Andersen Windows & Doors Employee Reviews in United States

Great culture to the place.
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Menomonie, WIFebruary 19, 2016
-You clock in, do your daily stretches and get to work
-You tend to feel right at home. I have met many great people while working this job. I having nothing negative at all.
-Hardest part was leaving
-There wasn't much that I didn't like about this job
Pros
MANY!
Cons
Being a temp employee
Great day to work
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXFebruary 11, 2016
on a typical day you will be exposed to a lot of opportunities to make something different and try new ideas. All projects are taken very serious expecting good results.
Pros
Training, collaboration
Cool place to work for long years
Data Analyst \ETL Developer- Onsite coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 5, 2016
Excellent place to work with.
Very cool client and understanding work nature
Good life balance.
Choose Anadersen as your next company.. Fun to work with
Pros
Extremely professional and cultured work nature
Cons
Nothing to mention.
Highly recommendable staff and management.
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Bayport, MNFebruary 5, 2016
Andersen was extremely helpful and the employees were very respectful. They would always lend a helping hand to the newbies when asked. The management was very understanding of my requests for paid-time-off to go to my required music auditions for drum & bugle corps.
Pros
PTO, kind employees
Cons
Not a lot of change (same job the entire time I was employed)
I loved working at Andersen
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bayport, MNOctober 15, 2015
I'd love to still be there, but I just couldn't get the hang of one spot on the line, hinges. Other than that, I loved working there.

Working the line was fun, several of the guys would keep things interesting by either playing harmonica or telling great stories to keep the time flying past.

We'd switch which stations of the line we worked, which was good to keep things interesting, but I tended to not be able to get the hinges on the windows just right. I'd have liked a bit of one-on-one training so I'd have known how to do it better, but it just didn't pan out that way.
Pros
Great pay, good people to work with, managers were fair and consistant.
Cons
Those darn hinges - Grrr...
This job ad is constantly posted
IN HOME SALES (Former Employee) –  MONROEVILLE, PAOctober 5, 2015
Product is good when compared to poor quality windows, installation and warranty also good. Sales training focused on Hard Sale Closing. This is because their product price is 2-3X's cost when compared to equal quality window and if customer has any clue to reality, you're done! Highest price windows is due to multiple levels of management all getting there $ cut. Too many Sales Reps not enough quality leads. Take this job and you will quickly realize why they hire 4-5 new reps per month and run this ad constantly.
Pros
Managers at least try.
Cons
Turnover in sales team.
Great work community
Technical Writer - Knowledge Management (Current Employee) –  Oak Part Heights, MNAugust 11, 2015
I have yet to meet someone at the company I dislike. It is made up of many helpful, friendly people. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to learn the products in depth, and there are even training classes offered to help expand your knowledge of products where you might be interested to learn more.
Andersen Corporation is a great company to work for.
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Bayport, MNAugust 5, 2015
Andersen is a great company but unfortunately with the housing climate of late it has dropped off a bit on compensation and profit sharing is basically gone each year. Otherwise nice people, nice office and a good place to work.
Overview
Internal Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bayport, MNMay 26, 2015
My experience with them was very good. I come from a family company with a lot of the same values. The only thing I would change was the face was it seemed very union in the sense that once you have your job, show on time, and do the bare minimum there is nothing that can be done to move you forward. You couldn't be demoted, and whether or not you were working harder than the next guy it didn't matter. Time is time and the small guy has to stay where he is at regardless of effort. Other than that, culture was great.
Pros
Family oriented
Cons
I thought some people were just riding out their time to retirement.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Team member (Former Employee) –  Bayport, MNMay 8, 2015
An opportunity to be part of a team building products for customers with a long history of being a high quality and valued product.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
lay-offs
Productive and fun place to work - Overall great people (work life balance) instilled company who cares about their employees
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bayport, MN and Oak Park Heights, MNMay 6, 2015
I learned a lot about the culture for the just over a year tenure with Andersen Windows & Doors. In addition, the co-workers were great. Big company with the opportunity to make a lot of connections.
Pros
Free lunches, company outings
Cons
I was on a contract for a long time with no clear deadline
can be a wonderful place to work, develop and advance under good leadership
Fleet Safety and Compliance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bayport, MNMarch 15, 2015
Andersen has provided many growth opportunities. If under the right leadership you can develop, lead and advance. Just like with any company or job, under poor leadership it can be a miserable experience.
Pros
many opportunities to move around
Cons
some very difficult personalities to work with and folks with severe job insecurities
Fast-paced business that feels like family
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Bayport, MNJanuary 12, 2015
A typical day starts with each area meeting with their supervisors and discussing any information pertinent to the job (ie. safety, meetings, changes at work, etc). When working, people are generally friendly and will help if they are able to spare time. People in management positions have worked their way to their positions so they know the different aspects of the job and are generally down-to-earth. It does get hot in the summer but the company has a heat-awareness policy in place for extremely hot days to prevent overheating. Swinging-shifts is the hardest obstacle that I personally face but luckily they only swing between first and second shift (no third). I enjoy the sense of community that I get from working at Andersen's. Whether it is a potluck or a pizza party, the people I've worked with have the attitude of a large family.
Pros
close-knit environment, fast-paced workday, and decent pay
Cons
swing-shifts
Hard Sell in Ohio
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  ValleyView, OhioDecember 25, 2014
1.)Seriously Overpriced product that is hard to sell.
2.)New Managers are COMPLETELY inept and DO NOT KNOW WINDOWS OR HOME IMPROVEMENT.
3.)Driving 800 miles per week minimum.
4.)Commissions are average but most can only average a few sales per month...can't make a living on that.
5.)Too many sales reps, not enough qualified leads with people that can afford a $1100 window (while Marvin and Pella are less $$$).
6.)The two incompetent Managers make $75K + so you can guess that it's your sales that makes them money.
7.) In conclusion: Sorry state of Affairs in ValleyView, Ohio with Renewal by Anderson. Poor training by the "Coach/Manager" but you learn to play word games and 'claps' in the office. They hired "diversity" at the expense of good leadership that can actually close business and lead a team of Alpha-Males. Sad because with the right leadership, things could be better. Oh by the way, the managers and two reps, sell a lower priced window on the side essentially stealing RbA leads. Again, it's a sad situation and not going to get better any time soon.
Pros
canvassers are cute
Cons
mileage on personal car, no manager knows how to lead, low pay
Typical large company with all the negatives
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, PANovember 15, 2014
This is a typical position within a large corporation where nothing that the company does seems to makes any sense or is any good to the employee. For example, the company keeps hiring even though they are already over staffed. The managers do very little managing and fail to stand up for you. The company created a position and brought in a "training" manager. We all feel this is a waste of time and money. It's all smoke and mirrors. From comments made repeatedly by the other reps, everyone is looking for other employment. The turn over is yearly so do yourself a favor, look elsewhere. Now that I think of it, maybe that's why they need a training manager because of the turnover.

The feeling and reality is that if we were treated good, there wouldn't be turn over. They just keep taking away and even the medical now stinks. The way compensation is paid out is changing after the first of the year so now we'll be waiting a month for one half of the commission and months for the second. The bottom line is you work for free trying to sell $1500-2500 windows, then they make you wait for your money. You're spending your money, gas and vehicle expenses every day. Talk about corporate greed! Sales are few and far between for 8 months out of the year because we are at least twice the price of every other window on the market then fall comes and you're without a check for four months.

The most upsetting thing is how unappreciated we are.
Pros
a nice check every once in awhile
Cons
everything else
Decent work environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Bayport, MNOctober 29, 2014
I had work as a seasonal employee with this company. Seems like a decent work place to work at, there's plenty of assignments to work and lots of good people there. Lots of overtime opportunity and flexible schedule. Paid is decent.

Some major cons there is that walking from parking to facility takes a bit of time, same thing regarding going from one work station to the next. Newer workers will have trouble finding their way aroung the building. There are way too many workers but so few entrance/exit. Constant mandatory overtime on shift that you may or may not sign up for that you are required to work for some reason. Confusing shift rotation schedule, often had to cover for employees who are absent or on vacation. Low management support, getting a hold of your supervisor when you need them could be difficult at times since they often leave the facility most of the day. Parkings are limited (especially the closer ones), they are usually a first come first serve type of deal.
Pros
great people, fast pace and enjoyable work assignments, lots overtime opportunity, flexible work schedule also available, pay salary is good
Cons
long travels between stations, parkings are restricted, mandatory overtimes are a given, breaks are too short, difficult to get a hold of supervisor at times, shift rotation could be confusing and may change with or without your consent
A good family company that is starting to get top heavy.
SUPPLY CHAIN PROJECT LEAD (Current Employee) –  Bayport, MNOctober 13, 2014
Andersen does a great job with giving people opportunities for growth and career advancement. The company, however, has lost its way with a complicated Matrix structure and lack of dynamic leaders.
Pros
relevant work
Cons
untalented management
Stressfull work invironment with little if no appreciation from upper management for the production employees.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora,OhioSeptember 1, 2014
A couple interesting points.....
Most of the previous reviews are by "former" employees ...Why?
good or bad review this seems to be a company with a revolving door. SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

The "Custom Pultrusions" positions are posted as "Anderson Windows" positions...... in fact this is a "subsidiary of" Anderson corp.
This is to lure individuals to apply for a position that consists of a process that is very difficult to work in/with with continual improper training along with what could be considered questionable upper management.

The training is put on the senior operators (and sometimes poor operators) who are required to train and make good product with low scrap levels......operating the line itself is quite difficult without having to train someone. 75% or more of the people that are brought in to train don't want to work or are not able to learn the process.
This is just the beginning of many issues that cultivate a disgruntled work force (stating it politely)

That being said.....Supervision does not interview candidates (their opinion seemingly is not wanted or respected) , only upper management (with assistance of what could be considered a questionable HR entity) interviews candidates and generally very unsuccessfully.

Is this a good place to work? I doubt that you could get a positive answer from current workforce.

Could it be a good place to work? There is a small possibility if the proper individuals from the Corporate entity (not the "buddy" management team) became involved in a larger and more consistent manner.
Actually listening to individuals on the
  more... production floor and key individuals who seem to be what I would consider the best pultrusion minds in the business.

This facility is a "must have" for Anderson in order to produce a large percentage of its windows but the workforce is working in ungrateful conditions.
Pros
none come to mind
Cons
stressfull work environment for anyone who works on the production floor, impossible to (with good consience) take a break fearing failure on the production floor.
Productive and exciting place to work
management (Current Employee) –  Luray, VAJuly 28, 2014
Building, loading, and crafting windows and doors. The company is a great place to work for with the respect we receive from leadership.
Pros
dedicated employees
Cons
seasonality of business
Productive and great job experience
Shop Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 31, 2014
Building, loading, and crafting windows and doors. The company was a great place to work for with the great respect we received from management. My manager was very motivating and rewarded me for a job well done. My most memorable time was when we had a job lunch and I received an award.