Anthem, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,741 reviews matching the search
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
RN Utilization Review (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 3, 2016
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield is very unorganized, bad management. Orientation was a waste of time. The orientation does not reflect what you do when you get on the floor. The retention rate is horrible which causes heavy, unrealistic workloads.It is set up like a call center and expect you to call 20 or more patients within an 8hour period. I won't recommend this job. Run the opposite way
my time
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 3, 2016
The work could be stressful at time but its a great place to work they really care for all the employees. All the staff got along very well can didn't mind helping each other out if need be. Its a cool place overall really going to miss it.
Great compensation, but it's easy to get lost in the shuffle
SAS Programmer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 1, 2016
The short story is that Anthem pays great (salary plus bonus). If that's your top priority, take a look.

The trade-off is that the company is so massive, it's easy to get lost in the shuffle. Management turnover is common; they have to over-promise to get the jobs and move on (or are moved on) when they under-deliver.

Worrying about lay-offs was a constant. It finally happened after re-orgs and management turnover isolated our group. It was clear that no one involved in the decision knew what we did.

Also, make no mistake that your primary customer is Wall Street no matter what your job is.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Massive, Job Security
Each Call offer an opportunity to advance your skill set.
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 30, 2016
This company offer an impeccable training program. The work environment was always positive. I made many long lasting friendships with my co-workers.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Travel Time
Fun work environment
Agency Service Rep I (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CANovember 29, 2016
Management is very helpful and engaged in daily activities. Helping our members and Brokers is one of the the brightest parts of my work day.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
Breaks are too short
Not for Everyone
Health Program Representative (Former Employee) –  700 broadwayNovember 29, 2016
Typical day at work is more or less you either are focused or you are not a lot changes everyday , I learned a lot and wish I had the chance to learn more and better teachers to explain the information, Management was the worst I have ever come in contacted with and I have worked with a lot of management . co workers came and went so hard to make friends , hardest part of the job was the demanding goals every day and good and bad days no enjoyable parts
Pros
no pros
Cons
alots of cons
Many work at home opportunities
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 29, 2016
Anthem has been involved in a lot of change as has much of its competetion. Work that can be sent off shore- from nursing to customer service.lots of management. Sedentary job. Co-workers are hard- working and feel silenced by mint
Pros
Bonuses, better benefits
great place
Member Outreach and Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 28, 2016
This company is a great place to work. You can advance and grow with this company and the benefits are great. Management is great and want you to advance.
The IHM department culture is unmotivated and no fun.
Nurse Medical Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 27, 2016
Promotion in my department is easy, because nobody stays. The department is IHM. Don't ever get a lead or regular case manager position in this department.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Culture is not positive at all. More about metric than the ppl you serve.
HEDIS Initiatives; Gaps In Care Workflow
Medical Management Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 25, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting into the field visiting providers and listening to how we as a health plan can assist them in servicing our members better. Assisting the provider offices in closing the gaps in patient health care is very important.
As with any health care plan the information can be made available but it is ultimately up to the member/patient if they want to take advantage of the service. You can educate a woman on the importance of a postpartum exam but you can not make her take one.
Because you can not control people and how they cooperate in the upkeep of their health makes meeting HEDIS scores difficult. I work with co-workers who are dedicated to helping our members reach their best health ever. Through hard work, dedication and committment the results we accomplish as a team is the most enjoyable part of the job for me.
Pros
Flexibility of work hours
Cons
Rigid Managment approach/Favortism in certain departments
Appeals Analyst
Appeal Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wallingford, CTNovember 25, 2016
Anthem is a very cheap company. All of their insurance plans for their employees have high deductibles. Their incentive plans are a joke.

Most prudent people entering a new job have an expectation of training to commence to learn your job. At Anthem, it does not exist. Fortunately for me, I had previous appeals experience, but what about the ones that don't? They just sit there and do nothing because there is not anyone around to teach them.

The management is a joke as well. The manager is full time remote from a different state, your only communication with the manager is either by phone or IM. The senior management is even worse, even when they are in the office, they are not very helpful - possible because their plate is so full. The management is not fair to their employees at all. For example, when we first started, we could finish a day of work at home or work a little bit on Saturday to catch up the workload, but the management put a stop to that because of other employees in another state. Why punish the whole group because a select few were doing things wrong? We worked hard and all they did was take privileges away. These same managers work from home more than they are in the office. So unfair to be told you can't work from home - by someone that is working from home.

The only good that I can think of is the fact that the normal work schedule for me is early.
Pros
Early work schedule
Cons
Micromanagement issues from management, insurance plans, poor work/life balance, holiday work, mandatory overtime, mandatory weekend work
launched my career
Lead, Call Center Operations (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 21, 2016
This is where I decided to stake a claim in the PBM industry. I learned what is need to be successful in the industry and feel in love
Pros
had a formula that worked
Cons
could not find the talent they already had under their noses
Anthem Blue Cross
Customer Service / Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 16, 2016
I worked for them twice. I think that tells a lot about the environment and the culture that they have. It is a great place to work.
Good Place To Work
HEDIS Lead (Current Employee) –  RemoteNovember 16, 2016
I enjoy my job and the people I work with. The only detriment is that salary is based more on your physical location (even if working remotely) than experience. I think advancement opportunities are a bit difficult, depending on what department you are in.
Pros
Remote work opportunities, good people
Cons
Salary qualifications
Productive WorkPlace New Facility and Awesome Employee Gym
Trainer II (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GANovember 15, 2016
Productive WorkPlace, Awesome Environment with room to advance in your career quickly, Striving Business and Friendly Staff. Anthem has a New Facility and Awesome Gym for Employee. Anthem's Staff is very Professional Staff.
Pros
Cons
You can advance in your career quickly.
Not sure what to say
Customer Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 15, 2016
This employer was the true definition of Corporate atmosphere. Customer service wasn't able to attend to a lot of the outside work functions "holiday parties" as they needed to be on the phones, managers took power and abused it. It just wasn't good.
Cold and boring
Customer Advocate / Insurance Sales (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 15, 2016
The only thing good about anthem is the cook in the deli, lol... Everything else is boring and cold feeling, its basically log in, do your work and go home
Poor management practices
Nutrition Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 14, 2016
Enjoyed working as a Nutrition Consultant in assisting clients with management of diet, health and exercise via telephonic communications.

-Job requires a lot of sitting and constant computer usage and access for accomplishing job duties and tasks.
Pros
Good compensation benefits
Cons
Poor job/work culture
Great Employees
Customer Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYNovember 14, 2016
Anthem is a call center, face paced environment which assists in helping participants to understand their medical insurance coverage from costs to deductibles, premiums and benefits
I worked with very nice people who stayed very busy.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCNovember 10, 2016
I worked at least 9 hours a day and rarely left me desk as my main executive was very busy. Time flew by and the day went by very quickly.