Anthem, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,892 reviews matching the search
Very poor management and lots of layoffs
Enrollment Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 16, 2017
This company will lay off their most tenured employees. They have not concern or care for their employees if you ask me. I talked to some of the permanent staff while I was there and several of the employees who had been there had invested a lot of time and loyalty into the company. They had went through several lay offs with anthem but just kept coming back when asked or needed. I was a temp there twice. i was a temp and laid off the first time after only being there for a short period of time and the second time was a temp through Judge Services and I was fired for something that the manager didn't even come to me and talk about. I literally had no idea that she had a problem with me. she didn't come to me to discuss anything just went to higher management and had me fired. I only found out the reason from asking the man that called to let me go.
Pros
good benefits and pay
Cons
lay offs, no communication
Large Company to Navigate and Learn From
Business Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CADecember 13, 2016
Typical day at work consisted of running analysis on various clients and providing to the Account Management teams. In addition to learning how to perform Analytics and Data-Mining, I learned about Employee Benefits and Insurance Products, communication skills, and public speaking. The Management team during my tenure at Anthem was exceptional; while they expected much, they made sure to provide help and guidance along the way. My co-workers were wonderful too, providing teaching and patience as I learned what I needed to help them. Hardest part of the job was learning to keep up with all of the changes due to the Affordable Care Act, and the most enjoyable part of the job was being mentored by my co-workers and other individuals throughout the company.
Pros
Co-workers, Office Events, Benefits, Time Off
Cons
Politics, Slow-Paced
Great company- Health & Dental Claims Analyst
Health & Dental Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mason, OHSeptember 29, 2016
Anthem is a great company to work for- one of the best jobs that I've had. Great benefits! Overtime is always available! Great employee discounts on so many things! Good opportunities for advancement! Good diverse company its nice to work with different cultures can learn a lot and develop good relationships. I am on a great team with great management & supervisors. There is days were it is very stressful but that is with any job you will have these days. They care about us as employees and we have a voice for improvements. But the good does outweigh the bad that makes a huge difference waking up in the morning preparing for work.
Pros
Good benefits, discounts, OT, Flex time
Great compensation, but it's easy to get lost in the shuffle
SAS Programmer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 1, 2016
The short story is that Anthem pays great (salary plus bonus). If that's your top priority, take a look.

The trade-off is that the company is so massive, it's easy to get lost in the shuffle. Management turnover is common; they have to over-promise to get the jobs and move on (or are moved on) when they under-deliver.

Worrying about lay-offs was a constant. It finally happened after re-orgs and management turnover isolated our group. It was clear that no one involved in the decision knew what we did.

Also, make no mistake that your primary customer is Wall Street no matter what your job is.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Massive, Job Security
Unorganized & Unapologetic
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 3, 2017
Very dissatisfied with this job as a whole. But I'm at my limit after being left out (supposedly by mistake) of training that would give promotion and more salary. Anthem annual salary increase is very low, literally a quarter or two extra on top of your hourly wage. This is very insulting when you have worked hard for a year and a half and you receive only pennies in return for your hard work. There is a lot of taking advantage of power, big egos, personal attitudes, and favortism games within management. Management is unprofessional. The company is unapologetic about the way it moves, lay offs, reorganizing constantly, change in policies, taking away incentives etc. They really don't seem to care about or value their employees. I don't feel appreciated by this company at all, I feel very unhappy. They hardly give any recognition for anything. At this point I'm fed up with this place & definitely looking for a much better place to work at.
Pros
Flex time, overtime
Cons
Unorganized, no recognition, low pay, very low annual increases, no remorse or apologies for their actions, a lot of personal attitudes from management, favortism games
A decent overall company with flawed individual departments
Network Management Representative II (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNOctober 17, 2016
This review is primarily based on my experience through Anthem's Minnesota location. During my time with Anthem building the company's dental network through dentist recruitment projects, I was hampered by immediate management's inability to structure a reasonable amount of work into our schedules. Other areas of our division suffered from the same mismanagement, but my area was one of two in need of new management. Overall, Anthem is moving in the right direction with smart acquisitions and financial health, but the Minnesota division definitely needs to be revamped.
Pros
Pay is generally on par with industry. Decent benefits and 401k match
Cons
Job insecurity, few advancement opportunities, flawed management philosophies
Ideal job many benefits
Patient Care Advocate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 21, 2017
inbound call center taking 80+ calls per day. I learnt a lot about people during this position, management was great, versatile culture. Hardest part of the day when one of you patients passes away. The most enjoyable part of my days would awards and bonus day other than that I think the most enjoyable to day for anyone would be the end of the day.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
gets overwhelming because you are dealing with terminally ill patients
Great people, Culture is Changing
TECHNICAL PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 24, 2017
Lots of hard working people in the technology area. Culture appears to be changing and remote positions are being told to come into the office so if you are looking for a remote IT position, this won't be available as was offered in the past. Please note that all positions require commutes to downtown Atlanta. Offices are described as collaborative, so no real cubical walls.
Pros
Competitive salaries, benefits
Cons
Limited rooms for conference calls
Great coworkers and managers
CUSTOMER CARE REPRESENTATIVE I (Former Employee) –  Midland, GAMarch 20, 2017
It's pretty much your average call center environment. The management there is really nice to work for and they are willing to help you as much as you need. The hardest part of this job was the stress and anxiety I went through. It's a little difficult getting to know all of the systems and knowing where to go to get the answers the members are needing. In all, the job is really great, benefits and pay are pretty good, and the people you work with are amazingly sweet. I honestly wish I kept the job but I couldn't get through the anxiety and panic attacks.
Worked with a lot of people and had to keep up with the every changing insurance market.
Membership Auditor (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHMarch 15, 2017
I started at Anthem out of high school and saw a lot of changes both with associates and the insurance market and the business environment. I spent most of my time as an employee in the membership division and started auditing other employees work after numerous changes in computer technology. When about half of the auditing staff was let go I took an early retirement
Pros
the pay wasn't always great but we generally had good benefits.
Cons
benefits decreased as the pay scale was raised
Not the best place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  ColoradoSeptember 7, 2016
I worked for Anthem and it was horrible. The managers for the National Accounts in Denver are all on a power trip. They take extended lunches and break and never have time to answer your questions. They steal your bonuses that you you are "suppose" to earn and write you up for unjust double standards. There is alot of work and a ton of underpayment for the work load. Be very critical about choosing to work here.
Pros
The benifits are really great. The 401K match is also really good.
Cons
Management and the lack of communication, it is not a place if you want an enviorment to support a work life balance.
Culture of fear
Consumer Associate (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 8, 2016
While training was offered, It is a culture of fear environment with poor management. Training was a guise to help employee improve but really was showing what issues there were to be set up for termination. Asking questions and trying to get additional help or clarification will get you fired from Anthem. Horrible experience.
Pros
Good benefits, health insurance.
Cons
Strict time restraint, timed by the second breaks and lunches. Not a laid back environment.
Overall, a very boring job at an okay company
Behavioral Health Care Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2017
The hardest part of my job was the sloth-like crawl of the bureaucracy. Overall, a very rah-rah, self-congratulatory management style and corporate culture.
Pros
Short commute.
Cons
Short lunch breaks and mediocre benefits.
Good pay...
Health Plan Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHMarch 10, 2017
Compensation structure is fantastic. Systems are antiquated and need updated to streamline processes and allow sales and retention staff to manage customers more efficiently.
Pros
Competitive wages
Cons
Outdated systems, Poor management.
Great work/life balance
RN Clinical Consultant (Current Employee) –  AlabamaFebruary 7, 2017
Great work/life balance
Great management ladder program
Wonderful Compensation
Many opportunities
Stressful at times
Communication could be better between departments
Pros
Work at home
Cons
layoffs
Poor management practices
Nutrition Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 14, 2016
Enjoyed working as a Nutrition Consultant in assisting clients with management of diet, health and exercise via telephonic communications.

-Job requires a lot of sitting and constant computer usage and access for accomplishing job duties and tasks.
Pros
Good compensation benefits
Cons
Poor job/work culture
Excellent company to work for
Financial Consultant Sr (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAMarch 18, 2017
Management style is excellent, fact faced, lots of opportunity.
Excellent 401k, health benefit, and work life balance.
Work environment is excellent.
Okay place to work
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAFebruary 22, 2017
Flexible and always busy work schedules. Work from home is a good option. Good benefits to thier permanent employees. Not so good for the vendors. No job security. In the area I worked, the Leadership changes very frequently and so is their long term goals. Big projects always struggles due to lack of long term planning. The middle and lower layers always struggles to meet the project milestones.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Busy work schedules
You are just a number
Claims Examiner II (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYFebruary 26, 2017
You are expected to process a large volume of claims while having limited knowledge to do so. You are encouraged to ask questions, but are told you are wasting time if you do. I worked for this company for over 3 years with the bulk of it being customer service. I decided to apply for a claims job and got hired for it. I sat through an online training class with the trainer in another state who breezed over what we were supposed to do. After training class is over you are expected to process claims accurately by working your way up to the set standard quota. You are to do this accurately and with zero to no errors. The company makes you feel like a number based on your numbers. The HR team will pick and choose who they help depending on how big of an issue you raise. You are encouraged to go for other jobs with the promise you would be hired and be a great fit for the team only to have that taken away from you because of a manager who plays favorites. The pay is too low and the cost of the company's own insurance for its employees is too high. Research this company before you make the choice to apply and work for them. Management is all over the place with so many methods and ways to do things. Managers have been at my location for years and years. HR does not want to help at all either. Workplace culture is a joke, laughable at best. Hardest part of the job was trying to identify the issues at hand with limited help and the best part of the day was leaving.
Pros
flexible schedule in the claims department
Cons
too little pay for what you are expected to do, no real guidance and made to feel like you are a bother to the management
Agile Work Place
Lead Production Support (Current Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOJuly 10, 2016
Maintain and improve contact center technology area, working in a fast pace agile area while providing great customer service.

Using the latest technology to provide best in class service to our customers, allows us to stay at the leading edge of the technology.

Management turnover creates challenges for career development and goals setting. In a year management change will occur 2 or 3 times.

Best co-workers you could ask for, they take pride in their work and driven to success no matter the challenges that are thrown their way.

The hardest part is dealing with a very reactive environment with little proactive thought by leadership.

Able to help our users and see their appreciation for helping them do their job better. The people I work with every day is the best part of the job.
Pros
Cons
Little to No Career Development

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Anthem, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

78%