Ann Arbor Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Fulfilling and delightfully challenging
Group Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 31, 2016
I have been doing Child Care for over 20 years and yet I learn something new every day. There are so many different things going on at once and part of my job is to fulfill the needs of each individual in my care, to know all of the individual personalities and to keep them all entertained and involved. I enjoy my job with the morning and after school program and look forward to going to work each day.
Productive and provide room for growth
Virtual & Technical Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 12, 2016
quick learning required to get up to speed

lot of support to learn culture

supportive management

diverse work force

peer mentoring
Pros
supportive and welcoming
Cons
like all huge environments can be overwhelming in the beginning
Great,oo wonderful place to work in
Noon Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 6, 2016
While I have worked for Ann Arbor public schools I had a wonderful experience supervising children and having lunch in the cafeteria.
Pros
joyful, remarkable, wonderful learning environment
Cons
too many distruptions
productive work environmant
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 19, 2016
A great place to start off a sales working experience. I enjoyed helping others with picking out laptops and computers that best fit there needs
Pros
discount
Cons
printing departmant
I appreciate the oppurtuities for growth during my thirty years with Ann Arbor Public Schools.
custodial (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 8, 2016
I starting as a custodian and expanding in many departments. Last position as a Custodial Crew Chief . I managed the custodians and scheduled. I was able to communicate and build work relationships with building administrators , staff, parents and public.. Provide interview and training. Deliver equipment and supplies on demand. Experience with Kronos. Met and work with a divers group of people. The hardest part of my job was to discipline the employee with the steps of union contract.
An area of enjoyment was the beginning of a school year when the entire building was shining. The visible evidence of all the hard work our school custodians provided over the summer .
It was pleasure to serve the district.
Pros
Experience with vendors and working with a divers group of people.
Cons
Many times it was a thanklless job. often you only heard the complaints and few compliments.
Outstanding District with Innovative Ideas
Teacher, Middle School AD, Co-Curricular Director (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 9, 2016
AAPS continues to look for places to improve. It is a great district with many intelligent and hardworking educators. I have learned so much from so many!
Lots of positivity and great energy.A great place for hands on learning
Noon Hour Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 30, 2015
An awesome place to work, really high energy,positive people. I learned to not only guide children from an adult perspective but to empathize and understand their thoughts and ideas as their peer.
Pros
The kids and environment
Cons
Not enough hours for my position.
Assist teachers and implement IEP goals.
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Aide (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 30, 2015
A place where being a team player is essential. Important to have good communication skills with co - workers. Staff works together to implement the education goals of each students. Must have patience and a positive attitude.
Pros
Set schedule and holidays off.
Cons
Increasing cost for health care, no advancement.
Rewarding and Excellent place to work
Noon Lunch Supervisor Part Time (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 21, 2015
Working as a lunch room supervisor has given me more opportunity to work with a diverse team of individuals. I enjoy working with the students and building a respectable rapport with them all as well as the teaching staff and administrators.
Pros
Ann Arbor Public Schools
Enjoyed working with staff, kids and family.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 14, 2014
A typical day of work for me was opening building, cleaning daily area, being on call for staff and letting afternoon custodian know of anything going on in afternoon such as special activities. I learn how to be a team player. l organize and ran summer cleaning in my building. My co-workers was good to work with and hard workers. The hardest part of the job for me was hearing that we was being outsourced. The most enjoyable part was the feed back from the people I served.
Pros
very hard and knowledgeable worker.
Cons
having to leave do to outsourcing
Ann Arbor Public Schools was an awesome place to work for many years.
Custodial Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 15, 2014
The most rewarding part of the job was getting those projects done when you only had a short amount of time to finish. Those jobs would always take place during break periods. I would work right along with my crews and we would get the job done. Meeting new people whether it was students, staff and parents. It was always difficult asking staff to do more for less and seeing them take pride in their work and doing what you ask.
Pros
looking back at a job well done after cleaning and large projects
Cons
being provitized
Would not recommend this job to anyone.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 10, 2014
This was all I could find in the short time that I had to find work. My sister worked their which is why I went in that direction to begin with. Unfortunately, after a year of employment I injured my shoulder and was unable to work further.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
back breaking work
stressful
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 20, 2013
I drove the school bus to pick up and drop off students (perschoolers). It was for me stressful because these children and parents held me accountable for there safty daily rain or shine.I learned to be more patient.
Pros
seeing the childern everyday was a plus for me
Cons
driving in the winter months not so good
Productive, educational work envirorment
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 22, 2012
I enjoyed my years with this company, i have learned many interesting things it takes to keep the public school systems up and running. It takes a team effort from every single department to make the schools a safe and efficient place for our youth to learn and grow.
The work had low mental stress.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 10, 2013
The work was hard physically, and it was sometimes difficult to get everything done. The co-workers were nice to work with. I enjoyed the lack of mental stress.
Pros
pay for any overtime, good benefits.
Cons
the work was hard physically.
Lead Teacher
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 2, 2014
Work closely with the principal in devising a plan for changing school dynamics and outcomes in a predominantly African American population, in an alternative school.
Great Experience
Assistant Football Coach (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 26, 2014
Had a great experience working with the freshman football team. An overall great coaching staff on each level.
good benifits
Sub custodian (Current Employee) –  MIJuly 7, 2012
Most people are easy to get along with. advancement are based alot based on seniority not experiance.
Pros
health care
Cons
low wages
Worst Job Ever!
Secretary to the Team Sports Manager (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 4, 2014
The manager there was a absolute nightmare! Worst place I ever worked for!
Great Place to Work at.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 11, 2013
Love the job i just decided that it was time for me to have a change and move from Michigan to Georgia

4.3