Animal Shelter Employee Reviews

Working was really productive
Provide assisting (Former Employee), CoachellaJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Free Lunches
Cons: Payments were short
A typical day at work was hearing the dogs bark all day, i had to shower, feed , and play with the dogs. Whenever people wanted to buy dogs, i would make quick descriptions about the dogs and which ones i would recommend for them. The hardest part of my job was showering some of the dogs because they did not like showering at all. The most enjoyable part of my job was playing with the dogs, they were so active and playful.
Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee), Moreno Valley, CAJune 19, 2015
Everybody was extremely nice and welcoming. I learned almost everything the typical nurses had to know. The nurses had a great attitude and were always friendly. The hardest part of the job was making sure the animals' cages were spotless. I enjoyed every aspect of the job. Working with animals was certainly enjoyable.
I had mixed emotions working here.
Help (Former Employee), Needville, TXJune 15, 2015
Pros: I got to play with and care for the dogs.
Cons: It was sad to see them on concrete floors and wire gate kennels.
A typical morning would be going in and cleaning each dog kennel and walking them. The hardest part of the job was seeing how many dogs were without homes. The most enjoyable part was playing with them.
Productive and fun
Volunteer (Former Employee), PRJune 12, 2015
Had a beautiful experience working with all kind of animals. I made a lot of friends as a volunteer, and had fun taking care of the youngest animals such kitties and puppies
a great working enviorment
volunteer (Former Employee), Warren, RIJune 12, 2015
Pros: good sized facility, air conditioned
Cons: to many dogs in one cage at times
the most difficult part of the job was working with the more aggressive animals and trying to socialize them without hurting due to them trying to twist around to bite or scratch us.
the most enjoyable part was seeing those same animals become sweetly dispositioned and finding a loving family.
Loved Volunteering
Volunteer (Former Employee), Burbank, CAJune 5, 2015
Pros: helping animals
I really enjoyed being a part of the Humane Society because I made a difference in the animals' lives. I was able to help nurse animals who had been abused, back to health. It was a very rewarding experience. I had a major sense of accomplishment for every animal that was adopted to a forever home.
Make your own hours
Owner (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXMay 16, 2015
Pros: Volunteer, exciting opportunities, cat cuddles
Cons: Long hours, neverending cleaning, no pay
Although you won't get paid being a volunteer, the rewards are immeasurable. I learned that life is rough, and there are days that you just don't want to do anything, but you have to keep on going because there are lives that depend on you and work that needs to be done. It is nice to come home to a house full of love, and that makes it all worthwhile.
Helping out was fun
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee), Apple Valley, CAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: loving all animals
Cons: the smell of the kennels
I loved volunteering at the animal shelter. It was fun and interesting to get more experience.
A typical day is 6 hrs long.
My coworkers were very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly.
The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye.
I enjoyed taking on the responsibility to care for animals.
Great place to volunteer at, although they do not give the volunteers the same amount of things that they can do
Volunteer (Former Employee), Riverside, CAFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: great people to work for and with, which made me not really mind not being paid.
Cons: needed money, therefore i left for texas for better opportunities
I absolutely loved spending my time at this animal shelter, it was local and everybody there was so very helpful with getting me all of the information I needed to talk to customers with confidence, along with making sure that each individual animal was properly cared for. A typical day here involves me spending my time literally everywhere I was needed. I typically would not ask where they needed me. I figured it out for myself, which was a great feeling. Whether it be helping with maintaining the cleanliness of every cat and dog kennel in existence, even the ones in the vet tech section. Or grooming/bathing dogs that were in dire need of it so that they would be able to be adopted, walking dogs that needed to become more sociable and less timid, petting all animals while at the same time cleaning my hands before they came into contact with another animal, keeping vet tech tools clean and organized, bringing specific animals to the vet techs to do what ever they needed to, helping customers by answering their individual questions with the information I was told and taught, showing them potential pets, walking them through our lost pet section to see about finding their lost pet and if this didn't give the end result of reuniting them with their beloved pet, I gave them a list of all of the other animal shelters in the area, along with the phone numbers and wished them luck. This is not even the full version of what I did for this shelter. But I would be more than willing to answer any questions.
Never a dull moment, very rewarding
Shelter Assistant (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: working with the animals
Cons: euthanasia
My position allowed me to combine my love of animals and customer service. I cleaned kennels, medicated sick animals, and worked with potential adopters. I enjoyed working with the management team and my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was euthanizing sick or aggressive animals. The most enjoyable was finding the perfect forever homes for my babies.
I had fun working in the animal shelter
Non Farm Animal Caregiver (Former Employee), Mullins, SCNovember 28, 2014
Pros: free lunches
I love working with animals and people. I feed and cleaned animals gave meds. I want to one day get my own animal shelter
Up and about
Volunteer (Former Employee), Klamath Falls, ORSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: i got to take care of animals and gain experience.
Cons: it was only a volunteer job and i had to leave it because i was not getting paid.
At this place, I was always on the go. I loved to take care of all of the animals and it took a lot of work. I didn't mind at all, of course. I had a lot of fun and gained experience in the field that I hope to pursue. I also gained skills of becoming part of a team.
rewarding job
Laborer/Helper (Former Employee), Twentynine Palms, CAJune 19, 2014
Pros: rewarding
Cons: same thing everyday, but enjoyable!!
I love animals and wish this job lasted for me!! I felt great that i helped all these animals everyday!!
Productive and enjoyable
Volunteer (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 22, 2014
I loved volunteering at the animal shelter because i always had a passion for animals. I chose to do this so get an idea of a workplace. a busy place, and how to manage things.
I loved working here and miss it
Volunteer (Former Employee), Riverside, CAAugust 26, 2013
Pros: listed above
Cons: listed above
I was a volunteer, but still felt like part of the working team. In my resume, I include what I did. But I will summarize it up here for you: I cleaned the kennels in both the dog and cat sections, socialized with all animals except the sick or vicious, helped with grooming the dogs that needed it, helped in the back where the vet techs were and cleaned kennels there; along with bringing animals in to get checked or adopted and cleaned the vet tools periodically, helped customers find their way around the place and helped owners find their lost pet. If we couldn't find them in our facility, we gave them a paper with a list of shelters in our area that might have them instead. Everyone at that place was very nice, even the volunteers and the hardeat part of the job was when I couldn't find an animal that an owner was desperately looking for. I feel for these people because I love animals, so I always wished the person luck on finding their pet. And as you can probably tell, I enjoyed every aspect of working here.
My favorite place to work
Kennel Assistant (Former Employee), Independence, MOAugust 23, 2013
I loved working at the animal shelter. I learned so many things about animals I did not know about before. I have a passion for animals so I had alot of fun. It was sad at times when we had to put some animals down or a kitten or puppy would die from being abused for so long but it made me want to work even harder to help animals.
Dirty
Volunteer (Former Employee), Maple, NCAugust 21, 2013
It was a very dirty job but it was rewarding when an animal was adopted out to someone. I cleaned cages, washed animals and fed animals to prepare them for visitors.
I love working with anamals.
Security and Caretaker (Former Employee), Rotated.July 29, 2013
Pros: finding homes for the animals.
Cons: not finding a home.
Clean, feed and groom animals.
Medicate as needed.
We had to work in all stations.
Office; answer phones- great the public and assist in anything
needed. Filing escorting public threw the kennels Cats or Dogs.
Adoptions. In home follow-up.
Matching animals and people. Finding that home for the animal,
was a great part of the job.
Assisting in surgery and recovery.
Laid back work enviroment
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee), owensboro,KYJuly 17, 2013
Pros: nice workers
I were to help take care of the animals, and help up at the front desk.
Nice place to work
Supervisor, City of Farmington (Former Employee), Farmington, NMJune 5, 2013
I was in my element from day One, loved to rescue all animals.
Had fun being the "Boss" but still down to earth to see all the problems and help to resolve them.