Angie's List Employee Reviews in United States

Great Place, Fun People
Advertising Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 2, 2016
I enjoyed the atmosphere at Angie's List. My co-workers were kind and considerate, but got down to business. We worked hard, but had fun. Each day was different and fast paced - kept me on my toes! But, I loved it and was sad to leave when I moved out-of-state.
A great place to work, with great people
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 25, 2016
Angie's List has a great corporate culture and great employees that make it a pleasurable work environment. It is very enjoyable assisting members and providing them with positive outcomes.
Almost 100% commission based pay, territory determines success
Ad Sales (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 10, 2013
Cold calling companies that have been called many times before. You are own your own to try to succeed. Turn over is understandably through the roof at all levels from reps to managers and even upper management. The territory you are given makes a huge difference and is determined by favoritism. If you like high pressure sales this could be for you. Management is clueless, and is constantly changing the compensation plan as they are grasping at straws as to how to keep this sinking ship afloat. Competition from Yelp and Home Adviser among others is putting this company under. On the plus side the work culture is enjoyable.
Pros
no dress code
Cons
no job security, success depends on territory you are assigned
Fun place with good pay
Senior Solutions Consultant - Closer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 21, 2015
Angie's List is a great workplace. Very challenging place to work since it is sales mostly. Good pay, good hours. Great sales environment although challenging I succeeded.
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad management
QA Engineer - Backend / Frontend Tester (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 1, 2016
Angie's List is a great place to work. Love the work environment, people are very friendly and helpful. Learned a lot of new tools.
Section Manager
Advertising Sales Section Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis INApril 8, 2015
What I became an expert in (learned), and the most enjoyable part of the job is getting my managers in the right mindset, so that I could draw out their best.. This is transferrable skill and I worked diligently on this, so that my managers got the most out of their people.. I do not like the word Management, I prefer Leadership. Part of my role was to manage metrics, attendance, performance. However, if you are leading effectively this minimizes the need for managing. I prefer to lead people and manage a process.

If you lead most people work to exceed your expectations. Others you have to change their mindset, find a better role within the organization or help them find a new career outside the organization.

A typical day was planned the day before. The plan was for about 2 hours of specific training, meetings. The rest of the day was dedicated to on the spot training and development based on observations.
Pros
Too numerous list
Cons
N/A
Used to be great
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 18, 2016
I worked here for over two years.

The call center can be very tough and demoralizing. Half of the managers were awful, but the other half were awesome. They keep squeezing more and more out of the employees. The pay is decent.

The other department I worked in was fun and I loved my work. However, at least a quarter of the department left (either due to job dissatisfaction or better pay elsewhere) over the course of 2 or 3 months. Almost no one was replaced. That was disturbing, and also made it really hard for the rest of the department. A lot of the roles don't pay industry-standard salaries, either. But then you'd have directors making a hefty salary.

They have eliminated positions and re-structured quite a bit lately. They often do it in a way to avoid paying severance or unemployment. Several departments and teams have found out their job is being changed and they can either take it or resign. They've had maybe one day, even less, to think it over.

As a company, it used to be great, and there's still good things. Low premiums on insurance (although high deductibles), HSA & 401k contributions, free gym, fitness classes, financial literacy workshops, parenting classes, smoking cessation and weight loss groups, and so on. A few fun events during the year. Some of the departments are laid-back, and most employees are really friendly and fun. However, I do not approve of current leadership and the direction the company is going. Or floundering towards. They're either going to fall apart, get sold off, or really amaze everyone and become a success story again. I'm
  more... betting on the 2nd.  less
great place for a sales job overall
Advertising Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 15, 2015
Great place to work if you already know how to sell. Compensation is competitive with nearly any other sales job in the area. The environment is relaxed and most people are great co-workers.
Pros
relaxed environment, competitive commission
Cons
constant change
Fun workplace
Email Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 28, 2015
Each day varied depending on what project I was working on. I would work on 1 project then send if for review then move onto the next project while the 1st project was being reviewed. When the 1st project came back from review, I would finished working on that project then continued to work on the next few projects. Some days I would work on 4-5 projects at a time. It just depended on what was needed for that day. The turn around for projects were pretty fast. I may have a day or 2 to complete an entire project. Some co-workers worked well together, but for the most part, it's every-man for themselves.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
Lack of guidance from upper management made it difficult to understand what was needed for a project, understaffed
Eh....
Member Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 15, 2014
A typical work day was very redundant. Typical call center work. Make sure that you logged in on your computer on time. The attendance policy is ridiculously strict. Make sure that you are at work every day (even if you are sick, they don't care) and make sure that you are not late. Management is absolutely ridiculous. They are all in their younger 20's and have never had a management job before. They have absolutely no idea what they are doing. My coworkers are great, I love everyone I have met so far.

Overall this company is ridiculously stressful to work for if you are in member care. I was in retention and it was absolutely ridiculous. On the phone with angry members all day, the compensation bonuses at the end of the month are terrible compared to the services and sales. No additional compensation for the amount of stress we deal with with compared to the other aspects to the call center. Overall not a great experience.
Pros
1 hour lunches, can wear whatever you want, co-workers
Cons
management, attendance policy, pay, company direction

Want to know more about Angie's List?

Ask a question
Exciting
Wellness Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 3, 2015
laid back culture with a comfortable atmosphere, very casual, open door policy and a lot of exciting events. Very open to communication with every level of executives
who you know not how you perform
leader (Former Employee) –  U.S.A.November 6, 2015
If you know the right people you will have job stability and make money. If not it's up in the air to highly expendable. Make sure you find out who the key people are and do whatever it takes to fit in with them.
Pros
good entry level job
Cons
too many to list
a fun public image masks a stressful culture
Member Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 29, 2014
I heard so many awesome things about Angie's List. How it was laid back, you could drink beer at your desk (within reason of course) and how it was just a fun place to work at. I should have taken into account that with this apparently awesome reputation as a place to work, it never did appear on the Best Places to Work For list. I accepted a job in member sales where I did get a little bit of training before hand. Once I started working there I noticed that yes, there are some fun events for the employees including the soapbox derby in May, this was a stressful place to work. All of your numbers are being monitored. How many calls do you take? How many e-mails to you reply to? Are you following our script exactly how we want you to regardless of your own sales approach? The turnover in member sales was atrocious. There were people cleaning their desks all around me from day 1. Everyone there was stressed. I finally fell victim to the culture there as well. If you get into a non-sales position there, then you might be ok. If you work in sales, you better be absolutely phenomenal. Otherwise, keep your eye out for your next job if you have a bad month.
Pros
decent pay and benefits, fun events for employees
Cons
the actual working culture.
Advertising Account Manager - Good people to work with but HIGH stress
Advertising Account Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisJanuary 29, 2015
I enjoyed the people that I worked with but the job was very stressful. If you had a good manager who focused on sharing the tools that will help you be successful in the job then that helped. Not everyone has this.

Job security is horrible. It isn't a matter of who is in the warning cycle of losing their job, it is at what stage are they in the cycle. Even the most successful account managers will tell you they do not feel secure in their jobs. Because of this, I found it difficult to maintain a good work/live balance.

I did learn a lot from this role and I appreciate that. However, I am glad to have new opportunities with a different company going forward.
Pros
people, dress code
Cons
high stress
Data Verification Specialist
Data Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 23, 2015
Pay could be better

but this place was awesome

I wasn't the best employee but kudos to management
and everyone I worked with

great atomsphere
Pros
Events, co-workers
Cons
pay
Starts out great, but does not last.
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 11, 2014
People work hard, get comfortable, and get let go. High turnover rate and ran by fear from the top - down.
Pros
pay potential, dress code
Cons
job security, management, working conditions, stress
No Job Security
Member Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 6, 2014
Poor management. No job security. Decent benefits. Management is the worst part of the job
Pros
paid days off
Cons
poor management. no job security. high turnover
They don't train well enough
Ad sales (Former Employee) –  landmarkJuly 1, 2015
It they had proper training it would have made it more enjoyable! The management as far as men, were very sexist! Dog eat dog and the most enjoyable part of the job was when I left!
Pros
Cons
everything
Great non profit
Health Advertising Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 14, 2015
It's a great job if you're fresh out of college. It's doing work for a good cause and you'll love working with the children. Low pay, but it's non-profit.
horrible place to work
Advertising Account Manger (Former Employee) –  INApril 22, 2015
Angie's List is sinking ship and they don't care about any of they're employee. They spend money (which they don't have) money borrowed from the state on ridiculous. The CEO is even resigning if that tells you anything.

Then to hide behind the RFRA law as a reason they're "putting the project on hold" thats a LIE!
Pros
na
Cons
angie's list firing 3-8 associates monthly.

2.4