ANNE CARLSEN CENTER Employee Reviews

Absolutely the worst management team I have ever worked for
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDAugust 21, 2017
When you are first hired at Anne Carlsen-Bismarck CBS, it is amazing. The supervisors do everything they can to make you happy. But after a month or 2 the honeymoon phase is over. They change your hours without you knowing, punish you for being friends with your co-workers, treat you like you are the lowest of low, and they never consider the clients they serve. They can't keep staff because of how poorly they treat them. Do yourself a favor and don't apply.
Pros
Decent pay & the clients you serve
Cons
Everything besides the clients!
Wouldn't recommend
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDMay 22, 2017
The overall culture of what it is you actually do as a DSP is wonderful, many of the clients are so incredible. The expectations of those that sit in the office is ridiculous. They don't take the time to get to know the clients on their caseload. Communication is practically non-existent. The front desk AA is a source of many gossips and rumors, medical advice is not followed with staff that get put on work restrictionst doesn't respect or appreciate their staff members or their concerns.
Boarding school environment for children with disabilities from autism to cerebral palsy and birth defects.
CNA (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NDMay 17, 2017
After report we would do rounds and clean suction apparatus, reposition patients and freshen as needed. The remainder of the shift included hourly checks, answering bed alarms and some mild housekeeping.
Pros
10 hour shift
Cons
One particular co worker
Autism Camp
Autism Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NDApril 27, 2017
you work with children that have been diagnosed with Autism or another social disability. you work with one-on-ones with children to cope with their emotions.
Upper management needs improvement
DSP (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDNovember 6, 2015
As the saying goes, and my mom always taught me, if you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all. Therefore, I have nothing more to say.
Pros
clients and families
Cons
Upper management
Ai
Autism Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Minot, NDOctober 19, 2015
As an interventionist I made lesson plans and provided community based supports. Often the supports were provided in home. Long hours of travel were required.
Team Enivronment
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDOctober 6, 2015
Anne Carlsen Center in Grand Forks, ND, is a community based services office meaning we work to help individuals with disabilities ranging from severe to highly functional get involved with the local community. As a direct support professional I work one to one each day trying to encourage those I serve to reach daily and life goals. Whether it be from coaching an individual in a volunteer work environment to helping someone learn to cook her own meals, I have a strong drive to help improve and better the life of everyone I serve. Our office strives to work together as a team as well as individually serving our clients, we meet monthly and maintain good relationships in the community as well with one another.
Working with our clients is very rewarding to see them flourish in theirselves and in the community.
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDOctober 2, 2015
Working with people with disabilities is a very humbling experience as you learn some have to struggle with certain tasks that we usually take for granted. But when they master those tasks, it is the best feeling in the world that you helped them do this!
Educational and productive workplace to both teach and learn from both the students and coworkers.
Substitute Teacher, Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NDMay 24, 2015
A typical day at work whether it is as a substitute teacher at school or a direct support professional in the home areas is assisting students in completing their daily objectives and any physical needs a client may have.
The Anne Carlsen Center employees and staff are focused on giving their students and clients the gift of their independence. Through this goal I learned to take a step back and allow students to make their own decisions and complete tasks and objectives their way. This has been both the hardest and most enjoyable part of working at Anne Carlsen. It has been the hardest because I try to be efficient with my time and get as much done as I can in the least amount of time. However, working with any client, but especially clients with special needs my most efficient way may not be their most efficient way. This leads to how this is the most enjoyable part of my job. Seeing a student complete a task on their own and gaining another part of their independence has been the most rewarding part of working with students who have special needs.
Fun Challenges
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NDSeptember 15, 2014
Anne Carlsen is a fantastic place to work. It is difficult at times because of the high stress, but very rewarding. I loved working with the clients and families on a day to day basis.
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 5, 2014
Working with clients who are differently abled is the best part of this job. Seeing my clients grow and learn is fulfilling.
its a fun place to work with kids
DSP (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NDJuly 8, 2013
Its a great place to work if you like working with handicapped kids. You learn a lot with working with these kids.The hardest part of the job is when the student leave to go to another home or they pass away.
Rewarding
Direct Support/Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NDDecember 20, 2012
The most enjoyable part of this job is knowing that you make individuals you support happy. The hardest part of the job is the abusive behaviors of the individuals you support and dealing with the drama of other DSPs.

I learned that patience is key in this line of work.
Pros
working with clients that love you
Cons
expensive insurance, abusive behaviors