Ancestry Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Fun workplace, kinda sucky job
SENIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJuly 3, 2017
Basically, working at Ancestry is nice. I enjoyed working there. The people are really fantastic and it's pretty much as good as a call center can get. But it's still a call center.
Fun, good work place
Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 28, 2017
This was a normal call center job, and was surprisingly good to me.

Only reason I left was due to having to relocate for school or I would have stayed.

Friendly staff, great benefits, and wonderful flexibility with scheduling.
Great place to work!!!
Customer Solutions Associate (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTMay 3, 2017
This was a great place to work and I enjoyed my 2 years here! Management is great overall though there are definitely improvements to make. Benefits and pay were the best out of any job I've had and this I really enjoyed! Co-workers and trainers were also pleasant.
Pros
Great benefits, good & steady hours with plenty of OT opportunities, Pto, Vto
Cons
Updates to job or software aren't always communicated
Loved working for Ancestry. It taught me a lot.
Ancestry call Agent (Former Employee) –  Worked from home.May 1, 2017
Really great company to work for. Always have help from multiple supervisors. Everyone is so kind and Polite. As long as your job is done there is no complaints at all. I really loved working for them.
Fun place to work, management is great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTApril 11, 2017
Great place to work, good salary, cares about your success and privacy of customers information. I would recommend this job to anyone who would like a fair, calm place to work.
Pros
Meals available to purchase
Cons
Not a lot of other places around if you don't want to eat there.
The only care about money
Solutions specialist (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTMarch 5, 2017
They only care about money. They make everyone work all but two days per year. Ok, it's a business, but it's a lot of trash saying you have to work everyday to support people about their pointless ancestry questions and listening to complaints about hey are Native American when heir DNA says the aren't. I hate this job. They also really just don't care. RPM- the people who are over scheduling and what not are lazy, but when there is an actual family emergency they laugh and say you can leave unless you talk an attendance point- dumb! My manager was great though, but his manager wasn't worth much.
Good thing I had a night job at the local cat walk.
Pros
Free cereal and hot chocolate
Cons
Bad work life balance, management that only wants to look for negatives and not acknowledge the positive things, bad environment, management gets in trouble and others have to pay for it
Great place
Director (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 17, 2017
You are playing with the A team where everyone is performing. Great products and growth and the opportunity to grow as the company grows.
Pros
lots of opportunity
Cons
very competitive
Great company
Director Member Services (Current Employee) –  Lehi, UTJanuary 12, 2017
Ancestry has great products with little competitive threat. There are not many companies who play in this industry and with the addition of the DNA product, the doors are wide open.
Pros
Great product line
Cons
Upward mobility
Incredible Culture
FP&A Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTDecember 5, 2016
Its a fantastic company to work for. There are great incentives to succeed. The company's success is attributed to the managements effectiveness in providing a great work environment
Pros
Great people
Many engineers have left, the rest are looking or are new
Sr Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTAugust 30, 2016
Ancestry used to be a great place to work for software engineers. But is has continually gone downhill. They used to give stock. Now they don't. The management said that stock was only for "people like them." Management doesn't care about the people. They are all just waiting to cash out.

Why do you think there are so many job openings at Ancestry?
Pros
new building
Cons
no career advancement
Little help with growth
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UT 84043August 4, 2016
I felt I wasn't given the help needed for me to grow in this job. The management didn't want to be bothered with helping or answering questions to a problem.
I on the greatest Mamagers of my life. I will miss him
Data Center Engineer (Current Employee) –  SLC, UT DataCenterJuly 10, 2016
I came in and check the tickets that came over night.
I maid repairs a go the servers back on line. I then moved to my three backup environment, and ran the Exchange Backup reports, The CDPE reports and Ancestry.com backup reports. Any restores that need to be restored that morning,

At Ancestry I learded Microsoft Office, and all Microsoft Operating Systems, (10years),
CommVault Storage Backups (5years),
Vmware and Hyper-V virtual environments (6 years),
Pros
free Meals
Cons
Long Hours
Good company, but call center work is demanding
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 28, 2016
A good company to work for--if you can meet the call time limitations. Good pay and benefits. Management does care--but there are metrics that must be met. It's great to be able to help people out, but sometimes there are customers who should not be around any technical equipment (computers, tablets, smartphones) and many struggle with the on-line services Ancestry provides.
Pros
Free cereal.
Cons
Time management is strictly monitored.
n/a
operator (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTApril 29, 2016
just don't like it answering to many phone calls in a short time frame and try solving a problem that the customer was having with ancestry product
Good company, little opportunity.
Senior Auditor (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 2, 2016
Ancestry is the best place I have ever worked. Unfortunately, it is very hard to be recognized for your work and move up in the company.
Was good
Member Services (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 18, 2016
I worked here for five years. When first employed, Ancestry was a great company to work for. Management valued Member Services and created a great atmosphere for their employees. Over the years, they have turned member services into a typical 'call center' atmosphere with very scripted responses to their customers. It has since had a steady decline with over all satisfaction. There is no job security and no way of moving up within the company (other than staying just within member services).
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
More of a typical 'call center' approach
Super Fun Company
Archival Digitization Specialist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTNovember 21, 2015
I really liked the company, they took care of the employees. They offered free breakfast for everyone each morning along with free fresh fruit and for those with a sweet tooth they had free soda fountains and frozen yogurt each day as well. The work was fairly simple and repetitive but still fun to do. Supervisors were always super helpful and very approachable.
Pros
Fair pay, fun environment with fun people.
Great Company
Archival Digitalization Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 18, 2015
I couldn't speak more highly of this company. I am in a contract position and to be completely honest I'm sad this job will be coming to an end. You get great pay, they have incentives for doing well, you can also get benefits through the company. Overall I love the site I work at including the people and the job itself!
Very professional crew and knowledgeable mentor.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Provo, UtahAugust 19, 2015
Really great place to start internship and highly intelligent developers who will assist you any way they can. Great benefits and wonderful learning process. Will definitely help you to grow as a developer.
ancestry.com employment experience
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  homeJuly 24, 2015
Its 40 hours a week and the calls do not stop. 90% of the calls are cancel calls and we do not give refunds for monthly subs so customers yell most of the time. Ancestry does not verify email so if a customer enters .coom instead of .com its impossible to look up there account so the calls take forever. why they don't verify emails i do not know. the sales calls are alright and the support calls i like but like i said its mostly cancel calls.
Pros
free ancestry account, i get to work from home
Cons
the pay is very low, not enough to live on, i get to work from home so i end up rarely leaving the house

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ancestry. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval