Antelope Valley College Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Security Officer - LASD (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAAugust 1, 2017
My work day consisted of making sure the students on campus were safe. Writing tickets to people who were parked where they shouldn't have been. My Co-workers were great, and fun to be around. They made working there a great experience, and were there if you needed help.
Antelope Valley College
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJuly 28, 2017
Having worked for 4 years in the Office for Students with Disabilities, I learned how to handle many diverse personalities, and how to complete goals in a very timely manner while maintaining my own college classes.
Great for a student
Supplemental Instructor-Special Needs (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJuly 20, 2017
The job is easy to get, you don't have to have experience or anything. Just talk to the office for students with disabilities. I wish I would have done the office work instead though.
Interpreting
Sign Language Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJune 28, 2017
A typical day as an Interpreter on the AVC campus:
You show up for work early and go to each assignment. Some assignments will let out early and if they do you have to sit in the OSD (DSS) office for the remainder of the assignment. Sometimes your students don't show up and you're lucky if you boss lets you know ahead of time. If he doesn't then you show up to a class that may have been your only assignment for the day for absolutely no reason.

You are not required, but your coordinator makes it seem like it's required to go to these workshops that typically take place on a Saturday and range from 2-4 hours and are UNPAID.

Hours are given out by how much the coordinator likes you. One semester I was left with three hours a week while the best friend of the coordinator had 30+ hours.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
not enough hours, poor management
Scribe
Scribe (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJune 24, 2017
On a typical day I would go to a students class who was in need of assistance and offer help with taking notes, reading, etc. I have learned to have patients dealing with people with all different kinds of disabilities. I find the hardest part of the job is how easily you could loose your student (due to them dropping a class) and be working a for a long period
Pros
Experience working with people
Cons
not enough work
Amazing people, but...
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 14, 2017
Dont ever adjunct hoping you can advance. It is not just this college, it is California. Otherwise this is an amazing campus and the people who work here are mostly good and really care about education in all of its aspects.
Relaxed Work Place
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJune 14, 2017
The lack of need to perform causes anxiety among the supervisors. The Job was easy and simple, some times boring but usually fairly enjoyable. I love Tutoring and I enjoyed my self despite all the stress that circulates.
Pros
simple
Cons
not challenging
Great environment
First Year Experience Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJune 13, 2017
Antelope Valley College seems like a community and family. I really enjoyed your supervisors work with your school schedule and assist you with anything you need.
Good Experience to Work Your School
Associated Student Organization Officer (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJune 6, 2017
The main part of this unpaid position is going to the meetings every week. You will look over agenda items, and act on business that affects the campus. You also have to participate in campus events by working the tables, food, or registers. It is a great team to work with because it will be your fellow students.
Good Intentions Stated
Staff (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJune 6, 2017
Antelope Valley College has many good intentions that they present, but they often times hinder themselves by the lack of direction and lack of consistency with the implementation of policies and procedures. There are few documents that managers can go to they allow them to apply best practices across the board.

The campus talks about diversity and equity, but makes little strides to recruit diverse populations of faculty or provide support to increase conversation about diversity issues and squashes conversation that may be considered controversial and does not encourage dialogue about critical issues in our world.
Pros
Nice staff members to work with
Cons
Poor Leadership
Great place to work while pursuing degree.
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMay 23, 2017
A typical day at work is answering many phone calls to help students and faculty with technical problems. I learned to multitask very well in order to work quickly and efficient. The hardest part of the job was being one person answering and helping over 200 people in one work day. The most enjoyable part was being to help someone when they really needed it. The feedback from a person that is grateful is wonderful.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
healthcare
student job, great management
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMay 18, 2017
the management are very nice and supportive. always looking to help their workers move forward and provide them many learning experiences. great starter job for those wanting to move forward in customer service or the food industry.
Great for students. Don't expect many hours.
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMay 12, 2017
This job was perfect for students wanting to gain experience in teaching/tutoring. Students may not work more than 20 hours a week. Work schedule is formed to fit with class schedule.
Good place.
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMay 9, 2017
Flexible scheduling, nice atmosphere. Coworkers are friendly and the work is nice, since you're directly assisting with people getting educated in most situations.
Enjoyed working with other students
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAApril 18, 2017
Answered phones, file, created agendas, assist with all office duties and clerical support to management and director staff. Assist with outreach events and community service events.
Pretty cool job
Lead Student Assistant Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAApril 16, 2017
This was a really great job and I was able to learn alot from my boss. I would have never taken an interest in computers if not for this job. Now I have valuable skills that will take me far.
Busy productive office
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAApril 3, 2017
Typically I assist the students with questions that have to do with job opportunities that we have available. My supervisor overviews to make sure students are being helped with their questions. The best part of the day here in the office is getting the students a job.
Great Experience
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAFebruary 22, 2017
Great learning experience, great staffs, organized and clean they help you at a quickly paste. they answered all questions i had for them it was an overall great learning experience
Pros
Free Training
Cons
N/a
Assisting students towards their educational and career goals
Case Manager/ Desk Assitstant (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJanuary 5, 2017
A typical day here would be giving resources and assistance to students who are in need of expanding their education in order to reach a career goal. I learned how to deal with such an diverse group and become a source of encouragement and motivation to many different personalities. The managers all work as hard as I do in providing their time and energy to the students and they teach and treat all of their employees well. The fellow workers are assistance to myself in guiding students towards their educational and career goals. The hardest part of the job is being helpful without being an enabler. The student need to learn how to be independent and make the best use of the resources and assistance given to them. However, I can not allow myself to rob them of their learning experience by completing every step for them, although it may be tempting at times. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching a student advance academically and progress to the step of graduation, knowing that I had a hand in their success.
Pros
Working with diverse group and interacting with may personalities
Cons
Working with diverse group and interacting with may personalities
Great workplace, including wonderful people to work with.
Chemistry Lab Technician / student worker (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CADecember 17, 2016
The atmosphere at Antelope valley college is filled with enthusiasm and motivation. I really enjoyed working here and was able to grow so much professionally. There are alot of great people to work with and tons of opportunities awaiting. If you're looking for a place to grow as an individual and become more professional this is the place for you !
Pros
Flexible schedual
Cons
Limited hours for student workers