ANNE CARLSEN CENTER Employee Reviews in United States

Upper management needs improvement
DSP (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDNovember 6, 2015
As the saying goes, and my mom always taught me, if you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all. Therefore, I have nothing more to say.
Pros
clients and families
Cons
Upper management
Team Enivronment
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDOctober 6, 2015
Anne Carlsen Center in Grand Forks, ND, is a community based services office meaning we work to help individuals with disabilities ranging from severe to highly functional get involved with the local community. As a direct support professional I work one to one each day trying to encourage those I serve to reach daily and life goals. Whether it be from coaching an individual in a volunteer work environment to helping someone learn to cook her own meals, I have a strong drive to help improve and better the life of everyone I serve. Our office strives to work together as a team as well as individually serving our clients, we meet monthly and maintain good relationships in the community as well with one another.
Working with our clients is very rewarding to see them flourish in theirselves and in the community.
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDOctober 2, 2015
Working with people with disabilities is a very humbling experience as you learn some have to struggle with certain tasks that we usually take for granted. But when they master those tasks, it is the best feeling in the world that you helped them do this!
Educational and productive workplace to both teach and learn from both the students and coworkers.
Substitute Teacher, Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NDMay 24, 2015
A typical day at work whether it is as a substitute teacher at school or a direct support professional in the home areas is assisting students in completing their daily objectives and any physical needs a client may have.
The Anne Carlsen Center employees and staff are focused on giving their students and clients the gift of their independence. Through this goal I learned to take a step back and allow students to make their own decisions and complete tasks and objectives their way. This has been both the hardest and most enjoyable part of working at Anne Carlsen. It has been the hardest because I try to be efficient with my time and get as much done as I can in the least amount of time. However, working with any client, but especially clients with special needs my most efficient way may not be their most efficient way. This leads to how this is the most enjoyable part of my job. Seeing a student complete a task on their own and gaining another part of their independence has been the most rewarding part of working with students who have special needs.
Fun Challenges
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NDSeptember 15, 2014
Anne Carlsen is a fantastic place to work. It is difficult at times because of the high stress, but very rewarding. I loved working with the clients and families on a day to day basis.
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 5, 2014
Working with clients who are differently abled is the best part of this job. Seeing my clients grow and learn is fulfilling.
An organization with an opportunity for growth
Director of Community-Based Services (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 26, 2013
I don't have a typical day at work. My energy and time are spent on the locations that need me.

I learned it does not take a title to be a leader. We have leaders and teachers around us everyday.

It seemed to take a long time for management to make a decision because instead of just moving forward we would have meetings on the topics that could continue for 6 months with no answers.

My co-workers/the folks I supervised are amazing! I have enjoyed watching them grow and develop into the leaders they were meant to be.

The most enjoyable part of my job was watching people believe in themselves, the staff and the clients.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
time spent in meetings
its a fun place to work with kids
DSP (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NDJuly 8, 2013
Its a great place to work if you like working with handicapped kids. You learn a lot with working with these kids.The hardest part of the job is when the student leave to go to another home or they pass away.
Rewarding
Direct Support/Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NDDecember 20, 2012
The most enjoyable part of this job is knowing that you make individuals you support happy. The hardest part of the job is the abusive behaviors of the individuals you support and dealing with the drama of other DSPs.

I learned that patience is key in this line of work.
Pros
working with clients that love you
Cons
expensive insurance, abusive behaviors