Anixter Center Employee Reviews

A great to work for, love the people I work with
Accounts Payable Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2017
It's a great place to work for. They have a great mission to help out our clients but with the economy and Illinois budget not being at its best, non-profit programs are hurting a lot.

I guess, I believed that I am working to help out people with special needs which helps me sleep well at night.
Pros
1 hour lunches
Cons
a lot of changes
A very good place to work
Janitorial Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 20, 2017
It,s a very good place to come and work to learn and to be respectful and learn how the Navy base works and how to be a part of them and how to make them feel at home on the base.
Love the clients but extremely stressful place to work
Residential Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 16, 2017
Wonderful clients, stressful work environment, being on call is the hardest part of the job. New Administration in place and not enough feedback asked of existing employees.
Great enviorment to work along with mentally disable community
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2017
I've worked along side some great people, I've had the opportunity to experience life from others less fortunate, yet they are extremely grateful for what they have. I've also learned patience and how to appreciate the little things in life which matters most. This community has actually taught me more then i could have imagined. There is a whole world of people who makes the circle of life revolve and this community plays a huge part.
Pros
flexability, cooking, caring for others, field trips, etc
Cons
mandations, not enough over time, communication between staff
Unprofessional
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 10, 2016
When I say the worst job I ever had and very unprofessional I worked there recently for 4 months at one of the houses and 3 of the managers at that house walked off the job n quit worst job ever wouldn't recommend anyone to work there in I usually don't give reviews but I jus had to for this job so believe me when I say this
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Clients have behaviors n hit staff sometimes
Need connections to advance
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 5, 2016
Anixter Power Solutions in a new branch, opened in Oct 2015. On the warehouse side, we worked with the local power suppliers to provide everything that was power related. Working for the state provided fantastic job security, little to no risk of being laid off. However, in order to advance, you REALLY had to suck up to management, or play ball on their team. Even if you worked hard, came in on time, and performed you job to the letter, there was no chance for moving up within if you didn't sip the corporate koolaid. Associates that spoke their mind or merely spoke up found themselves being asked to leave the company. Overall, I loved the work, the benefits were great, the PTO was generous and the associates were great to work alongside. It was the management that drove to workers to dissent.
Could be much better
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2015
Flexible work hours, you must fight for any type of training outside of the agency, need to tolerate poor communication from upper management.
Anixter Review
Advocate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2015
Enjoy my coworkers as well as my supervisor, but the house I work in is a behavior home, upon hire I was not told all of the stipulations of the house. upper management can be less concerned with protocol and more concerned with paperwork at times.
Great benefits, hard but rewarding work environment
Assisted Living Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Zion, ILJune 8, 2015
Anixter helped me learn to work with difficult people. Our client base is handicapped, some very severely. I would usually work the overnight shift, which entailed helping clients get ready for their days. I would help shower them, ensure they used the toilet and practiced good hygiene before their buses arrived. I also cooked breakfast for them and packed their lunches.
Pros
LOVED the clients and most co workers were caring and wonderful
Cons
I was a floater and had to leave when they lost funding for my position
Positive and efficient place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILApril 24, 2015
On a daily basis I would straighten and process merchandise. Throughout this experience I learned to be more time organizational and to manage my time more efficiently.
Congenial work environment
Counselor/Creative Arts Therapist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2014
Responsible to conduct interactive groups; may support clients on a one to one; everyday responsibilities include monitoring clients during the lunch hour and assisting clients at the end of the day to get on their transportation. ... Management is supportive and very hands-on to assist staff. ... Co-workers are supportive. The hardest part of the job is when conducting groups there may be several individuals with different cognitive levels, it's difficult to keep everyone's attention. The most enjoyable part of the job, is the freedom to implement programs.
Pros
Freedom to create programs; earn comp time; diverse population group
Cons
Not competitive in matching salaries with other social service agencies
customer service
Advocate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 9, 2014
Enjoy the position, and learning new things such as software, process of mail deliveries of medication
Pros
pay well
Cons
not friendly enviorment
every one is so helpful
Floor attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 3, 2014
Sweeps department, using broom to keep work area clean. Hauls molds, mold components, and machine parts to and from forming department for job changes . Transports cullet from department to storage area, using forklift or handtruck.
DSP Supervisors, lack of management, and jealousy = drama.
Advocate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2014
At first I thought this would be a great place to work. Benefits were good, location good, and clients were friendly. House Manager had no idea what to do & was intimidated by senior staff. House hardly ever had supplies needed to complete job i.e gloves, cleaning supplies to sanitize, & clients didn't have proper wardrobes, some clients didn't have socks & other undergarments.
Staffs are catty as well as petty. If you love assisting clients, treating them w/respect, and actually work to help them, you will become a threat/target among other senior staffs. Upper Management are friends with senior staff outside the workplace, they allow senior staff to run/control the house, and therefore make bias decisions based on their friendship.

Not sure about others homes but, one house had bedbugs and contagious diseases that were not mentioned during interview process. Made aware of it after working there.
Overall if you want med/dental insurance, they offer it. Pay is not great but, I received eleven & change hourly for several years of experience.
Met a few nice caring staffs. Clients are good and easy to work with.
Pros
Benefits Package/Clients are easy to manage.
Cons
NO WEEKENDS OFF EVER/Management Sits in their Offices and are Bias
Need better managers
Advocate/DSP (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2014
The work itself is good, clients are great. House manager is never out of her office, even when you are short of staff. Some of the co worker are always late or either calling out. Hardest part of the jobs is passing out meds. You have a lot of clients, you have to know what they are taking and why they are taking those meds.
Pros
Great Clients
Cons
poor team work with co workers
NO fun
Respite worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2013
Bad living conditions Didn't care about anything but the dollars
Pros
That some was (self) was there hope truly cared
Cons
nothing
Pointless
Respite Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 3, 2013
I loved my job at Anixter, i always loved helping people, and the clients i worked with wonderful,we attended different programs they felt suitable for them, and i assisted. four to five clients a day. all different personas that needed that extra push, or attention.I learned a lot there, I learned to sign to the deaf clients, cpr, different stress management skills. My First supervisor was the the best. very nice and kind, but will let you know if there is a problem, Also help you with your problem. But the pay was not enough. if you are a respite, No benefits, you do a lot of the same work the ones that are regulars do, but if you are hurt by one of the clients, or on the job, you're just hurt. I didn't receive my checks on time,I had to wait over a month for a 200$ check, they were sent to different addresses, and also, there was a lot of favoritism, So if you weren't a friend or family member, you would barely get work.
Pros
The clients, Hour lunches
Cons
Wages, Benefits, Management, Travel
Established organization's marketing department and defined the function to meet operating tactical and strategic needs including brand -building need
Director of Marketing (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2013
• Developed and managed formal strategic planning process in organization that provides services and advocacy for children and adults with disabilities with 450 employees, $31M budget.
• Worked with CEO to set direction for multicultural marketing strategies. Supervised staff plus university interns as needed.
• Created the Government Relations position which facilitated information sharing across board members, staff, families and
policy makers in regards to the mission and funding required to sustain and grow impact of the service programs.
• Researched and developed campaigns tailored to special markets including Latino, Deaf culture, and Asian communities.
• Launched organization’s first Web site with events list, e-commerce for 100+ product and services; 300% increase in web traffic.
• Managed $85K / year in media ad contracts to support efforts in fundraising and client recruitment; average ROMI 1.8;
increased program class enrollments by 35%; $3M in sales for industrial service businesses.
Pros
Overcame the challenge of marketing a negative topic: 'disabilities, effective advocacy for underserved population, positioned agency as significant topic resource among policy makers.'.
Cons
Limited human resources in department, less than adequate budget for needed campaigns.
Tutor
Volunteer Tutor (Current Employee) –  ChicagoApril 26, 2013
I have volunteered as a tutor at Anixter Center for over three years. It is a wonderful organization that truly cares about its people. Outstanding!
Pros
meaningful
Cons
n/a
Dangerous work environment
Respite Worker (Former Employee) –  Zion, ILSeptember 21, 2012
I was attacked by a client who was very unstable. I found that when you really need to get in touch with the manager she almost never answers her phone. I learned that the hardest part of the job is protecting yourself from being attacked. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people that I did.
Pros
most residents fairly easy to take care of.
Cons
not enough help when you need it and manager is hard to get in touch with.