Andersen Windows & Doors

Andersen Windows & Doors Employer Reviews

The good ole boy network
Supervisor (Former Employee), Luray, VAJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: a good product
Cons: no appreciation for employees
As a group of managers and supervisors we were pulled together by the head of the Storm Door division and told that 25% of us would not be there in 6 months. Why would anyone want to work there after being told that. This same person has a habit of cussing and swearing. I was told by other managers he has a problem with his temper, and no one has the guts to tell him about it. It so happens that several managers and supervisors left so the higher ups from bayport can make room for their cronies. A real poor way of going about things.
Hard Sell in Ohio
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), ValleyView, OhioDecember 25, 2014
Pros: canvassers are cute
Cons: mileage on personal car, no manager knows how to lead, low pay
1.)Seriously Overpriced product that is hard to sell.
2.)New Managers are COMPLETELY inept and DO NOT KNOW WINDOWS OR HOME IMPROVEMENT.
3.)Driving 800 miles per week minimum.
4.)Commissions are average but most can only average a few sales per month...can't make a living on that.
5.)Too many sales reps, not enough qualified leads with people that can afford a $1100 window (while Marvin and Pella are less $$$).
6.)The two incompetent Managers make $75K + so you can guess that it's your sales that makes them money.
7.) In conclusion: Sorry state of Affairs in ValleyView, Ohio with Renewal by Anderson. Poor training by the "Coach/Manager" but you learn to play word games and 'claps' in the office. They hired "diversity" at the expense of good leadership that can actually close business and lead a team of Alpha-Males. Sad because with the right leadership, things could be better. Oh by the way, the managers and two reps, sell a lower priced window on the side essentially stealing RbA leads. Again, it's a sad situation and not going to get better any time soon.
Typical large company with all the negatives
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Monroeville, PANovember 15, 2014
Pros: a nice check every once in awhile
Cons: everything else
This is a typical position within a large corporation where nothing that the company does seems to makes any sense or is any good to the employee. For example, the company keeps hiring even though they are already over staffed. The managers do very little managing and fail to stand up for you. The company created a position and brought in a "training" manager. We all feel this is a waste of time and money. It's all smoke and mirrors. From comments made repeatedly by the other reps, everyone is looking for other employment. The turn over is yearly so do yourself a favor, look elsewhere. Now that I think of it, maybe that's why they need a training manager because of the turnover.

The feeling and reality is that if we were treated good, there wouldn't be turn over. They just keep taking away and even the medical now stinks. The way compensation is paid out is changing after the first of the year so now we'll be waiting a month for one half of the commission and months for the second. The bottom line is you work for free trying to sell $1500-2500 windows, then they make you wait for your money. You're spending your money, gas and vehicle expenses every day. Talk about corporate greed! Sales are few and far between for 8 months out of the year because we are at least twice the price of every other window on the market then fall comes and you're without a check for four months.

The most upsetting thing is how unappreciated we are.
Decent work environment
Production Worker (Former Employee), Bayport, MNOctober 29, 2014
Pros: great people, fast pace and enjoyable work assignments, lots overtime opportunity, flexible work schedule also available, pay salary is good
Cons: long travels between stations, parkings are restricted, mandatory overtimes are a given, breaks are too short, difficult to get a hold of supervisor at times, shift rotation could be confusing and may change with or without your consent
I had work as a seasonal employee with this company. Seems like a decent work place to work at, there's plenty of assignments to work and lots of good people there. Lots of overtime opportunity and flexible schedule. Paid is decent.

Some major cons there is that walking from parking to facility takes a bit of time, same thing regarding going from one work station to the next. Newer workers will have trouble finding their way aroung the building. There are way too many workers but so few entrance/exit. Constant mandatory overtime on shift that you may or may not sign up for that you are required to work for some reason. Confusing shift rotation schedule, often had to cover for employees who are absent or on vacation. Low management support, getting a hold of your supervisor when you need them could be difficult at times since they often leave the facility most of the day. Parkings are limited (especially the closer ones), they are usually a first come first serve type of deal.
A good family company that is starting to get top heavy.
SUPPLY CHAIN PROJECT LEAD (Current Employee), Bayport, MNOctober 13, 2014
Pros: relevant work
Cons: untalented management
Andersen does a great job with giving people opportunities for growth and career advancement. The company, however, has lost its way with a complicated Matrix structure and lack of dynamic leaders.
Stressfull work invironment with little if no appreciation from upper management for the production employees.
Associate (Former Employee), Aurora,OhioSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: none come to mind
Cons: stressfull work environment for anyone who works on the production floor, impossible to (with good consience) take a break fearing failure on the production floor.
A couple interesting points.....
Most of the previous reviews are by "former" employees ...Why?
good or bad review this seems to be a company with a revolving door. SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

The "Custom Pultrusions" positions are posted as "Anderson Windows" positions...... in fact this is a "subsidiary of" Anderson corp.
This is to lure individuals to apply for a position that consists of a process that is very difficult to work in/with with continual improper training along with what could be considered questionable upper management.

The training is put on the senior operators (and sometimes poor operators) who are required to train and make good product with low scrap levels......operating the line itself is quite difficult without having to train someone. 75% or more of the people that are brought in to train don't want to work or are not able to learn the process.
This is just the beginning of many issues that cultivate a disgruntled work force (stating it politely)

That being said.....Supervision does not interview candidates (their opinion seemingly is not wanted or respected) , only upper management (with assistance of what could be considered a questionable HR entity) interviews candidates and generally very unsuccessfully.

Is this a good place to work? I doubt that you could get a positive answer from current workforce.

Could it be a good place to work? There is a small possibility if the proper individuals from the Corporate entity (not the "buddy" management team) became involved in a larger and more consistent manner.
Actually listening to individuals on the production floor and key individuals who seem to be what I would consider the best pultrusion minds in the business.

This facility is a "must have" for Anderson in order to produce a large percentage of its windows but the workforce is working in ungrateful conditions.
Productive and exciting place to work
management (Current Employee), Luray, VAJuly 28, 2014
Pros: dedicated employees
Cons: seasonality of business
Building, loading, and crafting windows and doors. The company is a great place to work for with the respect we receive from leadership.
Productive and great job experience
Shop Lead (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMay 31, 2014
Building, loading, and crafting windows and doors. The company was a great place to work for with the great respect we received from management. My manager was very motivating and rewarded me for a job well done. My most memorable time was when we had a job lunch and I received an award.
Good Place to Work on a temporary basis
Canvasser (Former Employee), Northborough, MAApril 29, 2014
Good place to work on a temporary basis, or during the summer. Not the most strict, and controlled workplace but people who work there are friendly and outgoing as you need to be to do well in this job.
Exciting fast paced environment
Digital Content Coordinator (Former Employee), Bayport, MNMarch 20, 2014
I enjoyed working as a Digital Content Coordinator at Anderson. I was a contract employee for a little over 3 months.
The job was challenging and taught me a lot in my short time there.
The hardest part of the job was the small amount of direction. The woman who hired me left the company 6 days after I started the position. This left me as the only one managing the consumer facing website.
great company with dedicated employees
SUPPLY CHAIN ANALYST III (Former Employee), Bayport, MNMarch 1, 2014
Pros: dedicated staff
Cons: na
50 to 60 hours per week.
Audit inventory cycle count and physical inventory data
Develop and implement ISO 9001 Procedures
Develop and publish KPI Executive Summaries
Great co-workers
Controlling internal stress
Leading dedicated Team members
Not enough help for the work load
Lead/Supervisor (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJanuary 27, 2014
Too much work load for the number of employees. My duties as a warehouse supervisor were to implement the daily hours of work into a productive work day for the company and to assign the employees to the appropriate work positions. Manage and assist employees on receiving and loading truck trailers with new windows and doors. Small packaging and LTL (palletizing), Supervising employees, training new employees, weekly progress performance sheets, inventory, weekly safety meetings, and weekly fire check inspections, etc. Opening and closing the warehouse.
Unhappy
Inside Sales (Current Employee), Oak Park HeightsNovember 4, 2013
Pros: free lunch now & again
Cons: see above
I am amazed how everyone says blah, blah, great place to work. Really, so constant stream of temp workers, whom the management team treat like idiots or indentured servants -is a good thing ? Favoritism is apparent. Low pay, poor work hours/ schedule. If the management thinks someone doesn't fit in , they purposely get rid of them. Managers/team leads are undone by anyone who has an original idea or suggestion for improvement of the work load. Weird vibe, work culture only works if a person likes petty office politics. Expected to call 200 home owners a day !
leading company in building materials
Director, Field Sales and Service, The Home Depot (Former Employee), Bayport, MNOctober 7, 2013
Pros: family friendly, bayport centric, great benefits
Cons: bayport centric, if you live elsewhere it is tough to be a part.
Nice place to work. Leading manufacture of window and patio door products with the #1 brand associated with each product.
Small-town Midwestern company with big goals
Marketing/Sales Development Intern (Former Employee), Bayport, MNJuly 8, 2013
Pros: nice colleagues
Cons: not much room to grow
Lovely place work with friendly colleagues and a very cozy, welcoming culture
Assemble all areas of making windows
Production Associate (Former Employee), Menomonie, WIJuly 3, 2013
Pros: good team building skills
work the assembly line
know all components to making window
satisfactory management
team player
manuvering the larger window
great work environment
Great place to work if left alone by management
Laborer (Former Employee), Bayport, MNMay 2, 2013
Pros: great pay
Cons: too many higher ups in the company
Worked here for eleven years and was permanently laid off with about 600 people in five years. Too many higher ups. No care for employees in my final years here
Advanced culture facility focused on quality
Supply Chain Intern (Former Employee), Bayport, MNMarch 26, 2013
Pros: great opportunity to build leadership experience
Cons: it took a couple of weeks to get into the hands on stuff, did not get to see much of the supply chain duties, worked more as an industrial engineer.
Company strongly focused on lean concepts and continuous improvement. Forecasted growth is propelling company in increasing work cell capabilities. Workers out on the floor were great, very personable and good to talk with. Office workers have a lot of meetings, and travel between other plants regularly.
good place to work
IT Business Analyst (Former Employee), Stillwater, MNFebruary 23, 2013
good place to work. great people. great attitudes. helpful people,
It was very interesting place,hard work but not boring,very good windows and doors
Parts and Order filler. (Former Employee), Bayport, MNAugust 3, 2012
Pros: they supplied glasses, ear plugs and gloves, it is a an amazing place and their windows and doors are the best.
Cons: too much walking, not enough entrances, felt like cattle going thru the gates.
There are some very dedicated, skilled employees there. I was a temp and wish I could been hired back. Loud place to work but a flurry of activity going at all times. I always had things to do or found things to do and they appreciated it . A lot of walking involved to get from parking lots and to get to your job station, you need good steel toed shoes or boots with good arch support, they didn't stress that enough but I found out after a few weeks. They supply the required safety glasses, ear plugs and gloves and that is a nice perk. I thought there were too many managers/foremans. Great shop superintendants though. The window and door plants are amazing!

About Andersen Windows & Doors

Windows of opportunity abound for Andersen, a maker of wood-clad windows and patio doors in North America. Andersen offers window – Read more