ANDREAS STIHL AG & Co. KG Employee Reviews

good compensation package
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 21, 2016
Some work areas in manufacturing are not allowed lunch breaks, only two restroom breaks within the 8 hr shift. Majority vote by the employees. Skipping meal can increases the risk of type 2 diabetes. Our bodies need to be fed food regularly in order to maintain healthy levels, it puts a strain on our bodies that over time can lead to insulin resistance.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
8 hour workday-no lunch, two restroom breaks
Very demanding environment, which motivates and challenges
Metrology Technician (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 25, 2016
This is a very demanding work environment that holds it's employees to a very high standard, personally and professionally. There are opportunities to advance through educational and hands on clinics that give the motivated employees almost unlimited opportunity.

I have worked on the third shift for the last 7 years, and my department depends on all of it's technicians to be able to work independently and get their jobs done.

Perhaps the hardest part of this job is remaining focused when there are always multiple tasks at hand, in varied degrees of urgency. There are times when conflicting direction from management can further complicate a process.
Pros
Educational opportunities, extremely good retirement benefits, and health care options
Cons
Attendence is chargeable to a percentage, not much overtime availalbe, no uniform shirts
Very Friendly management and co workers very helpful also
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 17, 2016
when i first got there, i was new to everything. all of the employees that had been there for quite sometime helped me adjust and taught me how to use the systems and machines, and the process of how things were done in the warehouse. they would answer any questions that i had all through out my first couple of months. Very helpful and friendly staff! Great experience
usually worked 10-11 hours a day, get there at 7 a.m and began to make boxes for the morning orders, load them onto the cart using an RF reader, and then proceed to "pick" the products the order called for. Did this mostly all day, repeated the process. If there was any available time we would clean up the warehouse empty the trash and recycling, and assist any of the other employees that needed help - mostly shipping since there was only one employee doing the shipping and 3 - 4 of us picking items,
The hardest part of the job for me was standing for 10 to 11 hours a day.
Pros
Very Friendly and Helpful
Cons
Standing for 11 hours (especially if you're not used to it)
good company, poor employees
A/R Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hillsborough, NCApril 8, 2016
clicky co worker women run the office not the management. The work was good. Hardest part of job was co-workers had to much access to remove files, so you had to do work over and over because of petty women
Pros
pay and sometimes free lunch
Cons
IT department. unable to secure your files, to many people had access to delete and remove work
Some departments are good to working in
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 19, 2016
Assembly Line Department is a harsh environment to work in it is hot and dirty work. The management leaves a lot to be desired. Everything is rushed and high demand. There is a lot of favoritism that goes on with this companies walls.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
Low moral due to lack of leadership.
Night & day
Territory Manager, Northern Iowa (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 6, 2016
I began working for a privately owned distributorship which was very different than working for the company owned distributorship like I did at the end of my tenure.
great place to work
USA Machinist B (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 1, 2016
great company all around. Benefits are great and work and family life balance is good. very large company, so plenty of room for advancement if you work hard.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
short breaks
Outstanding company
Machining Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 21, 2015
Absolutely the best company I have ever worked for, from benefits to management...if you can get in the door, go there and never leave.
Nice place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  536 Viking Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23452June 8, 2015
STIHL is a decent place to work if you don't mind the repetitive work every day. Putting together parts day after day may not be for everyone but they do pay above minimum wage.
Pros
Pay was ok for the job
Cons
Same thing everyday, hard physical work sometimes
Excellent Company
Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VaJuly 15, 2014
Good people, good wage, and a clean environment.
Overtime on a voluntary basis. If I had not moved I'd still be there
Was a busy job
CNC Operator (Former Employee) –  Va BeachJune 9, 2014
Operated CNC equipment and performed quality checks. Learned about the machining processes, setting up equipment. Management was ok. Co-workers were great. Nothing hard about it.
Pros
co-workers
interesting comment I read is a LIE
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Virginia beach, Va.March 28, 2014
The comment about 2 weeks paid shutdown is an outright lie. I worked there and what they will do is force you to use any vacation time you may have at the time the plant is closed. You have no say in the matter. They do not just pay you. Obviously that review was written by someone who is most likely in management.
Pros
Great cafeteria
Cons
management superiority complex issues
It's a good job
Employment History Warehouse/Driver/Order (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 10, 2013
It'll do,They watch and wait for you mess up.not a lot of trust.
Pros
free beer
Cons
to many eyes on you
Developed Leadership Skills, Management of Labor workforce, glance of SAP while working with experts
Production Planning & Logistics Intern (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 7, 2013
Role & Responsibilities :-

SAP Experience
• Managed the flow of Work in Process
• Prevention of Material Line Outages
• Aided with Return to Vendor process
• Administered transfer orders for deliveries
• Inbound/Outbound shipping and receiving analysis
• Process Optimization on Material Flow, from Warehouse to
Assembly Lines
• Logistics in a Distribution Center
• Organizational Leadership
Best place to work
Planner (Former Employee) –  virginia beach, vaJuly 8, 2013
Sthil Inc. is an awesome environment and very employee friendly.
Pros
Great location and strong management
Great job
Head Packer ( Assembly ), Trainer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 26, 2013
I was a packer and also received many different training on other stations of production including forklift and leadership.
productive, very clean, fun workplace
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 6, 2013
Stihl is the cleanest warehouse I have ever seen. As a material handler you transport materials from the warehouse to assembly lines on a forklift or electronic pallet jack, sort and transport stacks of pallets from pallet rooms to the yard. Great work environment with good associates. It has a full cafeteria and dining area where they serve breakfast lunch and dinner. One of the best things is they have two paid shutdown weeks off in December (the week of Christmas) and July (the week of the fourth of July).
Pros
good pay and two paid weeks off plus vacation time earned
State of the art Manufacturing Plant. One of the best in the world!
Process Technician (Polymers) (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 7, 2012
Worked in Polymers Dept. Great Engineers and Technicians. Excellent training and Technical support system. Management is sometimes overbearing but what manufacturing plant is not. Very lean. Hard work but you can be the lowest man on the totem pole and have a great career here. 401,pension, vacation, bonuses all great. If you have attendence problems, you will not last. Don't lie about your qualifications or experience. They will call you on it and it will backfire on you.
Pros
great benefits, bonuses, job security
Cons
attendence policy, management
My experience
Polymers Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  VAMay 29, 2012
It was a love hate feeling toward STIHL. Amazing Schedule, good pay and benfits. But advancement was shall I say "Sketchly". Within two short months of working in the polymers department, I was offered a technican position. I began training and it ended before it started. A lot of complains came from human resoures office to the head of the department on my behalf. I was immediately was sent to my supervisor office. Apperently my fellow co-workers felt some sort of way towards my speedy advancement in the company. I was not complaints on my ability to operate the forklifts, or the crane, or following procedures to execute my assignment. But, complaints measly on "Why is he training" and "Why was I not offered the position." My training stopped immediately and I returned to my machine operator duties. Later that month I was laid-off for what reasons I was told "production issues". When I ask for specific details, I received no rebutle.
Pros
amazing work schedule
Cons
mangement has no back bone!