Anixter Center

Anixter Center Employee Reviews

Anixter Review
Advocate (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 9, 2015
Enjoy my coworkers as well as my supervisor, but the house I work in is a behavior home, upon hire I was not told all of the stipulations of the house. upper management can be less concerned with protocol and more concerned with paperwork at times.
Great benefits, hard but rewarding work environment
Assisted Living Facilitator (Former Employee), Zion, ILJune 8, 2015
Pros: LOVED the clients and most co workers were caring and wonderful
Cons: I was a floater and had to leave when they lost funding for my position
Anixter helped me learn to work with difficult people. Our client base is handicapped, some very severely. I would usually work the overnight shift, which entailed helping clients get ready for their days. I would help shower them, ensure they used the toilet and practiced good hygiene before their buses arrived. I also cooked breakfast for them and packed their lunches.
Positive and efficient place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Gurnee, ILApril 24, 2015
On a daily basis I would straighten and process merchandise. Throughout this experience I learned to be more time organizational and to manage my time more efficiently.
Congenial work environment
Counselor/Creative Arts Therapist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2014
Pros: freedom to create programs; earn comp time; diverse population group
Cons: not competitive in matching salaries with other social service agencies
Responsible to conduct interactive groups; may support clients on a one to one; everyday responsibilities include monitoring clients during the lunch hour and assisting clients at the end of the day to get on their transportation. ... Management is supportive and very hands-on to assist staff. ... Co-workers are supportive. The hardest part of the job is when conducting groups there may be several individuals with different cognitive levels, it's difficult to keep everyone's attention. The most enjoyable part of the job, is the freedom to implement programs.
customer service
Advocate (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: pay well
Cons: not friendly enviorment
Enjoy the position, and learning new things such as software, process of mail deliveries of medication
every one is so helpful
Floor attendant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 3, 2014
Sweeps department, using broom to keep work area clean. Hauls molds, mold components, and machine parts to and from forming department for job changes . Transports cullet from department to storage area, using forklift or handtruck.
DSP Supervisors, lack of management, and jealousy = drama.
Advocate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2014
Pros: benefits package/clients are easy to manage.
Cons: no weekends off ever/management sits in their offices and are bias
At first I thought this would be a great place to work. Benefits were good, location good, and clients were friendly. House Manager had no idea what to do & was intimidated by senior staff. House hardly ever had supplies needed to complete job i.e gloves, cleaning supplies to sanitize, & clients didn't have proper wardrobes, some clients didn't have socks & other undergarments.
Staffs are catty as – more... well as petty. If you love assisting clients, treating them w/respect, and actually work to help them, you will become a threat/target among other senior staffs. Upper Management are friends with senior staff outside the workplace, they allow senior staff to run/control the house, and therefore make bias decisions based on their friendship.

Not sure about others homes but, one house had bedbugs and contagious diseases that were not mentioned during interview process. Made aware of it after working there.
Overall if you want med/dental insurance, they offer it. Pay is not great but, I received eleven & change hourly for several years of experience.
Met a few nice caring staffs. Clients are good and easy to work with. – less
Need better managers
Advocate/DSP (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 18, 2014
Pros: great clients
Cons: poor team work with co workers
The work itself is good, clients are great. House manager is never out of her office, even when you are short of staff. Some of the co worker are always late or either calling out. Hardest part of the jobs is passing out meds. You have a lot of clients, you have to know what they are taking and why they are taking those meds.
NO fun
Respite worker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2013
Pros: that some was (self) was there hope truly cared
Cons: nothing
Bad living conditions Didn't care about anything but the dollars
Pointless
Respite Worker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 3, 2013
Pros: the clients, hour lunches
Cons: wages, benefits, management, travel
I loved my job at Anixter, i always loved helping people, and the clients i worked with wonderful,we attended different programs they felt suitable for them, and i assisted. four to five clients a day. all different personas that needed that extra push, or attention.I learned a lot there, I learned to sign to the deaf clients, cpr, different stress management skills. My First supervisor was the the – more... best. very nice and kind, but will let you know if there is a problem, Also help you with your problem. But the pay was not enough. if you are a respite, No benefits, you do a lot of the same work the ones that are regulars do, but if you are hurt by one of the clients, or on the job, you're just hurt. I didn't receive my checks on time,I had to wait over a month for a 200$ check, they were sent to different addresses, and also, there was a lot of favoritism, So if you weren't a friend or family member, you would barely get work. – less
Established organization's marketing department and defined the function to meet operating tactical and strategic needs including brand -building need
Director of Marketing (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 1, 2013
Pros: overcame the challenge of marketing a negative topic: 'disabilities, effective advocacy for underserved population, positioned agency as significant topic resource among policy makers.'.
Cons: limited human resources in department, less than adequate budget for needed campaigns.
• Developed and managed formal strategic planning process in organization that provides services and advocacy for children and adults with disabilities with 450 employees, $31M budget.
• Worked with CEO to set direction for multicultural marketing strategies. Supervised staff plus university interns as needed.
• Created the Government Relations position which facilitated information sharing across – more... board members, staff, families and
policy makers in regards to the mission and funding required to sustain and grow impact of the service programs.
• Researched and developed campaigns tailored to special markets including Latino, Deaf culture, and Asian communities.
• Launched organization’s first Web site with events list, e-commerce for 100+ product and services; 300% increase in web traffic.
• Managed $85K / year in media ad contracts to support efforts in fundraising and client recruitment; average ROMI 1.8;
increased program class enrollments by 35%; $3M in sales for industrial service businesses. – less
Tutor
Volunteer Tutor (Current Employee), ChicagoApril 26, 2013
Pros: meaningful
Cons: n/a
I have volunteered as a tutor at Anixter Center for over three years. It is a wonderful organization that truly cares about its people. Outstanding!
A day at the office
Security Systems Manager (Current Employee), ILLINOISFebruary 23, 2013
Pros: good healthcare, long lunch, flexible vacation and sick time
Cons: low pay, poor management
M-F 8am to 4pm (sometimes later) provide support for 250+ Client PC's along with Network and Security infrastructure.
Dangerous work environment
Respite Worker (Former Employee), Zion, ILSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: most residents fairly easy to take care of.
Cons: not enough help when you need it and manager is hard to get in touch with.
I was attacked by a client who was very unstable. I found that when you really need to get in touch with the manager she almost never answers her phone. I learned that the hardest part of the job is protecting yourself from being attacked. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people that I did.
Very good benefits package, working with the clients was very rewarding . But the middle management is very political and connected for advancement.
Residential Advocate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 25, 2012
No job security after working there for over 20 years the company tends to push the older employees out through lay-off or other frivolous means. Terrible place to work in Residential, the management staff treat staff very bad.I wouldn't recommend as a long term career choice.The most rewarding part of the job is empowering the persons that you serve on a daily bases.Dealing with management that really don't care about the clients that we are suppose to serve and empower. The union could needs so revamping .
Productive and Flexible
Intern (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 1, 2012
The Anixter Center is a really great place to intern and work. They offer so many services to people that the staff is made up of people with really diverse interests and backgrounds. It can be an interns bread and butter in the sense that there are so many different departments to get involved with. Its a great place to gain a lot of valuable experience.
people with disability to work and learn.
packing (Former Employee), chicago, ilNovember 15, 2011
good standards, great oppuntunies to get alone with disable like blind, deft and learning to move on to a great career in life with people with disability.

Anixter Center Salaries