Anne Arundel County Public Schools Employee Reviews

productive
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Old Mill highOctober 30, 2017
it was very challenging. People are very helpful when need to be. the supervisor do not mind giving a hand.The pay was wonderful and you also get benefits that can help you and your family aven your younger children.
Pros
always had activities
Cons
very well praised for good work
Anne Arundel Schools
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, MDOctober 28, 2017
I was hired for two preps, ended up with four. My lead teacher was unsupportive and difficult to work with. Lack of support from the Special Ed department chair. One class I taught, there wasn't a curriculum and it kept changing, making it very difficult to keep up. Another class I had no experience teaching, received no support but from one special ed teacher who literally taught me the lesson 5 minutes before class.

I would go home, work until 10 at night, then work another 10-12 hours on Saturday and Sunday, each. I had no time for a personal life or family.
Pros
I found some support from other teachers
Cons
Overworked, underpaid, no personal life
supportive atmosphere
Elementary Music Teacher (Former Employee) –  Severn, MDSeptember 22, 2017
Supportive atmosphere. Able to develop a program. Adequate parental involvement and good staff support. High student interest. Well funded program and excellent training and support.
rewarding educating children
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Anne Arundel County, MDSeptember 10, 2017
6 hour days , children are not difficult to work with in most cases other teachers tend to behave more like their students than adults. Parents expect teachers to take responsibility for what the children do at home when its just simply bad parenting
Pros
short work days
Cons
annoying parents
Very busy very rewarding place to call a career
Maintenance and Repair Worker (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDSeptember 6, 2017
Great environment , excellent benefits. Supervisors are the best of their kind and will not hesitate to help in any shape or form. Paid time off. You must accumulate by showing up.
Pros
12 -13 Days paid holidays. Great students, co workers
Its ok to work there
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDAugust 29, 2017
There is some favoritism going on there as far as how much work some have to do and how little someone else has to do. The job itself isn't so bad, just the amount of work is not equal per person..
Pros
There is no boss there at night
Cons
Not treated equal
productive and fun
Long Term Substitute Teacher(math) (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDAugust 18, 2017
productive and fun as a sub teacher you are placed where ever there was a need. Some school were ok others the work environment was not good. Overall it is an ok company
Very Strange Culture
HR (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDAugust 15, 2017
Never worked in gov't before, did not care for the cattiness and the need to please those that had been around forever or risk having people start whisper campaigns. It was a bit too much like high school and while the benefits were unreal they made up for it by not paying well.
Productive workplace
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDAugust 10, 2017
This is a family between staff and kids. No kid is left behind or put because of any problems. Everyone is treated the same no kid gets special attention. Directors are cool. Supervisors are AMAZING. It's just extremely homemade
Pros
Great people and families
Sub Assignments
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Anne Arundel County, MDAugust 8, 2017
Sometimes it's frustrating to choose a sub assignment only to be moved to a grade/classroom you do not wish to teach. This has happened multiple times, but as a sub you must try to go with the flow.
Not my favorite
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDAugust 2, 2017
The school system is ran through politics. If you have new ideas or opinions, you are considered a threat. Continuous changes in senior management team, policies, and inconsistent treatment of employees makes this place unloveable.
nice
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MD 21401July 20, 2017
great benefits have a great staff the pay is great I loved every employee they have a no non sense workplace theres all the overtime you want in the fall and winter months
Equity Liaison (Current Employee) –  Anne Arundel County, MDJuly 20, 2017
It's great to come to work and the kids brighten up your day. Helping children succeed is my number one goal. Kids are great. Staff is very nice also.
Pros
Safe environment
Cons
Having to sub for someones class
Great Work Environment
Senior System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 18, 2017
I work with state-of-the-art hardware and software. My manager keeps me busy and motivated with new projects to implement on a regular basis. The work/life balance is easily maintained here and my teammates are excellent to work with.
Part time substitute
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 11, 2017
I worked part time with students in grades K - 12, as a substitute teacher with AACPS system.

I always arrived early for the job, reviewed the lesson plans and implemented them.

Some of the students were challenging in that they did not wish to be in school or to learn.

I enjoyed learning new subjects with the students and directing them with new concepts and new subjects.
Pros
Proximity to my home - travel was easy
Cons
No benefits, pay came to be less than minimum wage
Assisted teacher with students on a daily basis
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJuly 8, 2017
Ensured the daily care of every child by following all licensing guidelines and implementing all company standards.
Helped to maintain a fun, interactive classroom that is clean and organized. Assisted teachers with various tasks and projects as needed. Enforced rules to teach proper behavior. I learned that all children have a different way of grasping concepts, to have patients, and love what you do. My workplace was always busy and productive, I enjoyed helping students. The most challenging part was trying to find multiple ways to help behavioral children, but I always found a way to make them happy and make sure they are respectful through the process. I enjoyed working with students and teachers that are wiling to work together and communicate orderly. I loved my students.
Pros
Always a laugh
Teaching
Elementary Art Educator (Former Employee) –  Anne Arundel County Public SchoolsJune 23, 2017
The job of teaching isn't what it should be. Too much focus on test scores and no concept of what a work life balance would actually look like when in a classroom.
Pros
The Students
Cons
The Administration and contract
Aacps
Math 8 and Algebra I Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDJune 21, 2017
AACPS is a nice place to work and to be a student. They have facts, gym, music, art, dance, many languages and more. Great school! People complain about the children being very rowdy, however, in my experience they are not any different than any other students from any other county. They are children! Staff is supportive and they work together to reach all students as needed.
Pros
Nice school
Cons
Teachers transfer out constantly
Good place to start
Teacher's Aide (Current Employee) –  Broadneck High SchoolJune 21, 2017
Lesson planning and student engagement makes this a rewarding and challenging job. I enjoy seeing my students learn and excel as they gain new skills and learn about themselves.
Easy Going Environment
Human Resources Technician (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MD 21401June 19, 2017
Need more management experience overall. Processes and procedures could be improved. Huge lack of technology throughout. Too many hands in the pot for each area causes confusion. Training program is limited.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
low compnsation