Angie's List

Angie's List Employer Reviews

Telemarketing
Advertising (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 9, 2014
Pros: 1st shift
Cons: very stressful very hard to reach monthly goal
Its a great job if you are desperate. Dont let this place be your first choice, I made the mistake of quitting a job to work for Angies List and regret it! You will only get a head if you are good friends with management. You have to call businesses so much that you actually start to annoy yourself. Its very hard to meet the goal you HAVE to reach. People cheat to get a head its just a overall bad experience. I currently work there and have actually came close to just walking out everyday! Take my word on this, you will wish you would have took another job offer!
Very fun with basketball goals and fun activities.
MAC/PC Support and Administration intern (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 9, 2014
Pros: working with very knowledgeable people.
Cons: not hiring for full time.
Angie's List was a very fun place to work. I learned a lot about Macs working under the Macintosh Administrator. While I was there I felt management was always shifting and never steady. The most enjoyable part of work was the relaxed dress code.
Great Company
Advertising Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Indianapolis INApril 5, 2014
Called service providers to sell advertising - publication, web, call center
I learned about selling advertising
Great Culture
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 28, 2014
Very flexible. It is fun at times! Very laid back and easy. I work 9-4 everyday and have weekends off. I cold call daily 35+ and send 100 emails.
Worst Job ever
Advertising Sales Consultant (Current Employee), IndianapolisMarch 27, 2014
Pros: jeans everyday
Cons: everything else
This company has no morals! You are threaten from the time you start until you get fed up and quit..
They ask you to lie, and do things I refuse to do.
Business Analyst
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 19, 2014
Core competencies include:

o Tactical, operational, and strategic planning
o Cross-functional project management and recommendation
o Business and systems analysis
o Database management and high-level reporting
o Organizational change management
o Human Resources and payroll
Decent place to work AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT IN SALES.
Ad Sales (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 12, 2014
Pros: fun people, good environment
Cons: lack of consistency, poor management, high pressure sales tactics
Angie's List has a great culture and offers lots of fun events and extracurriculars. However, your overall experience with AL changes drastically on what dept you are in. Ad sales/account management/member sales/big deal/ecommerce sales, etc. are all sales gigs and pretty much the dumpster of the company. There is absolutely no consistency - territory, managers, sales teams, even the office you work in can change DAILY. They try to address this by saying it is due to growth and you just need to be flexible. However, after a month or two you realize it is simply because the company, from the top down, does not have a clue what to do. When I left sales numbers were way down and management was struggling over how to fix it. The problem was over hiring and pressure to fit every sale in a 1 month cycle. However, the only solution mgmt could come up with was to micromanage and yell at everyone.

The sales depts have close to 75% turnover right after 9 months - it's close to a 50/50 split on whether people are fired or choose to leave. In ad sales you are given a territory - this territory will define your success with the company. Your manager has 100% control over what territory you are assigned. Typically it works out that the most senior salespeople get the best territory so they continue to succeed while new hires struggle with bone dry accounts. When I interviewed I specifically asked if we are given new leads or if they have been called beforeā€¦I was told that due to Angies List massive growth there are plenty of new leads to go around everyday. This was a baldfaced lie. Out of every 500 accounts you may have 1 or 2 that haven't been called before.

Anyways, it's a sales job. Good luck if you give it a shot.
Starts out great, but does not last.
Account Manager (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: pay potential, dress code
Cons: job security, management, working conditions, stress
People work hard, get comfortable, and get let go. High turnover rate and ran by fear from the top - down.
Great Place
manager (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 26, 2014
Great up and coming company! The department I was in based your success off of your results.
It's a fun place to work, great people
Member Services Representative (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: pay, activities
Cons: hours
I enjoy my job in relation to my coworkers and my management. They host fun activities and the job requirement are easy enough to meet. For a call center job, this is the best one.
good work environment, no job security
ADVERTISING SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: fun environment, coworkers
Cons: pay plan changes frequently, management clueless/changes often
Laid back fun workplace. Success is dependent on territory assigned which can be based on who you know/how well your manager likes you. Rules can and will change at any time. The more comfortable you are bending the truth the better your chances are. Day consist of cold calling companies that don't really want to talk with you.
Warehouse
Advertising Sales (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 10, 2014
While I love Angie's List & think what the company as a whole is wonderful... Phone/cold calling are just not where my personal sales skills are best utilized. Real Estate is my true passion & what I have a proven track record at being GREAT at and why I want to pursue my career in the Real Estate industry.
Productive and Fun work place with great people
Skilled Videographer (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 2, 2014
I've been with Angie's List for 5 years and have learned a great deal of skills to go along with what I had already known. It's a great environment and a fun place to work.
Almost 100% commission based pay, territory determines success
Ad Sales (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 10, 2013
Pros: no dress code
Cons: no job security, success depends on territory you are assigned
Cold calling companies that have been called many times before. You are own your own to try to succeed. Turn over is understandably through the roof at all levels from reps to managers and even upper management. The territory you are given makes a huge difference and is determined by favoritism. If you like high pressure sales this could be for you. Management is clueless, and is constantly changing the compensation plan as they are grasping at straws as to how to keep this sinking ship afloat. Competition from Yelp and Home Adviser among others is putting this company under. On the plus side the work culture is enjoyable.
Productive and fun workplace
Advertising Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 31, 2013
Pros: no dress code, lots of freedom
Cons: basically straight commission. terrible parking.
Good company that needs to catch up with its own growth. Good people but unfortunately lots of turnover.
Productive and busy environment with fun people
Member Services Representative (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 16, 2013
Working in a high call-volume center to navigate the system for members needing account information and business quotes.
Even a blind squirrel will find a nut
Analyst (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: relaxed atmosphere
Cons: no core strengths, no vision, unprofessional
Angie's List could be a great place to work. Could be, but isn't. Executive leadership is nearly non-existent. The CEO lacks the ability to provide a clear long term road map, other than "make money". The C-level simply follows whatever direction the wind blows for that day, week or month.

The company seems to insist upon making strategic decisions to devalue and deconstruct the brand. The only way that they can make money is to charge service providers painfully high rates to advertise without providing them with any feedback on what the advertisement brought in for the service provider.

Yes you can drink at work and they have company sponsored events just to drink but it isn't worth it in the long run. The relaxed atmosphere is nice but it breads unprofessionalism. Your work environment will likely be in a dilapidated old building that had just enough work done on it for the fire marshal to not shut it down.

The growth strategy that they have sold out for cannot be sustained. There is a new "initiative" that comes from the top almost weekly. These are left half completed as the next big thing gets chased.

Overall, I would not and don't consider Angie's List a career destination. If you take a job there learn what you can as fast as you can, make as much money from them as you can and move on.
Compensation is good if you have good territories
Ad Sales (Former Employee), IndianapolisAugust 31, 2013
You get to wear shorts, t-shirts. I have seen how the ad sales works. If you don't have the prime territories, compensation isn't on an even level. Smaller markets get called often as these are used for the new sales people. They have been called month after month. It's understandable that it is structured this way but for people who have these accounts for several months, the opportunity for consistent sales isn't there. This a performance based environment and there is always someone behind you to take your place.
Great potential
Advertising Sales Representative (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 18, 2013
If you're looking to get great sales experience then this is the place for you!
Friendly, community environment and interesting work
Quality Assurance Intern (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 17, 2013
Pros: community activities are encouraged
Cons: occasional poor communication from managers
I found my time at Angie's List to be very rewarding. During my time there, I worked on several projects that dealt with data cleanup. I learned a significant amount about customer service. While I was not responsible for direct customer interaction, I sat with quality assurance employees who were charged with the responsibility of aiding the service representatives with the improvement of their customer phone calls. The opportunity to listen in on these coaching sessions while cleaning up data on the website has given me a roundabout look at customer service. My only critique of Angie's List is that sometimes managers are hard to reach. During my time at Angie's List it did not seem to be a priority for managers to e-mail or call their employees back in a timely manner. Overall, however, I was grateful for the opportunity to work in such a wonderful environment.

About Angie's List

Angie's List is growing exponentially and we continue to be on the cutting-edge technology wise! Learn about our unique company – Read more

Angie's List Salaries