Anne Arundel County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Flexible schedule
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMarch 20, 2017
Working for Anne Arundel County Public School as an interpreter is great because I can choose when to work based on my other schedules. I work temporary, and because of that I do not get any benefits, but the pay is great.
The management team is always aware of employees necessities even if you are just temporary.
The hardest part of the job is when interpreting a sad situation.
Pros
Make you schedule
Cons
no benefits for temporary workers
Benefits are great!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  AACPSDecember 8, 2016
It is a great county to teach in!
-Benefits are amazing
-Supportive staff and lots of PD
-Students are eager to learn
-County partially reimburses further schooling
TSA - Temporary Support Assistant
Part-time Temporary Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDNovember 27, 2016
One on one aid with special needs students. Most students in my dept. are autistic. The kids are great!

My direct co-workers are outstanding! They really love doing what they do.

Seeing the kids smile everyday and knowing that you are making a difference.
Pros
Work life balance is better than anywhere else I have worked
Cons
The pay is below state average
Supportive Peer Network
Principal/School Counselor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 17, 2016
AACPS encourages and supports their school leaders by providing time for them to cultivate relationships with peers. These relationships provide the necessary framework of support during stressful times. The relationships that I've development would definitely be the most enjoyable part of the job.

That being said, AACPS frequently utilizes a "knee jerk" mentality when implementing new initiatives and programs. These initiatives are often created by upper level management individuals or groups who haven't been inside of a classroom in years, if ever. Little input is sought from the experts-the individuals inside of the classroom or administrators with expertise. This is an extremely frustrating part of the job.
Pros
Supportive network of peers
Cons
Do more, with much less mentality. "Knee jerk" decision making mentality
No Great Job
student assistant (Current Employee) –  MarylandDecember 20, 2016
Not worth all the hours you work. Pay is terrible. You will not be on this job for long. Don't apply. McDonald's pay more...

.................
.m.......
Not what you would expect
Food Services (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMarch 29, 2016
They will tell you one thing and do another. minimum wage with no benefits and it is hard to advance. the people are great but the company is really not.
Poor leadership
Special Education Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDNovember 2, 2016
AACPS is ran by poor leadership and management. Teachers are not support unless they are in a particular-Click. Supplies are very limited yet the expectancy to have high test scores is high.
excellent administration and leadership
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, MDDecember 26, 2016
Supportive work environment with room to develop professional skills and professional relationships, access to experience with a variety of student populations and diagnoses.
Fun Place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMarch 17, 2017
Great knowledge base and the county is progressive in all new educational strategies and is overall a great place environment to work in and I would highly recommend the county.
Fun place to work
Water Safety Instructor (Former Employee) –  Millersville, MDFebruary 27, 2017
Really fun place to work on the severn river. Get to interact with children everyday and teach them water safety skills that will stick with them for life.
A quick thinking, fast acting, self-fulfilling and hard-working environment.
2nd Grade - 5th Grade General Educator (Current Employee) –  Arnold, MD Belvedere ElementaryMarch 25, 2014
As an educator I have had to micro-manage many tasks. This profession has challenged me in a multitude of ways such as working with co-workers who were very productive verses unproductive. Working and appeasing administrators who were both reasonable and un-reasonable. I learned how to deal with adversity at it's highest level without losing the faith and assurance of the administrator that I was under. I have also learned how to juggle many different initiatives and mandated tasks as an educator that have allowed me to expand my work ethic beyond a basic level.The hardest part of the job is finding the time to complete all tasks that were presented in front of me, but with time management I learned how to complete it all in a day. The most enjoyable part of the job is completing the task in the given timeframe.
Pros
Healthcare.
Cons
Never receiving a single pay raise.
Great School
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDOctober 31, 2016
Working at the schools is like being with a family with lots of children. My team of kinder teachers are very professional, and also the rest of the staff. I love to work with kids.
Pros
Great hours...
Cons
Not enough after school programs
As Substitute
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDDecember 11, 2016
Generally, my experiences in the schools are good. I have had one or two stressful days, but the schools appear to be well managed.
School System
Temporary Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Millersville, MDOctober 26, 2016
Working at the school system can be hard at times considering I work at a high school in the special education department. All the some are the children have Autism I wouldn't change what I do for the world.
Good work experience
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Anne Arundel County, MDOctober 26, 2016
It was a positive experience to get my foot in the door at some Anne Arundel County public schools. I now substitute in Worcester County public schools and plan to continue this experience, part-time.
Conservative, narrow minded, stressful place to work
Preschool Special Educator (Former Employee) –  Odenton, MarylandMay 5, 2012
Anne Arundel County is caught in a time warp. Their schools are underfunded and purposely to put this burden on the teachers. In 2011 the superintendent received a 16% salary increase while the teachers did not receive anything but a cost of living increase. I had entirley too many special eudcation children in my classroom with no peer models as other neighboring school systems do have. I was told there was no money for field trips and my students were not allowed to have specials like gyme, art, music....The entire early childhood special education program was way behind current research and if you disagreed with the status quo then you were marked to be slowly removed from the school system by trumped up charges.
Pros
i enjoyed some people i worked with
Cons
some individuals were great to work with
Not one the greatest school districts to work.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  West county areaOctober 2, 2013
Teacher Assistants are paid way lower than other counties in MD. It is hard to grow with the company, they have a lot of nepotism going on. HR is unfair and hire their own family members and friends. People with no degrees or lower degrees make more than people with higher level degrees and experience and when questioned you are administratively transferred! Most everyone at the Board of Education in Annapolis is related or have known of each other! Sucks!

My specific school is ok. Principal acts understanding and is flexible. But the counselor does nothing but acts busy and dumps her work on everyone else. The TA's are just babysitters.

Time to move on.
Pros
Benefits, summers off, breaks
Cons
Pay, pay, pay!!! nepotism and favoritism
Great Place to Work
Teacher Assistant - Special Education (Current Employee) –  Annapolis,MdJuly 29, 2016
Most rewarding career working with students. Both Staff and Administration are usually cooperative and supportive. It is a great place to work.
Professional development is eminent
Teacher- Annapolis High School (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDNovember 20, 2012
This is a good place to work if one really wants to become a leader in education. Professional development is very prominent and educators have the opportunity to study from a number of cohort colleges. Educators have a lot to accomplish and the demand on ones time is really intense but new teachers get a lot of support. Teachers and administrators alike have a lot of behavior issues to manage especially in my particular school. Besides that, it is a very wonderful place to work as students, teachers and administrators coexist in a friendly and safe atmosphere.
Pros
educators have the ability to develop and health benefits are god
Cons
demand on teachers is a lot, there's little time for rest.
Great Place To Work
ADMINISTRATIVE / COUNSELING SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDSeptember 1, 2016
Great place to work. Great students and staff. Fast paced environment. Team oriented. Broadneck High School and Arundel High School have some of the hardest working faculty and staff in Anne Arundel County. It was a pleasure working along side such amazing people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Anne Arundel County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Anne Arundel County Public Schools Reviews by Location