Antelope Valley Hospital Employee Reviews

Great place to work for a first time job in the medical field
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAApril 26, 2017
I learn to multitask on working st this place able to help out a certain amount of ppl and learn to work as a team and help the elderly ppl. I learned a lot in this field
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Pay was low
pay is horrible for the level of stress
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAApril 20, 2017
the nurses are under so much stress that they are so rude to eachother. team work is rare and the pay is a joke for any new nurse/new grad. unfortunately the patients suffer the consequences of underpaid, overworked, over stressed nurses. some doctors are very rude which does not help the working environment.
Pros
the cafeteria is great and cheap.
Cons
politics, pay
like the staff in the hospital better than in own department
Case Manager in Emergency (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAApril 18, 2017
Case management department a mess, new manager constantly. Department divided. Utilization review for new admissions, concurrent review, discharge planning.
Competitive wages, union
Emergency Room Registrar (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAApril 16, 2017
There is a high volume of patients, high stress job. The employees are under a union and there are competitive wages and increases which help make up for the cons.
Pros
Competitive wages and increases, union
Cons
High patient volume, stressful work environment
Experience was not rewarded.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAApril 15, 2017
No communication between staff and charge nurses. Many new nurses and enjoyed teaching them about something they had not seen before (cupping,coining) especially cultural diversity.
Pros
Enjoyed working with new nurses and we learned well from each other
Cons
No communication between staff nurses and triage/charge/ambulance triage
Place of provided passionate care
Secretary I (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAApril 13, 2017
Floor and support staff is clearly here to provide passionate non-stop care. Its a great honor to belong to a team of people who are so invested in patient comfort and satisfaction.
Pros
Teamworking peer attitudes
Cons
long and very stresful hours
Easy balanced place to work. Many great opportunities
Environmental Services Aide (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMarch 27, 2017
Cleaning, sanitizing corridors, guest nurses and doctor areas. Taking trash and linen out also biohazard. Many great ways of moving up as an employee to different positions.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Na
No job security
Help Desk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CA 93534March 26, 2017
Undermanned and highly stressful to work at. Management does not care about their Employees. No Job Work/balance whatsoever.
High turnover on Management
Pros
Cons
Highly Stressful place to wwork for
Employees become family
Emergency Department Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAFebruary 22, 2017
Busy, gain a ton of experience, fellow employees become family, lots of overtime if needed, countless continuing education opportunities.
Good place to learn
Patient Service Representative III (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAFebruary 17, 2017
Pays not to good ,very exciting to work in emergency room,2nd busiest hospital.Very rude patients,Good doctors to work around very nice nurses.
Pros
Fast pace, Room for growth
Cons
Short breaks, No support from upper management.
Productive and Fun workplace
Externship - Ultrasound Student (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJanuary 12, 2017
Busy, fast pace ED
learned many protocols
everyone tries to help
patient care is important
work environment is great
Enjoyed every minute
loved working here
Pros
busy
Cons
politics
enjoyed the job great place to work
admitting (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJanuary 8, 2017
very busy surgery center,I learned how to multi task management was great, I got along with my co workers, the hardest part of my job was when I wasn't able to help my patients ,my most enjoyable part of my job was helping my patients.
Pros
wish would could have worked 10 hour shifts and off 4
Cons
love my moring shift
Punitive environment, poor management
HR Department (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CADecember 18, 2016
Leadership training is desperately needed. Just about every employee receives a write up eventually. No direction provided, demeaning leadership, very rude.
Pros
Inexpensive food in Cafe
Cons
No management support, too political
My co-workers were the best at team work
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CANovember 3, 2016
Very busy department with recruiting and on-boarding. Assisting the HRIS Specialist in PeopleSoft and Kronos. The Director of the department is fairly new. Wonderful co-workers. I have worked with most of them my entire career at the hospital. The hardest part was screening applicants. The most enjoyable part was making an offer to a potential new hire.
Nice working evironment
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAOctober 27, 2016
A typical day at work would require me to help clean any dishes that have not been completed the shift before then going out into hospital and collecting left over food trays, and the cleaning those. Next we would serve the next meal and then after collect all food trays from the hospital and wash those. Learned how to work fast paced yet efficiently as well. All coworkers were hard working and dedicated to there job and always willing to help. Overall good experience working there.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not many permeant shifts
Clinical Experience
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAOctober 13, 2016
I had the opportunity to work as a nursing student on many of the units at Antelope Valley Hospital. We spent 8 weeks on each of the following units: Med/Surg, Pediatrics, OB, Mental Health, CCU, and PCU. The appearance of the hospital could use a little love but the staff who work inside those doors are absolutely wonderful.

I also got to spend some time in the ED during my summer preceptorship. The nurses in the ED are dedicated and determined. The ED is often overcrowded - meaning that sometimes the waiting rooms are full at the same time there is a line of ambulances out the back entrance, while patients line the halls in gurneys. As a student feeling a bit lost in the chaos, I was led by a few phenomenal ED RN's who did not hold my hand nor leave me hanging off their coattails. I was able to assist in multiple trauma intakes and a code blue. After watching the care and passion present in this department, I would trust these people to care for my family and friends.

I must add, the stuffed portobello mushroom in the cafeteria is pretty delicious too.
Pros
Nurses, Stuffed Portobello Mushroom, Good ED experience
Cons
Units need to be updated
Awful place
Help Desk Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CASeptember 22, 2016
Dirty, pushy, rude, and I would even say criminal. They should be investigated for medicare/medicaid fraud for issues I heard about second hand. Policys and procedures in their IT department was directly in violation of HIPAA.

Management doesn't care about staff and they have absolutely now concept of work life balance. I would never go back there for medical care.
Pros
nothing. may was good but not worth it.
Cons
horrible work life balance, disrespect. and under valued.
Great volunteer experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CASeptember 10, 2016
A great experience that teaches you a lot. Met great educating nurses with tons of helpful tips. Helped many people with simple necessities. A rewarding experience.
Pros
Free lunches, rewarding experience
Cons
Susceptible to airborne sicknesses
Inspiring facility, an institution for the people of the community
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CA 93534September 9, 2016
Facility is generally busy, but you learn a great deal of things from patient care, to healing, and integrity. The hardest part of the day is definitely the sadness and grief of patient's families when they pass. However in complete retrospect the best part of the day is seeing the smiles and happiness of others' when they are excited for the health and well being of the patient.
Pros
Free lunch is given to the volunteers
Cons
Unexpected situations are something you always have to prepare yourself for.
great pay with good hours
Pathology assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJuly 12, 2016
I have learned a lot considering i went in knowing absolutely nothing about pathology. Excellent boss, excellent hours and pay. friendly co workers. Hardest part was staying calm under pressure and making sure everything was done correctly.
Pros
weekends and holidays off as well as paid vactions
Cons
no benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Antelope Valley Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval