Animal Humane Society Employee Reviews

Great Mission, questionable leadership
Adoption Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNJune 25, 2017
People come to work for AHS because of the animals, but tend to end up staying due to their coworkers. The work is meaningful and fulfilling, if emotionally (and financially) challenging. Direct supervisors and Managers tend to be great, as does the Senior Leadership Team, but Ops Directors have created a workplace where you feel afraid to ask questions in case you'll get fired, where there's not a lot of opportunity for growth, and where directors hold grudges.
Pros
Animals!
Cons
toxic leadership
it is a fun work place
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TXMay 8, 2017
i really love animals and i really want to work with them and there fun to play with and the puppies are really cute and i love cats dogs and horses that all
Pros
free lunches
Cons
shorts breaks
Fun and rewarding place to work
Animal House Technician (Current Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNApril 26, 2017
Everyone is so fun to work with and the work that we do is so rewarding! It is always a good feeling to know that I work at a place that makes a difference in the community in so many different ways!
Rewarding, but very exhausting work
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNApril 12, 2017
The very best thing about working for AHS is knowing that the work you do makes a difference in the lives of animals every day! The coworkers I had were fantastic - very supportive and willing to help others learn. The pay is really good for a non-profit organization, and the benefits are outstanding. However, it's pretty much impossible to finish all the tasks you need to get done in one 8-hour shift. Employees are consistently encouraged to "reach out" when they need help, but there's really no one to reach out to because everyone is swamped with their own tasks, so hearing "reach out" day in and day out was essentially meaningless. Management was also inconsistent -- I had three different managers in the span of a year, and expectations differed from manager to manager, so it was difficult to get a real handle for what was acceptable and what wasn't.

Additionally, during the employee retreats there are anonymous questions asked of senior leadership and some of them are pretty inappropriate. I felt awkward and uncomfortable being surrounded by that tension.
Pros
Great benefits, being able to be a part of a team that genuinely cares about animals and their welfare, kind coworkers and volunteers.
Cons
Inconsistent leadership and uncommunicated expectations, workload is beyond excessive, good people who worked hard were terminated for ridiculous reasons without any prior warning.
great place to work
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNMarch 30, 2017
i enjoyed everyday i worked there. it was a great place with a great work environment. everyone got along great. the only downfall was the commute. i drove 100 miles one way.
Great place to help animals but suffers from cult like environment instilled by management
Animal Technician (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 16, 2017
Great place to get some animal handling experience but a dead end job more often than not. The facility is very clique based and hard to be accepted into.
Pros
Great coworkers, lots of amazing volunteers, animals appreciate the work
Cons
Terrible pay, ungrateful "leadership", everything is "for the organization"
Great place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hall County, GAFebruary 20, 2017
I really enjoy volunteering at the Humane Society whenever possible because I strive to help animals and place them in homes
Love working with animals
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCFebruary 7, 2017
I was taking care of all the animals. I was walking the dogs. Washing the dog and cat dish. Cleaning the cat cage. Cleaning the dog the pens. Sweep the front of the office.
Rewarding volunteer work.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIDecember 12, 2016
I learned how to be patient and caring for animals that need it by spending time with them and giving them the attention they need. The staff was so caring and hard working in trying to make sure the animals find a nice home.
great work place
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Seneca, SCAugust 18, 2016
The job was fun and i met some great people. I helped find loving homes for amazing animals. Made some great friends. (animal friends). I love washing the dogs, showing the dogs attention, and cleaning the cat room.
Pros
great people
Cons
bring your own lunch
A challenging, fun job with difficult management.
Animal Care Lead (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 16, 2016
The humane society is the best place for homeless animals. The staff is incredibly dedicated to giving the best possible care to each and every animal. However, the management cares very little for the staff, although they loudly profess otherwise. Benefits are great but the pay is entirely too small for the amount of work expected. This is a non-profit position: minimal pay for too much work but you keep doing it because it is so important.
Pros
Great benefits, Pto, great coworkers
Cons
Terrible Management, Not enough pay
Fun worklace
Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNSeptember 23, 2015
It's a great place to work... who wouldn't love to come to work and be greeted by all kinds of animals that just want to be loved.
Pros
Animals
Cons
No cons
Busy days
Vet Teh (Current Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNJune 15, 2015
Fast-paced shelter, occasionally properly staffed, but often understaffed for volume of animals that come through the shelter.
Awesome workers
veterinary technician (Former Employee) –  golden valleyMay 13, 2015
Awesome people doing the difficult day to day tasks especially the volunteers who work tirelessly to help the animals without any pay but love of the animals. The animal care, vet services and customer services people are very dedicated. Unfortunately, the pay is no where near competitive private practice that they should receive for their tireless work
awsome place to work
i help where im needed (Current Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNApril 3, 2015
at the Animal Humane Society my day being with wlking dog along a bike path near the Humane Society grounds i usually walk up to 5-8 dogs in the moring. then i go to the front desk to cover the receptionist's luch brake while i am there i direct phone calls to the proper department and anwers the questions i can. then i go to the education depratment and make confirmation calls for upcoming tuors, girl scout baged promgrams, or birthday parties. then go to the animal care department and clean cages, take animals to receive vaccinations or other meicine they may need. i also help transport aniamls to the apotion floor. i have been working at the Humane Society for 3 years going on my 4th. the work environment there is very wonderful i get along very well with my co-workers and help out when and where i can. the part i enjoy the most is working with and help animals
Overall good place to work
Animal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 5, 2014
The best part of this job is the interaction with animals, and commitment to find a home for them.
Pros
good place to work.
Cons
disagreed with termination process of animal.
Great place to be
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 15, 2014
I am a volunteer at AHS and I really enjoy going. THe shifts are only 3 hours and are always really fun being able to spend time with the animals
Busy, Fun, Learning Experience, Saving Lives
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNOctober 23, 2013
Very busy days, which I really enjoy. New challenges always come my way in this field which is something I really enjoy. I love being able to learn something new every day. The best part of my job is knowing I saved a life each and every day.
Great shelter experience
Behavior and Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNSeptember 20, 2013
Great experience, limited chance to advance in this position.
Executive Assistant to the President/CEO
Executive Assistant to President/CEO (Current Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNAugust 25, 2013
Eight years of experience as an Executive Assistant have honed my ability to take an intuitive and proactive approach to high level support. As the Executive Assistant to the CEO at the Animal Humane Society, my role is imperative to improving efficiencies. Always looking ahead, I fully utilize my advanced Microsoft Office skills and our weekly one-on-ones to prepare the CEO for meetings, business travel and her work on a local, state and national level. Managing relationships is also a key component in my position. As the 1st point of contact to the office of the CEO, my role must always be one of a positive ambassador to the Board of Directors, government officials and the general public when disseminating communications.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Animal Humane Society. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3