Anadarko Petroleum Corporation Employee Reviews

The company is great at the corporate office, but lacks field support
Sr. Safety Representative (Former Employee) –  fieldMarch 12, 2016
I feel the company has grown so much and so fast, with corporate VP's and upper management not having field oil and gas experience, they have lost focus on where their product comes from. They pay well with good benefits, especially at the corporate offices, but the stress in the field not getting the same benefits, work/life balance, and focus on production first to meet corporate expectations, rather than be consistent with their core values, this has given them instability. Too many programs being carried out to accomplish someone's review goals, rather than using the common sense strategy. But overall a very good company to work for.
Pros
bonuses, PTO
Cons
has become to big/topheavy and lost touch with the field
Excellent work place with compassionate and understanding management.
Fieldman (Former Employee) –  Carrizo Springs, TXMarch 14, 2016
I worked for Anadarko Petroleum Corporation for over 5 years but was unfortunately laid off very recently due to the sinking cost of oil.

I operated and maintained compression facilities and my typical day consisted of walking the yard and looking for faults and dificiencies, logging compressor run time status, and making repairs to facility equipment.

Management was some of the best I've worked with in my 20 years of being out in the workforce and they tried hard to make working at Anadarko as safe and as enjoyable as possible!

I got along with all of my fellow coworkers, and they're a lot of great, hard working guys and gals.

The hardest part of my job was definitely learning that I was getting laid off, but they did offer me an excellent severance package!
Pros
Excellent benefits, 401K, PTO, and hourly pay is great!
Cons
Getting laid off.
Wonderful place to work. The people are excellent.
Sr. Spatial Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 16, 2016
The work culture and life balance is really exceptional.
The compensation and benefits are second to none.

In my four years, I learned a great deal about the oil and gas world from a fortune 500 company. My training was in the geospatial context (GIS). I found meeting the needs of the field staff at the operational level was the most rewarding part of my solutions and work efforts.
I would say meeting the spatial analysis needs and GIS needs of APC staff was my greatest pleasure. I also enjoyed providing GIS/ iMaps training to APC field staff.
My co-workers and teammates were wonderful and extremely capable. I'd say that management was perhaps the weakest part of of the team. Decisions and leadership were wanting often however being the worker-bee, it was difficult to know the pressures and politics the management team was under. Even in this light, I appreciate all that the management did for the team.

Due to economic pressures, APC was forced to layoff 17% of their staff and I was a causality of the market.
Pros
Work Life Balance. Coworkers. Small wins
Cons
Management communication/direction.
Great Place to work but not secure
Specialist III (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMarch 24, 2016
Depending on what department you work in, when the market takes a dip, you may be the first considered for the cut.
At times you may have so much to do you just don't know how you will finish it all and then there are times you wonder what you are going to do all week because there just isn't anything there.
Pros
Great Work Life Balance and Benefits
Cons
Can't control the market
Good to Employees
Staff ITS Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 6, 2016
Good environment with great people. Everyone was very friendly and day to day work was interesting and challenging. You do have some weeks when you are on call that limit your personal activities but overall worth it.
Pros
People, Benefits, and Work Environment
Cons
Dependency on Commodity Prices
Best company I have ever worked for!
Land Analyst (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXMarch 29, 2016
The summary says it all. This is by far the best company I have ever worked for. The working environment was relaxed and encouraging. They provided training, excellent benefits, and excellent compensation.
Great company but little room for growth for non Petroleum Engineer
Senior Engineer Tech (Current Employee) –  Granite TowerFebruary 18, 2016
Anadarko is a fantastic company. I have nothing bad to say about the company with one exception. As a non-engineer, my ability to move up in the company is essentially non-existent. Despite creating various process and projects that have created value for the company, I am pretty much where I am going to be until I retire unless I go get a petroleum engineering degree. The company supports people going back and getting more education so this is something that can be fixed if a person is willing to go back and do it. The overall structure of the company has some inefficiencies that are frustrating at times but this is normal for a large company.

With over 18 years of management experience, I feel I could help the company with some of the issues they have. But without the ability to be in a managerial role, it is really hard to make any kinds of procedural change. I do believe the culture is really first class and I think they are open to non-direct leadership which allows us lower on the totem pole to have influence but we are still limited to where we can formally get to in the company.

If you are looking for a solid, salt of the earth place to work, Anadarko is unbeatable. If you are a non petroleum engineer with aspirations of being a manager or rising in the company, you might find it frustrating.
Pros
Great benefits, good culture, nice and smart people, dedication to the employee
Cons
Lots of movement of staff, silos, limited career ladder for non engineers
Great work/life Balance and Benefits
Sr HR Analyst (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXMarch 15, 2016
Comp and Benefits at Anadarko were amazing. The facilities and amenities were fantastic, too and the people that work there make it a wonderful place to come to work every day.
Great work/life balance
Sr. GIS Analyst (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 14, 2016
Anadarko is a great place workplace. The work/life balance and benefits are nearly impossible to beat. Be weary of constant commodity changes.
Great Company
Plant Water Guy (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXMarch 4, 2016
Anadarko was/is a great company to work for and they do care about their employees. I would recommend the Sea Bass to fish lovers everywhere.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Laying Off
Operations - Platteville, CO
Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  Platteville, COSeptember 21, 2016
APC has the resources to be a leader in industry, not many operators in the DJ have quite the horsepower Anadarko does. Engineers are world class in my experience, and as far as tech goes they are years ahead of their counterparts. Their fatal flaw lies in their management, who are pedestrian at best compared to their tech and engineering. Middle management is staffed with former operators who may have been great at operations but have no understanding of employee development or leadership.
Pros
Best in class operations, truley great minds progressing the cause.
Cons
Leadership qualities are cookie cutter, and valuies are mere lip service.
Excellent Company to work for
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJuly 11, 2016
I love working at Anadarko. It is a great place to work. I love the management team and the organization as a whole. My typical work day is filled with dealing with contracts and reconciliations. I have learned quite a bit here. I learned expense reporting, invoicing, risk accounting. My co-workers are a wonderful group of people to work with. The hardest part of my job is the lack of customer service I do. I thrive on helping people, but in my current position, I do not have much contact with people. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I work for an outstanding company.
Pros
Generous Personal time and work balance
Cons
No opportunity to change my current position.
My friends are jealous of me!
Operations Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Williamsport, PANovember 10, 2015
I am often asked how I like my job. I always respond, "I love it!" People look at me in disbelief when I tell them how wonderful it is to work for such an amazing company. The people here make it easy and fun to come to work.
Pros
Benefits, supportive supervisor
Cons
Industry is slow right now.
Na
Operator II (Current Employee) –  KansasNovember 17, 2015
Excellent company, great benefits, and great people.

Excellent environment, safety is first

This company hires the elite professionals in the workforce

it is an excellent place to learn the market in the oil and gas industry
Fun loving crew members.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vernal, UTAugust 3, 2016
Managed outgoing & incoming well files used in the oil field. Keep track of the crew locations daily and maintain logistic board. Relief receptionist.

I learned how to read oil & gas well sites, download and receive electronic files, maintained daily oil & gas spreadsheet using Excel.

Poor communication between department managers.

The most enjoyable part was learning new skills and interacting with the crew members and vendors.

The hardest part was when work slowed down, which ended my job.
Best team environment I have expereinced!
Operations Engineering Consultant (Former Employee) –  Evans, COMay 26, 2015
Research data and create workover procedures for vertical and directional wells offset to new horizontal completion projects to ensure safe operations and environmental compliance to internal and external regulations.

Assist workover rig supervisors with engineering data and analysis support, technical and financial project decisions, and interface with government engineering office for regulatory compliance

Coworkers most always focused on getting the task done, not focused on stewing over unimportant details. Truly dedicated to winning as a team.

Management got a great group of employees together and was excellent at creating a productive and effective team environment.
Pros
Compensation, Free lunch, Environment of trust and responsibility
Cons
Long Commute
Great company to work for and great people!
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carthage, TXJuly 12, 2016
I enjoyed working at Anadarko very much and had great co-workers. I learned quite a bit being in the oil and gas industry but I also learned it has risks. The management was great, I enjoyed going to work every day. I very much enjoyed all the interaction with vendors and friends I made along the way working there.
Pros
Free lunches and my daughter was able to come to work on days she needed to.
productive
Sr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJanuary 21, 2016
Involved in gathering business requirements from the end users and management.
Created high quality functional requirement specifications and supporting documents for business systems.
Responsible for establishing and maintaining positive business relationships with IT managers and clients, and ensuring that business objectives and priorities are aligned.
Created and updated a weekly Natural Gas Storage/Withdrawal & Pricing Piece.
Actively involved throughout all steps of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
Gathered Business/Functional Requirements from Business/R&D Users.
Managed internal R&D and client sponsored web based projects.
I like my 5 weeks of paid time off and other benefits
Production Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kermit, TXMay 15, 2016
Anadarko has a generous paid time off plan for its employees, ranging from 4 weeks to 7 weeks per year depending on your life experience. I am currently eligible for 5 weeks of paid time off per year. At this point in my career with any of Anadarko's peer companies, I would be eligible for only 2-3 weeks of paid time off, so I am grateful for Anadarko's generous time off and other benefits that are similar or greater to its peers.
One of the best companies to work for
Sr. IT Infrastructure Project Manager (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 2, 2016
People are very friendly and very professional. I had three different bosses when I worked there and they were all great. Excellent management structure and I believe that is why they were so efficient. As a project manager there, I was able to manage twenty or more projects concurrently and without any real problems.

As far as the typical work schedule, they have flex-hours and 9/80 is also available, but only for employees (no 9/80 for contractors). Working from home was not commonly allowed, especially for contractors. Dress code is business casual (no tie), except for Fridays when jeans can be worn.

The work environment is nice in the corporate office, I saw very few cubes and they were in the main help desk area, which is common or expected. Because most people had their own office, there was minimal informal chatter or gossip in general. Most people were in their office (peacefully and quiet) and able to concentrate on getting work done.

The hardest part of the job was having to leave it and move on (I got laid off because of the low oil prices in 2015). The best part of the job was working with and learning from the fine team of professionals that work at Anadarko.
Pros
Excellent people, great management structure and very nice office environment.
Cons
Contractors cannot take advantage of the 9/80 schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Anadarko Petroleum Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5