Anka Behavioral Health, Inc.

Anka Behavioral Health, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

New to having LVN in facility, some staff lost hour and jobs due to this.
LVN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CAAugust 24, 2016
Working lunch, so you may or may not get one. NO overtime period. They are new to having licensed staff in the facility and since this cost some to lose hours and jobs. One can sense the displeasure of having the new licensed staff there.
Pros
Easy to find off the freeway (120)
Cons
Micromanagement by all staff members.
Very poor leadership
CRS (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAAugust 24, 2016
Anka overall is a decent company. But whatever you do, don't work at Nierika house in concord. The program administrator is not supportive at all. The entire staffs morale is torn apart because of who is running that program. How she spoke about the clients made me sick to my stomach. Your gonna end up doing way more than the job description. The PA is supposed to be there Monday through Friday 9-5. I swear on my entire family she comes in maybe 2-3 times a week. And when she does show up she comes in around noon and leaves at 5:30. I suggest somebody from corporate talks to that staff annomusly so they can find out the truth about the lady running the program. You will not be appreciated and you will be very stressed out.
Pros
Great co workers/ shift lead
Cons
Program administrator and the pay sucks
Doesn't Recognize or Compensate Clinicians Appropriately
Telehealth Clinician & Clinical Administrator (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAJuly 25, 2016
I have worked for Anka for almost nine years, and it has given me good experience for my CV, but overall it is not a great company to work for. They do not pay very well, even when you're upper management. It is hard work and the clinicians don't get compensated appropriately for their time and education. An MFT intern is paid the same as a licensed psychologist for the same position. There is room to move up in the company because there's so much turnover that positions are constantly opening up. Ultimately this is not a company one can depend on for a decent career, but if you want good (stressful) crisis experience short-term this is the place to go.
Pros
Good experience for your resume/CV
Cons
Stressful, unsupportive work environment, poor pay, they use you for as long as they can and then dump you when you're not useful anymore
I miss working for this company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAJuly 11, 2016
This company offers continued education courses which are very enlightening and look terrific on a resume. They are very structured and offer great advancement opportunities.
Pros
continued education courses, great management
Cons
you have to work through your lunch
Professional environent
Vocational Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, GAJune 12, 2016
Anka provided a professional environment that fostered growth and encouraged it's employees to take initiatives. They are big on promoting from within and contributes to continued education.
Management was no good
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 31, 2016
I worked at Anka for about 4.5 years before I left them in early 2015. I worked at Hayward Hills. When I first started, it was great. I worked with wonderful people and my boss at the time was amazing. Slowly, we had new management (an older woman who was lazy and shouldn't be in this field) and they hired LAZY people who was only there for the money (which they did not pay too well). Clients were fun to work with and it was good to see improvement in them as they leave. Our psychiatrist there is amazing. I just did not like the new comers of coworkers who did not interact with Clients and would always watch tv, go on facebook all their shift and basically did not do their job. The program manager at the time didn't do her job as well. She favored certain staff there and refused to communicate in a professional manner. She also refused to communicate with clients in the home. Honestly, I feel bad for any clients who ends up in this home. Too many lazy people there who do not care for these people who are there for help and to be mentored.
Pros
Get to go on outings.
Cons
Lame employees, except psychiatrist.
good experience
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAApril 16, 2016
ok experience for my time there . nice co workers hardest part is communication and no respect for others it was just my time for better things
Pros
nice supervisor
Cons
no communication within jobs no consistency
Stress w/o adequate support
Drug and alcohol screener (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAApril 16, 2016
Worked as a drug and alcohol screener. There are no methods to support, in the moment, from an unruly client. Regularly dealt with disparaging remarks from clients unwilling to follow testing protocols.

Staff was friendly, and some clients were, too. Those made it worthwhile.

Management failed to identify and address problem clients, and instead waited for their probation officer to remand them into custody as the preferred (and only) method of dealing with clients' unruliness (though there would be reports submitted to the P.O.'s after the fact).

You'll need a very thick skin and the patience of a saint to endure this job for any prolonged length of time, and you'll likely end up getting fired when you attempt to set or maintain a boundary with the most obnoxious client.
Interesting Job
Mental Health Rehabilitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAMarch 21, 2016
I enjoy my job working for Anka and management is great. This a job where you learn a lot of information especially skills you can use in your everyday life.
Co workers make it worthwhile. Upper management constantly kept you wondering if you still had a job
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAFebruary 12, 2016
Work for the company for many years without proper compensation, recognition for good work, nepotism and only get promoted if they want you not based on work history, qualifications or history. Would not recommend to work here
Cons
Regional directors. Program administrators
Fun Coworkers
Child Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Carmichael, CAJanuary 14, 2016
Great place to work, but the pay/job description ratio sucks and management isn't that great. The clients are awesome and it really starts to feel like a home. They work great around your personal/family life schedule too
thing are good at some CRTs and bad at others
MHRW (Current Employee) –  Santa Maria, CAJanuary 7, 2016
Some managers are nightmares with their own staff and call other facilities staff to hold it together. Gossip gets bad in the facility that has to bail out program managers who can't wipe their own butts.

Santa Barbara is the worst.
Pros
clients and workers
Cons
Manager
High stress environment
Mental Health Rehabilitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CADecember 15, 2015
Answering phones, intake new clients, clean rooms, cook dinner, do counseling meetings,pass meds, progress notes count meds,pick up new clients!I learned patience.Management unskilled, Most of the co-workers were great. Hardest,Client intake, Most enjoyable, cooking
Pros
Free diner or lunch
Cons
overworked due to understaffed
Loved working here
LVN (Former Employee) –  Indio, CADecember 14, 2015
Good place to work. Liked the coworkers, management and patients. Really liked having four days off a week, got to spend more time with my family.
Pros
12hr shifts, small pt load
Cons
No advancement or significant raises
Full filling and rewarding job
Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  French Camp, CANovember 29, 2015
Very busy and a lot of crisis intervention. Constant change in direction of each day. Challenging in every aspect of the job.
fun and productive
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJune 29, 2015
I enjoyed assisting clients with everyday needs. The hardest part of the job was when a client wasn't having a good day and didn't want to cooperate but once you get them to do what's needed to be done the rest of the day we can enjoy fun activities that are scheduled.
Pros
casual dress
Cons
clients not cooperating
The best and worst job I ever had.
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, CAJune 26, 2015
Work was usually fast paced and non-stop. From the time you walk in the door, you're reading the previous shift's notes, counting meds, and then immediately dealing with clients. The rules were ever changing, the expectations were constantly being raised. There was a lot of favoritism towards certain employees. I enjoyed working with the clients and certain co-workers; however, many of the co-workers were not even 21 and had a junior high mentality. Lots of game playing and back stabbing. I worked extremely hard while my co-worker sat and played on her facebook and pinterest and that's when she actually showed up to work (she called off 2-3 days per/week) yet I was the one who got let go (over her word of mouth). The environment was so stressful that it was no longer worth it. May great staff quit over the BS that started consuming the workplace. There was no team work, only hostility. Not all Anka programs were like this though. I worked for one of the adult facilities and it was a complete 180 from Carmichael. It all depends on the PA, CA, and staff. There was no employee support, only plotting on how to get an employee in trouble. Honestly not worth the pay rate though.
Pros
Making a difference, working with diverse clients, great experience, lots of overtime (sometimes too much).
Cons
Overpriced benefits, low pay with no room for advancement, shady co-workers, corrupt corporate.
Fast pace, provides a sence of gratitude
Mental Health Rehabilitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Delhi, CAMarch 19, 2015
Providing care to people with special needs, completing necessary paperwork, requires organization, on your feet for a majority of the work day
productive work place enjoyable exprience
AOD counselor (Current Employee) –  Vallejo, CAMarch 8, 2015
A typical day at work for me consists of leading groups with inmates, e.g. relapse prevention, trauma, anger management. I then write reports entailing observations, growth, and needs for improvement. I also meet with individual clients to discuss my observations and get input from them about what they learned and how to apply it do daily interactions and contacts with potential problems that may arise.
I learn from each encounter because we are all human and each experience that may not even apply to me personally is still a learning tool. Management is in place to lead and I follow the procedures My co-workers are my team. We consult with each other daily. The hardest part of the job is leaving problems at work because I genuinely care for their situations. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing improvements in their perspective and lifestyle changes. This is the most rewarding experience.
Provides 100% of services to the client needs. Working at Casa Pacifica I gain experience working in Community Base Services
Mental Health Recovery Worker (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CAFebruary 27, 2015
Working at Casa Pacifica you feel 100% supported by the personal, this includes HR, the Program Manager, your supervisor. I learned to be part of a company that appreciates their personal. The co-workers are a team that work to provide the families with their needs by letting the families their voices to be hear. The hardest part of the job is that you have it that it is an 8 hour-day and there was so much need. Working at Casa Pacifica was a great experience.
Pros
acknowledges and recognitions for the job done.
Cons
n/a

2.9