Ann Arbor Public Schools Employee Reviews

Busy, very busy.
Noon Hour Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 17, 2017
First if you can not get along with students this is not the place for you. What I learned is to treat each and every student like my own. Let them know you care. They will test this but once you have their trust, it's for life. This is a very fast paced workplace you have to be on guard every second. You must be looking around at all times, be friendly and most of all have patience. The hardest part of the job is Graduation. After spending so much time with the students it is hard to let them go. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing their smiling faces run to you in the morning, at lunch or any sporting event. To tell you something funny or just to stand near you.
Pros
Having an impact on the lives of students who trust you.
Cons
Not being able to bond with every student.
Ann Arbor parents are appreciative and professional to deal with.
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJune 6, 2017
The most enjoyable part was working with a variety of cultures and different ways of teaching based on the students needs. The days were all the same activities and I always knew what to expect when I arrived every day.
Pros
Learning new things
Great working environment
Assistant Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 7, 2017
This was my first central office job, and I can say that I learned an awful lot during my tenure in Ann Arbor. It is a wonderful working environment with great teachers and supportive and engaged parents.
Pros
Workplace culture
Cons
Competing priorities
Great staff and support
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 20, 2017
This district supports its teachers and students. They offer a great benefits package and provide supplies for teachers classrooms. Good district to work for.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Lacks full inclusion practices
Good job for college sudents
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 23, 2016
Good job for college student, but not a good job for someone seeking longterm employment. You pay for your own CPR certificate and you have to go through 16 hours of professional development training outside of work. Kids are amazing though.
A place to work with multi-cultural students.
Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 25, 2016
I was in two buildings and taught K-5 in one building and the other was different grades. I learned how to manage time. Being in two buildings made it a challenge to get to know all the students. In both buildings the staff and support staff was excellent. The hardest part of the job was getting to know everyone. One building had 350 students plus staff. the other building had 300 students. The most enjoyable part was interacting with my students.
Productive and provide room for growth
Virtual & Technical Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 12, 2016
quick learning required to get up to speed

lot of support to learn culture

supportive management

diverse work force

peer mentoring
Pros
supportive and welcoming
Cons
like all huge environments can be overwhelming in the beginning
Great,oo wonderful place to work in
Noon Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 6, 2016
While I have worked for Ann Arbor public schools I had a wonderful experience supervising children and having lunch in the cafeteria.
Pros
joyful, remarkable, wonderful learning environment
Cons
too many distruptions
productive work environmant
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 19, 2016
A great place to start off a sales working experience. I enjoyed helping others with picking out laptops and computers that best fit there needs
Pros
discount
Cons
printing departmant
Fulfilling and delightfully challenging
Group Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 31, 2016
I have been doing Child Care for over 20 years and yet I learn something new every day. There are so many different things going on at once and part of my job is to fulfill the needs of each individual in my care, to know all of the individual personalities and to keep them all entertained and involved. I enjoy my job with the morning and after school program and look forward to going to work each day.
Outstanding District with Innovative Ideas
Teacher, Middle School AD, Co-Curricular Director (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 9, 2016
AAPS continues to look for places to improve. It is a great district with many intelligent and hardworking educators. I have learned so much from so many!
I appreciate the oppurtuities for growth during my thirty years with Ann Arbor Public Schools.
custodial (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 8, 2016
I starting as a custodian and expanding in many departments. Last position as a Custodial Crew Chief . I managed the custodians and scheduled. I was able to communicate and build work relationships with building administrators , staff, parents and public.. Provide interview and training. Deliver equipment and supplies on demand. Experience with Kronos. Met and work with a divers group of people. The hardest part of my job was to discipline the employee with the steps of union contract.
An area of enjoyment was the beginning of a school year when the entire building was shining. The visible evidence of all the hard work our school custodians provided over the summer .
It was pleasure to serve the district.
Pros
Experience with vendors and working with a divers group of people.
Cons
Many times it was a thanklless job. often you only heard the complaints and few compliments.
Lots of positivity and great energy.A great place for hands on learning
Noon Hour Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 30, 2015
An awesome place to work, really high energy,positive people. I learned to not only guide children from an adult perspective but to empathize and understand their thoughts and ideas as their peer.
Pros
The kids and environment
Cons
Not enough hours for my position.
Assist teachers and implement IEP goals.
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Aide (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 30, 2015
A place where being a team player is essential. Important to have good communication skills with co - workers. Staff works together to implement the education goals of each students. Must have patience and a positive attitude.
Pros
Set schedule and holidays off.
Cons
Increasing cost for health care, no advancement.
Rewarding and Excellent place to work
Noon Lunch Supervisor Part Time (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 21, 2015
Working as a lunch room supervisor has given me more opportunity to work with a diverse team of individuals. I enjoy working with the students and building a respectable rapport with them all as well as the teaching staff and administrators.
Pros
Ann Arbor Public Schools
Enjoyed working with staff, kids and family.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 14, 2014
A typical day of work for me was opening building, cleaning daily area, being on call for staff and letting afternoon custodian know of anything going on in afternoon such as special activities. I learn how to be a team player. l organize and ran summer cleaning in my building. My co-workers was good to work with and hard workers. The hardest part of the job for me was hearing that we was being outsourced. The most enjoyable part was the feed back from the people I served.
Pros
Very hard and Knowledgeable worker.
Cons
Having to leave do to outsourcing
Would not recommend this job to anyone.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 10, 2014
This was all I could find in the short time that I had to find work. My sister worked their which is why I went in that direction to begin with. Unfortunately, after a year of employment I injured my shoulder and was unable to work further.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Back breaking work
Ann Arbor Public Schools was an awesome place to work for many years.
Custodial Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 15, 2014
The most rewarding part of the job was getting those projects done when you only had a short amount of time to finish. Those jobs would always take place during break periods. I would work right along with my crews and we would get the job done. Meeting new people whether it was students, staff and parents. It was always difficult asking staff to do more for less and seeing them take pride in their work and doing what you ask.
Pros
Looking back at a job well done after cleaning and large projects
Cons
being provitized
Lead Teacher
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 2, 2014
Work closely with the principal in devising a plan for changing school dynamics and outcomes in a predominantly African American population, in an alternative school.
Worst Job Ever!
Secretary to the Team Sports Manager (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 4, 2014
The manager there was a absolute nightmare! Worst place I ever worked for!