research or team meetings to discuss advancement in research projects.
Pros
experience and support
Cons
must enjoy working in solitude most of the time
Amylin used to be a fantastic place to work.
Senior Developer (Former Employee) –  San DiegoMay 27, 2013
When I started in 2001, we were a small, sleek research focused company, and it was awesome! But success was our downfall - after we brought out 2 new, first in calls, drugs, the company changed drastically, focusing solely on sales. Too many sales people, VPs and lawyers, not enough scientists. The BMS acquisition was inevitable.
Pros
the people - who unfortunately were laid off.
Cons
executive managment.
Good Company
Filling Technician (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 25, 2013
Good pharmaceutical company, relatively new manufacturing facility, still going through growing pains.
Contracted IT Support, multi-role
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAApril 12, 2013
Amylin Pharmaceuticals, La Jolla, CA 04/05 – 08/06
Technical Support Analyst

• Part-time Contractor working with Instructional System Design.
• Created training modules and how-to videos.
• Created SEO (Web Search Optimization) for relevant website content searches and documentation management for EMR and DMS Manager.
Pros
great location, easy parking.
Cons
no direct hire :-(
Innovative small company environment with the passion to help people with Diabetes live better a quality of life
Diabetes Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 5, 2013
I am learning at Amylin the logic behind a prescribers decision making when recommending a treatment algorithm for patients with Diabetes. There is not a template or one way to treat all patients. There has to be consideration and a specific plan for each patient as each one will have a customized treatment plan.

Each day at Amylin is an incredible journey and learning experience working with innovative therapeutics and injectables that work in many ways to manage a patients diabetes and help them get to their individual goals.

A typical day is when I am working with Endocrine specialist and their staff and having meaningful discussions regarding what they feel is important to them when prescribing diabetes medications. I educate the physicians and staff fully so that they have a trust so after I leave the office they are prepared to educate the patient and provide them with the tools they need to accomplish their goals.

Our main product is the successful launch of Bydureon. A GLP-1 class medication and the first of its kind in a once-weekly dosing schedule. Training the office staff and physician is a major responsibility in order to make them feel absolutely comfortable when it became their turn to teach the patient.

We work in small pods with other sales professionals where we have some accounts that we share and have some overlap. Coordination of when and where each of us need to be is also an essential aspect to the position. Routing patterns need to be accurate and agreed upon by all so we do not duplicate our efforts and step on each others toes.

The hardest part
  more... of the job is competing for our share of voice against a major competitor that has a significantly larger sales force. Another challenge that we face is convincing the prescribers on when to implement our medications. There are so many options a doctor can utilize it can get confusing, even for a physician. Our job is to know everything about the diabetes patient and their medications they could possibly be taking and when we it would be appropriate to begin starting our specific medication.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when we return into a physicians office and the doctor pulls you aside to tell you about the success of a patient that has recently started on your medication and they are now have positive outcomes and reaching their goals. It happens quite frequently with this medication.
Pros
control of your income based on how successful you are at selling
Cons
this position is not your typical 9-5, more like around the clock.
Above average pharmaceutical company to work with. High level of independence and territory level business level decision making.
Diabetes Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHMarch 4, 2013
Amylin offered a great opportunity to develop you own individual business plan tailored to your individual geography. The management allowed for independent thinking and the ability to grow your business as you saw fit. Pay, bonus and benefits were typical of all pharmaceutical companies, nothing here stands out as great or awful.
Great company while I was there.
Division Sales Manager / Area Clinical Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 11, 2013
Exclusive market penetration, and enjoyed the B2B model and therapeutic area.
Pros
start-up
Cons
start-up
Great people and enviroment
Bulk Technician (Current Employee) –  West Chester, OHJanuary 7, 2013
Management is involved and everyone is motivated. Excellent place to work. It's really been a pleasure to work with such great people.
Pros
great people and enviroment
Cons
weak benefits
Small biotech company that focused on research and development of products for diabetes and weight loss.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 2, 2012
A typical day at work involved working in the field with sales representatives calling on customers. Sales calls began with a thorough review of the market, managed care status of Amylin products, as well as prescriber needs. Situational leadership utilized to help set expectations of sales calls as well as discuss success and/or future development.
Sales people want to be developed. They want to provide their customers with the latest information and to make the time they spend with their customers relevant to the customer and the patients they serve.
Management at Amylin was focused on sales attainment. Situational Leadership was utilized throughout the entire company.
My co-workers at Amylin were focused on sales attainment and people development. My management team consisted of high achievers who were focused on hitting sales goals while also providing positive coaching to their teams for individual and team development.
The hardest part of my job was the travel. I covered 8 states and was away from home 3-4 nights per week. Time management was a key focus for me to be able to work with my team and address the business needs of the team at the same time.
The most enjoyable part of my job was celebrating the successes of the individuals on my team. Jointly establishing goals and seeing the members of my team hit or exceed their goals was a key factor in the enjoyment of my job.
Pros
small company allowed for interaction at all levels and departments
Cons
company was sold in august of 2011
Dynamic Work Place
Validation Engineer II (Current Employee) –  West Chester, OHSeptember 30, 2012
Amylin is a great place to work. The facility has bulk production, filling, and packaging capability. A typical day at Amylin involves supporting manufacturing batches and change control support. We have multiple capital and expense projects. I am involved in a major capital project validating the CIP system to clean the Bulk production line. The work pace is fast and provides employees with oppurtunities for effective cross training.
Pros
good co-workers, good health benefits
Cons
work can get very hectic

4.3