Anthem, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 2,118 reviews matching the search
nice in the beginning
Claims Representative II (Current Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIJuly 20, 2017
you have the option to work at home if you meet all requirements. you have to be able to meet production and quality goals. work mostly with by yourself. nice entry level job.
Not what they claim
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJuly 20, 2017
Anthem provides ample training (nearly two months) and gives you loads of encouragement. The difference from the class to the floor is astounding. Bad attitudes all around and the opportunity for advancement is not as abound as they made it seem. You pretty much have to sell your soul to the company to get ahead and be willing to live there.

I have never worked some place where there was so much negativity both on and off the floor. Even managers were spotted trash talking each other then smiling about it later. I was excited during training and thought I was going to be doing something really good but every keystroke is scrutinized and handled in seriously the most unprofessional manner I've experienced.

The training was the best part of my job there and honestly it would not have to be so extensive if they didn't use such antiquated systems. They brag about the hundreds of millions of dollars they make in revenue but they won't update their computers or programs. On top of the drastic pay difference between the entry level person and the managers. It isn't encouraging - it's slavery.
Pros
New facilities and in depth training
Cons
poor management, inadequate pay for the stress
Good company.
Director, Network Management (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 19, 2017
Good company with great co-workers. The company offers an assortment of education opportunities and pretty good benefits. Most health plans have employee potlucks, lunches and have events for employees to have fun.
Pros
Company offer work from home positions.
Cons
Little work life balance.
Great Coompany
Strategic Vendor Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJuly 19, 2017
Great company with good benefits, flexible scheduling and work from home opportunities.Very fast paced and extremely stressful environment with little support.
Pros
Flexible schedule, work from home
Cons
Stressful environment
great company with great benefits with a relaxed culture
Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJuly 19, 2017
Everyone expected to perform at their optimal level but aren't micromanaged. This allows associates to feel more comfortable, learn and grow and reduces everyday stress. Management was supportive and helpful and provided the right amount of guidance for each associate. Great team environment where everyone was willing to help each other out. Hardest part of my job was not being able to see all the people I worked with even at annual sales conferences which helped with having a stronger, better working relationship. Best part of my job was the work/life balance, not having to "clock in and out" as long as I'm always available and doing the best I can. Never missed any deadlines and was willing to give more than 100% because I was happy with my team and management.
Pros
many work at home opportunities
Cons
don't get to have too many in person meetings, conferences, etc
No regard for Employees Morale
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 19, 2017
We are micro managed, some of the managers do not know how to perform the job that we do therefore they can not help us when we have questions, and some of the managers play favorites, Very little training is offered when introducing new job duties..
Pros
They Pay well
Cons
Low Morale
it sucks
Claims Representative I, II (Current Employee) –  Mason, OHJuly 19, 2017
Anthem is a terrible place to work. I have been laid off 3 times. It doesn't matter how good you are. I put in over 40 hours and my production was off the charts and Anthem still laid me off. They do it all the time. NO job is safe.
Pros
you can work at home
Cons
your job is not safe
Database Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2017
I worked at Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield full-time (More than 7 years)
Loved Working with my team!! Great Experience so far!!
Anthem offers great benefits, Work at home opportunities are great,
my most favorite is Mylearning portal there are many online courses are available for you to take it at your own convenience
Great work/life balance. I've heard and experience nothing but great things
Pros
Anthem offers great benefits, Work at home opportunities are great
Cons
Anthem constantly needs talent. I hope hiring mangers consider hiring inside talent first.
Overall very good
Subject Matter Expert III (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 18, 2017
Overall Anthem BCBS (WellPoint) is a good company to work with. Very high turnaround though. The people are nice. Managers can be a little iffy. Most frustrating thing about this job is advancement is based on who you know not what you know
Pros
Nice compensation
Cons
Hard to advance
Company fails to provide proper training....
CSR1 (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEJuly 17, 2017
They cycle though employees, they will tell you to ask for help, but then do no provide the proper or addlt training as requested, Pay decrease after hired on full time. Had a horrid work experience with Anthem and would not recommend them as a future emplyer for anyone looking for long term employment.
Office space was in a dingy basement in an old building with horrible air quality where I got sick for over 2 years.
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCJuly 17, 2017
This job was through a third party company, HCL America, that really did not treat its employees fairly. Also, due to job failures and blatant disrespect to female employees, the person supervising me was dismissed 6 weeks after I left the company.
Pros
There were health benefits with the job.
Cons
Break schedules were managed poorly, in fact my work shift was 3 p.m. to 12 p.m., and my meal break was at 10 pm.
Worst Managed Care Organization - Micromanagers - No Work Life Balance
Project Manager - Marketing Project Management (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 17, 2017
A typical day involves uncontrolled chaos and being managed by people who don't have the credentials or experience to be in their position. The culture is fake and the "core values" are just a pretty piece of paper with words on it - they are followed out of fear not because the leadership is inspiring. The shareholders are large and in charge - as soon as they are not getting the profits they want cut backs and hiring freezes happen... often.

The whole managed health care is such a scam and they are just wasting tax payer/state money to market medicaid products.
Pros
Gym and some childcare reimbursement.
Cons
Salary is low for management positions, BIG micro-management and Managers/Leaders don't trust employees to do things
Very demanding and stressful job
Consumer Service Associate I (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 17, 2017
A typical day that Anthem for me as a Consumer Care Associate consisted of taking inbound calls and inbound chats from Anthem associates and Eli Lilly associates. .Answering questions about claims, benefits, and advising members about programs that were offered through Anthem such as Future Moms , and Complex Care and Condition Care programs geared towards helping members take better care of themselves by being better informed.
Pros
Helping members and giving quality customer service and the money
Cons
Management, dealing with unreasonable members
Productive and fun place to work
Claims Processer II/Utilization Management Rep (Current Employee) –  Mason, OHJuly 15, 2017
Anthem offers many different work options which helps with a working family.I enjoy it because I am able to work from home which really helps out with work and family balance
Progressive, Empowering, Relaxed work environment
LTSS Housing Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 14, 2017
I work from home as do many people in my division. The managers are professional, knowledgeable, and flexible. Creatives and critical thinkers welcome
Pros
work from home, good pay, relax
Cons
multilayered management, low-risk threshold
Good full-time job
Communication Coordinator II (contract/temp) (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJuly 14, 2017
I am a contract worker, called a "temporary" at Anthem. "Temporary" associates are a little like step-children. We get left out of a lot. But that's the nature of contract work. I think the workplace culture here is really pretty great. The people certainly are.
Terrible Place to wrk
Customer Care Rep II (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 14, 2017
Depending on whom you are your workload would differ, if mgmt liked you you would be given easier work. Most mangers did not care about the employees.
Pros
cloose parking
Cons
everything
work environment
Health Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 13, 2017
The morale of the work place was very low. Manager showed a lot of favoritism. the merge of the company has not been helpful. the people have left the company because of how the morale has changed. The employees are not happy. The pay is not good.
benefits
Cons
pay
Productive & Fun Place
HEDIS Abstractor (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTJuly 13, 2017
My day started off as a typical work day. I learned alot regarding the system that was used and the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know coworkers as well as manager.
HIgh Paced
Sr Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 12, 2017
Very stressful in the insurance industry.. For those who like to cultivate and retain relationships in the industry however the payoff is fantastic and lots of opportunity to grow professionally.
benefits
Cons
stress of the changing industry

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Anthem, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval