Ancestry Employee Reviews in United States

Was good
Member Services (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 18, 2016
I worked here for five years. When first employed, Ancestry was a great company to work for. Management valued Member Services and created a great atmosphere for their employees. Over the years, they have turned member services into a typical 'call center' atmosphere with very scripted responses to their customers. It has since had a steady decline with over all satisfaction. There is no job security and no way of moving up within the company (other than staying just within member services).
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
More of a typical 'call center' approach
I on the greatest Mamagers of my life. I will miss him
Data Center Engineer (Current Employee) –  SLC, UT DataCenterJuly 10, 2016
I came in and check the tickets that came over night.
I maid repairs a go the servers back on line. I then moved to my three backup environment, and ran the Exchange Backup reports, The CDPE reports and Ancestry.com backup reports. Any restores that need to be restored that morning,

At Ancestry I learded Microsoft Office, and all Microsoft Operating Systems, (10years),
CommVault Storage Backups (5years),
Vmware and Hyper-V virtual environments (6 years),
Pros
free Meals
Cons
Long Hours
Good company, but call center work is demanding
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 28, 2016
A good company to work for--if you can meet the call time limitations. Good pay and benefits. Management does care--but there are metrics that must be met. It's great to be able to help people out, but sometimes there are customers who should not be around any technical equipment (computers, tablets, smartphones) and many struggle with the on-line services Ancestry provides.
Pros
Free cereal.
Cons
Time management is strictly monitored.
Little help with growth
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UT 84043August 4, 2016
I felt I wasn't given the help needed for me to grow in this job. The management didn't want to be bothered with helping or answering questions to a problem.
Great Company
Archival Digitalization Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 18, 2015
I couldn't speak more highly of this company. I am in a contract position and to be completely honest I'm sad this job will be coming to an end. You get great pay, they have incentives for doing well, you can also get benefits through the company. Overall I love the site I work at including the people and the job itself!
n/a
operator (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTApril 29, 2016
just don't like it answering to many phone calls in a short time frame and try solving a problem that the customer was having with ancestry product
Good company, little opportunity.
Senior Auditor (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 2, 2016
Ancestry is the best place I have ever worked. Unfortunately, it is very hard to be recognized for your work and move up in the company.
Super Fun Company
Archival Digitization Specialist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTNovember 21, 2015
I really liked the company, they took care of the employees. They offered free breakfast for everyone each morning along with free fresh fruit and for those with a sweet tooth they had free soda fountains and frozen yogurt each day as well. The work was fairly simple and repetitive but still fun to do. Supervisors were always super helpful and very approachable.
Pros
Fair pay, fun environment with fun people.
Very professional crew and knowledgeable mentor.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Provo, UtahAugust 19, 2015
Really great place to start internship and highly intelligent developers who will assist you any way they can. Great benefits and wonderful learning process. Will definitely help you to grow as a developer.
Decent place to work
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 10, 2015
Great place to work if the focus is only Work life balance. If you are looking for a competitive place, this is not the one for you.
Interesting place to work.
Data Quality Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 23, 2015
A typical day at work can last at least 4 hours a day depending on the position you have in the company.
I learned to pay close attention to detail and how to search for ancestors.
Management was very friendly and they did their best to help me when I had a question.
Co-workers I had there were very friendly and very welcoming.
Hardest part about the job was the hours honestly. Like I said you can work at the very least 4 hours a day depending on your position in the company.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the cafe they have for employees. During your break, if you get hungry, there is a cafe you can go to, to grab something quick to eat.
Pros
employee cafe, ping pong table, friendly management.
Cons
short shifts.
ancestry.com employment experience
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  homeJuly 24, 2015
Its 40 hours a week and the calls do not stop. 90% of the calls are cancel calls and we do not give refunds for monthly subs so customers yell most of the time. Ancestry does not verify email so if a customer enters .coom instead of .com its impossible to look up there account so the calls take forever. why they don't verify emails i do not know. the sales calls are alright and the support calls i like but like i said its mostly cancel calls.
Pros
free ancestry account, i get to work from home
Cons
the pay is very low, not enough to live on, i get to work from home so i end up rarely leaving the house
Ancestry Review
Archival Digitization Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 9, 2015
The work environment is incredibly high paced. I've learned how history and technology work together for the greater good. My one major complaint is company culture and lack of communication between Ancestry's head quarters in Utah and it's satellite sites all over the country. There is a large disconnect which in turn causes negative company culture and confusion.
Working in Customer Support
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTApril 26, 2012
You will be answering a wide variety of calls. You need to be very patient. There is a lot of emphasis placed on stats and handle time. You need to be abel to learn quickly and act on the spot. The web site changes rapidly and you usually find out when a member calls in. You need to be able to handle the call and quickly assist with the change and take feedback. It was enjoyable finding family records for the members. The billing is automatically renewed and the online cancel doesn't always work. Because of this you will be dealing with some angry customers.
Pros
good benefits if you are full time.
Cons
this department works all holidays and weekends, sometimes it is hard to get requested time off.
It was a learning experience and I put all my effort into the job and it was very apparent that I wasn't suited for the job.
Customer Solutions Associate (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTMarch 12, 2014
The job was a good envirerment and made it as good as possible for employees working customer service over the phone daily. The benefits were very good and important to me. I realized that I wasn't cut out for the type of work and knew it was time for me to do the most appropriate thing and resign from the company.
Pros
health care and good benefits, and stability
Cons
realization it was a job that i didn't fit in, despite my best efforts realized i needed to move on to a different area of work
Ancestry.com
Manager, International Member Support (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 11, 2011
Ancestry.com is an excellent company to work for. I have never worked for another company that so greatly values its employees. This organization truly encourages an "open door" policy and feedback is delivered consistently. Members of the leadership team are always available to discuss performance and to coach employees about how to improve. Ancestry encourages promotion from within so there is a lot of opportunity for upward mobility.
Fun, work environment with really good people that care about their employees
Digital Preservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTAugust 1, 2012
A typical day would include taking various types of content and scanning them into in house programs in order to enhance them for the company website. I think my favorite part of working here was my co-workers. It was a very fun and relaxing environment.
Pros
fun, flexible work place
Cons
short breaks, not a lot of benefits for part-time employes
DRive fullfillment
Warehouse employee (Former Employee) –  9000 s 700 w sandy, UTApril 21, 2015
its awesome, laid back, consistent work and great hrs.
9 am - 5pm you have a snack area, you are assigned what project to attend that day, lunch is 30min-to an hr.
you only work weekdays.
you fold, scan, lift load, unload, label, fold clothing, package delicate boxes, use the forklift, use common computer knowledge.
Use to be a fun place to work and is now is not
Customer Solution Agent (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTNovember 27, 2012
I loved my position as a work at home agent. Now that position has been eliminated. All agents are now called in. When I first began working with the company it was a breath of fresh air for a large corporation. None of the back stabbing, very high energy and positivity.

Since growing, through the work of its agents, it's now cold, lacking in care of its employees and customers who literally make their business.
Pros
we had free bagle thursday, and video games in customer support to relieve the stress
Cons
all the above is gone, employee morale is low, job reviews batter worker morale. seem to guarantee worker will fail. you do nothing right.
Sucks
Sales & Support (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 15, 2013
A Typical day at work is very stressful and some customers are rude and abusive towards employees. They will make the issues personal towards you and then claim that you hung up on them. In all my years of call center experience they are the worst bunch of customers I have ever dealt with.

I have learned a lot of important information on my ancestors. A plus is my family loves that I'm working for them, but on the other hand, not so much. I am not happy there.

Management could use a serious overhaul!! They're not on the same page. I don't like feeling as if I'm being micromanaged by senior management. Employees get told that they have never fired anyone for their call time, but they write you up for it and put you on a final and tell you to improve or you're gone. Doesn't make any sense at all. They lie & cheat their employees out of their dignity and expect too much from them in a 3 week training and then slam them with everything you need to work on your own. They tell you they have only fired employees for attendance problems, another lie!

Great coworkers. But the turnover is ridiculously high!!! They pack up your desk into a box while your super is firing you and escort you out the door like a criminal leaving a prison.

The hardest part of the job, lack of support from the so called supervisors and they hold you accountable for the long hold time to reach support!!! The hold time goes against your call time, as if it's your fault in the first place for needing help. I have personally waited more than 10 minutes for any supervisor or support department to answer my call.
  more... I see they all of them are goofing off in chat which is supposed to be some of our support instead of assisting you. It's a vicious cycle!!

Their attendance policy is unthinkably stupid!!! VTO is non existent, but they tell you it's available if the call volume goes down!! Phones are poorly covered, hold time is a long wait for our customers. And employee don't get anytime to breathe!!

They call themselves and Equal Opportunity Employer, but promote the newbies to positions without posting them for long time employees to fill. How is that equal? Exactly!!

The most enjoyable part of the job is I'll find another one.
Pros
cafeteria food, never enough for all employees!
Cons
h/r is not available unless you want to send an email.