Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com Employer Reviews

Great place and people to work with.
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 7, 2014
They are a great company to work for and there are great people that are friendly and easy to get along with.
Didn't really like the phones.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), Orem UTAugust 28, 2014
Ancestry is a good company it just wasn't my cup of tea. A lot of angry callers and the regulations that were put on you as a phone agent were annoying.
Fun and neat experience
Ancestry research (Current Employee), Brandenburg, KYAugust 8, 2014
Researching my ancestors has given me an insight to where I came from
Incredible product and equally stellar employees - the best working experience of my life!
Recruiting Manager (Current Employee), Provo, UTJuly 9, 2014
Pros: great in-house cafe, untouchable product
Passionate and engaged employees and management that sincerely care about the work they do and the product they support.
good pass time during the day
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Ridgewood, NYJune 13, 2014
I was a pretty good job over all I just didn't like that we had to wait so long to get help with the customers and tech reports were never made when they said they reported it
Terrific people and a modern, clean data center
Data Center Administrator (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 12, 2014
Pros: good pay, great people, nice environment and current technology
Cons: none i can think of
Worked in one of Ancestry.com's data centers. They have lots of nice, current technology to work with and very competent people at all levels. Loved working with my team.
Sucks
Sales & Support (Former Employee), Orem, UTNovember 15, 2013
Pros: cafeteria food, never enough for all employees!
Cons: h/r is not available unless you want to send an email.
A Typical day at work is very stressful and some customers are rude and abusive towards employees. They will make the issues personal towards you and then claim that you hung up on them. In all my years of call center experience they are the worst bunch of customers I have ever dealt with.

I have learned a lot of important information on my ancestors. – more... A plus is my family loves that I'm working for them, but on the other hand, not so much. I am not happy there.

Management could use a serious overhaul!! They're not on the same page. I don't like feeling as if I'm being micromanaged by senior management. Employees get told that they have never fired anyone for their call time, but they write you up for it and put you on a final and tell you to improve or you're gone. Doesn't make any sense at all. They lie & cheat their employees out of their dignity and expect too much from them in a 3 week training and then slam them with everything you need to work on your own. They tell you they have only fired employees for attendance problems, another lie!

Great coworkers. But the turnover is ridiculously high!!! They pack up your desk into a box while your super is firing you and escort you out the door like a criminal leaving a prison.

The hardest part of the job, lack of support from the so called supervisors and they hold you accountable for the long hold time to reach support!!! The hold time goes against your call time, as if it's your fault in the first place for needing help. I have personally waited more than 10 minutes for any supervisor or support department to answer my call. I see they all of them are goofing off in chat which is supposed to be some of our support instead of assisting you. It's a vicious cycle!!

Their attendance policy is unthinkably stupid!!! VTO is non existent, but they tell you it's available if the call volume goes down!! Phones are poorly covered, hold time is a long wait for our customers. And employee don't get anytime to breathe!!

They call themselves and Equal Opportunity Employer, but promote the newbies to positions without posting them for long time employees to fill. How is that equal? Exactly!!

The most enjoyable part of the job is I'll find another one. – less
Decent workplace
Customer Support (Former Employee), Provo, UTAugust 27, 2013
I worked at ancestry more out of necessity then anything. That being said, the managers were very understanding and helpful. I didn't really get to know my co-workers though, as all the time at work was spent interacting with clients.
Good company to work for
Sale and Support Specialist / Tech Support (Former Employee), Provo, UTDecember 31, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people with the website and finding their ancestors.
Use to be a fun place to work and is now is not
Customer Solution Agent (Current Employee), Provo, UTNovember 27, 2012
Pros: we had free bagle thursday, and video games in customer support to relieve the stress
Cons: all the above is gone, employee morale is low, job reviews batter worker morale. seem to guarantee worker will fail. you do nothing right.
I loved my position as a work at home agent. Now that position has been eliminated. All agents are now called in. When I first began working with the company it was a breath of fresh air for a large corporation. None of the back stabbing, very high energy and positivity.

Since growing, through the work of its agents, it's now cold, lacking in care – more... of its employees and customers who literally make their business. – less
Terrible Atmosphere
Sales Every Month (Former Employee), Provo, UTOctober 26, 2012
No one wants to be there, no advancement, all you do is cancel subscriptions for over priced subscriptions
Fun, work environment with really good people that care about their employees
Digital Preservation Specialist (Former Employee), Provo, UTAugust 1, 2012
Pros: fun, flexible work place
Cons: short breaks, not a lot of benefits for part-time employes
A typical day would include taking various types of content and scanning them into in house programs in order to enhance them for the company website. I think my favorite part of working here was my co-workers. It was a very fun and relaxing environment.
ok place to work
International Customer Service (Former Employee), utahJuly 2, 2012
Pros: good benifits
Cons: poor managment
It was alright, it had its fun moments. It was fun to talk to people in the UK and all over the world.
Working in Customer Support
Member Services Representative (Former Employee), Provo, UTApril 26, 2012
Pros: good benefits if you are full time.
Cons: this department works all holidays and weekends, sometimes it is hard to get requested time off.
You will be answering a wide variety of calls. You need to be very patient. There is a lot of emphasis placed on stats and handle time. You need to be abel to learn quickly and act on the spot. The web site changes rapidly and you usually find out when a member calls in. You need to be able to handle the call and quickly assist with the change and take – more... feedback. It was enjoyable finding family records for the members. The billing is automatically renewed and the online cancel doesn't always work. Because of this you will be dealing with some angry customers. – less
Ancestry.com
Manager, International Member Support (Current Employee), Provo, UTMarch 11, 2011
Ancestry.com is an excellent company to work for. I have never worked for another company that so greatly values its employees. This organization truly encourages an "open door" policy and feedback is delivered consistently. Members of the leadership team are always available to discuss performance and to coach employees about how to improve. Ancestry – more... encourages promotion from within so there is a lot of opportunity for upward mobility. – less

About Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com is the world's largest online resource for family history. We have helped pioneer the market for online family history – Read more