Anthem, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,679 reviews matching the search
Very political environment with little job security and many secrets
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 18, 2016
Managers play favorites and like to micromanage. It's rare to get a good manager. Several associates are lazy and try to find ways to put their work off on others. Can be cliquish at times. Too many unnecessary conference calls. To say it's such a large company, the I.T. infrastructure is terrible, nothing works all the time. Many associates are on the phone with I.T. on a daily basis to fix equipment. Management continues to find ways to do more with less (meaning employees) which often leads to employees being overworked and stressed. Difficult to move to other positions.
Pros
Telecommuting (work from home) opportunities
Cons
Healthcare benefits are not great ironically, untrustworthy management, frequent reorganizations and RIFs, I.T. infrastructure is horrible
Good pay and demanding expectations
Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 5, 2016
Your experience will depend on which department you work for and which leadership team is assigned to your unit which will likely vary. The pay is pretty good and you will learn fast with your feet to the fire. Everything is deemed urgent which makes prioritizing work a challenge. Because of the size of the organization, technology deployment is slow and conservative. Many departments have been outsourced which means internal support can be frustrating (e.g. technical support for equipment and systems).
Pros
Pay, work from home opportunities, opportunity to learn and grow quickly
Cons
Benefits, high demand on your time, poor technology support, conservative
Poor communication with management in solving problems. All changes are from the top down.
Behavioral Health Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHFebruary 1, 2016
All decisions about day to day operations of local department are made at the very top of the management hierarchy and trickle down to the workers who are supposed to implement the decisions. Workers have little input about how work will be done or how changes could benefit productivity. Decisions made at the top seem arbitrary to workers below. There is no feedback loop and no transparency. The culture is very corporate oriented, is very hierarchical and rigid. Questioning why things need to be done a certain way are not tolerated. The culture does NOT reward maverick thinkers or problem-solvers. Better to stay within the box. Or better yet, just stay quiet and keep your head down.
Pros
Starting pay is good.
Cons
Annual raises are minimal.
I enjoyed working for Anthem because of the opportunity for advancement and the atmosphere
Claims Rep. II/Lead/Staff Trainer (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTMarch 29, 2016
I like the people i worked with and for. good benefits and flexible hrs. there was opportunities to advance in the company and we were able to take different classes and shadow other areas. I can't say there is much job security but that pretty much goes for any company these days. We were able to count on raises, bonuses and cost of living increases yearly.
Pros
flexible hrs. growth and benefits
Cons
job security and computerized time sheets
Cubicle Employment
Membership Representative I (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 21, 2016
Anthem was a stable and consistent workplace that offered a flexible schedule which allowed the ability to balance my Job/Work Life accordingly. I enjoyed working with a great many employees who were in turns team-oriented and great to work with. I learned a great deal about the expectations of Medicaid and Medicare guidelines and the hardest part of my job was to remember a great deal of information which was not always readily accessible. The best part of my job there was that I enjoyed working with my colleagues to help write and implement process manuals to help process applications so new employees would not struggle to learn the guidelines for enrollment applications. I was able to use my experience to help be a valuable asset and increase production levels and employee understanding.
Pros
Flexible Schedules.
Cons
Inability to recieve recognition, raises or advance in rank; poor management.
Best Job I've EVER had!!! ♡♡♡♡♡
Claims Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 6, 2016
This is the ideal position for an introvert such as myself. I dont have to talk to anyone, the job is very independent (no micromanaging), work from home opportunities and Ive been blessed with a manager who recognizes potential in people and supports us in growth goals. There is an onsite cafeteria, full benefits, company matching 401K, amazing shift flexibility. The pay is ok.....average. It could be better but with all of the opportunities available there is no reason you can't make your salary what you want it to be.
Pros
Independence, Flexibility, Work from home, cafeteria, education reimbursement, gym reimbursement, great management
Cons
Pay
Anthem BCBS is a very good corporation to work for
Sr. Medical Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 18, 2016
The management at Anthem BCBS is very good. They appreciate your feedback, ideas and support you. I always got along with all my coworkers in the 27 years I was employed. As a corporation they are on cutting edge with implementing such things as flex time, job share, free fitness center. The compensation is comparable as the benefits are really good.
Pros
benefits, comfortable atmospher, flex time, salary
Cons
industry is unstable and always fear of losing jobs
Great Vision
Member Engagement Representative (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 22, 2016
A typical day at work is comprised of engaging our members, submitting reports, and reviewing new daily job functions. The most enjoyable part of my job in when I engage our members that have questions about their benefits. Some of our members are not fully aware of the wide variety of services that Anthem (Health Keepers Plus) Medicaid HMO and the State of Virginia provide to their members, many of which are provided at no cost.
Pros
Assisting with improving the overall health and wellness of our members
Cons
Team Structure
Servicing healthcare members one patient at a time.
Utilization Management Rep II (Current Employee) –  Mason, OHApril 5, 2016
Anthem is a competitive company that still gives and annual bonus and a yearly raise. They also give discounts on medical insurance based on improving your health. They also promote working from home in most departments. They reimburse gym fees if you work from home.
Pros
Working from home
unrealistic workload
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTApril 3, 2016
Anthem does foster a culture of cutover service. It does this by increasing the workload on it's customer service reps. Pressure is constantly put on reps and supervisors to improve performance metrics, without giving resources to do so. Increasing responsibility, without increasing compensation is common. Management above the supervisory level has virtually no contact with the workers apart from an occasional visit to the floor. You would think one of the leading health insurance companies would provide it's employees with great coverage. Not so, coverage constantly decreases year to year, and personal share goes up. Little benefits such as contests, lunches, picnics etc are slowly being eliminated. Employees are constantly reminded that their positions could be outsourced overseas at any time. On the plus side, promotion from within is the norm, the company recently moved to a new facility, with a wonderful cafeteria, and employee fitness center. Anthem does, truly put the customer first, and if I was shopping for a health insurance plan, they would be my first consideration. Maddeningly they leave in place systems and policies that can sabotage the best efforts of their employees. If you can put up with the grueling workload, and being treated like just another piece of equipment, you could find a career here.
Pros
Wellness programs
Cons
workload
Typical call center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 22, 2016
As a call center employee you're powerless to help 90% of the customer base in which you're servicing. Everything is at the hands of internalized structures, you're simply a representative of the company. The work was interesting at first but progressively became more convoluted as time went on. We were often told to transfer members to separate departments and hope they wouldn't get upset. Each call center utilizes its own customer service platform so god help you if you call the wrong customer service number. They'll not be able to locate you and you could be stuck on the hook for hours. Management was also apathetic to this. Our IVR was awful, constantly being maintenanced when it was likely the least of things needed worked on. Many of my coworkers had been there 2+ years and seemed to be dead inside. They don't pay well and raises are scarce. Ironically, their insurance isn't top-notch for its own employees. Personally, I would avoid them unless you're into getting berated for people not paying their premiums or refusing to understand common verbiage like "deductible" or "coinsurance."
Pros
Free parking and workout room
Cons
Low pay, stressful
I learned a lot about health care policy and claim processing.
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 18, 2016
It was a great work environment with wonderful Management.They treat all the employees as valuable members of the team
They offered great benefits, holiday pay and paid time off. The pay was very fair and there was always opportunity to learn and grow within the company.
Pros
benefits are excellent
Cut-Throat Leadership
Manager (Former Employee) –  TelecommuteJanuary 11, 2016
I was employed by Anthem for a little over a year. I was given a large amount of responsibility; much more than the other managers in the same position. Immediate supervisor feedback was positive every week and annual evaluation was good. I normally worked 50-60 hrs per week to keep up with the demands. As time went on, it was getting to the point where the job took over more of my personal life until I was doing nothing but working and my health was sliding. One month after my "good" evaluation, I am let go during the national "reorganization" and was told that they could find someone "better to do the job". Upper leadership superseded my immediate supervisor's recommendations and laid me off. No explanation, no closure, no consideration. I have come to learn that they took my responsibilities and divided them up because it was too much work for one person. The leadership in my division has no clue what is going on at the patient/physician/facility interaction level and they really don't care who they roll over or eliminate to try to keep their jobs. Shame on them.
Pros
Compensation
Too Much Pressure
Implementation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 17, 2016
Micro-Management at it's worst. Never a good time for time off. No decent raises, no decent promotions.
Many lay off's and great associates are being let go.
high pressure to satisfy customer
Pros
A decent paying job, good benefits
Cons
Micro Managing
Company in a whole
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mason, ohJanuary 18, 2016
I have been working in this department for several months and has been challenging to say the least. The trainer was good but using an outdated training manual verses what you learn from veterans whom have been in this department for 1year or more. The company standards are very harsh to employees whom work here especially when you are getting audited on quality of handling a call, not able to get out of your seat for a period of a time, and not able to have a fun place to work or diversity among fellow employees. I hope in the near future changes come.
Pros
Benefits are ok
Cons
diversity
Exceptional company to work for. Great salary/benefits
Provider Connectivity Mgr (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 5, 2016
As a full time well compensated associate, I often worked 6-7 days a week and 9-12 hours per day.
Working for this company, I learned the intricate nature of Health Insurance administration.
The hardest parts of the job were the work-life balance and working with a nationwide employer (we were often required to work around the schedules of other states).
The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers and the salary.
Pros
Well compensated.
Cons
Work-life balance.
Anthem is a great place to work
Business Change Advisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 5, 2016
Anthem is a great place to work. It offers competitive benefits, work at home opportunities, and is focused on employee satisfaction.
Pros
Work at home opportunities
good working environment
Bilingual Customer Care Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 8, 2016
typical day is to log into informational systems. taking calls from clients to explain their health insurance benefits. took Spanish calls from clients as well. assisted with claims and verified procedure codes. verified benefits and gave benefit options. best part of job was when something was NOT covered and after research and investigation we find code error that allowed a correction to get procedure covered. worse part of job was having to tell parent of autistic child certain therapies were no longer covered.
Pros
free coffee and parking
Cons
downtown traffic
Received great experience in case management
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 29, 2016
Was encouraged to become a case manager by a co-worker. Was able to attain my Case Management Certification due to all the experience the job offered.
Benefits
Cons
Upper management
perfect at home/work balance
Membership Representative II (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 5, 2016
great place to work with incredible benefits. flexible schedules and great incentives for promoting health, ability to transfer throughout the company and obtain training for different skillsets.