Animal Shelter Employee Reviews

Very fun work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CAJune 1, 2016
I would get my aperen on and head towards the dogs section and get them fed and cleaned and take them outside. I learned to be very careful around scared dogs. my co-workers were so much fun. The hardest part was trying to get people to buy the animals and give them homes. The most enjoyable part was playing with the animals.
Pros
Free time with animals
Cons
Finding them homes
Great place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Garden City, KSMay 13, 2016
Great place to volunteer, people and animal friendly. people love going there and the work ethic is great. Sadly it closes early and there are a lot of animals that run about at later hours.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
closes early
Enjoyable and Entertaining
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Whiteland, INMay 6, 2016
I enjoyed working with Animals and trying to find them a good home with good owners. Its such a warm feeling when you see animals about to get a home but it's also heartbreaking because you see animals that have been abused but my co- workers were fantastic and i learned to always treat anyone or anything with respect.
Great place to work as a volunteer if you're looking for job experience.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  CubaApril 2, 2016
A typical day at work was cleaning the pets, feeding them, setting up their houses, and attending costumers.
I've learned that you can only bath a dog once a month, also you need to brush your dog before bath. Also great management, polished place as well. Great team, the hardest part was finding a place for them, and thee enjoyable one was when u arrive they used to give u a great welcome.
love this place
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJanuary 27, 2016
this is a fun place to work if you like animals an like taking care of them and the people are nice and know about what they are doing
Its a great for volunteers to come and take of dogs
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Orlando,FlAugust 25, 2015
The animal shelter was a great volunter working experience for me. You get to see all different breeds of dogs and mixed breed dogs. A typical day there would be: cleaning dog cages, cleaning cat cages mopping floors, sweeping floors, put food in cages, take dog out for air so mainly it was physical work most of times. But you learn about different dogs and how they react to different things and its just a great working experince.
Pros
Your helping an animal find a home
Cons
The get really bad
Working was really productive
Provide assisting (Former Employee) –  CoachellaJuly 30, 2015
A typical day at work was hearing the dogs bark all day, i had to shower, feed , and play with the dogs. Whenever people wanted to buy dogs, i would make quick descriptions about the dogs and which ones i would recommend for them. The hardest part of my job was showering some of the dogs because they did not like showering at all. The most enjoyable part of my job was playing with the dogs, they were so active and playful.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Payments were short
Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJune 19, 2015
Everybody was extremely nice and welcoming. I learned almost everything the typical nurses had to know. The nurses had a great attitude and were always friendly. The hardest part of the job was making sure the animals' cages were spotless. I enjoyed every aspect of the job. Working with animals was certainly enjoyable.
I had mixed emotions working here.
Help (Former Employee) –  Needville, TXJune 15, 2015
A typical morning would be going in and cleaning each dog kennel and walking them. The hardest part of the job was seeing how many dogs were without homes. The most enjoyable part was playing with them.
Pros
I got to play with and care for the dogs.
Cons
It was sad to see them on concrete floors and wire gate kennels.
Productive and fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  PRJune 12, 2015
Had a beautiful experience working with all kind of animals. I made a lot of friends as a volunteer, and had fun taking care of the youngest animals such kitties and puppies
a great working enviorment
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Warren, RIJune 12, 2015
the most difficult part of the job was working with the more aggressive animals and trying to socialize them without hurting due to them trying to twist around to bite or scratch us.
the most enjoyable part was seeing those same animals become sweetly dispositioned and finding a loving family.
Pros
good sized facility, air conditioned
Cons
to many dogs in one cage at times
Loved Volunteering
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAJune 5, 2015
I really enjoyed being a part of the Humane Society because I made a difference in the animals' lives. I was able to help nurse animals who had been abused, back to health. It was a very rewarding experience. I had a major sense of accomplishment for every animal that was adopted to a forever home.
Pros
helping animals
Make your own hours
Owner (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 16, 2015
Although you won't get paid being a volunteer, the rewards are immeasurable. I learned that life is rough, and there are days that you just don't want to do anything, but you have to keep on going because there are lives that depend on you and work that needs to be done. It is nice to come home to a house full of love, and that makes it all worthwhile.
Pros
Volunteer, exciting opportunities, cat cuddles
Cons
Long hours, neverending cleaning, no pay
Helping out was fun
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAFebruary 27, 2015
I loved volunteering at the animal shelter. It was fun and interesting to get more experience.
A typical day is 6 hrs long.
My coworkers were very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly.
The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye.
I enjoyed taking on the responsibility to care for animals.
Pros
loving all animals
Cons
the smell of the kennels
Great place to volunteer at, although they do not give the volunteers the same amount of things that they can do
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAFebruary 2, 2015
I absolutely loved spending my time at this animal shelter, it was local and everybody there was so very helpful with getting me all of the information I needed to talk to customers with confidence, along with making sure that each individual animal was properly cared for. A typical day here involves me spending my time literally everywhere I was needed. I typically would not ask where they needed me. I figured it out for myself, which was a great feeling. Whether it be helping with maintaining the cleanliness of every cat and dog kennel in existence, even the ones in the vet tech section. Or grooming/bathing dogs that were in dire need of it so that they would be able to be adopted, walking dogs that needed to become more sociable and less timid, petting all animals while at the same time cleaning my hands before they came into contact with another animal, keeping vet tech tools clean and organized, bringing specific animals to the vet techs to do what ever they needed to, helping customers by answering their individual questions with the information I was told and taught, showing them potential pets, walking them through our lost pet section to see about finding their lost pet and if this didn't give the end result of reuniting them with their beloved pet, I gave them a list of all of the other animal shelters in the area, along with the phone numbers and wished them luck. This is not even the full version of what I did for this shelter. But I would be more than willing to answer any questions.
Pros
great people to work for and with, which made me not really mind not being paid.
Cons
needed money, therefore i left for texas for better opportunities
Never a dull moment, very rewarding
Shelter Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 17, 2015
My position allowed me to combine my love of animals and customer service. I cleaned kennels, medicated sick animals, and worked with potential adopters. I enjoyed working with the management team and my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was euthanizing sick or aggressive animals. The most enjoyable was finding the perfect forever homes for my babies.
Pros
working with the animals
Cons
euthanasia
I had fun working in the animal shelter
Non Farm Animal Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Mullins, SCNovember 28, 2014
I love working with animals and people. I feed and cleaned animals gave meds. I want to one day get my own animal shelter
Pros
free lunches
Up and about
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORSeptember 7, 2014
At this place, I was always on the go. I loved to take care of all of the animals and it took a lot of work. I didn't mind at all, of course. I had a lot of fun and gained experience in the field that I hope to pursue. I also gained skills of becoming part of a team.
Pros
i got to take care of animals and gain experience.
Cons
it was only a volunteer job and i had to leave it because i was not getting paid.
rewarding job
Laborer/Helper (Former Employee) –  Twentynine Palms, CAJune 19, 2014
I love animals and wish this job lasted for me!! I felt great that i helped all these animals everyday!!
Pros
rewarding
Cons
same thing everyday, but enjoyable!!
Productive and enjoyable
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 22, 2014
I loved volunteering at the animal shelter because i always had a passion for animals. I chose to do this so get an idea of a workplace. a busy place, and how to manage things.

4.3