Working for the Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center and its support organization, the Anchorage Museum Association, means working with dynamic people and doing meaningful work for Anchorage's premier cultural hallmark.
JOB TITLE: Accounting & Payroll Specialist
SUMMARY POSITION STATEMENT:
Under general supervision of the Chief Financial Officer, this position is responsible for performing the daily accounting functions for all Museum. This position is responsible for all aspects of payroll including maintenance, preparation, data entry, deductions, balancing, and payroll taxes. This position is responsible for understanding and maintaining systems and controls, which verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data. This position assists museum staff in accounting related matters and providing internal financial and budgetary reporting regarding museum operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
- Responsible for accurate preparation and balancing of bi-weekly and special payroll runs.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate distribution of all payroll checks and direct deposit earnings statements.
- Processes various payroll adjustments such as shortages, garnishments, bonuses, child support payments, and changes in all voluntary deductions.
- Respond as requested with accurate and timely work to facilitate the preparation of financial reports.
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures, and instructions.
- Responsible for processing and/or oversight of accounts payable, payroll, receivables and cash flow functions.
- Responsible for monthly account reconciliations.
- Maintenance of confidential employee compensation records and tracking of employee benefit costs.
- Assists various departments with account coding.
- Maintenance of accounting records in a form that allows for efficient access to historical information.
- Responsible for assisting with the preparation of the annual audit.
- Responsible for implementing and monitoring of internal controls related to information processing.
- Participates in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of special reports.
- Attends company/departmental required meetings and trainings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Proven analytical and problem solving abilities
- Ability to work and interact with departments throughout the organization
- Proven effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of accounting concepts, internal controls and reconciliation processes.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment, prioritize multiple projects, and seeks supervisory assistance as appropriate.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers, management, clients and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times while displaying
- High school education equivalent required;
- Must have two (2) to four (4) years of experience in payroll processing, accounting or related field;
- Three (3) to five (5) years of progressive accounting experience including full charge responsibilities;
- Or any equivalent combination of experience, education and/or training.
- Proficiency using MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.) and Acrobat at an advanced level required.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP).
- Experience utilizing a batch processing accounting software such as Microsoft Dynamics, Great Plains or Fundware.
- Non-profit accounting experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field.*
This is an FLSA-non-exempt-level position. The hourly pay rate range: $21.46/hr to $30.05/hr. The Anchorage Museum offers a competitive benefits package to full time/regular employees.
Interested parties must complete an employment application and submit it along with a resume and cover letter via email, fax or mail. Please note we are unable to accept resumes in place of an employment application. All positions are open until filled.
Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center
Attn: Human Resources
625 C Street, Anchorage, Alaska 99501
(907) 929-9200 tel
(907) 929-9216 fax
"The AMA will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex or marital status or who is a 'qualified individual with a disability,' as that phrase is defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act. AMA will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed and that employees are treated during employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, marital status or physical or mental disability.”
Posted 12/17/2012 BMK