Anthem, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,798 reviews matching the search
The company is family oriented and provides well for its employees.
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOJanuary 9, 2017
When I worked for Anthem, the company provided me with great benefits for both me and my child. The work was challenging and I learned how to deal with difficult customers while working with multiple applications. I learned how to be a leader as well, taking over the role of team leader for the premiums department.
Pros
Excellent benefits for employees and family members
Cons
Enethical treatment of policy holders
Soul-killing work
Consumer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 6, 2017
Horrible work environment. Not worth the money. You are not important, neither are the customers. The only thing they care about is the almighty dollar and how they can get more of it. Greedy corporate fat cats leeching their astronomical salaries off the blood, sweat and tears of everyday working class people. SHAMEFUL!
Pros
Some jobs pay good, but you will pay with your VERY SOUL because of the workload and schedules and environment.
Cons
Nothing good to say about this company, managers promoted due to who they know, hostile work environment, huge deductibles and premiums for workers same as members, company's only focus is MORE MONEY FOR THE EXECUTIVES.
Productive and nice work place.
Switchboard Operator Tier 1 (Current Employee) –  Mason, OHJanuary 20, 2017
I really like what I do as a switchboard operator all though it's temporary. I enjoy customer service, to have the ability to calm a upset customer and get them to the department that can assists them. the management team is awesome within the company they acknowledge our work with rewards. We also have a great group of people that work within this company and we work as a team. If, I had the chance to become full-time I would.
productive , busy place to work
Customer service Call center (Current Employee) –  Newbury Park, CADecember 14, 2016
Anthem is a very diverse place to work
People of integrity and high standards do well at Anthem.
I was employed by Anthem for about four years. I was gone for a short time and came back .I have learned a lot and enjoy the line of business.
At times there is concern about business needs. Anthem does tend to lay off as the business needs change.
This can be concerning. Anthem does re-hire good employees when the business needs change.
Great company
Member Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Midland, GADecember 14, 2016
Very high demanding job. Love assisting customers with their questions and concerns.
I get along great with all my co workers and I have learned a lot about many departments while working there.
Hardest part is everything changes and you need to adjust seamlessly as much as possible.
Helping others is my absolute favorite part of working there.
Pros
Wonderful healthcare benefits
Cons
Very large company and you get lost in the shuffle.
Great compensation, but it's easy to get lost in the shuffle
SAS Programmer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 1, 2016
The short story is that Anthem pays great (salary plus bonus). If that's your top priority, take a look.

The trade-off is that the company is so massive, it's easy to get lost in the shuffle. Management turnover is common; they have to over-promise to get the jobs and move on (or are moved on) when they under-deliver.

Worrying about lay-offs was a constant. It finally happened after re-orgs and management turnover isolated our group. It was clear that no one involved in the decision knew what we did.

Also, make no mistake that your primary customer is Wall Street no matter what your job is.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Massive, Job Security
Job summary
OPW Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCDecember 3, 2016
Typical day at work is more or less you either are focused or you are not a lot changes everyday , I learned a lot and wish I had the chance to learn more and better teachers to explain the information, Management was the worst I have ever come in contacted with and I have worked with a lot of management . co workers came and went so hard to make friends , hardest part of the job was the demanding goals every day and good and bad days no enjoyable parts
Not for Everyone
Health Program Representative (Former Employee) –  700 broadwayNovember 29, 2016
Pros
no pros
Cons
alots of cons
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
RN Utilization Review (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 3, 2016
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield is very unorganized, bad management. Orientation was a waste of time. The orientation does not reflect what you do when you get on the floor. The retention rate is horrible which causes heavy, unrealistic workloads.It is set up like a call center and expect you to call 20 or more patients within an 8hour period. I won't recommend this job. Run the opposite way
Lots of outsourcing to sub par worker in very poor countries with bad English skills
Membership Rep III (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 7, 2016
This gets everybody at Anthem down and nervous. Every time work flow got low we knew that some people were going to lose their jobs. The ones usually chosen were the ones that were there the longest and made the most money.
Pros
Work from home. Flexible hours
Cons
little room for advancement, outsourcing, general feeling among employees that upper management only cares about numbers not their elmployees.
Okay place to work.
Customer Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDOctober 31, 2016
Job security is the number one issue. In the 3 years I worked for Anthem, Inc, I saw many people come and go. Company needs to establish a better new hire program for new managers and/or those transitioning to another/higher role. Spent over 40 hours at work each weekly, regularly and would only be compensated for 40 since I was salaried. In the end, the company ended up closing my department and I was laid-off due to "budget restraints".
Pros
Good and affordable benefit program, casual attire.
Cons
Managers and upper level management are over-worked, lack of job stability.
Worst compamy and worse manager ever , amerigroup Iselin
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Iselin, NJOctober 29, 2016
This is the worst company I have worked for in my entire 20yrs of working, pay was great..but found out it wasn't worth it...unprofessional management and mid management..high turnover..no direction..program was all over the place from day to day, no consistency...management instead of seeking ideas to make the company better, they spent time scheming to make employees life miserable..favoritism..it was just a sad and unhealthy atmosphere to work..
Pros
Cons
Micromanagment, worst manager and coworker gangs
Very productive
Claims Associate II (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAOctober 24, 2016
I processed claims for workers compensation for Blue Cross. It was a very productive job which I absolutely loved, even though I did the same thing day to day but it did not feel like it due to processing different claims with different codes. I would thoroughly enjoy getting back into processing claims again, either from a hospital or physicians office. I relocated to Oregon, and resigned from my position at Anthem/Wellpoint.
Pros
Very busy work
Cons
Very busy work.
Informaional and Challenging
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 21, 2016
Typically at work we were in charge of taking care of the customers by listening and handling there concerns and questions. I learned a lot about insurance and how to handle tough situations. The hardest part of the job for me would have had to been not being able to interact with the customers. I like customer service and helping people but I like the face to face interaction more. It is always an awesome feeling being able to connect and build relationships and partnerships with people you get to work with.
The Medicare Supplement department
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 11, 2017
The Med Supp dept was the worst to work for. the job task were fairly easy, however, most med supp members are 65 and older. So there was a lot of doing things just to appease the members, that was not necessarily part of Anthem policies and procedures. The main disturbance with that department was the lack of leadership quality and respect for the member. I absolutely loathed, and still cannot understand to this day, how, someone...ie, the member, and myself, request to have a supervisor assist and/or take the call. And I would be told no by team leads and supervisors, figure it out on your own. So I would honestly tell the member that my supervisors are refusing to assist us at this time. I mean, who does that?
Cons
Pay, Distant parking, susceptible to hackers. Members information was compromised.
Decent but not worth it
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 20, 2016
Very unorganized. No researchtime yet inventory must be worked. Fail 2answer your questions when surveys go toward your stats. Constantly changing!!! Member demanding help, oes demand better stats, your schedule rarely gets changed and manager constantly on you and they wanna know why they are constantly hiring.
Pros
Perks, giveaways, helping others
Cons
Occurences, no help, unorganized, you train yourself
Dont do it....LTSS Choices
LTSS Choices Program (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 15, 2016
Pros
Good pay
Cons
But not worth your time, seek another company
Family oriented, flexible
Membership Representative II (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 3, 2017
Anthem is a woman owned company so it is also very diversified, family oriented and flexible. Many learning opportunities and plenty of room to grow if you are willing to take control of your personal growth.
Pros
Great envirinment, open concept floor, fair and in depth training available
Cons
Promotions expectations are not always unilateral
Great place to work.Offers flexible work hours.
Business Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 20, 2017
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield is good place to work.

The company offers flexible hours and depending on the job, you may have the opportunity to telecommute.

The company offers good health benefits as well.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, telecommuting
Cons
Depending on your job title, you may have to work some weekends and holidays.
Customer Care Representative 1
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2016
When I first started working here the managers bragged about no micromanagement. It was true at first, but now it's not they are always breathing down your neck about every thing. Managers are often no where to be found, and when they are here they have the biggest smiles on their faces where as the agents and OE's (team leads) are always overwhelmed. The work load is not worth the pay.
Benefits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Anthem, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.