Angie's List

Angie's List Employer Reviews

Great Place
manager (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 26, 2014
Great up and coming company! The department I was in based your success off of your results.
It's a fun place to work, great people
Member Services Representative (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: pay, activities
Cons: hours
I enjoy my job in relation to my coworkers and my management. They host fun activities and the job requirement are easy enough to meet. For a call center job, this is the best one.
good work environment, no job security
ADVERTISING SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: fun environment, coworkers
Cons: pay plan changes frequently, management clueless/changes often
Laid back fun workplace. Success is dependent on territory assigned which can be based on who you know/how well your manager likes you. Rules can and will change at any time. The more comfortable you are bending the truth the better your chances are. Day consist of cold calling companies that don't really want to talk with you.
Warehouse
Advertising Sales (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 10, 2014
While I love Angie's List & think what the company as a whole is wonderful... Phone/cold calling are just not where my personal sales skills are best utilized. Real Estate is my true passion & what I have a proven track record at being GREAT at and why I want to pursue my career in the Real Estate industry.
Productive and Fun work place with great people
Skilled Videographer (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 2, 2014
I've been with Angie's List for 5 years and have learned a great deal of skills to go along with what I had already known. It's a great environment and a fun place to work.
Almost 100% commission based pay, territory determines success
Ad Sales (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 10, 2013
Pros: no dress code
Cons: no job security, success depends on territory you are assigned
Cold calling companies that have been called many times before. You are own your own to try to succeed. Turn over is understandably through the roof at all levels from reps to managers and even upper management. The territory you are given makes a huge difference and is determined by favoritism. If you like high pressure sales this could be for you. – more... Management is clueless, and is constantly changing the compensation plan as they are grasping at straws as to how to keep this sinking ship afloat. Competition from Yelp and Home Adviser among others is putting this company under. On the plus side the work culture is enjoyable. – less
Productive and fun workplace
Advertising Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 31, 2013
Pros: no dress code, lots of freedom
Cons: basically straight commission. terrible parking.
Good company that needs to catch up with its own growth. Good people but unfortunately lots of turnover.
Productive and busy environment with fun people
Member Services Representative (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 16, 2013
Working in a high call-volume center to navigate the system for members needing account information and business quotes.
Even a blind squirrel will find a nut
Analyst (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: relaxed atmosphere
Cons: no core strengths, no vision, unprofessional
Angie's List could be a great place to work. Could be, but isn't. Executive leadership is nearly non-existent. The CEO lacks the ability to provide a clear long term road map, other than "make money". The C-level simply follows whatever direction the wind blows for that day, week or month.

The company seems to insist upon making strategic decisions – more... to devalue and deconstruct the brand. The only way that they can make money is to charge service providers painfully high rates to advertise without providing them with any feedback on what the advertisement brought in for the service provider.

Yes you can drink at work and they have company sponsored events just to drink but it isn't worth it in the long run. The relaxed atmosphere is nice but it breads unprofessionalism. Your work environment will likely be in a dilapidated old building that had just enough work done on it for the fire marshal to not shut it down.

The growth strategy that they have sold out for cannot be sustained. There is a new "initiative" that comes from the top almost weekly. These are left half completed as the next big thing gets chased.

Overall, I would not and don't consider Angie's List a career destination. If you take a job there learn what you can as fast as you can, make as much money from them as you can and move on. – less
Compensation is good if you have good territories
Ad Sales (Former Employee), IndianapolisAugust 31, 2013
You get to wear shorts, t-shirts. I have seen how the ad sales works. If you don't have the prime territories, compensation isn't on an even level. Smaller markets get called often as these are used for the new sales people. They have been called month after month. It's understandable that it is structured this way but for people who have these accounts – more... for several months, the opportunity for consistent sales isn't there. This a performance based environment and there is always someone behind you to take your place. – less
Great potential
Advertising Sales Representative (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 18, 2013
If you're looking to get great sales experience then this is the place for you!
Friendly, community environment and interesting work
Quality Assurance Intern (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 17, 2013
Pros: community activities are encouraged
Cons: occasional poor communication from managers
I found my time at Angie's List to be very rewarding. During my time there, I worked on several projects that dealt with data cleanup. I learned a significant amount about customer service. While I was not responsible for direct customer interaction, I sat with quality assurance employees who were charged with the responsibility of aiding the service – more... representatives with the improvement of their customer phone calls. The opportunity to listen in on these coaching sessions while cleaning up data on the website has given me a roundabout look at customer service. My only critique of Angie's List is that sometimes managers are hard to reach. During my time at Angie's List it did not seem to be a priority for managers to e-mail or call their employees back in a timely manner. Overall, however, I was grateful for the opportunity to work in such a wonderful environment. – less
Good, but still work to do
Employee (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 21, 2013
AL excels in a few areas, health and wellness being their forte. No one does this better that I've ever heard of. Compensation is ok, but is behind the market for some roles, which is reflected in the quality of people they hire and retain for those roles. Performance reviews don't really differentiate high performers from average, and friendship with – more... your manager plays a huge role, so pay increases are made arbitrarily.

The culture is laid back and enjoyable and the casual dress code is a huge plus. The focus and emphasis on alcohol consumption can be a little over the top, giving the culture a fratty vibe sometimes. Some of the major employee events/parties have a slightly trashy feel with kegs and solo cups, but you could argue that's part of the culture. The values aren't really differentiators, but rather good rules of thumb to live by.

Advancement is not something proactively thought about. If you're aggressive and play to the right people, it might happen for you due to rapid growth. However, a majority of managers are put into leadership roles far before they are prepared to successfully lead others, resulting in teams that don't particularly want to follow their leader. Giving managers the tools & resources to be successful could make an impact if it was embraced at the top. Higher level leaders do not hold managers accountable to be good leaders, contributing to this issue. A stronger talent pool and leadership presence in the Director/VP level would be helpful in the management/leadership category.

There's a lack of process that permeates all corners of the company. I get the impression an unorganized approach to work was sufficient for the company when they had far fewer staff, but it hasn't translated successfully in all departments to the rapid headcount growth.

Overall, AL provides a great and enjoyable environment for a job. If you're looking for more, you need to be close to the top layer of leadership or have some tenure to see AL as a career opportunity. – less
Advertising sales
Advertising Sales Representative (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 10, 2013
Good work experience for sales. 9-5 M-F hours. Positive management participation. Friendly/supportive co-workers.
Fun place to work but regular turnover
Advertising Account Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 26, 2013
A normal day involves 30-40 phone calls, returning many emails and dealing with contracts or online profile management. I learned a lot about negotiating and working with small business owners. Even if they pay for your product they will often be too busy to discuss it with you. Management is promoted from within and there is no training program for – more... it. After about 4-6 months of working for a new boss the stress level reduces then things are alright. Co-workers are a lot of fun and love to chat. The hardest part of the job is predicting what will happen from month to month and staying organized. – less
Great idea in theory
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: fun laid back atmosphere
Cons: poor management style
The idea of Angie's List is great in theory. They are experiencing severe growing pains and need to develop a more stable culture as well as better training for the management team.
Political ** (If you dont know the right people - you may not suceed)
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee), IndianapolisFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: nice people
Cons: political
I was a top performing sales rep wherever I worked. I worked hard. Did my market research. I am very professional. When some people have twice as many leads (opportunities) than you. You are compensated on commission. Is that good? I like an environment wher you control your own destiny. I was micromanaged and told it was fair. I knew from doing my – more... own due dilligence. There were certain markets that outperformed others. If you had that market where we spends millions of dollars to get business. Of course you are going to get business. If you dont have any of those markets you are not going to perform as well. You are told its all equal. Research shows it. Some people are doing real well. Just cross your fingers you are put in a good situation!! If you are not. Do not take it personal. I was told I was not skilled. I am currently in Sales Management. I helped grow a small business from several hundred Thousand Dollar a year in Sales to a half million Dollars in Sales.We are a small 8 man operation. I will repeat if you do not get a good situation, and do not perform. I have made six figures several times in my career. I was told I was less than average. I watched lots of others have two times the opportunites that I had. I was able to bounce back like a basketball, and help a local business double in size since that time. The owner is meeting with potential investors to franchise the business in other markets. Good luck!!! – less
Fun working enviroment
Member Sales Representative (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 14, 2013
I worked in the call center. Sold memberships and educated individuals on benefits of being an Angie's List member
Not an overall great experience.
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 24, 2012
The work itself and my immediate co-works were wonderful, but it's hard to work for a company that changes the rules without notice.
Great Place to Work
Advertising Salesman (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: can wear whatever you want
Cons: stressfull
I really like working here. I learned through trial and error how to do telesales. Co-workers are young and fun. Hardest part of the job is that you have zero job security. I really liked that I could control my potential earning.

About Angie's List

Angie's List is growing exponentially and we continue to be on the cutting-edge technology wise! Learn about our unique company – Read more