Animal Shelter

Animal Shelter United States Employee Reviews

Great place to volunteer at, although they do not give the volunteers the same amount of things that they can do
Volunteer (Former Employee), Riverside, CAFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: great people to work for and with, which made me not really mind not being paid.
Cons: needed money, therefore i left for texas for better opportunities
I absolutely loved spending my time at this animal shelter, it was local and everybody there was so very helpful with getting me all of the information I needed to talk to customers with confidence, along with making sure that each individual animal was properly cared for. A typical day here involves me spending my time literally everywhere I was needed. I typically would not ask where they needed me. I figured it out for myself, which was a great feeling. Whether it be helping with maintaining the cleanliness of every cat and dog kennel in existence, even the ones in the vet tech section. Or grooming/bathing dogs that were in dire need of it so that they would be able to be adopted, walking dogs that needed to become more sociable and less timid, petting all animals while at the same time cleaning my hands before they came into contact with another animal, keeping vet tech tools clean and organized, bringing specific animals to the vet techs to do what ever they needed to, helping customers by answering their individual questions with the information I was told and taught, showing them potential pets, walking them through our lost pet section to see about finding their lost pet and if this didn't give the end result of reuniting them with their beloved pet, I gave them a list of all of the other animal shelters in the area, along with the phone numbers and wished them luck. This is not even the full version of what I did for this shelter. But I would be more than willing to answer any questions.
Never a dull moment, very rewarding
Shelter Assistant (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: working with the animals
Cons: euthanasia
My position allowed me to combine my love of animals and customer service. I cleaned kennels, medicated sick animals, and worked with potential adopters. I enjoyed working with the management team and my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was euthanizing sick or aggressive animals. The most enjoyable was finding the perfect forever homes for my babies.
I had fun working in the animal shelter
Non Farm Animal Caregiver (Former Employee), Mullins, SCNovember 28, 2014
Pros: free lunches
I love working with animals and people. I feed and cleaned animals gave meds. I want to one day get my own animal shelter
Up and about
Volunteer (Former Employee), Klamath Falls, ORSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: i got to take care of animals and gain experience.
Cons: it was only a volunteer job and i had to leave it because i was not getting paid.
At this place, I was always on the go. I loved to take care of all of the animals and it took a lot of work. I didn't mind at all, of course. I had a lot of fun and gained experience in the field that I hope to pursue. I also gained skills of becoming part of a team.
rewarding job
Laborer/Helper (Former Employee), Twentynine Palms, CAJune 19, 2014
Pros: rewarding
Cons: same thing everyday, but enjoyable!!
I love animals and wish this job lasted for me!! I felt great that i helped all these animals everyday!!
Productive and enjoyable
Volunteer (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 22, 2014
I loved volunteering at the animal shelter because i always had a passion for animals. I chose to do this so get an idea of a workplace. a busy place, and how to manage things.
I loved working here and miss it
Volunteer (Former Employee), Riverside, CAAugust 26, 2013
Pros: listed above
Cons: listed above
I was a volunteer, but still felt like part of the working team. In my resume, I include what I did. But I will summarize it up here for you: I cleaned the kennels in both the dog and cat sections, socialized with all animals except the sick or vicious, helped with grooming the dogs that needed it, helped in the back where the vet techs were and cleaned kennels there; along with bringing animals in to get checked or adopted and cleaned the vet tools periodically, helped customers find their way around the place and helped owners find their lost pet. If we couldn't find them in our facility, we gave them a paper with a list of shelters in our area that might have them instead. Everyone at that place was very nice, even the volunteers and the hardeat part of the job was when I couldn't find an animal that an owner was desperately looking for. I feel for these people because I love animals, so I always wished the person luck on finding their pet. And as you can probably tell, I enjoyed every aspect of working here.
My favorite place to work
Kennel Assistant (Former Employee), Independence, MOAugust 23, 2013
I loved working at the animal shelter. I learned so many things about animals I did not know about before. I have a passion for animals so I had alot of fun. It was sad at times when we had to put some animals down or a kitten or puppy would die from being abused for so long but it made me want to work even harder to help animals.
Dirty
Volunteer (Former Employee), Maple, NCAugust 21, 2013
It was a very dirty job but it was rewarding when an animal was adopted out to someone. I cleaned cages, washed animals and fed animals to prepare them for visitors.
I love working with anamals.
Security and Caretaker (Former Employee), Rotated.July 29, 2013
Pros: finding homes for the animals.
Cons: not finding a home.
Clean, feed and groom animals.
Medicate as needed.
We had to work in all stations.
Office; answer phones- great the public and assist in anything
needed. Filing escorting public threw the kennels Cats or Dogs.
Adoptions. In home follow-up.
Matching animals and people. Finding that home for the animal,
was a great part of the job.
Assisting in surgery and recovery.
Laid back work enviroment
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee), owensboro,KYJuly 17, 2013
Pros: nice workers
I were to help take care of the animals, and help up at the front desk.
Nice place to work
Supervisor, City of Farmington (Former Employee), Farmington, NMJune 5, 2013
I was in my element from day One, loved to rescue all animals.
Had fun being the "Boss" but still down to earth to see all the problems and help to resolve them.
Working with the puppies
Receptionist (Former Employee), Zanesville,OhMay 10, 2013
I loved this job!!The people & management were amazing.I learned the value of a life!!
Fun workplace to be with animals
Volunteer (Former Employee), St. Croix, U.S. Virgin IslandsApril 21, 2013
A typical day at work was feeding and playing with the animals. I learned more on how to take care and tend to animals especially cats and dogs. the management was great and my co-workers were great people to work with, very respectable and gets along with everybody. the hardest part of this job was putting down some of the animals or witnessing a death of one of the animals from them being sick. The most enjoyable part of this job was how happy most of the animals were when they knew I would come to feed or play with them.
Good cause, good people
clerk (Former Employee), La Crosse, WI 54603February 4, 2013
Pros: working with the animals and people
Cons: all the animals that were put to sleep.
Clean , feed , bring the public in and try to find forever homes for the animals. Educate when needed. Adopt when possible. The only reason I left was because I accepted another job. I enjoyed my work., and enjoyed being with the animals.
Fun workplace working with animals
Animal Caregiver (Former Employee), Belleville, MIDecember 11, 2012
Pros: the animals were well taken care of at the end of the day.
My experience at the animal shelter was quite fun because I love animals and it was a joy working with the animals. I learned that there is a lot of animal abuse going on now days which is very sad. My co-workers were fun to work with, my work environment was very friendly and team-oriented. The hardest part of my job was bathing the animals. The best part of my job was showing affection towards the animals, making them feel loved because most of the animals in that shelter was either abused or neglected. Working with the animals was such an accomplishment at the end of the day because they were well taken care of.
I loved volunteering here
volunteer - Geneseo Humane Society (Former Employee), geneseo, IlOctober 26, 2012
I loved volunteering here because I was able to work with animals and people in a relaxing environment.
learn alot bout animals
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee), Forestville, MDOctober 15, 2012
• Scheduling appointments
• Served as a service dispatcher
• Explained clinic policy to patients
• Office communications, (i.e. receiving/delivering messages, and handled calls such as hospital labs and x-ray results
• Processed incoming and outgoing mail
• Handled billing inquiries and prescription requests
• Scheduled patient hospital admissions
• Filed medical reports, completed and filed insurance forms and retrieved patient charts.
Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) meets the 20 Standards for Charity Accountability.
Volunteering For Nursing Home (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MNAugust 22, 2012
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short breaks
It was a place where the animals could heal physically and rebuild their trust in humanity. It was a place where people could find their special companions. It was a place where I could see the wonderful results of the work we were doing. Unfortunately, by 2011, it was clear that the aging building was no longer the safe and healthy refuge it was intended to be. With great sadness they found places for the remaining animals and closed the doors for good.
In spite of the loss of the shelter, Star of the North Humane Society has continued to provide many services for the animals and people of Itasca County and the Northland community. Through the hard work of a dedicated group of volunteers, are continuing to help scores of animals to begin their new lives in loving homes-which is a joy to see as a former volunteer.
This job was a productive work environment and a very hands on type of job which i love.
Animal shelter volunteer (Former Employee), Elk Grove, CAAugust 9, 2012
A typical day for me at the shelter would be to unlock the dog kennels take them on walks and give them human interaction, feed them, do laundry, wash the dishes and help all the animals get adopted. I really enjoyed everything about the job. The best part to me would be when it was time to walk the dogs and give them human interaction, mainly because many of the dogs in the shelter lost that interaction and either became shy and or vicious to humans and we want to stop that and get them happy and ready so they can go home to a loving home and also show off to the adopters for potential adoption. My fellow volunteers were very helpful and nice they wanted to show you new tricks and tips and loved to help new volunteers in every way and so did the co-workers and management. There were many ups and downs of volunteering at the shelter. The big ones were when we would walk them one minute they were nice and the next they became very mean when around other dogs and many adopters wouldn't want to adopt for that reason. One thing i did learn for-sure is it inst easy taking care of all those animals and running a shelter with few co-workers, and volunteers are always needed and well appreciated!